• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

MechaJackie

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
President Donald Trump's newly confirmed U.S. postmaster general ordered the endangered public service Monday to make major cost-cutting changes, which could slow mail delivery.

Postmaster General Louis DeJoy, a top Trump donor who has given more than $2 million to the GOP, warned employees that the agency needed to make "difficult" decisions to stay afloat, according to a new report in The Washington Post.

DeJoy, a North Carolina businessman, ascended to the head office in May after the resignation of Ron Stroman. Stroman, who had defended the integrity of voting by mail, was reportedly forced out amid coordinated Republican attempts to undermine public faith in the service.

"Stroman was specifically key on elections and vote by mail — this is not a good sign," ProPublica's Jessica Huseman tweeted in response to the resignation.

Vote-by-mail advocates say any new policy which slows deliveries might mean bad news for mail-in ballots, yielding delays in ballot requests and possible confusion surrounding the tabulations of votes. This represents an acute concern for upstart Democratic congressional candidates looking to pick off Republican seats.

www.salon.com

"Disturbing" memo reveals Trump's new USPS chief slowed mail delivery

“The people in power are trying to keep voter turnout low," MJ Hegar, newly minted Senate candidate in Texas, says

Couldn't find anything surrounding the slowdown of the Postal Service posted here, lock if old.

Deleted member 1086

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Boise Area, Idaho
I mean that's way more far reaching than voting ballots right? What happens when people don't get bills on time and miss payment deadlines? What happens when people don't get prescription refills on time?

TeenageFBI

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Cheating is the only way Trump wins this election so I'm not surprised by this news.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
This is all bullshit by the GOP. The USPS was starved by GWB and the Republican Congress purposely. It's one of the least expensive federal agencies to run for the social benefit it provides.

nhlducks35

Oct 28, 2017
this sounds bad, but haven't studies said that voting by mail pretty much skews evenly between Dem/Repub? So it wouldn't really matter too much

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Not surprised in the slightest. These fascist fucks are going to do whatever they can to claim victory.

Oct 25, 2017
I mean that's way more far reaching than voting ballots right? What happens when people don't get bills on time and miss payment deadlines? What happens when people don't get prescription refills on time?

they don't care. it gives them plausible deniability to try and steal the election, and any collateral damage is fully acceptable to them and their base.

Doc Holliday

Oct 27, 2017
hmmmm

fuck up response to covid-19 so people have to vote via mail
fuck up mail so people can't vote

Trump evil genius? But seriously I hate this asshole so much.

entremet

Oct 26, 2017
This would hurt Trump more though. Is Trump stupid?

City folks already lined up in masks to some local elections recently. They're not gonna be scared to vote out this fascist.

3CellPO

Banned
Jul 13, 2020
Lol that thread about Trump's legitimacy winning the second election has aged well already...

chefbags

Oct 25, 2017
this sounds bad, but haven't studies said that voting by mail pretty much skews evenly between Dem/Repub? So it wouldn't really matter too much

Sure but this is an election year with a pandemic, making lots of people staying home so I figure that should factor voting in by mail a lot more right?

Min

Oct 25, 2017
WOOOOW.... they were talking about this on the beastcast a few weeks ago. Jeff Bakalar was not getting his mail and being really confused as to why his mail was just not being delivered. He missed his mail-in-ballot... huh... just more signs pointing to election tampering and fraud come the fall, if we even have USPS by then.

Oct 27, 2017
The same thing that happens when people can't get unemployment benefit checks or can't afford healthcare. You act like these people give a shit. Hell, the people supporting them don't give a shit even when they're affected

sprsk

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
Trump literally keeps saying mail in voting is rigged, it's the same playbook as 2016. He's saying what his plans are.

OP
OP
MechaJackie

MechaJackie

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
Couldn't find it right now, but there was a thread here recently about some article pointing out that Republicans are registering way less than usual for voting by mail and Democrats are registering way more (or the Democrats at least are registering at the same amount as usual) thanks to Trump's comments about it, the thread and article painted it as Trump depressing the turnout of his own voters, but if they intend to mess with the Postal Service then it might be purposeful...

edit: found a few
www.resetera.com

Democrats have opened up a 302,000-voter advantage over Republicans in Florida vote-by-mail enrollment

This is only for Florida btw https://www.politico.com/states/florida/story/2020/06/24/florida-democrats-gain-vote-by-mail-advantage-1294263
www.resetera.com

Trump’s attacks on mail voting are turning Republicans off absentee ballots

President Trump’s relentless attacks on the security of mail voting are driving suspicion among GOP voters toward absentee ballots — a dynamic alarming Republican strategists, who say it could undercut their own candidates, including Trump himself. In several primaries this spring, Democratic...

Last edited:

entremet

Oct 26, 2017
It's another thing for the GOP to sell off to corporations through the magic of privatization.
Pretty sure it's Fedex and UPS lobbyist who influenced its handicapping. I was looking into doing small mail-order business and USPS rates were way better than those two.

Mr X

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Virginia / US
There was a 538 video I watched recently, and they had said it generally doesn't favor either party much, but if it has in the past, it leans R. Given the current climate of the pandemic though, this year may be an outlier certainly.

linkboy

Oct 26, 2017
Reno

They don't care.

They only care about two things,

• Maintaining power/control
  • Fucking over liberals
These fucking wastes of oxygen honestly believe they're at war with anyone who doesn't conform to their world views.

They'll lie, cheat and steal to maintain their power and win their war.

Starmud

Oct 27, 2017
shipping first class already became a week long thing with covid... a ton of packages i ship priority take longer than 3 days now, which has really made it obsolete given how much cheaper other options are since your paying for speed. i fear ground service may end up being cut all together to force people into using priority/flat rate for heavier packages, its the only real discount option for packages too heavy for first class.

i will say that pre covid, paying $3-4 to get a package delivered in 3-4 days always felt like a bargain price... but most large countries have similar shipping options at a low cost for items under a pound (albeit with longer delivery times in some cases but still).

while i don't trust anyone involved with trump and what his intentions may be, cutting back on service and in turn causing slower delivery to protect cost isn't that surprising. its somewhat believable that the move is necessary, they've already been doing this for some months now due to issues with employees/transportation. i will say for my own experience and people i know locally at USPS, they've been approaching holiday volume through out covid due to the surge in shipping from small businesses.

Deleted member 25606

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Do you have the option to drop your ballot off at your local election office? Washington state is vote by mail only and I always drop my ballot of in the collection box instead of mailing it.
I don't know but I will check into it, sounds like it could be a decent option if possible, thank you for letting me know it's a possibility🤗

Pickle

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Literally the only tool short of rioting, and they've made sure to corrupt both those avenues. What a timeline we live in.

Witness

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
New York
It took 2 weeks to get a package from NOLA to me in Orlando this month. They literally kept bringing it to different post offices locally for a week.

We were going to vote absentee this year but fuck this, our vote matters way too much in FL to take a chance.

Sully

Oct 25, 2017
This is honestly what I'm worried about way more then Russian Interference or pure lies from the administration. How can Biden win if there's only one polling place open for 100k in a major democratic area or no one can vote by mail because they let the USPS go bankrupt and the vote is suppressed?

Kendrid

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago, IL
I've had slow mail twice in the past two months. One was a $2000 Priority mail insured package. It took 2 weeks to be delivered 4 states away. It is so bad ebay says to not use USPS. My other package is 10 Blu-ray's, it is still sitting in Chicago based on the tracking.

By fairy magic FedEx and UPS are not affected.

Nude_Tayne

Jan 8, 2018
earth
This is honestly what I'm worried about way more then Russian Interference or pure lies from the administration. How can Biden win if there's only one polling place open for 100k in a major democratic area or no one can vote by mail because they let the USPS go bankrupt and the vote is suppressed?
I worry about that too but if it's so brazen in how widespread it is I imagine it would at least end up in court. Plus Wisconsin and Milwaukee proved that it doesn't necessarily spell doom.

Tuorom

Oct 30, 2017
"mAil-In VoTeR fRaUd!" Trump whines as he tampers with the mailing system and makes it difficult for people to vote

GatsGatsby

Oct 27, 2017
West Columbia, SC
Might explain why my recent package took 3 1/2 weeks to get to me compared to the other order I did from the same company back at the end of May got to me in half that time. Even company thought the package was lost and expressed me a replacement order through FedEx instead.