• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

purseowner

From the mirror universe
Oct 25, 2017
UK
header.jpg

Release Date: December 2nd
Platforms: Switch, Steam, GOG
Price: $19.99 (50% off if you own the original Season One on Steam, GOG, or Telltale until December 31st)
Developer/Publisher: Skunkape Games
Genre: Point and Click Adventure

Everyone's favorite dog and rabbity-thing are back in Sam & Max Save the World Remastered, a new version of their first season of episodic games that has been lovingly updated by a small group of the original developers with the blessing of Sam & Max creator Steve Purcell.

With enhanced graphics, new widescreen and gamepad support, five new musical tracks, and the same brain-tickling puzzles and offbeat humor that won it Adventure Game of the Year awards from IGN, GameSpy, and PC Gamer, Sam & Max Save the World is a modern classic that you'll love to play—or play again.

It's just another day at the office for the self-proclaimed Freelance Police when the Commissioner calls in with a disturbing report: former child stars are running amok in the street! What starts as an open-and-shut case of idiotic vandalism balloons into an all-out conspiracy as Sam and Max encounter one miscreant after another who have been mysteriously hypnotized. (You can tell from the "spinny thing" they do with their eyes.)

Who's the source of this malfeasance, and what is their dastardly plan? Cracking this case will require Sam's nose for detective work, Max's lack of conscience, an assortment of inventory items, and a little help from neighbors Sybil Pandemik, Bosco, and Jimmy Two-Teeth. From Sam & Max's street to the White House lawn, inside the internet, and all the way to the moon, this baffling mystery gets weirder and funnier as it unfolds.

comparison1_new.jpg

comparison2_new.jpg

comparison3_new.jpg

ss_864f54ab5367c0478c5fa88e1613022ebe6a90f0.jpg

ss_b8cae22540afc56b8298b4dfda0c3e3b89ce7669.jpg

FAQ (from the Skunkape Games website)

We know you've got questions. Well whaddaya know, we've got answers! Read on for everything you ever wanted to know about Sam & Max Save the World but were afraid to ask.

Who are Sam & Max?
Individually they are a six-foot dog in a suit (Sam) and a hyperkinetic rabbity-thing (Max) with sharp wit, big guns (don't ask where Max keeps his), and their own unique way of fighting crime. Collectively they are the Freelance Police, stars of award-winning comics by Steve Purcell, a 1990s LucasArts adventure game, a short-lived Canadian TV show, and three seasons of episodic games released by Telltale Games between 2006 and 2010.

How can a remaster of Sam & Max Save the World exist? I thought Telltale Games went out of business!
After Telltale closed its doors in 2018, four members of the Sam & Max development team acquired the rights to the studio's Sam & Max games. With help from several other former Telltale employees, they've remastered the first season of Sam & Max episodic games, so old fans and new players can enjoy this classic series once again—starting on December 2 on Nintendo Switch and PC.

So is this game affiliated with Telltale?
No. Many of Telltale's other games and the Telltale name itself were acquired by LCG Entertainment. That company isn't involved with Sam & Max Save the World Remastered. (But they have helped us out with a few logistical issues, and we appreciate it!)

Why remaster Sam & Max Save the World?
When this game came out episodically in 2006 and 2007, it was one of the first games Telltale ever made. Telltale went on to create The Walking Dead, The Wolf Among Us, Batman, and more—and they learned a lot in the process! In the twelve years between Telltale's first Sam & Max episode and the studio's closure, the game engine became more sophisticated, the choreography and cinematography evolved, and the team learned a ton about how to tell stories interactively.

Initially we only planned to patch Sam & Max Season One on PC, so it would work better on today's computers. But as we got into it, we realized there was a lot more we wanted to do—some things we can do now thanks to better tech, and others we didn't do back then because we didn't know how. Plus, there were some things we wanted to fix that we just couldn't. (Well, not without rolling back to a thirteen-year-old version of Telltale's development tools that no longer exists!) The project grew to the point that it was much more than a patch, and Sam & Max Save the World Remastered was born.

Why do you keep calling it Sam & Max Save the World? What about Sam & Max Season One?
They're the same thing. This six-part game originally released in monthly downloadable episodes as Sam & Max Season One. When Telltale packaged the episodes together for retail and console releases, they renamed the season Sam & Max Save the World, and we've kept that name for the remastered version.

What have you changed in the remaster?
Where do we start?! The most obvious changes are technical: Sam & Max Save the World now supports a 16:9 aspect ratio and the highest resolution your hardware allows. (The original was 4:3 with a maximum resolution of 1024x768!) The remaster has dynamic lighting and improved lip sync. You can play with the original point & click mouse controls, or a keyboard, or a gamepad—whatever floats your boat. All of the game's original audio, which was compressed like crazy to keep download sizes small, has been remastered and re-encoded from the original source files, with modern high-quality audio codecs. This remaster looks, sounds, and plays like a game made in 2020, not one made in 2006.

But some of our favorite changes are brand new additions that bring the game closer than ever to the aesthetic and tone of Steve Purcell's comics. All of the character models have been tweaked, including Sam and Max with Steve's input. A new user interface and opening credits sequence make the game feel like one cohesive whole rather than six separate episodes. Some key scenes have been punched up with new acting and camerawork, and we created a couple of new exterior locations for establishing shots. Composer Jared Emerson-Johnson even wrote five new jazz tracks performed by some of the original musicians.

Oh, and we almost forgot the biggest update: we made a Nintendo Switch version!

Wow, that's a lot. What didn't you change?
The gameplay, the story, the puzzles, the jokes—they're all as you remember them. (Maybe even better than you remember!) While our team members worked on Sam & Max at Telltale, so did a lot of other people, and we were careful not to tread on their work or change too much stuff just because we felt like it. We've tried to strike a balance between making the game better and preserving what made us so proud of it in the first place.

I want it! How can I get it?
Sam & Max Save the World is up for preorder on the Nintendo eShop, Steam, and GOG. It will be released for Nintendo Switch and PC on December 2.

I own the original Sam & Max Season One. Can I get a discount?
You bet! If you bought the original downloadable version on Steam, GOG, or the Telltale Store, you can get 50% off the remaster through December 31. Go to Steam or GOG if you own the game there—you'll need to be logged in to your account to see the discount. If you bought the game directly from Telltale, go to our upgrade page to claim a Steam or GOG key for the original game. This will make you eligible for the 50% discount on the new version.

What languages does Sam & Max Save the World Remastered include?
The game has English voice and subtitles in English, German, French, Spanish, Italian, Polish, Hungarian, Czech, and Russian.

Can I stream this game? Can I make money off those streams?
Yes, you can, and thanks for asking. (But please note, we reserve the right to revoke that permission on a case by case basis.) You can also keep the music on during your stream—we won't hit you with a DMCA notice!

I want to buy the old version of the game, but I can't find it anywhere! Is it gone for good?
For now, we've removed the old version from stores. But don't fret! We don't have specifics to discuss just yet, but we'll make sure people can still access and play the old episodes (including people who didn't buy them before the remaster). We don't intend to shove them in a vault. Only a maniac would make a special edition and destroy the originals!

Who's on the Sam & Max Save the World Remastered team?
The core team is Dan Connors (Telltale Games co-founder and former CEO), Randy Tudor (former lead programmer), Jon Sgro (former director of production technologies), and Jake Rodkin (former creative director). Telltale alumni Eric Parsons, Brett Rogstad, Tim Ingram, Emily Morganti, Shaun Finney, and Doug Tabacco are also involved, along with composer Jared Emerson-Johnson and sound designer Julian Kwasneski of Bay Area Sound. The only non-Telltaler on the team is Emma Cooper, our art intern.

If you want to read more about the remaster, there's a great article from Patrick Klepek over at Vice

Owners of the Telltale Store version can get the discount here

episode-art.png

Last edited:

maximumzero

Oct 25, 2017
New Orleans, LA
I could have sworn I bought the original release from Telltale back in the day but I tried all of my e-mail address and none of them brought up anything. Oh well.

Amspicora

Oct 29, 2017
Nothing about who owns the retail version? Considering the price I could buy it anyway later this month...

OP
OP
purseowner

purseowner

From the mirror universe
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Something neat that didn't get mentioned in the FAQ, but is a cool detail in the Vice article - they've recast Bosco - he's now more appropriately voiced by a POC.

Primus

Oct 25, 2017
Telltale e-mail address entry worked immediately, got my discount and bought the remaster. Looking forward to going through the game again!

Gradon

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
UK
yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeees

tenor.gif

Kingpin Rogers

HILF
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Didn't realize it was out so soon. Is the 50% discount for previous owners only if they buy it before release or will it always be 50% off?

Brat-Sampson

Nov 16, 2017
I'm in for this, haven't played since the original release, but I was happy to Support Sam and Max back then, and I'm happy to support it now, plus it really looks like they did a fantastic job with these.

I somehow had only the original in my library. I thought that the realunch price was 8.19. weird. I don't recall buying season 1 but season 2 & 3 are still 5.49 each for me. I'll hopefully wait for them to get a little cheaper then buy them to get discounted remaster season 2 and 3.

can't wait to play this tomorrow! I haven't touched the series since it first released.

9-Volt

Oct 27, 2017
I'm gonna separate your Bliss!!!

Preordered on the eShop. The games were significantly easier than the original title but at the same time, a lot funnier too. It'll be a joy replaying them.

erlim

Oct 26, 2017
London
Man it's actually pretty sweet we get this and the Sam and Max VR game. Even a naïve child 1994 me wouldn't have believed they'd be around in 2020.

plagiarize

It's not a loop. It's a spiral.
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
Oh, neat I was able to get my Steam copy and pre-order at the discounted price. Looking forwards to playing this!

joeblow

Oct 27, 2017
Laker Nation
Cool, I submitted my email addy from when I purchased season one directly from TellTale back in the day and got the 50% Steam code discount for the remaster. Thanks, OP!

Gradon

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
UK
erm it's nearly 2pm on the 2nd, why can't I play it yet?

edit: it started working at 2pm lol.

Last edited:

SiG

Oct 25, 2017
Seems to be running well on Switch.

Is the code still based on the Telltale engine? I heard it didn't particularly run well on consoles. Whereas this doesn't seem to be plagued by any performance issues.

OP
OP
purseowner

purseowner

From the mirror universe
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Haven't had a chance to sit down with it myself yet, but I'm super impressed with that Switch footage.
Loved this one the best. Still haven't played the third season.
Devil's Playhouse is the finest work Telltale ever produced in my eyes, and in my top ten favourite games of all time. A very different beast to the other two and a fascinating convergence of the style of game that Telltale started out making and the style they ended up being known for.

EmmaDansTonU

Nov 27, 2020
I asked some questions to the devs :
- they do plan to remaster seasons 2 and 3
- french ( and deutch too) dubs that was present in the initial release is droped because the sound quality was not good enough.

EmmaDansTonU

Nov 27, 2020
Seems to be running well on Switch.

Is the code still based on the Telltale engine? I heard it didn't particularly run well on consoles. Whereas this doesn't seem to be plagued by any performance issues.

I finished the game on switch and can confirm that it run very well. I made almost all the game in handheld mode.

THube

Oct 27, 2017
Started this up and I'm really enjoying myself. I haven't played this since it first came out on GameTap so I'm feeling like I'm coming into this with relatively fresh eyes at this point.

I really love the new opening theme.

StraySheep

Oct 26, 2017
Devil's Playhouse is the finest work Telltale ever produced in my eyes, and in my top ten favourite games of all time. A very different beast to the other two and a fascinating convergence of the style of game that Telltale started out making and the style they ended up being known for.

I agree with this. DP would be an instant buy for me. Season 1 I think I need to hold off on because I have way too many freaking games to play 😆

Nali

Oct 25, 2017
Almost forgot this was happening so soon! Grabbed the discount by virtue of having the game on the old Telltale account—and a fourteen year loyalty discount is still unbelievable—then felt like I wasn't supporting the team enough and grabbed the soundtrack while I was at it. Can't wait to sink my teeth into this properly and see how everything looks now.

Kingpin Rogers

HILF
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
What are everyone's feelings on Bosco's new voice actor? I haven't played it yet but according to some of the Steam reviews they feel he doesn't match the tone of the original too well, is that the general sentiment? I think they also changed the intro music as well? How is that compared to the original?

dojo32161

Sep 4, 2019
What are everyone's feelings on Bosco's new voice actor? I haven't played it yet but according to some of the Steam reviews they feel he doesn't match the tone of the original too well, is that the general sentiment? I think they also changed the intro music as well? How is that compared to the original?
I think Bosco's new VA is pretty good, though he does stick out compared to other characters. I can't tell if that's due to whatever they recorded their voice with or just because they're going over someone else's lnes.

THube

Oct 27, 2017

He's pretty good-- a little bit of tonal whiplash as he doesn't really sound like he's putting on much of a goofy character, but in general I'd rather have the new guy than the old guy. Honestly I think Sam's VA sounding like he's kind of talking in a whisper is more jarring, and that was unchanged from the original.

The new intro music rules and is head-and-shoulders preferable to the old one, I think.

V_Ben

Larian Studios
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
St Albans, UK
Just finished the first episode here - it's a really well done remaster, that's for sure. The new lighting is just gorgeous! Nice to have this brought up to modern standards <3

Amspicora

Oct 29, 2017
I decided to buy the game at full price, after all, it was only 16 euros in Europe. And man, the graphic upgrade is damn good. I remember playing the original 10 years ago and thinking to myself "this game is so flat". Can't wait for Season 2 and the Devil's playhouse which could hopefully lead to a new season.

Undrey

Oct 29, 2017
Where does this game fall in the Sam & Max games? I think I bought Sam & Max Beyond Time and Space and Sam & Max: The Devil's Playhouse years ago on the PS3 and never got around to them. Does this take place before them?

Also have there been talks on remastering the other two games?

Deleted member 55822

User requested account closure
Banned
Apr 10, 2019
Where does this game fall in the Sam & Max games? I think I bought Sam & Max Beyond Time and Space and Sam & Max: The Devil's Playhouse years ago on the PS3 and never got around to them. Does this take place before them?

Also have there been talks on remastering the other two games?
Yes, this is season "one" of the Telltale Sam & Max games. And it take places before those two. Also a few comment ahead of you say they're discussing about remaster the other two games.

Undrey

Oct 29, 2017
Yes, this is season "one" of the Telltale Sam & Max games. And it take places before those two. Also a few comment ahead of you say they're discussing about remaster the other two games.
Whoop, thanks! I'll wait and see if this comes to PS and play it and then the sequels on the PS3, I'm in quite the Telltale mood.

Oct 27, 2017
Glad to hear this game is back. Was kinda surprised that the X360 version wasn't BC. Couldn't tell you the last time that was on sale.

thelongestj

Oct 27, 2017
I know Telltale went downhill in the end, but their rewarding of customer loyalty goes above and beyond.

I bought the first three seasons from the telltale store.
The original versions had DRM where you would have to sign in every time you wanted to play an episode.
Then I got the physical DVDs of the games from the store for just the cost of shipping.
Then when TellTale was going out of business they let you download newer versions of the episodes that had the DRM removed.
Now just putting in my old email got me a GOG copy.
That let me buy the remaster at 50% off a price that is already less than the cost of the original in 2007 dollars.

I just played a little bit last night with controller and it looks and plays great. I'm so excited to replay the entire series. I'm especially looking forward to season 2 with reality 2.0, that episode I remember as being the funniest.