• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

ZmillA

Oct 27, 2017
The 980 is the only SSD that currently MIGHT meet Sony's requirements for SSD expansion for the PS5

ok I'm wrong

Last edited:

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
curious about Sony's mounting system. NVme drives are not the easiest to fit - oh just put it in at the right angle, pin it down, screw into place, strap a heat sink on top. And they seem pretty flimsy for people not famliiar with building PCs. I hope sony have a simple and relatively foolproof way to mount them, and obviously some access to heat dissipation internally to avoid throttling.

Nostradamus

Oct 28, 2017
Huge markup as expected with all proprietary peripherals. Storage expansion is going to be very expensive for both consoles (since the PS5 only supports high end SSDs).

Theswweet

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
California
The 980 is the only SSD that currently MIGHT meet Sony's requirements for SSD expansion for the PS5

?
www.techpowerup.com

ADATA XPG Launches GAMMIX S70 PCIe Gen4 M.2 2280 Solid State Drive

ADATA XPG, a provider of systems, components, and peripherals for gamers, esports pros, and tech enthusiasts, today announces the XPG GAMMIX S70 PCIe Gen4x4 M.2 2280 solid state drive (SSD). With the launch of the S70, XPG now offers a comprehensive lineup of Gen4 SSDs, which includes the GAMMIX...

gofreak

Oct 26, 2017
curious about Sony's mounting system. NVme drives are not the easiest to fit - oh just put it in at the right angle, pin it down, screw into place, strap a heat sink on top. And they seem pretty flimsy for people not famliiar with building PCs. I hope sony have a simple and relatively foolproof way to mount them, and obviously some access to heat dissipation internally to avoid throttling.

Given the size of the unit, I'm kind of hopeful of a fairly sizeable bay surrounded by good airflow. Going with a fixed-size small expansion card probably helped Microsoft a little with their box form factors.

Last_colossi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Australia
Well a 980 pro for my PS5 next year it is then.

The expansion SSD is made to Microsoft's spec and as long as it keeps up with the integrated SSD then that's fine with me but I definitely think a price drop will have to come sooner than later now.

ZmillA

Oct 27, 2017
?
www.techpowerup.com

ADATA XPG, a provider of systems, components, and peripherals for gamers, esports pros, and tech enthusiasts, today announces the XPG GAMMIX S70 PCIe Gen4x4 M.2 2280 solid state drive (SSD). With the launch of the S70, XPG now offers a comprehensive lineup of Gen4 SSDs, which includes the GAMMIX...

Damn I was basing my post of a story that was written a day or 2 ago and its already out of date!

VerySerious

Oct 25, 2017

I think the PS5 just has a slot at the back that you just put the SSD into. No screws required, as far as I know.

BeI

Dec 9, 2017
With all that extra speed on the PC drive, I wonder if it would actually get you into games any faster than the standard X drive anyway. Could also potentially get a 2tb drive that is slower for the same price as the X drive.

tulpa

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
?
www.techpowerup.com

damn lol look at the size of that heat sink. wonder if the M.2 drive bay will have any issues with drives that big

Magio

Apr 14, 2020
Think off the shelf M2 always needs a screw, no?

The screw is only there because the M2 port on the mobo is angled by default to make it easier to insert, so it then has to be held in place.

We don't know how Sony's doing it on the PS5, but there a plenty of toolless ways to go about it. We'll see what they went with later I guess. Doubt they'll make you have to open it up and insert it straight on the mobo, so it likely won't be exactly the same process as if you were putting the drive in a computer.

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
I'm glad PS5 use standard M.2 form factor drives. Drive those prices down for PC, more demand, more suppliers. Hopefully it won't create too much demand, and not enough NAND flash memory like phones and things did for dram memory a few years ago.

Night Hunter

Dec 5, 2017
This is not true. Cerny said specifically you won't need to match the PS5 SSD speed necessarily.
Where did he say that? It's quite the opposite from what I can remember. 3rd party SSDs will have to have a higher speed to compensate for some other stuff.

But anyway, what counts as a high end SSD today won't be so high end and expensive tomorrow. End of 2021 you'll probably get an EVO with those speeds in a sale for 150 or less.

Wil348

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder if the 980 Pro would work with PS5? That read speed has me somewhat doubtful; 5GB vs 5.5GB, then Cerny mentioned some kind of required overhead due to the 6 priority levels on the PS5 SSD vs the conventional 2?

Serious Sam

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Why does this matter unless you plan on carrying $200 cards around that can only be used with non-portable consoles? Vita memory cards were smaller than SD cards, does that make them worth more money and was it a better decision that Sony forced you to use them instead of having an SD slot?
It's important distinction, because storage of SD card variety (including Vita cards) is hilariously slow compared to Xbox expansion card.

Comparing this situation to Vita cards situation is far fetched imo. Sure, price could be slightly better, and I think it will with time, but for now it's fine. People with XSX won't even need to buy this card for at least 6-12 months.

Friskyrum

Jun 25, 2019
I just find both notions ridiculous so thought if I went for hyperbole it would get people to understand that. Seems to have failed.
I don't see how it's ridiculous for someone not wanting to buy a product being produced by a company known for high failure rates but what do I know? People in here already have complained about how they've had drives fail from said company. I've experienced it also.

They're known to have high failure rates. The 360 was years ago, Seagate is known for it every year, so what are you even doing? I don't see the point.

Nostradamus

Oct 28, 2017
This is not true. Cerny said specifically you won't need to match the PS5 SSD speed necessarily.
I thought that not only you have to match it, but exactly because the external drives use less lanes than the 12 lanes of the internal drive, the drives need to be even faster than the internal.

Theswweet

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
California
I feel like we don't even really know if sequential speeds will even matter for games. It's entirely possible that even a SATA drive would be more than sufficient.

tzare

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Catalunya
Well, this would put the propietary solution from MS a bit on the PSVita MC position, overpriced.
But if compatible with PS4 seems pricey but probably will improve in a year time to reach affordable prices.

bruhaha

Banned
Jun 13, 2018
It's important distinction, because storage of SD card variety (including Vita cards) is hilariously slow compared to Xbox expansion card.

Comparing this situation to Vita cards situation is far fetched imo. Sure, price could be slightly better, and I think it will with time, but for now it's fine. People with XSX won't even need to buy this card for at least 6-12 months.

Well yeah I'm comparing specs of vita cards with SD, not specs of vita cards with this expansion obviously. The expansion card is being compared with NVMe drives which is a reasonable comparison. Making an analogy to Vita is not farfetched, it's the same question of proprietary cards that can only be used for one purpose vs a standard form factor which is shared with other platforms. Standardized SSDs become cheaper due to brand competition and economies of scale. Form factor for these things is pointless if they're not being carried around with a portable console.

Eeyore

User requested ban
Banned
Dec 13, 2019
I don't see how it's ridiculous for someone not wanting to buy a product being produced by a company known for high failure rates but what do I know? People in here already have complained about how they've had drives fail from said company. I've experienced it also.

They're known to have high failure rates. The 360 was years ago, Seagate is known for it every year, so what are you even doing? I don't see the point.

Their SSDs have high failure rates? News to me. I tried doing some searching and all I found was HDD failure rates sadly. Could have missed something. Thought there were issues from their HDDs from five or so years ago.

What am I doing? Thinking that anecdotal evidence is silly and pointing it out by using a ridiculous example. The reason I used the 360 was because it was years and years ago.

Yuntu

Prophet of Regret
Nov 7, 2019
Germany
Seems expected. It is proprietary vs non-proprietary after all.

Btw is that Samsung card faster than the PS5 card? Or roughly the same range? I don't remember and wanna know.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
It's actually pretty much 3x the speed, but yea, disappointing the XS expansions are as expensive as they are, especially given the performance.

Being proprietary also means you can't really use them for anything else, whereas the Samsung SSD you could always swap to your PC if you ever needed to.

Mecha

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Honduras
Proprietary SSD won't drop price as fast. Non-proprietary drives that are compatible with PS5 should be way cheaper in a year, I also expect some to come out with some sort of compatibility branding.

Pheonix

Banned
Dec 14, 2018
St Kitts
yes the expansion Cfexpress is hot swappable. Jason Ronald confirmed this. But I'm not sure nor do I think its the case for the PS5.
The "hot-swappable" nature of any drive is an OS feature, not a hardware feature. If sony wants the drives to be hot-swappable, then they will be.

I can't think of a single reason why MS went with their kinda SSD expansion choice... then again, I can. Even a standard NVMe 3.0 SSD would have been a better choice and offered similar to better performance.

You can literally get a Samsung 1TB 3500MB read and 2500MB write SSD for around $160 right now.

Last edited:

cyrribrae

Chicken Chaser
Jan 21, 2019
In my case it doesn't matter. Seagate quality is very bad. Just because it's a different product doesn't mean the quality of their product autonmatically goes up. That's like someone buying a Mad Catz controller for the Dreamcast and saying it's crap but someone else says to them "Was it a PS controller though" despite it being crap also.
I mean. But it does. SSD reliability is way higher than HDD reliability, and anecdotes about one type of product tend not to be super applicable to another type of product. Seagate's tested and documented SSD reliability is actually higher than most manufacturers, especially in recent years. But, people will default to stories and memories instead anyway lol. Oh well.

I just find both notions ridiculous so thought if I went for hyperbole it would get people to understand that. Seems to have failed.
I got you

Last edited:

cyrribrae

Chicken Chaser
Jan 21, 2019
Oop. Bad double post, underestimated the speed of this thread.

I feel like we don't even really know if sequential speeds will even matter for games. It's entirely possible that even a SATA drive would be more than sufficient.
For the PS5??? That would be crazy. Would somewhat undercut their own narrative about the primacy of a ridiculously fast SSD, but.. I guess that'd be good news for most of us.

The "hot-swappable" nature of any drive is an OS feature, not a hardware feature. If sony wants the drives to be hot-swappable, then they will be.
I mean.. but not entirely. If you have to, say, unscrew and rescrew a new drive, then it doesn't matter how many OS features you have - you'd be hard pressed to call that hot-swappable, no?

At this point, I think we're all making guesses in the dark until Sony confirms what their external solution is specifically and what drives will work with the console. Maybe it IS more than we expected and they figured out a way to get by with far less advanced SSDs. Or maybe not even these drives will work. Interested to find out.

Wing Scarab

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
I mean. But it does. SSD reliability is way higher than HDD reliability, and anecdotes about one type of product tend not to be super applicable to another type of product. Seagate's tested and documented SSD reliability is actually higher than most manufacturers, especially in recent years. But, people will default to stories and memories instead anyway lol. Oh well.

I have three friends who Seagate SSD failed on them within a year of buying it. One of them went through 3 replacements.

Nostradamus

Oct 28, 2017
Seems expected. It is proprietary vs non-proprietary after all.

Btw is that Samsung card faster than the PS5 card? Or roughly the same range? I don't remember and wanna know.
It is faster, and should be in order to be compatible with the PS5. External drives have to be faster than the internal SSD because they use less access lanes.

Aug 13, 2020
I guess I'll be using my 8TB external HDD to store games for the XSX until a 2tb model comes out or these things drop to $100. But its nice to see SSDs like the 980 pro following the drop in NAND prices. We'll likely see 2TB models for the PS5 and XSX reasonably priced. The Cfexpress cards is making it too expensive a solution for the XSX at the moment.
That's not actually true. Up to 970 Pro Samsung used MLC (multi level cell) storage, now they changed to the way less stable TLC (triple) storage. TLC is faster and cheaper as MLC, but therefore the performance drastically drop if the buffer runs full, which happens e.g. faster if the drive is full. Still the Samsung drive has impressive numbers, but this has just nothing to do with drop of NAND prices, they just use a cheaper solution.

Pheonix

Banned
Dec 14, 2018
St Kitts
Oop. Bad double post, underestimated the speed of this thread.

For the PS5??? That would be crazy. Would somewhat undercut their own narrative about the primacy of a ridiculously fast SSD, but.. I guess that'd be good news for most of us.

I mean.. but not entirely. If you have to, say, unscrew and rescrew a new drive, then it doesn't matter how many OS features you have - you'd be hard pressed to call that hot-swappable, no?

At this point, I think we're all making guesses in the dark until Sony confirms what their external solution is specifically and what drives will work with the console. Maybe it IS more than we expected and they figured out a way to get by with far less advanced SSDs. Or maybe not even these drives will work. Interested to find out.
It may be possible that you are confusing the meaning of the term hot-swappable.

It simply means you can replace or switch a drive without having to first turn the system off. If you have to screw anything, open an enclosure...etc, has nothing to do with it.

It's also kina easy knowing what kinda drives would work with the PS5, based on what sony has said. You need an SSD that is faster than what the PS5 SSD is, to compensate for the slower access times that that SSD would have in comparison to the internal PS5 SSD. Makes a lot of sense if you think about it.