• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Dancrane212

Oct 25, 2017

Official Thread

Launching tomorrow on PlayStation 4/5 and PC via the Epic Games Store.

Opencritic
Metacritic
PC | PS4 | PS5

GodIsAGeek - 9.0/10
Salt and Sacrifice may not be the best Metroidvania ever made, but as a 2D distillation of the Soulslike formula, this is pure gaming alchemy.

Twinfinite - 4/5
Elden Ring pushed it forward by plopping players into a massive open-world, and Salt and Sacrifice attempts to keep things fresh as well by introducing distinct elements like the Mage Hunts and a never-ending skill tree, but on a personal level, that's just not enough to keep me engaged and invested. Far be it from me to dissuade anyone who's looking for a new Souls-like game to sink into; Salt and Sacrifice is a worthy title in this blossoming genre, and it serves as a great follow-up to its predecessor.

WellPlayed - 6.5/10
Salt and Sacrifice makes a number of changes to its general design and structure that are absolutely not worth the cost, and while the game is still enjoyable, it ultimately feels like a step backwards from the charming 2016 original.

TheGamer - 4.5/5
With all of that said, it cannot be understated how compelling this game feels. It takes all the best things from its inspirations and blends them together in a way that works. It's a game with the combat of a Soulslike, the gameplay loop of a Monster Hunter, and the exploration of a Metroidvania, all set against a beautiful backdrop - conflicting flavours that come together to form a delicious experience. It's greater than the sum of its parts, and it's a game I won't be putting down for a very long time.

BuyWhyTho - 7.0/10
Salt and Sacrifice is still a very worthwhile sequel to the original. While some of the elements don't work as well as others, the game's combat and build variety offer players a great sandbox to play around in.

GameSkinny - 8/10
Salt and Sacrifice is a labor of love for its genre, one that will scratch any veteran's itch for more mysterious worlds to explore. It never reaches the heights of the best Souls-likes but never sinks to the lows of those that attempt and fail to work within the framework.

RockPaperShotgun - Unscored
Still, for all its quirks, Ska Studios have themselves a solid entry here. I don't think there were many problems I encountered that couldn't be patched out, and I had a lot of fun with the game in spite of some annoyances. If Salt And Sanctuary was Ska Studios sheepishly imitating a more successful formula, then Salt And Sacrifice is them confidently finding their stride. For a game about tearing out hearts, it's clearly had a lot of heart put into it and Monster Hunter fans in particular shouldn't pass this one up. Just don't expect perfection.

Last edited:

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
Reviews seem to be all over the place, seems like the original it'll be a fun but flawed experience that some people will bounce off hard and others will really get sucked into.

Yuntu

Prophet of Regret
Nov 7, 2019
Germany
Hope its like the OG with some added stuff. Maybe better navigation (as in a better map ... did zhe first one even have one?).

Nkcell

Jun 24, 2020
Disappointed to read it's no longer an interconnected world. That was one of the coolest aspects of the original. Also appears the reviewers didn't get to experience the faction based multiplayer system, since no one wrote about it, and they are touting that as a major feature of the game.

Oct 25, 2017
Other reviews liked the map design? Feel like there's very different impressions.

twinfinite.net

Salt and Sacrifice Review - Back to Formula

Salt and Sacrifice on PC Thinking back on it now, a large part of why I enjoyed Ska Studios' Salt and Sanctuary so much was likely because my Soulsborne

Just like its predecessor, Salt and Sacrifice surprised me with just how huge its world is. Out of all the Souls-like games we've seen from various developers over the years, Ska Studios still comes the closest to capturing the essence of FromSoft's series by introducing interconnected world design, and winding paths that smartly lead back to shortcuts or familiar areas you've visited before. Even as someone who's admittedly grown rather tired of the Soulsborne formula, I still found it immensely satisfying whenever I discovered a clever shortcut, or when I finally explored an area thoroughly enough to be able to map it out mentally and instantly know where I needed to go next.

mael

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
I get why from a dev perspective they'd prefer to go through with a standard level structure rather than interconnected world but still kind of a bummer.

Now the waiting game begins for when it gets to other platforms, we did wait a while for Salt&Sanctuary

Oct 27, 2017
Nah. There's no forward or backwards, when it comes to interconnected vs. more linear design. They each come with their own advantages and disadvantages for the developers to utilize.
Thank you
I hate how these days people see "linear" = "oudated and bad". No, its just a different kind of level design and thats okay

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
I get why from a dev perspective they'd prefer to go through with a standard level structure rather than interconnected world but still kind of a bummer.

Now the waiting game begins for when it gets to other platforms, we did wait a while for Salt&Sanctuary

It seems like the game is still interconnected but in a different way. Like you have multiple smaller interconnected worlds rather than one large interconnected world.

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Nah. There's no forward or backwards, when it comes to interconnected vs. more linear design. They each come with their own advantages and disadvantages for the developers to utilize.
In general, I agree, but not for a metroidvania game. A game that purports to be metroidvania and that does not have an interconnected world gets an eyebrow raise from me.

Ogawa-san

Nov 1, 2017
Still no map, right?

That made me bounce off the first one in about 30min.

Edit: yep, no map. Welp.

Oct 25, 2017

Salt and sorcery

As you move through the five main areas you'll acquire new traversal abilities such as the grappling hook. Although five sounds paltry, be aware that each area is huge, comprised of several expansive dungeons, secret areas, hidden pathways, and circuitous shortcuts. If anything, Salt and Sacrifice really needs a map. Games like Dark Souls can get away without having a map because your brain remembers landmarks and enemy placements, and From are masters at intuitive level design.

From the God is a Geek review.

Sounds like overall what people want without some of the scattered clever loop backs like the back exit of the "deep zone" from the first S&S.

Dranakin

Oct 27, 2017
This is embarrassing.

I came into this thread interested and wanted to check the game out, but it looks like it's not for the Switch.

So then I was like, maybe I'll check out the first game instead (Salt and Sanctuary). Looked at price history in my browser…wow, this almost never goes on sale. Might as add it to my wish list for the next time it's on sale.

Decided to check out the official Nintendo eShop page anyway… found out I already own this game. So I guess I'll play it sometime?

OP
OP
Dancrane212

Dancrane212

Oct 25, 2017
Still no map, right?

Correct, but the game is now broken up into smaller worlds—now it's more about learning smaller standalone areas vs one large map.

Decided to check out the official Nintendo eShop page anyway… found out I already own this game. So I guess I'll play it sometime?

You should! The Switch release is quite good (at least docked, I never tried it handheld).

Yuntu

Prophet of Regret
Nov 7, 2019
Germany
In general, I agree, but not for a metroidvania game. A game that purports to be metroidvania and that does not have an interconnected world gets an eyebrow raise from me.

I wouldnt view Salt and Sanctuary as a metroidvania. Its much more Souls in 2D. And I wouldnt call Souls games Metroidvanias in 3D.

But maybe I am weird.

This approach fits that imo.

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I wouldnt view Salt and Sanctuary as a metroidvania. Its much more Souls in 2D. And I wouldnt call Souls games Metroidvanias in 3D.

But maybe I am weird.

I looked at the steam page, and the metroidvania label is in the user-defined tags, not the official developer-defined genres. I guess I must have gotten some games mixed up in my mind. I thought I remembered the first game marketing itself as a metroidvania + souls mashup, but it looks like I was mistaken.

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
I looked at the steam page, and the metroidvania label is in the user-defined tags, not the official developer-defined genres. I guess I must have gotten some games mixed up in my mind. I thought I remembered the first game marketing itself as a metroidvania + souls mashup, but it looks like I was mistaken.
No, you're correct and (sorry to say) Yuntu is completely wrong. While I can't say for Salt and Sacrifice, Salt and Sanctuary is 100% a Metroidvania. It's also a Souls-like, they aren't mutually exclusive, but the structure, progression gating with traversal abilities, backtracking etc are all Metroidvania staples.

Last edited:

mael

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
It seems like the game is still interconnected but in a different way. Like you have multiple smaller interconnected worlds rather than one large interconnected world.
So indeed closer to something like Demon's Souls.
It's still not just a linear path, it's more a set of worlds that are internally like nonlinear maps.

But maybe I am weird.

Definitely, for the original it's less gated by abilities than something like Axiom Verge and while exploration is a big part, it's more geared toward fighting like a Souls games are.
It does what it does really well but if you're going in expecting the usual metroidvania experience, it's easy to bounce off.

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
No, you're correct and (sorry to say) Yuntu is completely wrong. While I can't say for Salt and Sacrifice, Salt and Sanctuary is 100% a Metroidvania. It's also a Souls-like, they aren't mutually exclusive, but the structure, progression gating with traversal abilities, backtracking etc are all Metroidvania staples.
well shit

We'll see about this game then!

Yuntu

Prophet of Regret
Nov 7, 2019
Germany

I mean ... it certainly has some Metroidvania elements but it just never seemed the focus of the game to me.

MamaSpaghetti

Banned
Mar 17, 2022
It looks fun, I haven't played the first one yet however so I might tackle that first and by the time I'm finished there might be an Epic sale.

dubc

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
Still no map, right?

Edit: yep, no map. Welp.
Same. I enjoyed the game on Vita, and put a couple more hours into the free Epic Games Store copy, but it needs (my opinion) an in game map. It's odd too because the deluxe version, or whatever it was called, came with a printed paper map. It seemed like it was known that players wanted and in game map.

Animus Vox

Oct 30, 2017
NYC
I remember the first one came out a week before DS3 came out, so good thing they scheduled this enough time after Elden Ring. I still want to go back to the first.

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
as long as the zones themselves are "metroidvania/souls" like with the shortcuts and whatnot, im fine with it being seperate zones. I mean, Dread JUST did it last year and it worked fine.

why is RPS mentioning Monster Hunter tho?

Geat Review from Fextralife:

youtu.be

Salt and Sacrifice Review: Is it Worth It? Should You Play it? Gameplay Impressions

Salt and Sacrifice Review: Is the Hype Worth It? Should You Play it? Gameplay ImpressionsIn this Salt and Sacrifice Review, we’ll be talking about the new 2D...

just started that review and it also mentions monhun lol

Oct 25, 2017
The Metroidvania aspects of the first S&S were extremely lite. It was basically a generic Souls-like structure plus 2 or 3 movement abilities. Those were mostly used to gate off a few regions, rather than there being secrets and smaller progression items tucked around. It did not remotely scratch what people usually want out of a Metroidvania, while very barely technically crossing off a checklist in the most superficial way.

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
The armor crafting system is similar in that you will need pieces from different enemies to craft the armor pieces. So you may need to farm specific enemies for the drops you need. Like Monster Hunter.

yeah just saw that on the fextralife review. That's... that's weird. Not sure how I feel about that, farming bosses is not something I would want to do in a metroidvania or souls game.

Yuntu

Prophet of Regret
Nov 7, 2019
Germany
The Metroidvania aspects of the first S&S were extremely lite. It was basically a generic Souls-like structure plus 2 or 3 movement abilities. Those were mostly used to gate off a few regions, rather than there being secrets and smaller progression items tucked around. It did not remotely scratch what people usually want out of a Metroidvania, while very barely technically crossing off a checklist in the most superficial way.

Yeah thats what I thought on it.

Ogawa-san

Nov 1, 2017
It did not remotely scratch what people usually want out of a Metroidvania, while very barely technically crossing off a checklist in the most superficial way.
I didn't count the first game as a metroidvania just from the lack of a map alone.

For me it's one of the three cores of being a metroidvania: big interconnected areas, backtracking after getting new powers, and a map so you don't spend most of your time being lost.

Hollow Knight did the absolutely minimum for the latter, but it did something.

Casper

Oct 25, 2017
yeah just saw that on the fextralife review. That's... that's weird. Not sure how I feel about that, farming bosses is not something I would want to do in a metroidvania or souls game.

Yeah I will reserve thoughts until I see if it is as grindy. I am a huge Monster Hunter fan so on the surface I am not too bothered by this. I do like that you only need one kill and to get initial drops and all crafted pieces are then available to view so you can "see if the set it worth farming or not". I know that is largely similar to Monster Hunter but not quite the same as in MH you may need a rare/specific drop (a tail, or a gem) for a belt to unlock for example. So that always required a second screen/spreadsheet outside the game to see if it was worth continuing to farm.

xpownz

▲ Legend ▲
Feb 13, 2020

the key word here is may.

Cas states that you only need to do it if you feel like it's too difficult

I Guess, like the first one, you can finish it with pure skill only