• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Nothing Loud

Literally Cinderella
Oct 25, 2017
not to sound offensive but i dont get it

Have you tried googling what non-binary is? It's not everybody else's job to help you although people would be glad to clear up any questions you have after doing your due diligence first.

Jonathan Van Ness is also non-binary too so it's awesome to see these positive queer non-binary role models out there for people who feel their gender is somewhere in between a man and a woman, or both, or neither.

JeTmAn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
not to sound offensive but i dont get it

Sam Smith doesn't want to be identified as a particular gender. Hence, Sam ("they") wants to be treated as someone without specific (or at least male/female) gender, pronouns being a primary indicator of gender in conversation.

As to why? That's pretty complex. I don't get it, either. But it's what some people choose to do.

Pekola

Oct 27, 2017
Don't read the replies 💔

Anyways, I wish them the best on their journey. May we all do away with what constrains us.

ratcliffja

Oct 28, 2017
It's times like these that I wish the English language had a gender neutral singular pronoun. It's the same issue as dealing with a generic person such as "every person for himself/herself/themselves." Even disregarding the existence of non-binary people, it's crazy that we never came up with a pronoun for people if we don't know their gender ahead of time.

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
It's times like these that I wish the English language had a gender neutral singular pronoun. It's the same issue as dealing with a generic person such as "every person for himself/herself/themselves." Even disregarding the existence of non-binary people, it's crazy that we never came up with a pronoun for people if we don't know their gender ahead of time.

It'd be helpful, but in the scheme of things one doesn't have to be technically grammatically correct to just use someone's preferred pronoun so it shouldn't really matter.

AlteredBeast

Don't Watch the Tape!
Oct 27, 2017
We need to come up with a different pronoun for non-binary.

They/them does not translate well to a singular person. Instead of repurposing a word, which will never sound normal to me in conversation, but does work well in writing.

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017
I've personally never heard of Sam Smith before today, but always glad that more people are able to feel comfortable being who they feel they are. It's not an easy thing to come to grips with, and they managed it over a decade younger than me.

They/them does not translate well to a singular person. Instead of repurposing a word, which will never sound normal to me in conversation, but does work well in writing.

Oct 30, 2017

Technically, "it" is a gender neutral pronoun. Unfortunately, there's a negative connotation with "it" and it sounds dehumanising. I do wonder why we can't just invest a new word? It's not like the English language has stopped it's development.

Regarding, Sam, I'm glad we live in a day and age where they feel comfortable sharing their preferred pronouns. Sam's revelation will also bring some mainstream attention to gender identity and will hopefully help some other folks publicly embrace their preferred gender identity.

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What is the proper title for someone that is non-binary? Mister for men, miss for women....

Deleted member 11976

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I've caught bits of YT vids my GF watches (she's a huge SS fan) from time to time and recently Sam talked a lot about opening up and being honest with themself. The first thing was getting themself confident enough to dance on camera for a music video, after years of feeling uncomfortable with their body. This announcement today seems another positive move for them living their truth, so I'm happy for them.

TheAbsolution

Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta, GA

We've already tried and some still do identify with neo-pronouns but it seems like most people have settled on they/them for non binary pronouns and as such we should respect that.

Deleted member 42055

User requested account closure
Banned
Apr 12, 2018
So it's proper to use them/they to address the person then? I've never encountered a non-binart individual irl so I'm glad I got a TIL on that

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017
The polite thing to do, would be to explain it to them so people understand. It helps people get a grasp of what it all actually means and helps encourage support for this.
The polite thing to do is to take some time to research a subject if you don't understand. Not assume you're owed an explaination.

Snack12367

Oct 28, 2017
I feel like we need a different term for non-binary. They then is a plural, while she or he is singular. I respect them wishes and will call them they or them all the same.

ratcliffja

Oct 28, 2017
It'd be helpful, but in the scheme of things one doesn't have to be technically grammatically correct to just use someone's preferred pronoun so it shouldn't really matter.
I agree with that and would of course use they/them as requested. Still, it just feels like a grammatical failure to not account for such a thing.
Technically, "it" is a gender neutral pronoun. Unfortunately, there's a negative connotation with "it" and it sounds dehumanising. I do wonder why we can't just invest a new word? It's not like the English language has stopped it's development.
Yeah that's why I wouldn't suggest "it". "It" should be used for non-human (and ideally non-sentient) life.

collige

Oct 31, 2017

Regarding, Sam, I'm glad we live in a day and age where they feel comfortable sharing their preferred pronouns. Sam's revelation will also bring some mainstream attention to gender identity and will hopefully help some other folks publicly embrace their preferred gender identity.
People tried. Xe and ze, to be specific, but they/them caught on instead.

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America

I am on the same boat. It can get very confusing with singulars and plurals. Of course, I have no issue with respecting that decision but given the myriad words that get added to the english oxford dictionary year after year, it feels like that they could at least add specific pronouns for gender neutral folks.

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017
Going to post this again, this time with quotes. Feel free to point anyone who still insists on another word instead of they...

Former Chief Editor of the OED Robert Burchfield, in The New Fowler's Dictionary of Modern English Usage (1996), dismisses objections to singular they as unsupported by the historical record. Burchfield observes that the construction is 'passing unnoticed' by speakers of standard English as well as by copy editors, and he concludes that this trend is 'irreversible'. People who want to be inclusive, or respectful of other people's preferences, use singular they. And people who don't want to be inclusive, or who don't respect other people's pronoun choices, use singular they as well. Even people who object to singular they as a grammatical error use it themselves when they're not looking, a sure sign that anyone who objects to singular they is, if not a fool or an idiot, at least hopelessly out of date.

There is 600 years of history of They being used as both singular and plural, with it being only plural being a much more modern construct. People tried to create new gender-neutral pronouns and everyone at large took offense. So, if no one wants to use a new set of pronouns, but doesn't want the non-binary crew to use "they/them"... what's left? Oh yeah, being pidgeon holed back into their "proper" pronouns... *sigh*

Ketkat

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So it's proper to use them/they to address the person then? I've never encountered a non-binart individual irl so I'm glad I got a TIL on that

That's not really a hard and fast rule as nonbinary people have different preferences, but the OP is directly stating that Sam Smith's pronouns are they/them, so yes, that is proper to use here.

TrueSloth

Oct 27, 2017

I'm certain youve used "they" in the singular form countless times in your life. It works in the singular, you just arent used to using it consciously.