• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
www.vice.com

Salesforce Doing Layoffs a Day After Announcing Record-Breaking Profits

The layoffs fall a day after the cloud software giant reported one of its best quarters in the company's 21-year history.
Salesforce is laying off some of its employees, the company has confirmed, following news that the cloud software giant reported one of its best quarters in the company's 21-year history.
Employees received notifications on Tuesday and Wednesday that they had been laid off from the San Francisco-based provider of cloud-based software company, which employs 49,000 workers.
"We're reallocating resources to position the company for continued growth," a spokesperson for Salesforce said. "This includes continuing to hire and redirecting some employees to fuel our strategic areas, and eliminating some positions that no longer map to our business priorities. For affected employees, we are helping them find the next step in their careers, whether within our company or a new opportunity."
On Tuesday, amidst news of the layoffs, Salesforce CEO and billionaire founder Marc Benioff boasted about the company's performance during the COVID-19 pandemic, and declared a victory for "stakeholder capitalism."
"It's humbling to have had one of the best quarters in Salesforce's history against the backdrop of multiple crises seriously affecting our communities around the world," Benioff said in a press statement.
In March, Salesforce committed not to cut any of its employees for 90 days.
In a tweet, using the Hawaiian word for family, "ohana," to refer to Salesforce employees, Benioff wrote, "Salesforce is pledging to its workforce Ohana not to conduct any significant layoffs over the next 90 days... We encourage our Ohana to pay their own personal hourly workers like housekeepers & dog walkers."
Engineers at the data visualization firm Tableau, which is owned by Salesforce, have also reported losing their jobs.
"Based on the near-record revenue numbers, and all of the other positives Marc Benioff spoke about, doing a layoff of this scale and scope, during a global pandemic seems abjectly unconscionable," Vanya Tucherov, a Tableau engineer who says he will lose his job and has worked at the company for more than a decade, told Motherboard. "I hadn't planned on leaving before retirement, so now having to re-enter the job market, particularly in the era of COVID is more than a little daunting."

voOsh

Apr 5, 2018
Capitalism's ultimate end-game is a CEO taking 99% of the profits and 1 other person doing the job of 5000+ other employees for 1%.

jdmc13

Mar 14, 2019
Damn, I was literally texting my friend who works there this morning. Haven't spoken to him since lockdown in March. He just had a kid in April. Hope he kept his job.

Beefsquid

Oct 27, 2017
USA
If it's anything like my company, the record profits didn't quite meet investor expeditions for the quarter and therefore cuts needed to happen. Ignore the fact record setting profit during a pandemic is amazing, and investors are endlessly hungry leeches

SwampBastard

The Fallen
Nov 1, 2017
Salesforce has a huge presence here in Indy (their name is on the tallest building in the city) and I have several friends from grad school who work their (and they all love their jobs). I hope none of them are impacted by this.

tripleg

Alt Account
Banned
Jul 30, 2020

Kraid

Oct 25, 2017
Cuck Zone
When I got laid off last year I applied for a job at Salesforce. My team was pretty ruthlessly cut (all of our tools were literally handed to another team) to realign new business priorities. The new VP who gave us the news showed up 5 minutes late for the meeting, and then talked less than 5 minutes before having HR go into their layoff spiel. That experience aside I'd really enjoyed the culture of the company I worked for, and Salesforce seemed to align in that respect, which is what drove my interest. The Ohana shit made me deeply uncomfortable, and I was a bit concerned about that part of working there. But phew, this is some cold shit and makes me feel like I dodged a bullet. I'm not a salesperson or an engineer, and it feels like in these types of companies any skills that aren't those are not appropriately valued.

OP
OP
Dalek

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
When I got laid off last year I applied for a job at Salesforce. My team was pretty ruthlessly cut (all of our tools were literally handed to another team) to realign new business priorities. The new VP who gave us the news showed up 5 minutes late for the meeting, and then talked less than 5 minutes before having HR go into their layoff spiel. That experience aside I'd really enjoyed the culture of the company I worked for, and Salesforce seemed to align in that respect, which is what drove my interest. The Ohana shit made me deeply uncomfortable, and I was a bit concerned about that part of working there. But phew, this is some cold shit and makes me feel like I dodged a bullet. I'm not a salesperson or an engineer, and it feels like in these types of companies any skills that aren't those are not appropriately valued.

Absolutely the Ohana shit is so lame and creepy. And ultimately means nothing considering the stories I'm hearing about how people were laid off yesterday and today unceremoniously.

TheSix

Nov 1, 2017
Toronto
This happened to me where I worked. $44 million in series B funding in March, by April 30% staff was cut "to position the company for continued growth."

Gross and selfish behaviour from the top.

Violence Jack

Drive-in Mutant
Oct 25, 2017
And I'll bet the CEO and the other executives gave themselves nice fat bonuses. Same thing that happened at Activision and WWE. Sitting on a mountain of cash, but cutting the employees who got you there.

Midramble

Force of Habit
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
San Francisco
Not directly on topic but I hate Salesforce. Only partially because of the platform and ecosystem itself. Mostly because Marc Benioff is a huge proponent of everything as a service. The push to turn all things into max profit subscription services. The digital fronter of rent seeking economy.

Layell

One Winged Slayer
Apr 16, 2018
This company has all the cards to do well in a more e-commerce environment, them cutting jobs is just cruel.

eosos

Banned
Dec 21, 2017
This could very well be common place, a company that size laying that many seems more like a (delayed) review process culling their bottom performers. Delay because of Covid, I assume.

However, doing so during a pandemic is a bit disgusting.
Yeah this is horrible timing and would make me very unlikely to ever work for the company. Best of luck to the laid off folks, I know Salesforce mentions that they're setting them all up with career coaches / advice to land a new position... but who knows what that actually will mean.

iamdelirium

Nov 25, 2017
Not defending Salesforce here, but layoffs doesn't mean a company is doing bad, it could mean a department is made redundant or unneeded in the current strategy. This is more common than you think.

Switching over sales strategy might mean you don't need certain types of salesperson anymore.

Siyou

Oct 27, 2017
I remember at my retail job people saying; "being busy is job security". Love to see what they'd say about this.

Cels

Oct 26, 2017
yeah no one should believe this family/ohana bullshit coming from a gigantic multi billion dollar company. they will ruthlessly lay you off if they feel like it is necessary

sialnez

Oct 27, 2017
Well, it's about time that Michael Moore found a new location to shoot a remake of the best new Rage Against The Machine video...

Alice

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Ugh... I fucking detest salesforce. Our company uses it and they're just so fucking cultish and gleefully capitalist.

These layoffs just reaffirm my disdain for how they act and present themselves. Fucking shitty move.

Tempy

Oct 25, 2017
Not defending Salesforce here, but layoffs doesn't mean a company is doing bad, it could mean a department is made redundant or unneeded in the current strategy. This is more common than you think.

Switching over sales strategy might mean you don't need certain types of salesperson anymore.

This reads exactly like a defense of Salesforce.

PopsMaellard

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017

If you're posting record profits, you probably don't need to lay anyone off even if they've been made "redundant" with a new strategy.

Giolon

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
If you're posting record profits, you probably don't need to lay anyone off even if they've been made "redundant" with a new strategy.
But if you do lay them off, that means you can make even more profits because now you don't have to pay all those fuckers! Everyone left can just pick up the slack and be more productive!

Employees are a cost center! They're a security risk! Have as few as possible! A few less even! Optimize efficiency!

Septimus Prime

EA
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
"Ohana" means family, and family means no one gets left behind... for 90 days, then 4% of you can fuck off.

Dead Man

Nov 1, 2017

So you take some of your record profits and retrain your people for roles where they are needed. Or you take your record profits and you retain those people until a global pandemic is not massively disrupting the employment market.

It shouldn't be that hard, except people are greedy fucks.

Sectorseven

Oct 25, 2017
What kinds of jobs are they laying off?

Seems like a company that would be largely software engineer type jobs.

Juryvicious

Oct 28, 2017
That is terrible news, good luck to those affected.

This happened to me 1 year ago. Record profits were met with a reduction in our bonus structure, shortly after, everyone in the marketing department and a good portion of our sales staff were laid off. No severance, no notice.

So I've been there and it is a massive gut punch. A union, and better worker rights are solely needed.