• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Mest08

Alt Account
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
User Banned (3 Months): Dismissing concerns of xenophobia; concern trolling. Prior severe infractions.
What's worse are the people denying that this is racist

"iT's OnLy lOgIcAl tO aVoId cHiNeSe pEoPle tO aVoId ThE ViRuS"
What's worse is when people get labeled horrific shit just because they're ignorant to the facts. These people are dumb fucks, no doubt. But being dumb and uneducated does not make you a racist. Besides, people who are racist against Asian people weren't flocking to Chinatown before this, anyway.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
remember the AIDS/Africa tweet lady?

Alot of people think like that

rusty chrome

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The amount of racism I'm seeing lately is scary. I live in NYC, and just yesterday, I had the unfortunate experience to be walking behind some lady while she was on her phone talking unbelievably loud making racist comments about Asians, spreading tons of ignorance to whoever she was speaking to about the virus.

Oct 25, 2017
As someone who does Door Dash and Postmates in Florida,
This is absolutely true I went from getting 9-10 orders at least a day from hole in the wall Chinese restaurants to maybe 1 at most but the usual Panda Express orders

SpecX

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
People are ignorant. Wonder if this has happened in LA too, might go to Chinatown for some dim sum if so.

ViewtifulJC

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The crazy thing is in that my area it's mostly Chinese people deciding not to show up. Like this one really great local place in my neighborhood is always PACKED at lunch time, vast majority Chinese american customers. Yesterday it was a fuckin ghost town. I drove up there like damn, are they closed???

RoadDogg

Oct 27, 2017
I had Chinese food this weekend, never even gave it a second thought until someone said I was crazy today for risking it. As far as I know no one there went back to China for their New Years and I know they aren't bringing ingredients over. They did mess up my order though :(

Wereroku

Oct 27, 2017
This doesn't even make sense. Shipping takes way to long for something to survive and most of the items they use are sourced locally.

Uzuzu

Nov 18, 2017
In LA it's mostly Chinese people not going to Chinese restaurants. There was even a Chinese restaurant taking people's temperature as they came in to eat

Divvy

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
What's worse is when people get labeled horrific shit just because they're ignorant to the facts. These people are dumb fucks, no doubt. But being dumb and uneducated does not make you a racist. Besides, people who are racist against Asian people weren't flocking to Chinatown before this, anyway.

Not mutually exclusive. I was not talking about everyone avoiding Chinese restaurants either, but people denying that avoiding Chinese people altogether isn't racist.

Aztechnology

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I make it better at home, and have perfected it recently. God damn it's easy and pretty quick.

Shadybiz

Oct 27, 2017
Ah yes, because the steamed dumplings and General Tso's chicken are flown in nightly from Beijing.

Kenai

Oct 26, 2017
My fav buffet was pretty dead last week when I went. I can't do much about it besides roll my eyes at the ignorance and order a bit more Chinese food then normal from my fav local places so they know I love them :(

Aztechnology

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I make chinese good very well and there ain't no way in hell I cook it better than authentic places.
I don't have higher end authentical places here. But I can make it for 1/4th the cost of even the traditional kind of places and better/tailored more to my tastes obviously and create a few extra meals for the week. So it's definitely worth while for me. I think the only thing I'd go out for now is probably like Korean BBQ. I know all of this is relatively off topic to the subject of xenophobia. Just something that I think people should try as you don't need that many tools to do it well and fairly quick. It's just an ingredients game. But there's a lot of availability in the tools and ingredients nowadays even in smaller places thanks to markets created by immigrant families. I'm that white dude that's always there now and they know me by name lol.

nded

Nov 14, 2017
Fuck, I'm out of town and can't capitalize on my favorite Chinese restaurants being empty.

Goldenroad

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 2, 2017
LOL. Jesus, well I feel like I've been eating more than my share to make up for it. I'm noticing a few less white folks at the Asian grocery store too, which is good for me since they only ever have one register going whenever I'm there.

Ashhong

Oct 26, 2017
It's not even all xenophobia. Here in socal I know of multiple restaurants that are usually busy with mainly Chinese customers, and even those are super slow. Shifts are being cut down for employees all around. A lot of people are just outright scared or overly cautious.

Oct 25, 2017
User Banned (3 months): excusing xenophobia
I think the fear is that Chinese Americans are more likely to have had contact with Chinese people, or even possibly have traveled to China recently themselves, than average.

That, plus evidence that some carriers of Coronavirus may be asymptomatic.

It's an infinitesimal chance, but I get it.

mnk

Nov 11, 2017
I thought about that yesterday while I was eating at my nearby not-Panda Express, if their business was taking a noticeable hit from the virus. I figured it would be rude to ask though. The place was empty when we got there, but it seemed to pick up while we were eating.

Halbrand

Oct 27, 2017
User warned: Rationalizing xenophobia
I've been eating at a Chinese place still but I can't blame people.

SupremeWu

Banned
Dec 19, 2017
I thought this virus could live for a few days outside of a host? Funny enough I got a package from China (as in, stuffed with chinese newspapers for padding) a couple days ago and this crossed my mind for a second. But by then the package was already opened so if I die then oh well, kind of got railroaded into that but who would listen to my complaints..

I wonder what sort of affect that would have on the global economy, someone getting sick from a package from Amazon or AliBaba.

Knight613

Oct 25, 2017
San Francisco
I've seen so many people on Twitter making racist posts I've had to unfollow. The coronavirus has definitely shown how racist certain people are.

Jul 18, 2018
On this very forum I've seen multiple posts of people asking, with complete seriousness, whether it's safe to open a package of an object made in China. People have gone mad with fearmongering and Chinaphobia.
Oh you mean those people that asked those questions when the initial outbreak was happening? Seems like it was early on without any news to educate them about it but seems like you are trying to say it was xenophobia

Gwenpoolshark

Jan 5, 2018
The Pool
giphy.gif

tadaima

Oct 30, 2017
Tokyo, Japan
User Banned (1 month): downplaying xenophobia
Rather than xenophobia this is mostly good old fashioned paranoia, if the news were constantly reporting cases of people dying from some tree virus people would be avoiding parks.
I think the fear is that Chinese Americans are more likely to have had contact with Chinese people, or even possibly have traveled to China recently themselves, than average.

That, plus evidence that some carriers of Coronavirus may be asymptomatic.

It's an infinitesimal chance, but I get it.
This. People are freaking out. There are headlines of how people have been evacuating various Chinese cities to head elsewhere. Stories about how people who have visited China have landed in other countries with the virus. Logical or not, people are connecting a greater perceived risk of catching the virus from a place which may be linked to it.

Last edited:

RailWays

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
People are dumb as fuck. I was just having some Chinese food for lunch.

Fiction

Fanthropologist
Oct 25, 2017
Elf Tower, New Mexico
I'm close with a really sweet old lady that runs a very small (but delicious) Chinese food joint. She is just baffled. Was telling me last time I was in that it's not like she has been to China in 15 years. She has family there, but no one she knows has gone recently. She joked that maybe people think you can get it from talking on the phone.

I'm making it a point to visit as often as I can. If even my immunosuppressant taking ass can go, Austin, yall can too Jesus

Tabby

Oct 25, 2017
It's only been regulars at my family's restaurant, business has been a lot quieter lately. I've also seen the local HKers distance themselves from Mainlanders more than usual, so we have to share the blame as well.

It's a shitty situation all around.

I figured it would be rude to ask though.

lol I've had someone just straight up ask me how the business was lately, wasn't even being subtle about it too. She was nice though.

wandering

flâneur
Oct 25, 2017

Okay, a few things:

1. Racism is pervasive, it is insidious, and it is not limited to literally calling people ethnic slurs. You'd think that people would get this by now.

2. Thinking that being called racist is some "horrific shit," especially in the context of people being racist is fucking wild, and you need to sit down and reevaluate your priorities.

3. The idea that patronizing Chinese restaurants precludes people from racism towards Asians, or vice versa, is laughably naive.