• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 27, 2017
It's quite cool. Much more preferable over the Razr.

In the UK, on the O2 network, it's currently £40 up front, 24 month contract, £70ish per month, unlimited data. I mean that's far too rich for my blood but not out of sight for people who pay top whack for phones and like the latest and greatest.

Given the amount of crud I have to pick out of the charging point on my Pixel I have serious queries over how the fold will handle the barrage of pocket crap, dust, grit, fluff etc. Will be interesting to see the long term reviews. That video above seems curious though, the guy is scratching it with a knife, stabbing the screen with a metal pick and holding a lighter to it. That doesn't tell me much about the day to day durability, I treat my phones better than that. Drop test is more use to me that setting the thing on fire.

Mantrox

Oct 27, 2017
Much more than 500€ for a phone is still a hard pass.
These are still way to bulky for the formfactor to be compelling.

m0dus

Truant Pixel
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
It's quite cool. Much more preferable over the Razr.

In the UK, on the O2 network, it's currently £40 up front, 24 month contract, £70ish per month, unlimited data. I mean that's far too rich for my blood but not out of sight for people who pay top whack for phones and like the latest and greatest.

Given the amount of crud I have to pick out of the charging point on my Pixel I have serious queries over how the fold will handle the barrage of pocket crap, dust, grit, fluff etc. Will be interesting to see the long term reviews. That video above seems curious though, the guy is scratching it with a knife, stabbing the screen with a metal pick and holding a lighter to it. That doesn't tell me much about the day to day durability, I treat my phones better than that. Drop test is more use to me that setting the thing on fire.

Keep watching. He is able to scratch the screen with his FINGERNAIL.

it has zero effective durability. much like the fold, it is simply not ready for prime time.

Ananasas

Jul 11, 2018
Stupid question, do people intentional try to force scratches on a display? I am using samsung s9+ without any protection over a year and there are no scratches, with foldable phones, that should happen even more rarely.

Spork4000

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Stupid question, do people intentional try to force scratches on a display? I am using samsung s9+ without any protection over a year and there are no scratches, with foldable phones, that should happen even more rarely.

Think it might be regional/depend on what you do. If you end up with sand in your pockets a lot you'll have a scratched screen. A foldable phone would make the sand problem much worse,

darkwing

Oct 25, 2017

if the foldable phone is pure glass, it should be as durable as your S9+ , sadly the Z Flip can be scratched by a finger nail, Mohs scale of 2, the glass on the S9 is 6 or 7

Skytylz

Oct 25, 2017
Think it might be regional/depend on what you do. If you end up with sand in your pockets a lot you'll have a scratched screen. A foldable phone would make the sand problem much worse,
It might not when the screen is glass on the surface in the future. If it's folded in your pocket it wont' be sliding the surface of the screen around in your pocket.

Spork4000

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
It might not when the screen is glass on the surface in the future. If it's folded in your pocket it wont' be sliding the surface of the screen around in your pocket.

it won't be glass on the surface in the future, but okay. Also as long as there is a gap sand can get in and move around, causing scratches even if it's glass.

ViperVisor

Oct 29, 2017
Can actually order now on Samsung.com still. Re-drop for the 2nd time at 12am.
I got in for next week delivery. Now it says another week after for black and purple.

FuzzyWuzzy

Prophet of Truth
Apr 7, 2019
Austria
Less bulge in the pocket and protection on the screen when closed.
But aren't phones like this just thicker? I always have my phone on the inside pocket of my jacket or such and it fits perfectly.

As for the screen, is something like the screen of the flip really more desirable than a modern gorilla Glas Screen?

ViperVisor

Oct 29, 2017
I finally got it from Samsung this week.

The 1st fold of the screen I think everyone winces a little because it doesn't make sense. It's heavier than you'd expect. A lot backed inside.

What will take a bit to get a feel for is the right hand buttons. I always thought they did it correct with LH drive before. Your fingers can reach behind the phone tall and thin so no big deal.