• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Cuburger

Oct 28, 2017
Sorry, Derrickson, but Raimi is an upgrade.

He has horror chops, plus we've seen how he was able to balance tones and even sprinkle in horror elements in the Spider-Man films.

People freaking out that Marvel will hand cuff him still don't understand how they even work. There is no reason they would even work with Raimi if they wanted some yes-man hack puppet director that woukd toe the line to corporate whims. Likewise, if Marvel wanted all the control and was looking to suffocate any creative ambition, Raimi wouldn't have gotten far enough in negotiations where it was being reported by the trades.

Plus, Doctor Strange is a personal favorite character of Kevin Feige. This move only fills me with confidence in all parties coming together out of a common creative vision, not concern.

Deleted member 60295

User requested account closure
Banned
Sep 28, 2019

This movie is gonna be batshit insane in the best way possible.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I am now interested in a Doctor Strange movie. Life sure is funny.

Dark Ninja

Oct 27, 2017
Can Bruce Campbell become the MCU cameo guy now. Just appear in different movies as different roles which will cause people to link to the Sony Spider-Man movies along with Jameson.

¡ B 0 0 P !

Banned
Apr 4, 2019
Greater Toronto Area

The director of Doctor Strange wanted to make Doctor Strange 2 a PG-13 horror film (think Gremlins, or Poltergeist) but Disney disagreed and he left. The MCU is not known for having excellent creative freedom. There's a reason why all the films look alike and follow the same tone.

Now Sam Raimi has more clout than your average director but Disney is Disney. We'll have to wait and see how it turns out.

overcast

Oct 25, 2017
I love Raimi, but I'll see if he is able to let loose. I'll believe it when I see it, the first Strange movie was among the most dull of the MCU.
I am now interested in a Doctor Strange movie. Life sure is funny.
Eh, I'll wait to see. On top of the MCU sanitation Raimi hasn't make a good movie in over a decade. The OZ flick was dreadful.

UnderSiege

Mar 5, 2019
The director of Doctor Strange wanted to make Doctor Strange 2 a PG-13 horror film (think Gremlins, or Poltergeist) but Disney disagreed and he left. The MCU is not known for having excellent creative freedom. There's a reason why all the films look alike and follow the same tone.
There is zero reason to assume that happened and that's why he left. Also, a Waititi, a Russos, a Coogler and a Gunn MCU movie differ quite well from one another. So, nah.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I love Raimi, but I'll see if he is able to let loose. I'll believe it when I see it, the first Strange movie was among the most dull of the MCU.

Eh, I'll wait to see. On top of the MCU sanitation Raimi hasn't make a good movie in over a decade. The OZ flick was dreadful.
I only said I'm interested.
f98339a8d3710ed839bedd04cfbd0d70.gif

jon bones

Oct 25, 2017
NYC

Now Sam Raimi has more clout than your average director but Disney is Disney. We'll have to wait and see how it turns out.

oh yes who can even tell black panther, winter soldier or gotg vol 2 apart

Kernel

Oct 25, 2017

It's Scott Derrickson, doubtful he had a good idea.

Plenty of other directors like Taika did their thing for MCU no problem.

PRrambo_

PlayStation.jif
Oct 25, 2017

Yeah Ant-Man and Black Panther were like, shot for shot recreations of each other.

Ithil

Oct 25, 2017

Here's a big problem with this post, which is that it's complete bullshit you imagined because it fits your personal narrative, but you're throwing it out like it's a news report.
Funny how Gunn and Taika and Coogler all got to make Gunn and Taika and Coogler films, but poor legendary auteur Scott Derrickson was so put upon by those mean old creativity goblins.

xxracerxx

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Source to this being the reason?

Cuburger

Oct 28, 2017
I just gotta SMH at all the "Raimi's vision COMPROMISED!" doomsaying when, if there's any motherfucker in the industry who has first hand experience with corporate meddling completely derailing a superhero movie, it's Sam fucking Raimi.

If he's signing on, then he's getting assurances. There's no other way he puts himself through Spiderman 3 again (unless he really, really needs the money, but I don't think that's the case).
100% this.

There is no way a director of Raimi's status is walking into any negotiation after the success of Spider-Man and the meddling of SM3 by Sony and even entertaining the idea if there was a chance of the same thing happening again.

It's not even just for Raimi, it's in Marvel's best interest to be on the same page, since they have a little over a year to meet their release date after parting ways with Derrickson.

Toriko

Dec 29, 2017
The common link among all MCU movies is that they are all mediocre design by committee movies and infinitely worse than the best work of all those directors. At least in the case of Coogler and Waititi.

Give Raimi a free hand and at least there is a chance of an MCU movie finally having some personality instead of feeling like a factory produced commodity like all of them are.

xxracerxx

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Give Raimi a free hand and at least there is a chance of an MCU movie finally having some personality instead of feeling like a factory produced commodity like all of them are.
I will never understand your urge to come into every MCU thread and just shit on them, I would think after a decade you would know what they are to you and move on.

R0b1n

Jun 29, 2018
Multiverse traveling when it's "normal" superhero universes in other media are boring as hell, especially in live action

Toriko

Dec 29, 2017
I will never understand your urge to come into every MCU thread and just shit on them, I would think after a decade you would know what they are to you and move on.

Yeah but Raimi being involved actually has me excited for an MCU movie. Hence I am in this thread. I think this could be something special.