• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

stormfire

Nov 26, 2018

Samsung on Tuesday finally revealed details of its new flagship phone, the Galaxy S20, and its next folding device, the Galaxy Z Flip, at its Unpacked event. The Korean tech giant also talked up partnerships with companies such as Google, Netflix and, on the gaming front, Microsoft.

David Park, Samsung's director of strategy, said on stage that the company is working with Xbox on a "premium cloud-based game streaming experience." Park didn't offer any other details, just saying more would be revealed in the future.

Microsoft is currently previewing its own game streaming service, Project xCloud. The cloud streaming service is expected to tie-in with Microsoft's upcoming game console, the Xbox Series X, that comes out later in 2020.

"We believe players around the world should have access to great, high-quality games on the device of their choice," a Microsoft spokesperson said via email Tuesday. "Working with partners like Samsung is an important step in our Project xCloud journey and will help make game streaming more accessible for gamers. We look forward to sharing more later this year."

Along with the announcement of a partnership, Park revealed Microsoft's Forza Street will come to Galaxy devices. Those interested can pre-register for the game on the Galaxy Store or Google Play.
From CNET

SuikerBrood

Jan 21, 2018
Really looking forward to use xCloud. Wasteland, Gears Tactics and Age of Wonders on the go is gonna be awesome.

Yogi

Banned
Nov 10, 2019
Good news but why just Forza Street and galaxy devices, hopefully it's just the start.

Also, the DualShock 4 sucks with phones, including Samsung Galaxies. Over bluetooth the connection drops and there's noticeable (but not terrible) latency, even with auto-connect apps. With an OTG cable, it charges the controller rinsing your phone battery. I could connect the DS4 to the main system instead but then I have to be near it for the bluetooth to work.

I'm seriously considering getting a new Xbox controller with a phone mount just to stream games to my phone (but from my PC). Does the newer bluetooth Xbox controller work flawlessly with galaxy phones?

Last edited:

BeI

Dec 9, 2017
That's cool, but the image of a phone strapped to a controller hurts my existance. Is that really how people want to play games on the go?

I KILL PXLS

Oct 25, 2017
Kind of confused about what this is exactly. I can't imagine it's another service in addition to xCloud but that's what the article makes it sound like.

Lukar

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
Is that an exclusive? Interesting.
Forza Street is already out on iOS and Android (in certain parts of the world, anyway). This is just an announcement of it coming to Galaxy devices, which... I guess it wasn't for some reason? I'm not sure, I'm not all that familiar with the game. It definitely isn't exclusive though.

jon bones

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
xCloud hype is taking off for sure - such an exciting year for gaming

That's cool, but the image of a phone strapped to a controller hurts my existance. Is that really how people want to play games on the go?

No, the BT hop can be avoided by products like this (razer is pushing it as ideal for cloud gaming)

razer-kishi-1200x630.jpg

defaltoption

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austin
Microsoft is going to make so much damn money off cloud streaming regardless of xcloud, they seemingly are getting their hands in everyones pie

T0kenAussie

Jan 15, 2020
Microsoft is going to make so much damn money off cloud streaming regardless of xcloud, they seemingly are getting their hands in everyones pie
Welcome to the Xbox ecosystem future, all devices and development benefits from a unified storefront.

if this pays off and is consistent and convenient for people then it has the chance to become the steam of game streaming

Vasto

May 26, 2019
xCloud hype is taking off for sure - such an exciting year for gaming

No, the BT hop can be avoided by products like this (razer is pushing it as ideal for cloud gaming)

razer-kishi-1200x630.jpg

Was a fan of the Junglecat and when I saw the Kishi revealed at CES I became even more excited. Hoping to see more companies making products like this for X Cloud.

Bman94

Oct 28, 2017
Where is the actual sign-up though? I don't see any mention of Forza Street on the Google Play store, I'm totally down for some portable Forza

kubev

Oct 25, 2017
California
Will be nice to have the Xbox streaming app built into the TV
Welcome to the Xbox ecosystem future, all devices and development benefits from a unified storefront.
Yeah, the Xbox ecosystem has the potential to be on practically anything with a screen. This is why Microsoft doesn't care about limiting Xbox games to new hardware, and this is why console sales ultimately won't matter. I'm buying an Xbox Series X on day one, but it's nice to know that some people will essentially just be able to get into the ecosystem because their TV has a built-in app or something. If xCloud works anywhere near as well as GeForce NOW (which actually manages to feel native from my experience, even for mouse-look in games), then I can understand how a lot of people might be perfectly content with relying on a streaming service for their gaming fix.

Filipus

Prophet of Regret
Avenger
Dec 7, 2017

You can also just Bluetooth connect it, it adds latency but from my little testing (like, 10 min ago) it really isn't a deal breaker at all. I was playing descenders and I couldn't notice ANY latency.

Also I don't think Xcloud is ready for "on the go" right now.

Good news but why just Forza Street and galaxy devices, hopefully it's just the start.

Also, the DualShock 4 sucks with phones, including Samsung Galaxies. Over bluetooth the connection drops and there's noticeable (but not terrible) latency, even with auto-connect apps. With an OTG cable, it charges the controller rinsing your phone battery. I could connect the DS4 to the main system instead but then I have to be near it for the bluetooth to work.

I'm seriously considering getting a new Xbox controller with a phone mount just to stream games to my phone (but from my PC). Does the newer bluetooth Xbox controller work flawlessly with galaxy phones?

Not sure about the galaxy but just tested it with a OnePlus and it works great. Would really recommend the xbox controller.

Windu

Oct 25, 2017
Microsoft has a more broad partnership with Samsung. Some of it involves pre-installing Microsoft apps on Samsung devices. The Xbox Game Streaming app will no doubt be one of them in the future.

www.theverge.com

Microsoft and Samsung partner to bridge Android and Windows closer together

Microsoft’s Your Phone app is the key.

Also odd announcement about that awful Forza Street game. Its coming to all Android devices, not just Samsung.

You can play it on PC here:

If you enjoy watching a video, then its the game for you.

Alucardx23

Nov 8, 2017
It should be a matter of time until Samsung also starts to include Xcloud on their smart TVs. Xcloud or whatever version of it they create in collaboration with Microsoft.

nekkid

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Presumably you'll get 6-12 months of Game Pass and xCloud with every new Samsung phone purchase.