• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Richiek

Nov 2, 2017
www.espn.com

FDA allowing saliva-based test funded by NBA

The U.S. Food and Drug Administration issued an emergency authorization on Saturday allowing public use of a saliva-based test for the coronavirus developed at Yale University and funded by the NBA and the National Basketball Players Association.

The U.S. Food and Drug Administration issued an emergency authorization on Saturday allowing public use of a saliva-based test for the coronavirus developed at Yale University and funded by the NBA and the National Basketball Players Association.

The test, known as SalivaDirect, is designed for widespread public screening. The cost per sample could be as low as about $4, though the cost to consumers will likely be higher than that -- perhaps around $15 or $20 in some cases, according to expert sources.

Yale administered the saliva test to a group that included NBA players and staff in the lead-up to the league's return to play and compared results to the nasal swab tests the same group took. The results almost universally matched, according to published research that has not yet been peer-reviewed.

If this results in an increase in COVID 19 testing in the US, this is pretty good news.

Binabik15

Oct 28, 2017
There have been several papers and studies on saliva based tests for SARS-CoV-2 and the results so far are decent to good. Someone from Yale had one that postulated a higher sensitivity than a nasopharyngeal swab, maybe that has to do with the test they developed 🤔

In general there are quite a few saliva-based tests for (mostly) respiratory viruses, so I'm sure we'll get good ones for SARS-CoV-2, too. It'll make my job easier, but where's the fun in having someone spit in a cup 😜 If all tests are done this way I'll stop testing and go back to the hospital.

neon/drifter

Shit Shoe Wasp Smasher
Apr 3, 2018
Are we sure it works or is this just rushed science because sports industries wanna keep rolling?

Oct 27, 2017
Somewhere South
There have been several papers and studies on saliva based tests for SARS-CoV-2 and the results so far are decent to good. Someone from Yale had one that postulated a higher sensitivity than a nasopharyngeal swab, maybe that has to do with the test they developed 🤔

In general there are quite a few saliva-based tests for (mostly) respiratory viruses, so I'm sure we'll get good ones for SARS-CoV-2, too. It'll make my job easier, but where's the fun in having someone spit in a cup 😜 If all tests are done this way I'll stop testing and go back to the hospital.

IIRC, the class of antibody we develop in the upper airways and mouth mucosa - IgA - reacts much faster and in greater quantity than IgM and IgG. Can be used to detect this kind of stuff much faster and earlier in the cycle than the other ones.

Also is one of the reasons why there's a lot of studies into making breathable vaccines for respiratory diseases.

Deleted member 17092

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I figured a saliva test would be coming as quick tests are available for hiv and are pretty damn accurate.

Oct 25, 2017
I posted about my experience of taking part in the U.K. saliva test pilot in another thread.

For info my uni were doing a two week pilot of saliva testing alongside the NHS and our local council. They are feeding back their experience of running the programme back to the govt in the expectation that this will help shape future policy and approaches for testing.

I took part in the study and provided two saliva samples over two weeks. My tests came back negative, I wasn't expecting to have it but it was nice to see. It was far less intrusive than a swab test and it may become something that is more widely available in other parts of the country.

To my understanding saliva tests check for presence of the virus rather than presence of antibodies so it may not show if you previously had coronavirus, only whether or not you had it at the time of the test. If the sample that is provided isn't sufficient enough to show one way or the other then you will be advised that it is an inconclusive test.

The guidance for the test required you to provide your sample first thing in the morning, before brushing your teeth or doing anything similar. It was slightly inconvenient but compared to a swab or a blood test it seemed like something that a much wider group of people would be able or willing to carry out at home without too much nuisance or without incorrectly carrying out the test. I really hope it is something that can be reliably scaled up to a wider population.

Deleted member 11046

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Surprised this is getting so little attention.

Slavitt is one of the best resources on general Covid information and everyone should follow his threads on the topic. We have so many amazing, brilliant and intelligent people in this country that could have squashed this pandemic if they were in positions in power. It's frustrating watching their expertise and knowledge go unheeded by this farce of a government.

ArkhamFantasy

Oct 25, 2017
Are we sure it works or is this just rushed science because sports industries wanna keep rolling?

It's normal and probably wise to be skeptical of a corporations intention whenever they're helping people, but your premise here doesn't make sense. The league isn't testing people as a charade, they're testing people because they want and need to know who's infected. If there's an outbreak they cant play, if they can't play they lose money.

There's no ulterior motive here, a safe, fast, effective, convenient, affordable test is good for the NBA, and it just happens to be good for everyone else to. If there was something wrong with this test they wouldn't use it.

Mortemis

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Slavitt is one of the best resources on general Covid information and everyone should follow his threads on the topic. We have so many amazing, brilliant and intelligent people in this country that could have squashed this pandemic if they were in positions in power. It's frustrating watching their expertise and knowledge go unheeded by this farce of a government.
It's depressing, really. So many intelligent people that want to do good are thrown aside for grifters and straight up evil villains.

laoni

Oct 25, 2017

Australia has saliva testing available as a backup, has for a while now. It's offered to people who would otherwise refuse the nasal swab or elderly/young children where its easier on them. Our health experts say it's not as good as a nasal swab (Which is why it's a backup) but, it's good enough for use

Parisi

Oct 27, 2017
Whats the turnaround on results? is it still 2-3 days? or is it much quicker now because its a saliva based test?

Feep

Lead Designer, Iridium Studios
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Interestingly California (at least, the Los Angeles testing sites I've been going to) have been using saliva-based mouth-swab tests for at least two months now. What's the discrepancy here? Am I missing something? Were they just not FDA-approved?

Gashprex

Oct 25, 2017
Interestingly California (at least, the Los Angeles testing sites I've been going to) have been using saliva-based mouth-swab tests for at least two months now. What's the discrepancy here? Am I missing something? Were they just not FDA-approved?

this one costs about 10-20 (4 in materials) to the consumer - current salvia tests run 100-120

this test is quick, cheap and effective - and can be processed in current labs

Oct 27, 2017
This is much better than what often happens with government funded advances, where the people working the advancements get to join private companies after, taking their advancements with them and making all the outsized money off of them. They don't rush the science so much as they get to depart with it for financial benefit.

Oct 26, 2017
The University of Illinois has its own saliva test they've been using for weeks now to test staff and faculty. I've wondered how accurate it is.

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2017
I figured a saliva test would be coming as quick tests are available for hiv and are pretty damn accurate.

The thing is HIV has been studied for decades (and continues to be studied to the point where it's not a death sentence if someone is infected with HIV, and viral loads can be lowered to the point that you're near 0% risk to others), so of course efficiencies would be made to testing protocols while also being incredibly effective. However, we've only had this novel coronavirus for just over half a year.

Oct 26, 2017
Found an article on the University of Illinois version here

The release says it features a saliva-based test that is easy-to-administer, scalable, sensitive and specific to SARS-CoV-2, the virus that causes COVID-19. The test produces rapid results, at costs significantly below current alternatives such as nasal swabs. Results are available within 2-6 hours rather than three to four days or more.

Nov 13, 2017
The turnaround time is still took long. If we had something instant, that would be a game changer. This will help, but it's not the megabomb that twitter thread is making it sound out to be.

Binabik15

Oct 28, 2017
IIRC, the class of antibody we develop in the upper airways and mouth mucosa - IgA - reacts much faster and in greater quantity than IgM and IgG. Can be used to detect this kind of stuff much faster and earlier in the cycle than the other ones.

Also is one of the reasons why there's a lot of studies into making breathable vaccines for respiratory diseases.

That might be true - I actually have no clue and never read anything on that topic - but the studies I read were about PCR testing with saliva instead of mucosa as the substrate. So direct testing of virus presence in the sample.

Antibody tests are still not recommended and not approved to detect or rule out an active infection in my country - except for very specific circumstances like strong clinical symptoms but multiple negative tests for viral material (PCR, etc).

Australia has saliva testing available as a backup, has for a while now. It's offered to people who would otherwise refuse the nasal swab or elderly/young children where its easier on them. Our health experts say it's not as good as a nasal swab (Which is why it's a backup) but, it's good enough for use

The thing is: nobody actually knows, because we don't have good, publicised and peer-reviewed large scale studies for ANY SARS-CoV-2 test yet!

Gold standard is a proper nasopharyngeal swap - if they were "not that far up" it was anterior nasal or a conchal swab and they're not.as.good even though the US CDC recalled it's preference for nasopharyngeal swabs (probably a political call or to conform to the realities on the ground, the US has so many tests and such long lines on the drive-ins that you see in the media that a proper NP swab by medical staff in proper PPE is probably impossible) - but even there studies/papers so far never achieved 100% sensitivity even on patients hospitalised for Covid-19! The best timeframe after a possible infection to have maximal viral load in the mucosa of the upper respiratory tract, best swab design, etc. are still not empirically proven and just educated guesses, so to say.

So the nasal swab can't be properly evaluated yet with the four square method (or whatever you call that false positive/correctly positive/false negative/correctly negative chart in English) for the SOP that we will use in the future. So no other test can be properly compared to it, either!

One of the studies had a somewhat overlapping confidence interval (with saliva test on the lower end of the spectrum) and some paired studies had a small, but - if I remember correctly, I just got out of bed - already significant number of positive tests were the nasal swab was negative. In one it was...two...though, because the amount of data points we have right now sucks.

My department of public health that I volunteered for sticks to nasopharyngeal swabs on the basis of the studies I looked up and shared, but saliva based PCR tests look promising and would make mass testing in schools a lot less nerve wracking. If we ever have to do that instead of a class or two as it was before the summer holidays started🤷‍♀️

The turnaround time is still took long. If we had something instant, that would be a game changer. This will help, but it's not the megabomb that twitter thread is making it sound out to be.

The actual PCR test in the lab is not that long. Depending on the # of cycles it's a couple of hours, for Corona I was told it's about 5 hours or so, max.

We have different labs that we have tests done in, the Viro lab of our university hospital and a privatly run one. The Viro lab has to copy their results and manually transfer them into our database, the other has an automated data transfer AFAIK and a much larger testing capacity for SARS-CoV-2 because they simply bought a PCR "robot" that handles large amounts of vials in no time. So one takes 24-48 hours usually, the other sometimes has some of the results up in the evening.

Rapid/point-of-care tests exist and students in our test drive-in are part of a study to validate it...but we have to few positive cases ourselves to compare their results to, so they can't evaluate test sensitivity 🤣 They are trying to get samples out of the USA to test against, they have enough positive ones 🤷‍♀️

Last edited:

Sandstar

Oct 28, 2017
I got a nose swab test and it was nothing. Like someone was picking my nose. They didn't have to go far up or be up there for long at all.

I got one, and it was like an explosion of pain in my nose that traveled up my brain, and took residence at the top of my skull, giving me a headache till the next day. I never want to have one again.