• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
giphy.gif
yes

sfedai0

Oct 27, 2017
I know given the state of race relations these days that its easy to come out with the pitchforks, but Im Chinese American (Hong Kong) and my family and I have been staying away from chinese markets and restaurants. Im sure theres racism partly involved in this, but mostly its paranoia and being extra cautious.

Knight613

Oct 25, 2017
San Francisco
I'm close with a really sweet old lady that runs a very small (but delicious) Chinese food joint. She is just baffled. Was telling me last time I was in that it's not like she has been to China in 15 years. She has family there, but no one she knows has gone recently. She joked that maybe people think you can get it from talking on the phone.

I'm making it a point to visit as often as I can. If even my immunosuppressant taking ass can go, Austin, yall can too Jesus
The ridiculous thing about this all is that it's not like Chinese restaurants are importing their food from China or anything. Most restaurants here buy locally.

Deleted member 20284

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Same in Melbourne. Old established restaurant closing temporarily due to COVID panic

I feel bad for the community being hit by irrational fear

www.theage.com.au

Beloved Chinatown restaurant closes as customers stay away over coronavirus fears

Melbourne institution Shark Fin House has closed and other Little Bourke Street restaurants are teetering as customers stay away over disease fears.

I was going to post this too. It's the same in Box Hill too, bunch of weird paranoia.

Halbrand

Oct 27, 2017
I know given the state of race relations these days that its easy to come out with the pitchforks, but Im Chinese American (Hong Kong) and my family and I have been staying away from chinese markets and restaurants. Im sure theres racism partly involved in this, but mostly its paranoia and being extra cautious.
This was what I thought the case must be, in Canada I've only seen Chinese Canadians wearing masks out of caution.

Pagano

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Germany
User banned (1 month): Downplaying xenophobia
To be fair, people also avoided pork/beef/chicken when h1n1/bse/bird flu was spreading like crazy... so I doubt it's "just" racism/xenophobia.

Tigerfog

Oct 28, 2017
Montreal
The last thing I want is to hear that some of my favorite places close in Montreal's Chinatown just because of this.
I don't usually eat out, period... but I think I'll go out a bit more, just to give them some business and check out the state of things.

Syriel

Banned
Dec 13, 2017
On this very forum I've seen multiple posts of people asking, with complete seriousness, whether it's safe to open a package of an object made in China. People have gone mad with fearmongering and Chinaphobia.

NCL banned all citizens of China from its cruises, no matter their country of residence (US green card holders excepted).

Paranoia over logic.

Nocturne

Oct 25, 2017
Logical or not, people are connecting a greater perceived risk of catching the virus from a place which may be linked to it.
you mean by people who may be linked to it, by which you mean skin colour that may be linked to it, by which you probably mean racism

i'll try to remember that white people are just rationally connecting the dots when i need to cover my mouth and sneeze and they move away from me, a korean person, because there is a slightly higher chance i have come into contact with a chinese person than a white person would (probably based on my skin colour)

Xaszatm

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I've had people avoid me like the plague when i walk in the mornings. It's...quite annoying.

King Alamat

Nov 22, 2017
Like goddamn, how is avoiding Asian people because you're extremely paranoid about coronavirus functionally different from avoiding Asian people because you're frothing at the mouth about the yellow peril? The end result is the fucking same and it's bullshit people are trying to excuse that.

Nocturne

Oct 25, 2017
like for all the talk about how scary this disease is and how the carriers are asymptomatic it's a little weird how the only people right now being targeted for the appearance of sickness are asian people. you'd think these people would be avoiding eating out in general! never know who'll cough into your food after all.

nah just typical paranoia, nothing else going on there

night814

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
Pennsylvania
This is the perfect union of ignorance about how viruses work and good ol' fashioned racism. Seasoned with just a sprinkling of stupidity.

All these resources at our fingertips and people still stupid.
Unfortunately few use the resource for betterment, most just use the internet for fixing their boredom by looking at silly pictures.

This is incredibly dumb, but not at all surprising.

Big-E

Oct 25, 2017
In Vancouver it is Chinese people not wanting to go out to Chinese places because Chinese social media is filled with people saying x number of people are coming from China and may be sick.

squeakywheel

Oct 29, 2017
What's sad is it's my Chinese friends and coworkers avoiding Chinese establishments l, especially the popular ones. Traffic is down significantly in my town.

Oct 25, 2017
Unfortunately it ain't just because of racism, Chinese Americans are also dodging going too to avoid being around people who have been to China recently

shit like this makes people dumb and irrational, story as old as time

Defuser

Oct 25, 2017
What's sad is it's my Chinese friends and coworkers avoiding Chinese establishments l, especially the popular ones. Traffic is down significantly in my town.
You can't blame them, the coronavirus news came right after chinese new year, and chinese new year is when millions of people flew out of Wuhan to visit their relatives in other countries.

They know if they visit chinese establishments they will bound to come in contact with other chinese people who brought their china relatives to eat there or at least came in contact.

igordennis

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah same thing happening in Melbourne. A big chinese restaurant closed down already because of this (posted on the 1st page) and there is an instagram page that was created to share restaurants that are struggling (specifically for this dumb reason) so that people go out to support them. I feel bad for all the business owners and staff impacted by this irrational fear.

Starwing

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 31, 2018
Yeah, same is happening here around my local joint. Granted, its late at night, but usually there would be around 2-3 people and now its just me.

Deleted member 2802

Community Resetter
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
In Vancouver it is Chinese people not wanting to go out to Chinese places because Chinese social media is filled with people saying x number of people are coming from China and may be sick.
In Toronto I've been told sitdown customer traffic in China/Chinese food restaurants are way down, but a lot of people are doing takeout/delivery instead. Specialized dining like hotpot has not been doing well.

American/Chinese food has always been takeout/delivery or buffet situation. From what I've heard there has not been a decrease in traffic at buffets.