• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Big-E

Oct 25, 2017
In Toronto I've been told sitdown customer traffic in China/Chinese food restaurants are way down, but a lot of people are doing takeout/delivery instead. Specialized dining like hotpot has not been doing well.

American/Chinese food has always been takeout/delivery or buffet situation. From what I've heard there has not been a decrease in traffic at buffets.

I went to a fairly busy hot pot place last week and it was pretty empty. Dim Sum and Hot Pot most likely will be the worst affected for the reason you mentioned.

kvetcha

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
What the fuck do these people think, they ship chicken all the way from Shanghai or something? Even the prepared ingredients are usually made domestically.

Fucking hell.

I agree it's overkill, but there's a train of thought that says the Chinese community, being rather tight-knit, are more likely to have friends or relatives who may have traveled abroad for lunar new year and potentially been exposed.

It's silly since there has been very, very little reported transmission in the States, but if I hadn't been keeping up with the daily news cycle I could understand why folks might react that way.

sirap

Oct 25, 2017
South East Asia
Just Chinese restaurants? Might as well go all out and stop eating out entirely, which is what people have been doing here in Singapore lol.

Rice Eater

Oct 26, 2017
Man, I sadly predicted this when talking about it with my coworker a few weeks ago. I'm Asian but not Chinese, he is of Chinese descent though. His parents visited from Taiwan for Chinese NY and they always go out for steak when they come back to the states he said. But he told me that his dad didn't want to go because he was afraid they might get looks or be treated badly because they're Chinese.

I said to him how I've read about some Chinese people already getting those kind of reactions and that I wouldn't be surprised if Chinese owned businesses like restaurants see business slow down for dumb ass reasons. Do they really think that the Chinese people there just recently came back from China or they get their supplies from China?

Oct 27, 2017
The crazy has only just started. Wait until it hits big somewhere outside of China. Then you'll see crazy.

EDIT: on a serious note. If it hits here (ireland) I'm quarantining a couple of oldpeople (in-laws, my Mam). Shit I'm 45, I should probably self quarantine.

Oct 26, 2017
I noticed that at the little Chinese grill near to my home. I sometimes go there for takeaway, and it usually is quite full. Lately it's been a lot less frequented. Then again, maybe I just caught some slow evenings.

KennyL

Oct 27, 2017
Actually a lot of people in Chinese community in US are freaked due to constant coronavirus news in Chinese media. My mom is pretty damn worried and not comfortable going to Chinese markets and restaurants right now. My dad's friends in US and Taiwan do weekly coffee meetups but stopped for the time being. People are extra cautious especially elderlies.

Oct 25, 2017
The crazy thing is in that my area it's mostly Chinese people deciding not to show up. Like this one really great local place in my neighborhood is always PACKED at lunch time, vast majority Chinese american customers. Yesterday it was a fuckin ghost town. I drove up there like damn, are they closed???
I have Chinese friends in SF who haven't left their house in the past month because they have family near Wuhan and they're super scared of getting the virus. It's a shitty situation.

Ashhong

Oct 26, 2017
I'm close with a really sweet old lady that runs a very small (but delicious) Chinese food joint. She is just baffled. Was telling me last time I was in that it's not like she has been to China in 15 years. She has family there, but no one she knows has gone recently. She joked that maybe people think you can get it from talking on the phone.

I'm making it a point to visit as often as I can. If even my immunosuppressant taking ass can go, Austin, yall can too Jesus
I agree a restaurant is perfectly safe. But it could be that customers are wary of other patrons who may have came in the restaurant, not necessarily the owners travels. Yea chances are slim to none I assume, but can't blame people for being a little extra cautious. Hope small business owners like her don't get hit too hard tho, I know many in a similar situation here in SoCal.

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This virus is like the migration waves: it just allows a lot of people to be more openly racist by justifying their disgust of a foreign culture with some dubious news they've heard on TV. Coronavirus is real and it's a danger, but you're about as likely to catch it in a Chinese restaurant as you are in just about anywhere else you are, considering how much stuff we import from China.

Deleted member 60096

User requested account closure
Banned
Sep 20, 2019
While this is clearly because of Xenophobia more than anything else, it also reveals that some people genuinely think that the food from Chinese restaurants come from China, which is as funny as it is untrue

Jan 31, 2018
Heh, I took a chance last week and ordered from a new (well, new to me) Chinese place and never even considered this aspect.

Now I know better and won't be ordering from them again. Because it was terrible. Why oh why is it so hard to find good, thin style chow mein noodles. I know the more authentic places might have it but they don't post pictures on delivery sites and I ain't taking a gamble again.

Knight613

Oct 25, 2017
San Francisco
On the bright side, I've been going to a lot of previously super crowded Chinese restaurants more now since they are not as crowded as before and often times just have no wait times anymore. So be sure to make their paranoia your gain.

Nov 8, 2017
This thread is making me want to eat Chinese food, which then reminds me that I'm sad that Chinese takeaways in the Netherlands don't seem to understand the concept of single person meals. :(

____

Oct 27, 2017
Miami, FL
Nobody read the 2nd article eh?

It states it wasn't xenophobia but rather a vicious lie spread via WeChat about a business owner actually having the virus.

Are the 2 related?

Cort

Nov 4, 2017
Coincidentally I had probably the best Chinese food I've ever had just a few nights ago.

Annatar86

Banned
Jan 16, 2018
In Italy several conventions based on Far Eastern culture (usually called Festival dell'Oriente) have been cancelled as they are usually held in January->March. People are pointing at xenophobia (which surely got worse because of Coronavirus in other specific events) but it's probably due to fearmongering spread from news outlets which led to a market analysys pointing out that a lot less people would buy a ticket and attend this year (my reasoning is that you probably wouldn't have gone there anyways if you hated Asians and their culture)

Philippo

Developer
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Yes, i've seen this personally: a chinese girlfriend of mine is a sort of Instagram influencer who works in her parents' restaurant, which has seen clients going down and they were forced to leave some employees at home. Her parents arenvery afraid of the situation and how are they being perceived as. Her as well.

Good news: she's using her online status to spread some anti-debunking informations to her followers and i've seen her posts and stories go around, she was even invited to TV shows and podcasts.

Even better news: a group of friends from her network organized a surprise group lunch to her parents' restaurant as a sign of support to their activity, and more than 30 people showed up! Sometimes people are really nice :')

Stoof

Oct 25, 2017
Never even crossed my mind when I had some of that sweet sweet Chinese food over the weekend. People just suck ass.

FondsNL

Oct 29, 2017
Americans doing the two things they do best: Being dumb and racist.

This is so ironic it hurts.

It depends what you're choosing, of course, but take out isn't normally representative of the sorts of food a culture eats on a daily basis.

I've travelled through China quite a bit and I think this is very true.
Especially since take-out in western countries is nothing like actual Chinese food. It's often tailored to fit local taste.
It's very diverse and actually incorporates a lot of fresh vegetables. I'd say I felt a lot healthier travelling through China for a month than I did after travelling through the States. It's a lot easier to get a freshly made healthy meal in China.

Timbuktu

Oct 25, 2017
I know given the state of race relations these days that its easy to come out with the pitchforks, but Im Chinese American (Hong Kong) and my family and I have been staying away from chinese markets and restaurants. Im sure theres racism partly involved in this, but mostly its paranoia and being extra cautious.

It's the same for us, those who have been through SARS are extra cautious. We haven't been to Chinatown or central London in general for a while. I think earlier on around CNY the caution made sense; London is so connected with mainland China you would expect more cases to be around. Avoiding racism is another thing that have put us off venturing too far, especially when we've had colds and coughs.

My wife cancelled her trip to see family in Shenzhen but mostly just stayed in the neighbourhood in her days off. Her friends from China aren't meeting up much either. whatever is going on for the Chinese restaurants in the west, it's probably worst in China itself. My wife laments that a lot of the food places she lined up to visit in her trip in Shenzhen will probably close.

We had a pre-booked fine dining thing last week, but that also brought a sense of guilt, when all of her family in Shenzhen and my grandparents in HK have been stuck at home for weeks.

In the UK, only Corbyn has said something about this:

twitter.com

Jeremy Corbyn on Twitter

“It's disgraceful that the Chinese community have faced increased racism and over 50% business losses since the coronavirus outbreak. I've come to Chinatown here in Manchester, a city that has been twinned with Wuhan for 33 years. We stand in solidarity with the Chinese community.”

Last edited:

nekkid

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I've travelled through China quite a bit and I think this is very true.
Especially since take-out in western countries is nothing like actual Chinese food. It's often tailored to fit local taste.
It's very diverse and actually incorporates a lot of fresh vegetables. I'd say I felt a lot healthier travelling through China for a month than I did after travelling through the States. It's a lot easier to get a freshly made healthy meal in China.

Yeah exactly. I was taken aback by the replies to that post, honestly.

Chinese takeaway =/= the food Chinese people eat every day

Jan 27, 2019
Fuck off
Unfortunately some people will take any excuse they can get to be racist and xenophobic, situations like this san can and do bring out the worst in some people snd embolden the bigots.

Even in my area seen the same thing, people are refusing to eat Chinese food recently because they think they will get the coronavirus from the food or the staff.