• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

jakomocha

Oct 29, 2017
California
Take this with a grain of salt, but this is apparently coming from the same dude that accurately leaked that TWAU 2 and Telltale Batman Shadows Edition right before The Game Awards.

Article
The newly established Telltale Games is apparently working on a sequel to Tales from the Borderlands, the 2014 point-and-click adventure spinoff to Gearbox's looter shooter franchise, according to a new rumour on Reddit.

Tales from the Borderlands was made in a collaborative effort between Telltale Games and Gearbox Studios, set after the events of Borderlands 2, but the former got shut down in 2018 before it could work on any potential second season.

In the summer of last year, however, the Telltale name was acquired by LCG Entertainment and re-established with a mix of new faces and returning staff members, before it was announced that The Wolf Among Us 2, another sequel to a much beloved Telltale title, was back on the cards at the new studio.

Incidentally, the existence of that game, and Batman: Shadows Edition, was preemptively leaked on Reddit by a user name hereitismydude, who is the same individual stating that Tales from the Borderlands 2 is now in the works at Telltale, with Gearbox's blessing.

The new Reddit post also states that a new entry in Telltale's Poker Night series is also in active development, with plans for crossover appearances from Fortnite, Borderlands, Batman, and more, and will be announced at this year's E3 expo.

Reddit Post
On Poker Night 3:
Playing PN3 you will receive crossover items for Borderlands 3 and Fortnite. Characters are Bigby Wolf, Rhys&Fiona, Bruce Wayne, and Lee Everett. Was decided that all characters will be "Telltale" characters. Although Skybound is allowing rights for Lee to appear in PN3, they arnt giving Walking Dead back to Telltale. Game will use Unreal engine. Player can contribute to conversation this time, but wont have an actual voice.
On TFTB 2:
Tales from the Borderlands 2 is going to happen in the future (already planned to be Telltale's next big game, but it will still be a few years until its revealed)

I know it's premature to get hyped about this, but I can't help it. For me this is pretty much my most desired gaming announcement. Tales from the Borderlands is actually one of my favorite games. I know a lot of people slept on it because they don't normally associate the Borderlands franchise with gripping writing, but Tales from the Borderlands is one of the funniest, most well written games I've ever played. The characters of the game are so memorable and well realized, and the plot encompasses so many genres (western, sci fi, comedy, drama, hell even romance and mystery) without compromising on any of them. It's honestly a remarkable game, and I seriously recommend it whether or not you're a fan of the Borderlands series in general.

Poker Night 3 with those characters also sounds awesome (that's pretty much my dream cast).

Plz be true

stumblebee

The Fallen
Jan 22, 2018
Poker Night is actually really fun. Nothing better than getting shit on by Strong Bad with a straight flush.

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
Considering how much Gearbox used Tales in Borderlands 3, wouldn't surprise me if they wanted to keep that going as a way to expand the universe and characters as they get ready for 4.

Cess007

Oct 27, 2017
B.C., Mexico
Tales from the Borderlands 2? Oh come on, don't do that....

tenor.gif

BrickArts295

GOTY Tracking Thread Master
Oct 26, 2017
That line seems great except for Wayne. He just seems out of place. Could have gone for another cameo similar to Glados or Ash.

kurahador

Oct 28, 2017
I really want Tales from the Borderlands and Game Of Thrones just so that it would finish those cliffhangers.

BoxManLocke

Oct 25, 2017
France
It feels really weird to think the studio could be working on four titles at once, all sequels, when the reason it sank in the first place was bad management, taking on too many projects and the sales just not being satisfactory.
Like, I would absolutely love to play Wolf and Tales 2, but why would those franchises suddenly become successful ?

Jan 21, 2019
Man. I had hoped that they would just stick to 1 or 2 games instead of making 15 at the same time like before their first demise.

MulderYuffie

Oct 25, 2017
Nice nice I love Telltale and I didnt care too much for Borderlands but I loved Tales. Sucks about TWD though. Maybe Skybound can start over with a fresh new cast it's what I've wanted since season 2 ended really.

Alastor3

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Considering how much Gearbox used Tales in Borderlands 3, wouldn't surprise me if they wanted to keep that going as a way to expand the universe and characters as they get ready for 4.
But they completely destroy some of the best characters, hopefully, it's a direct sequel to Tales 1 WITH SAME VOICE ACTORS

Mohsenix

Mar 31, 2018
Whoever owns the rights can they just put back Tales from the Borderlands on PSN please. Can't buy episodes 2-5 and there's no season pass.

grand

Oct 25, 2017
And you know that how?? Last i heard, half of the original team is back, so it's not too bad i think
Well for starters, Pierre Shorette, the former director of writing at Telltale and writer of the entirety of Tales of the Borderlands as well as multiple episodes of the Walking Dead & The Wolf Among Us... is one of the cofounders of Adhoc Games, who are making their own "Telltale-esque" game.

I'm not trying to knock this studio, but it's a bit presumptuous to assume that these sequels will have the same quality of writing.

OP
OP
jakomocha

jakomocha

Oct 29, 2017
California
Well for starters, Pierre Shorette, the former director of writing at Telltale and writer of the entirety of Tales of the Borderlands as well as multiple episodes of the Walking Dead & The Wolf Among Us... is one of the cofounders of Adhoc Games, who are making their own "Telltale-esque" game.

I'm not trying to knock this studio, but it's a bit presumptuous to assume that these sequels will have the same quality of writing.
AdHoc is working on TftB2, look at the Reddit post.

Berordn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
NoVA
Poker Night without Sam and/or Max or any crossover characters seems... wrong.

Yuntu

Prophet of Regret
Nov 7, 2019
Germany
Cool, I guess. I take every spinoff over another pre-sequel kinda thing (because the mainline games are enough in content and get long support anyways).

Hope Telltale doesnt take on too much stuff again.

russbus64

May 1, 2018
Speaking of which, was Batman Shadows Edition on Switch ever a thing? I just checked the site again and it looks like it's available for PS4, XB1, Steam, and EGS. No mention of Switch.

ConVito

Oct 16, 2018
Tales 2 has been one of my most wanted announcements for a while now, but NOT if they're gonna use the same writers/writing style as BL3, which was a HUGE disappointment in pretty much every way except gameplay for me. TFTB was wonderful because of its writing and direction (and performances, obviously), so bring back the old writing team and voice actors or don't bother.

Print_Dog

Oct 27, 2017
I'll buy Tales from the Borderlands right now. No screens no trailer. That's how much I loved the first one.

Falchion

Oct 25, 2017
Boise
Tales from the Borderlands 2 would be a dream come true. The first one is so good and had better characters than the actual series.

Sabretooth

Oct 27, 2017
India
Tales from the Borderlands 2 is a boon in itself, but that Poker Night 3 line-up looks absolutely golden. I can't wait.

Delusibeta

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Source leaker has nuked their account, so take with salt. The Poker Night 3 giving Fortnite weapons imply an EGS perma-exclusive, and I would expect Tales of the Borderlands will also be moneyhatted by Epic, given Wolf Among Us 2 got an EGS hat, as did Walking Dead Final Season.