• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Zeliard

Jun 21, 2019
That isn't true though. The person said it shouldn't be surprising, yes, and they gave the context for why: not because there's "something within Islam," but because there have been several other attacks from extremists in recent years. Considering Rushdie's had a literal bounty on his head for decades, yeah, it isn't surprising that it happened. And again, the reason for specifically listing Islam-related attacks is because this thread is specifically about an attack from an Islamic extremist. Listing off similar events from, say, Christians would make no sense. The user in no way implied that this is an issue with Islam as a whole.

And to reiterate, before someone takes my words out of context: nobody - including myself - is implying that there is an issue with Islam as a whole.

Right, I get it. Nobody should be surprised by this because of Theo Van Gogh. But you can see how someone would draw another implication, even if mistaken. It is identical to the rhetoric from the Sam Harrises and Douglas Murrays of the world. They're not going around saying Arabs are evil and Muslims are savage. Well, they basically are, but generally they dress it up in this style of otherizing us vs. them rhetoric and I can promise you it's only going to intensify after this.

locke_21183

Banned
Jul 21, 2020
Geez.... that's insane. I hope for a swift recovery to the best he can....

☝️
Saying this as someone who was wrongfully banned a few weeks ago lol
Mistakes and misunderstandings happen. Let it out and try to move on. Working social media before you'd get accused of stuff you never even had cross your mind because you used a couple "wrong" words.

This mistake is especially pernicious, considering it a) saw a poster banned for critiquing fundamentalist Islam in b) a thread about someone brutally assaulted after a fatwa was placed on them for critiquing fundamentalist Islam.

All with the most uncritically bovine justifications from mods who didn't even show the remotest interest in understanding the basic facts of the original case - and now with a gaslighting "we will move on!!!" message that won't even acknowledge any faults were made.

haxan

Oct 25, 2017
☝️
Saying this as someone who was wrongfully banned a few weeks ago lol
Mistakes and misunderstandings happen. Let it out and try to move on. Working social media before you'd get accused of stuff you never even had cross your mind because you used a couple "wrong" words.

I agree that asking for answers on who reported the post is over the top, but at the same time the mods and admins really come across as silly in not being able to admit they made a mistake or offer an apology. They've only offered really thin politician talk.

Anyway, to keep this post on topic and honor the brilliant man, everyone should read Midnight's Children as a sort of prayer for his recovery. I personally had trouble with The Satanic Verses when I tried to read it like 20 years ago.

Oct 27, 2017
The groups that added additional funds to the Fatwa a few years should be held accountable.

Feeling insult on behalf of something (faith in this case) is different from being personally insulted.
i think religious leaders deeply tie their power to the faith their followers have in them, actually at a hard to imagine level, like whole buildings, cities, and countries levels, so when that it is questioned they do feel personally insulted because they see themselves as vessels for whatever divine entity they have put their lot in with. so, specifically in Rushdie's book, i think he had a character mocking this type of figure and it was taken personally. Leading to the call for his murder in the guise of after the fact evidence of his blasphemy or whatever you would call it.

RoninChaos

Oct 26, 2017
i think it's reductive to say there was a fatwa put out on Rushdie because he "shit talked their religion"

or rather just plain out wrong
After translators of the book were killed and buildings were firebombed and he had to live with police protection for years, yes he shit talked the religion. He even apologized for the book and Iran still kept up the bounty on him.

My understanding of this issue comes from Rushdie himself and from reading about the controversy when I was younger. I'm not religious but the issue at play with the satanic verses cuts to the core of what one would perceive as a core western value (freedom of speech) and the rigid idea held by some Muslims that no one should be free to insult or malign the Prophet Muhammad.

As I said, I'm not religious. I think faith is what you make it. If people believing in something helps them get through the day then more power to them. But the that a book written would stir people up so bad because of their religion is taking things too far. And it bothers me tremendously because that same style of violent fundamentalism has taken over America and has crept into our government and is poisoning us from within. You have the right in America banning books, fucking with trans kids, taking away rights from women, attacking the media, and brutalizing those who don't conform to their specific world view. What does this sound like to you?

Jan 31, 2018
User Banned (Permanent): Inflammatory attacks to staff and continuing thread derail across multiple posts, prior bans for dismissing bigotry
Mods do an okay enough job (esp. for the pro bono work they do moderating this giant place), and aren't some perfect monolith that will do an arbitrarily perfect job of assessing each situation against a flurry of both agreeing or dissenting opinions.
Well this just comes across as hilarious tone deaf and out of touch, if not outright apologetic. And I hate the "well, they do it for free so don't critique them" mentality. It's a terrible cop out.

People say a lot of stuff here, and some of the topics are complicated and controversial. Try to work with the mod team and posters here, and less...

lol work with what exactly? The modding here is incredibly opaque. There's a token appeal system that no one actually responds to. And when mistakes are made or folks have issues, it's a "move on or we'll shut down the thread to stop people from talking about it".

Frankly, there kind of hilarious parallels to the American policing system that are blatant and deserves to be called out for what they are - a binary zero tolerance approach with an apparent lack of interest in understanding the community it moderates and so instead resorts to heavy handed tactics to achieve the "peace".

Working social media before you'd get accused of stuff you never even had cross your mind because you used a couple "wrong" words or have a different perspective.
I mean, you say that but that's literally the issue people have with all this. None of that is actually taken into account here by the mods. If it was, then I'd think we'd see a lot more actual engagement, especially in situations like this one - "hey, your post comes across as problematic for the following reasons. Is that what you actually meant or is the wording just a bit off?" Which, instead causing of a multipage thread derailment like you see here, would likely just result in a simple back and forth that could have helped shed some light on the matter. But that would require some, you know, effort.

i think religious leaders deeply tie their power to the faith their followers have in them, actually at a hard to imagine level, like whole buildings, cities, and countries levels, so when that it is questioned they do feel personally insulted because they see themselves as vessels for whatever divine entity they have put their lot in with. so, specifically in Rushdie's book, i think he had a character mocking this type of figure and it was taken personally. Leading to the call for his murder in the guise of after the fact evidence of his blasphemy or whatever you would call it.
On a certain level, I feel like it's just general trait of authoritarianism under any and every denomination. Belief has to be absolute with zero room for even conversation because conversation leads to doubt, doubt leads to questions, and questions lead to change. And if you don't want or can't handle change, you shut down the conversation.

shenden

Oct 27, 2017
Religion is the biggest pollution to the world which seems not ever being able to get ridden of.

This yet another atrocious meaningless attack and awful news. Hope Mr Rushdie pulls through.

Apr 25, 2020
There is no bigger sign that an ideology has become toxic than when it is openly hostile to literature, and that goes beyond just religion. Book burning comes to mind, popularized by Nazi Germany but goes back to ancient times.

It is the penultimate form of censorship, and what happened to Salman is reprehensible. I wish him a speedy recovery.

Oct 28, 2017
Its insane this dude has to live like this for the rest of his life because of a book. I have a Muslim friend and we've discussed this kind of thing before, and he's always told me that in events like this, he'd just ostracise the person but would never advocate for a death penalty. The dude wrote a fucking book, he's not going around and erasing the ability for Muslims to exist or anything insane like that.

The actual controversy over the "Satanic verses" is just mind-blowing shit. Historical evidence of some people in the past believing Muhammad was tricked by the devil into believing he was being given the word of God at one point. Ordering the death of a dude over his referencing of this, amongst other "offensive" statements, is beyond belief. Like the Pope demanding anyone claiming Jesus wasn't born on December 25th be killed.

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017
I don't get the hate mods are getting on this one.
Sure, a better step would've been to at least ask what the poster had in mind. But let's be real, there's a reason why there's such suspicions around such topic.

Heck, even on this very thread, you have people who use this event to spout what they have in mind and wouldn't do otherwise, in a very transparent way.

Stop It

Bad Cat
Oct 25, 2017
Its insane this dude has to live like this for the rest of his life because of a book. I have a Muslim friend and we've discussed this kind of thing before, and he's always told me that in events like this, he'd just ostracise the person but would never advocate for a death penalty. The dude wrote a fucking book, he's not going around and erasing the ability for Muslims to exist or anything insane like that.

The actual controversy over the "Satanic verses" is just mind-blowing shit. Historical evidence of some people in the past believing Muhammad was tricked by the devil into believing he was being given the word of God at one point. Ordering the death of a dude over his referencing of this, amongst other "offensive" statements, is beyond belief. Like the Pope demanding anyone claiming Jesus wasn't born on December 25th be killed.
If your response to your beliefs being challenged is to want to murder someone, you're a murderer.

Your religious views is a personal choice which everyone should have a right to. Nobody should be targeted for their religious beliefs but the teachings within, and the religions themselves should not be beyond reproach.

The whole problem with this situation is that it shows how religious freedom cannot mean the freedom to oppress those who disagree. Fundamentalism around the world ends up with deaths and war due to this and it must be said that Islam is often the victim of the results of religious fundamentalism and intolerance of disagreement. Just look at Myanmar and the treatment of the Rohingya community.

Rushdie has been targeted for years for daring to write uncomfortable things. If being challenged to confront things we don't like to hear resulted in organised attempts to kill people like this in general, we wouldn't have a functional society.

smcc94x

Jul 13, 2021
The moderation in this thread, in a progressive forum nonetheless in a thread about a king of free speech being attacked, highlights to me a bigger question of how as societies we can even begin to deal with extremism such as this when it's so difficult for many to frankly discuss why, in many cases, it happens. And in what fanatical elements or extremist groups it occurs most frequently in, although obviously not exclusively in. And why that is. And how those views can be effectively challenged. All the while being mindful not to make blanket assumptions.

I get that many people can't get into discourse such as this without being ill-willed, stereotypical, bigoted and offensive, hence the sensitivity, but should that mean difficult topics are off-limits in general? Maybe it should. I don't have the answers.

Hayvic

Oct 27, 2017
So this thread is about a group of people who hold certain beliefs and about a certain member of this group acting out on those beliefs and viciously striking down someone because he wrote something that could me interpreted as hurtful.

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017
If your response to your beliefs being challenged is to want to murder someone, you're a murderer.

Your religious views is a personal choice which everyone should have a right to. Nobody should be targeted for their religious beliefs but the teachings within, and the religions themselves should not be beyond reproach.

The whole problem with this situation is that it shows how religious freedom cannot mean the freedom to oppress those who disagree. Fundamentalism around the world ends up with deaths and war due to this and it must be said that Islam is often the victim of the results of religious fundamentalism and intolerance of disagreement. Just look at Myanmar and the treatment of the Rohingya community.

Rushdie has been targeted for years for daring to write uncomfortable things. If being challenged to confront things we don't like to hear resulted in organised attempts to kill people like this in general, we wouldn't have a functional society.

I don't really understand your point here. Maybe I'm misreading it or something, but are you saying that what happens to muslim communities in some countries is the result of fundamentalism and religious intolerance, as some sort of reaction to that ?

Stop It

Bad Cat
Oct 25, 2017
I don't really understand your point here. Maybe I'm misreading it or something, but are you saying that what happens to muslim communities in some countries is the result of fundamentalism and religious intolerance, as some sort of reaction to that ?
What the fuck are you on about.

The Rohingya are the victims of religious fundamentalism in the form of nationalist Bhuddism. In India, Islam is often the target of Hindu nationalists egged on by The BJP. Christian fundamentalism fuelled so many conflicts and oppression I don't even need to list them.

Religious fundamentalism creates only victims, and the violent intolerance of those who disagree with religious views only creates victims, with no solution.

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017
What the fuck are you on about.

The Rohingya are the victims of religious fundamentalism in the form of nationalist Bhuddism. In India, Islam is often the target of Hindu nationalists egged on by The BJP. Christian fundamentalism fuelled so many conflicts and oppression I don't even need to list them.

Religious fundamentalism creates only victims, and the violent intolerance of those who disagree with religious views only creates victims, with no solution.

Well, this is why I asked you beforehand, to make sure if I was misreading or not and not throwing accusations.

I thought that you meant that religious fundamentalism from some muslims was the reason muslims were also victims of other intolerances.

Stop It

Bad Cat
Oct 25, 2017
If you ever want to be depressed, read the Ofcom (UK Media regulator) reporting on broadcast offences requiring sanction.

The amount of channels broadcast here aimed at specific communities that end up hosting literally violent hatred towards their neighbours and who should be fellow communities and friends based on nothing other than what religion they follow is horrendous.

This hatred, and it is hatred, is fomented within echo chambers which people think that others aren't paying attention to. In many cases you get calls, or justification of violence against those who disagree with their views.

Hate begets hate and Rushdie is the subject to a campaign of violence and hate which includes people who weren't even born when the offence made was published and people convinced of his "evil" via ever increasing escalation of what actually happened.

Are we going to have to wait for Rushdie to be actually killed before we can be unequivocal in the condemnation of this sort of response to religion being challenged?

Stop It

Bad Cat
Oct 25, 2017
Well, this is why I asked you beforehand, to make sure if I was misreading or not and not throwing accusations.

I thought that you meant that religious fundamentalism from some muslims was the reason muslims were also victims of other intolerances.
I mean, unless if the Myanmar crisis was caused by some magical Islamic fundamental group I wasn't aware of, I thought I was pretty clear by including them as an example of the victims of religious fundamentalism. But hey, sorry for the ambiguity.

For an example of Christian fundamentalism, a child was excluded from her school because she was adopted by same sex parents and the religious school decided that was unacceptable. Fundamentalism is pretty evil, and that applies to all religions. The fact that this is a specific case of a person being targeted (By Iran, mainly) doesn't stop myself from being critical of all examples of how this creates real harm to people every day.

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, unless if the Myanmar crisis was caused by some magical Islamic fundamental group I wasn't aware of, I thought I was pretty clear by including them as an example of the victims of religious fundamentalism. But hey, sorry for the ambiguity.

For an example of Christian fundamentalism, a child was excluded from her school because she was adopted by same sex parents and the religious school decided that was unacceptable. Fundamentalism is pretty evil, and that applies to all religions. The fact that this is a specific case of a person being targeted (By Iran, mainly) doesn't stop myself from being critical of all examples of how this creates real harm to people every day.

Nah, that's my bad. But this is why I prefered to ask beforehand. The misunderstanding was on my end.

Leafshield

Nov 22, 2019
Mr Rushdie was stabbed at least once in the neck and in the abdomen, authorities said. He was taken to a hospital in Erie, Pennsylvania, by helicopter.
"Salman will likely lose one eye; the nerves in his arm were severed; and his liver was stabbed and damaged," his agent said.
No motive or charges have yet been confirmed by police, who are in the process of obtaining search warrants to examine a backpack and electronic devices found at the centre.
Police told a press conference that staff and audience members had rushed the attacker and took him to the ground, and he was then arrested. A doctor in the audience gave Mr Rushdie first aid.
The interviewer who was with Mr Rushdie, Henry Reese, suffered a minor head injury and was taken to a local hospital. Mr Reese is the co-founder of a non-profit organisation that provides sanctuary to writers exiled under threat of persecution.
Linda Abrams, an onlooker from the city of Buffalo, told The New York Times that the assailant kept trying to attack Mr Rushdie after he was restrained.
"It took like five men to pull him away and he was still stabbing," Ms Abrams said. "He was just furious, furious. Like intensely strong and just fast."
www.bbc.co.uk

Rushdie on ventilator and may lose eye after attack - BBC News

The Satanic Verses author was stabbed in the neck and abdomen at an event in New York state.

A few more details this morning. I hope he pulls through.

Reuters updated their summary too-
www.reuters.com

Salman Rushdie on ventilator after New York stabbing

The author, who has drawn death threats, fell to the floor when an assailant attacked him, and was then surrounded by a small group of people who held up his legs, seemingly to send more blood to his upper body, as the attacker was restrained.

Last edited:

Tuppen

Nov 28, 2017
I agree that asking for answers on who reported the post is over the top, but at the same time the mods and admins really come across as silly in not being able to admit they made a mistake or offer an apology. They've only offered really thin politician talk.

Anyway, to keep this post on topic and honor the brilliant man, everyone should read Midnight's Children as a sort of prayer for his recovery. I personally had trouble with The Satanic Verses when I tried to read it like 20 years ago.
Agreed we cannot have some kind of witch hunt on mods for their mistakes. The sorry not sorry response is weak though and leads to people not posting anything worthy of discussion for fear of being arbitrarily banned.

The news about Rushdie's condition is saddening. He's one of many authors I have thought that I should read to educate myself, now perhaps is the time to finally do it.

RoninChaos

Oct 26, 2017
I read that previous people who have had a fatwa declared on the have been stabbed in the neck as well. Does anybody know if that's a thing that's symbolic in some way?

Jul 7, 2021
The Iranian media seemingly praised the attack. I could see the US taking action, as Russia launched an Iranian satellite a few days ago, and Iran training Russian soldiers (including allegedly training for handling drones).

krazen

Oct 27, 2017
Gentrified Brooklyn
Disclaimer: I have been a registered user on this site for several years now and while I truly believe that this site is better than most when handling social issues with the respect that such important topics deserve, I feel that members of the moderation team have been allowed to be abusive for far too long. Thus why I created this sockpuppet account for the purpose of posting this.

Over the years, I have witnessed several actions of questionable judgement by the moderation team. While I respect them for trying to keep this space free of bigotry and hate groups, several members of the moderation team seem to relish in acting cruel and snide to users in an incredibly disproportionate way. These same moderators, when acting badly (an occurrence which has been getting worse lately), are not reprimanded or held responsible for their behavior. Instead the administration of this site coddles them, refuses to acknowledge any wrong doing on their part, and refuses to allow the community any sense of transparency.

This behavior, along with the sexual harrassment/inappropriate behavior that I experienced at the hands of one of the moderators (my concerns and complaints of which were simply brushed by) and the gaslighting that I suffered because of it, makes me genuinely sad about the state of one of the most inclusive spaces in gaming.

I fully expect this account to get nuked and banned for posting this, hence why the creation of a sockpuppet account was necessary.

Because the users want to witch hunt, demand answers, insinuate conspiracy theories for whats often an honest mistake. And tbh, being forthcoming is sometimes not worth it because when a mod comes in with a rare 'my bad' the users usually attack them? On some 'we deserve answers, you guys are systemically terrible and suck' when it might have been a motherfucker making a call 2am after working hard at their real job instead of this volunteer one?

Even this post is weird because I stepped in, saw homie got banned, stepped back in hours later and he was unbanned and everyone is still flipping out hours later - they owed them an apology but I don't get this 'the mods need to get on their knees and apologize for their sins to the community' entitlement. And we don't have to even get into the bad actors that whoo ride whenever the mods fuck up.

I get pointing out systemic issues in moderation; no one is immune to bias. But man, here it's usually a 'gotcha!' moment where the glee is to shit on all the moderation in general.

Amroth

Oct 27, 2017

View: https://twitter.com/Reuters/status/1558381610780839937

Several hardline Iranian newspapers poured praise on Saturday on the person who attacked and seriously wounded author Salman Rushdie, whose novel "The Satanic Verses" had drawn death threats from Iran since 1989.

There was no official reaction yet in Iran to the attack on Rushdie, who was stabbed in the neck and torso on Friday while onstage at a lecture in New York state.

However, the hardline Kayhan newspaper, whose editor-in-chief is appointed by Iran's Supreme Leader Ali Khamenei, wrote:

"A thousand bravos ... to the brave and dutiful person who attacked the apostate and evil Salman Rushdie in New York," adding, "The hand of the man who tore the neck of God's enemy must be kissed".

The leader of Iran's 1979 Islamic revolution, the late Ayatollah Ruhollah Khomeini, issued a fatwa, or religious edict, in 1989 that called on Muslims around the world to kill the Indian-born author after his book was condemned as blasphemous, forcing him into years of hiding.

Jul 7, 2021
Between this and Iran selling weapons to Ulraine its time for the US and Europe to bury the idea of making a deal with Iran, IMO.

Russia also launched an Iranian satellite. These rogue states are helping each other out of shared weaknesses. The same could be said about the GOP in the US; threaten and antagonize to remain artificially relevant and instill fear into the population.

Stop It

Bad Cat
Oct 25, 2017
The Iranian media seemingly praised the attack. I could see the US taking action, as Russia launched an Iranian satellite a few days ago, and Iran training Russian soldiers (including allegedly training for handling drones).
Considering that the whole situation was caused by Iran throwing a huff at Rushdie, this isn't new or unexpected.

Escalation won't help anyone in this case.

Real

Oct 28, 2017
Even this post is weird because I stepped in, saw homie got banned, stepped back in hours later and he was unbanned and everyone is still flipping out hours later - they owed them an apology but I don't get this 'the mods need to get on their knees and apologize for their sins to the community' entitlement. And we don't have to even get into the bad actors that whoo ride whenever the mods fuck up.

I get pointing out systemic issues in moderation; no one is immune to bias. But man, here it's usually a 'gotcha!' moment where the glee is to shit on all the moderation in general.

A user was banned for a non-salient reason, a couple of users wanted to know why, the staff TRIPLED down, the users wanted to know why, and finally the staff relented (without admitting fault).

What part of what you're saying here is visible in what happened in this thread?

On-Topic: Hope he pulls through. This is sad.

RoninChaos

Oct 26, 2017
It's an almost sure fire way to kill someone.
Obviously, but I wondered if there's a particular meaning behind it considering the reason for the stabbing. This isn't a random act of violence, it was done with a purpose. I'd read of other victims of attacks due to a Fatwa being declaimed that were stabbed in the neck and wondered if there was significance to the fact that they were stabbed in the neck as well. That's all.

Equanimity

Oct 27, 2017
London
Awful news, I hope he pulls through.

I grew up hating Salmam Rushdie, was frequently told how he was a vile person who wrote against Islam and prophet Muhammad (PBUH). But it's never that simple, my hate was misguided and ignorant.

jonamok

Oct 28, 2017
So this thread is about a group of people who hold certain beliefs and about a certain member of this group acting out on those beliefs and viciously striking down someone because he wrote something that could me interpreted as hurtful.

ISWYDT.

On topic, I hope Rushdie makes the best recovery he can, he's a very smart, very brave, and very humane person.

Jam

Oct 25, 2017
Are we taking no-news as good news or bad news in regards to his condition?

Temascos

Oct 27, 2017
Hope Rushdie recovers with no lasting injuries, but sadly that doesn't seem too likely at the moment. But I'll hold out hope.

Equanimity

Oct 27, 2017
London
I'm trying to make sense of what you're saying. Are you talking about Muslims on Resetera? If so, that's quite a bigoted take.

Oct 25, 2017
Rushdie referred to a un-authenticated account of Satanic Verses that was originally recorded by Ibn Ishaq without any verification. Ibn Ishaq (who was born 70-80 years after Prophet Muhammad died) was just a historian collector of things people said or heard, and did not follow the hadith methods to verify the transmissions to write the biography. No sahih hadith exists of that account.

But the issue of Rushdie is related to his book, not just for referring to the Satanic Verses. He had other things written in his book, such as a brothel in Makkah with all the prostitutes named after Prophet Muhammad's wives, or a mad zealot named after Aisha.

So Khomenie put the bounty on his head for all of those writings, not just the issue of the Satanic Verses in particular.
This really, really comes close to victim blaming.

You do realize The Satanic Verses is a fictional novel, right? And that some of what you're taking issue with are the dreams of fictional characters within the fictional narrative? It's like trying to imprison the writers of Infinity War because Thanos killed a lot of people.

Deleted member 8257

Oct 26, 2017
This really, really comes close to victim blaming.

You do realize The Satanic Verses is a fictional novel, right? And that some of what you're taking issue with are the dreams of fictional characters within the fictional narrative? It's like trying to imprison the writers of Infinity War because Thanos killed a lot of people.
I was responding to the reason why Khomeini put the bounty on Rushdie's head, not at all what I'm endorsing or advocating. Can we discuss this topic without trying to play Gotcha games?

gholas

Nov 13, 2020
What an awful thing to do to someone over a book. Extremism is such a nasty disease that allows people to justify all kinds of heinous actions. Hoping Mr. Rushdie pulls through.

I'm trying to make sense of what you're saying. Are you talking about Muslims on Resetera? If so, that's quite a bigoted take.
I don't wanna speak for this poster, but I took it as Hayvic drawing an ironic parallel between the Resetera community as a whole (specifically the banning of the post earlier in the thread) and the situation with Mr. Rushdie. Its a bit of an extreme comparison to me, but silencing a member of our group for a post that was mainly just factual observation and speaking out against the violence of fundamentalism seems a bit extreme as well.

I try to cut the Mods some slack considering that they are doing this for free (and I'm sure it is a thankless and sometimes exhausting job), but even just saying "Oops, sorry we were a little overzealous but we'll work on being better in the future" instead of doubling down on their extreme decision would make the community better IMO.

What I'm a bit more concerned about is RedRush94's post accusing a Mod of sexually harassing them and then being brushed off by the rest of the Mod team when trying to report it. And then removing Redrush's post completely. While I'm cognizant of the possibility that since that account was a sock puppet, Redrush's post could be complete BS in the service of some sinister agenda, but the fact that a user accused a mod of sexual harassment and then that post was just deleted off the site is a troubling to me.

Euphoria

Oct 25, 2017
Earth
What an awful thing to do to someone over a book. Extremism is such a nasty disease that allows people to justify all kinds of heinous actions. Hoping Mr. Rushdie pulls through.

I don't wanna speak for this poster, but I took it as Hayvic drawing an ironic parallel between the Resetera community as a whole (specifically the banning of the post earlier in the thread) and the situation with Mr. Rushdie. Its a bit of an extreme comparison to me, but silencing a member of our group for a post that was mainly just factual observation and speaking out against the violence of fundamentalism seems a bit extreme as well.

I try to cut the Mods some slack considering that they are doing this for free (and I'm sure it is a thankless and sometimes exhausting job), but even just saying "Oops, sorry we were a little overzealous but we'll work on being better in the future" instead of doubling down on their extreme decision would make the community better IMO.

What I'm a bit more concerned about is RedRush94's post accusing a Mod of sexually harassing them and then being brushed off by the rest of the Mod team when trying to report it. And then removing Redrush's post completely. While I'm cognizant of the possibility that since that account was a sock puppet, Redrush's post could be complete BS in the service of some sinister agenda, but the fact that a user accused a mod of sexual harassment and then that post was just deleted off the site is a troubling to me.

What's this last part about?

That's really weird to read, especially considering the history of this site and it's creation.

Edit - Google search only shows this thread, so guessing it was a new account and also their only post.

Last edited:

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
Same as before I believe. On a ventilator and in the hospital.

No new update at the very least can bring some relief that he's still alive. No news is probably good news, if he's recovering.

Thanks. I had heard something but it was secondhand so I won't spread it.