• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kotto

CEO of Traphouse Networks
Nov 3, 2017
I'm 100% with you on the lack of black characters and the issue with diddy kong. Which for example would be a racist stereotype that people all around the world are aware of.
But this one is not one of them to me.
What I'm saying is there's no reason to defend anything Sakurai does at this point because it's past the point of coincidence or ignorance.

Your argument I would understand if this was his first slipup, be he's far past that lol

Deleted member 4461

User Requested Account Deletion
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think the issue is that this is Not even posted on a official company Twitter post. This is coming from his own personal Twitter feed, so not a lot of people would normally see this. Of course you always want to give the benefit of the doubt for anything like this, but there are too many examples of his past transgressions that give even the most generous pass reason to raise your eyebrows.

I get you. Benefit of the doubt should be about the specific situation as opposed to a blanket, IMO. As an example, if you said a GOP Senator said "black people are evil and we shouldn't have them alive," I would need to see the evidence, because that's not their brand of racism.

For me, it's the same here - there are some things I would not give benefit of the doubt on, based on what we've seen in other parts of the game. This doesn't necessarily fit with those, so I'm more willing to say it seems like a stretch.

DenverCo

Feb 21, 2019
Denver
I don't feel like pulling up the images, but here is a link to it. There was a thread here for it and all

Along with the fact that there is yet to be a single black Smash fighter, I don't have any sympathy for that man or anyone who wants to blindly defend a person they don't personally know

I appreciate the link.

Scrappy-Fan92

Jan 14, 2021
Sigh. I'm sorry but this seems to be an example of because of the fact Smash has no Black characters (which is a REAL PROBLEM and an indictment of the industry but some people are convinced its a stinging indictment of Sakurai instead) some people will see anything that could be tied to race within the context of Smash in the worst way possible, regardless if it makes sense or not.
  • Mario is not a racist cop/firefighter
  • FLUDD is not a fire hose (at least in the traditional sense)
  • Rodin is not a protester for racial equality
  • It is not realistic to expect Sakurai, or most outside the US, to be familiar with Birmingham Campaign
  • I do think its realistic to expect Sakurai to be aware of how hoses have been used against protesters of all races and across the entire world.
  • However, it can't be that any and all images of someone being sprayed by water is an innovation of historical or political events. The logical endpoint of that position is that it would be racially insensitive (if not outright racist) to ever portray a Black person being sprayed by water and that is obviously a ridiculous position.
  • "If you disagree with me you are obviously ignorant or an asshole" I don't think is good or conducive to healthy debate. Some people in here are saying that and I wished they wouldn't :(
This is not Sakurai, or whoever took this pic, being racially insensitive or ignorant. I can't tell other people how to feel and people are entitled to their opinions. All I can say is that I really don't agree here. As a Black man I did feel some of the stuff with the spirits was coincidental but indeed racially insensitive. However, the topic of this thread, to me, feels like a stretch. I can't jive with the consensus here.

I ADORE Twintelle. I really wanted her to be the ARMs rep and I, personally, was disappointed when she lost out to Min Min. But I was both shocked and pretty upset at the anti-Chinese racism that seemed to flare up at her inclusion announcement. People are/were not helping the cause of Black people/video game characters by being racist towards Chinese characters. That was really a bad look for the Smash community/Smash discourse on this website. I'm glad the mods put a stop to it pretty quickly but the flare up was a gross look.
I mean, I think Sakurai is ignorant to some degree, just not consciously malicious. I do agree that certain members' reactions to Min Min were exceptionally bad, though.

Do you really want Doc Louis, who is clearly very out of shape and would need to be a joke-charakter to function because of that, to be the only black representation in the roster ...? Plant is in Smash, because he is a joke character.
I like Doc Louis and he's already been playable in Punch-Out!! before with relative respect given to him, so yes, I would personally like to see him in Smash.

Those ping pong eyes probably need to be changed, though.

sanstesy

Banned
Nov 16, 2017
No one outside the US associates water hosing with the civil rights movement. Here in Europe for example water hosing is associated with a weapon against protests in general. I'm not sure this image is a good look but it isn't that.

The black stereotype in the spirits battle thing is the real killer and that's where the focus should be on. How has Nintendo not removed that one?

Hyun Sai

Oct 27, 2017
Not surprised either by this or people still downplaying it after Smash Bros history. Did they even try to patch the spirit ones ?

Goskarrr

Oct 27, 2017
This doesn't feel like an accident at all, especially given the context of the other thread as well. Disappointing all around, and so blatantly racist, hot damn.

Faustek

Oct 26, 2017
Friend, I am Just adding to the discussion. Is it ok if I add my point of view?
Not a friend of yours so don't try that.
No it's not ok because you ain't adding you are saying you are ignorant of the situation and then saying it ain't a problem. Because. You. Don't. See. It.
So yes, just sit this one out and listen to the others if you are so unaware of the situation.

Roliq

▲ Legend ▲
Sep 23, 2018
Smash can pick whoever they want to put in the game out of Nintendo's history. This is not an excuse.

Mother fucker put Ice Climbers in the game in the year 2001 CE

EDIT: To put that into perspective, there was as much time between Smash Melee and Smash Ultimate as there was between Smash Melee and the last time Ice Climbers had been in a new game.
Dont really see the point of using a character added 3 games and 19 years ago, I mean at the end of the day they were still "Protagonists" and Retro which was what they were looking for

Oct 27, 2017
You know, I can't wait until we get another director for Smash. At this point I have given up hope that they will improve as long as he is on the helm.

Not that it is a guarantee that it will improve but you know what I mean.
This doesn't feel like an accident at all, especially given the context of the other thread as well. Disappointing all around, and so blatantly racist, hot damn.
What thread do you mean?

Lunar Wolf

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Los Angeles
I didn't even know Birmingham campaign. I don't expect a Japanese born and raised man to know much about that type of stuff.

You could look into other implications but the Birmingham stuff is extremely unlikely.

TheGamingNewsGuy

One Winged Slayer
Nov 5, 2017
You know, I can't wait until we get another director for Smash. At this point I have given up hope that they will improve as long as he is on the helm.

Not that it is a guarantee that it will improve but you know what I mean.

What thread do you mean?
I mean this is probalby going to be Sakurai's last Smash Game sooo

ZeroNoir_

Oct 25, 2017
User Banned (2 Weeks): Trolling Over Multiple Posts in a Sensitive Thread
Not a friend of yours so don't try that.
No it's not ok because you ain't adding you are saying you are ignorant of the situation and then saying it ain't a problem. Because. You. Don't. See. It.
So yes, just sit this one out and listen to the others if you are so unaware of the situation.
ok so don't call people clown, jeez

Zoid

Oct 27, 2017
He's 100% not referencing what OP is talking about. I'm American and I don't even know what OP is talking about, and from reading through this thread neither do a lot of other Americans.

He just made a wacky photo he thought would be comical.

Cloud-Hidden

Oct 30, 2017
He used Rodin because his animation makes it that it looks like he has a comical way of dodging Mario's attack. It's by far the simplest explanation.
This is where I'm at. I see these pictures all the time from Sakurai's account, and he uses all kinds of random trophies, side characters, and frame-specific timing to get wacky compositions.

On one hand, in so many threads, I see people saying things like "Arrogant US era expecting the rest of the world to default to its currency / be familiar with its pop culture references," and yet, we're expecting native Japanese to be familiar with specific instances of US history that often times isn't even taught in schools due to its damning implications and the shadow it casts on white leadership and white citizens.

I'm not saying it's not important, but I do think we can probably offer Sakurai the benefit of the doubt, here.

I didn't comb through all 8 pages but I did see someone mention that this wasn't the first time he's posted something that could be seen as racist. I'm not a Sakurai stan or anything so if that's true, I'm willing to give him all of my side-eye. This instance though, to me, does actually seem like a stretch. If the OP didn't include that photo from Birmingham I never would have made the connection.

Deleted member 4346

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
And they can look for a black character if they so choose. They just choose not to. Nothing is constraining them but their own choices.

Nintendo could have solved the representation problem in Smash any number of ways. They deliberately choose not to. Watching users twist themselves up to defend this here is really something.

This topic wouldn't even exist if Nintendo wasn't so shit on racial issues. That's at the core of it all.

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
this argument is straight out of like 2007. the classic 'we got white guys, we got purple guys, we got animals, we got inanimate objects, but a real minority needs delicate consideration' old thing

they just dont prioritize representation is the only answer. specifically in the Smash context you want to ignore, they have prolifically pulled 3rd party characters from literally anywhere. it should have more freedom than anyone else. they just dont care.
I think we should have more representation. ANd I agree they don't prioritize it, I have literally said as much. I'm saying that it's clear Smash prioritizes based on star power first and foremost and doesn't add supporting characters from any series unless they're super iconic. And that the better fix here is to encourage Nintendo (and the industry at large) to make more games starring minorities and underrepresented groups. Rather than starting at Smash it'd make more sense to address the root cause

Baji Boxer

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
I didn't even know Birmingham campaign. I don't expect a Japanese born and raised man to know much about that type of stuff.

You could look into other implications but the Birmingham stuff is extremely unlikely.
I'd say he's more likely to have come across the imagery from Birmingham, rather than be aware of the specifics behind it. The pictures aren't exactly rare, and you don't have to know anything about the specific incedent photographed to know what's going on in the photo. His actual historical knowledge is pretty irrelevant.

Punchline

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
User Banned (2 Weeks): Dismissive Drive-By in a Sensitive Thread; Prior Related Ban
Whats more likely: sakurai referencing this event for shits and giggles because hes a massive racist or literally any other context

Jun 24, 2021
As someone that knows english and lives much closer to the USA than someone that lives in japan, what was the brimingham campaign ?
This is me here. I live and breathe American culture daily, been speaking English since I can remember, and live a couple of hours from the US border, a country which I've visited countless times, and this is the first time I've ever heard about this or seen that picture. I highly doubt that Sakurai did that intentionally but it is a very very VERY unfortunate coincidence. Now I do know what the Birmingham campaign was thanks to this thread but, for worse or worst, I don't think it's very well known outside of the US like other similar incidents.

aSqueakyLime

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
England
I ADORE Twintelle. I really wanted her to be the ARMs rep and I, personally, was disappointed when she lost out to Min Min. But I was both shocked and pretty upset at the anti-Chinese racism that seemed to flare up at her inclusion announcement. People are/were not helping the cause of Black people/video game characters by being racist towards Chinese characters. That was really a bad look for the Smash community/Smash discourse on this website. I'm glad the mods put a stop to it pretty quickly but the flare up was a gross look.
one of the posters in here got banned for exactly that, lol

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I'd say he's more likely to have come across the imagery from Birmingham, rather than be aware of the specifics behind it. The pictures aren't exactly rare, and you don't have to know anything about the specific incedent photographed to know what's going on in the photo. His actual historical knowledge is pretty irrelevant.
I mean they aren't rare in the US, I'm not so convinced the imagery is common at all in Japan

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Whats more likely: sakurai referencing this event for shits and giggles because hes a massive racist or literally any other context
The OP makes it clear that it may not be intentional, which I believe is the case. But the implication is there and it, within the context of other anti-Black content in Smash & other Sakurai works, is very concerning & is showing itself as a glaring blind spot for Sakurai.

RROCKMAN

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I don't particularly think this is meant to be an explicit reference to the Birmingham Campaign. The way I interpret the image is that Rodin is trying to like, protect Peach or something from getting sprayed with water, kinda like how some people defend royalty from getting hurt. The coat makes me think it's meant to be like a reference to those like the business outfits that security tends to wear or something like that. I don't think they were trying to specifically reference the event but it definitely isn't the best look possible.

I do believe Sakurai does need to be a bit more educated to avoid potentially problematic stuff like that since it definitely is not ok to post something like that without context but to argue that this image has the same negative connotations as the actually racist imagery within Smash Bros itself (such as the spirits and overall lack of black characters in the roster) kinda doesn't do any service to the people that actually want these things to get better in my opinion.

but hey, I'm probably wrong about that and Sakurai is indeed a racist because hell, I had a mental breakdown a couple of days ago, partly because I'm realizing the terrible situations that affect people of my skin color are not getting better, and of course, now the best thing to happen right now is for me to feel the moral obligation to completely abandon smash, a game of my childhood that brought me close to many people simply because it perpetuates racial stereotypes and harmful imagery that impacts people of my skin tone and I just want to be happy about videogames again after literally all the awful shit I've seen come out of the industry over the past couple of months but nope, I cannot have that of course because life sometimes isn't fair

There isn't an easy answer to this my guy, and I'm dreading the conversation with my little brother once I get back home but at the end of the day we gotta do what we gotta do.

You could "quit" smash, but in effect Sakurai already has your money, and getting a refund would mean little. I personally would continue to play smash, but basically mark Sakurai and not touch what ever else he has his hands on from this moment forward. Kinda like with JK and my old ass first edition of copy of Harry Potter 1 on my book case.

I can understand if your frustrations keep you from playing but in situations where the milk is already spilt I wouldn't stress over it but live and learn.

No biggie that was more for other ppl if anything

It's OK, It's my own fault really. I was just on some guy the other day about not saying the quiet part loud. I need to take my own advice.

I'm going to be honest and you probably are going to dislike me for it but, of those the only one I'm down with is Leroy. Forspokens' lead is cool don't get me wrong but I really want to wait until that game is out before I hold it up to be good as far as representation goes.

I played with Master Raven at home once and my sister was like wtf is she wearing and all I could do was shrug

Kinda like how I really want to see how Square handles the second half of Barret's story in FF7R2. Funny enough I distinctly remember getting serious heat for pointing out that Barrett was significantly better offerings than the big other big western blockbuster game that was around the same time TLOU2.

AGoodODST

Oct 28, 2017

Who cares? It's still an imagine of a black man getting hosed by a white character.

Ignorance isn't an excuse for racism, be good if folk weren't so desperate to jump to that as some sort of defence in this thread. Or is simply cause Sakuria is a developer of a popular game? 🤔🤔🤔

The Adder

Oct 25, 2017
I'm going to be honest and you probably are going to dislike me for it but, of those the only one I'm down with is Leroy. Forspokens' lead is cool don't get me wrong but I really want to wait until that game is out before I hold it up to be good as far as representation goes.
Benchmark here isn't "good" it's "better than Nintendo"

Quacktion

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I know nothing of the actual event, but making a screenshot of the only black in-game character being water hosed is very sus regardless of context.

Neiteio

Oct 25, 2017
I doubt it's intentional, but it should be very concerning for Nintendo that a contractor is unwittingly depicting their characters in situations that look racially charged. Someone at NOA needs to talk to Sakurai.

Sanka

Banned
Feb 17, 2019
1) it doesn't matter whether sakurai/his team was already aware of it

2) people around the world are familiar with that imagery, similar to people around the world being familar with tiananmen square massacre imagery

3) smash ultimate has had the racist "world of light" spirit parallels

4) intent/awareness of the creators doesn't change that the image is bad and should be taken down

The "Chi-knees" racist joke from that Monster Hunter movie potentially wasn't something the writers/directors was familiar about, but it was still racist, it didn't matter if it was knowingly racist when it came to what should be done, and was still removed as it should've been.
Whether one is aware or not and whether one should have been aware is important for how we should respond to it.

In this case Sakurai has done nothing wrong as the image to me doesn't express anything that is even remotely close to racism as I don't have that kind of association in my head and have never heard of it up until now. And don't think this reflects it either.

If you do feel offended by the imagery you can ask him to take it down and it would be great of him if he did, even if it doesn't register as such to him. But I for example don't need anything to be done with the image.

wildvine47

Feb 20, 2018
User Banned (2 Weeks): Rationalizing the lack of Black representation
Regarding the comments about the lack of a black playable character - I think it's straight up just because race isn't something considered when deciding Smash characters. For the most part, Smash is all about representing the primary/most important characters of the franchises it features, and those franchises are generally the biggest ones in the Japanese gaming sphere, with the occasional retro Nintendo classic tossed in as a throwback.

So when they look to add an FF7 character, of course it's not going to be Barret, because Cloud and Sephiroth are head and shoulders above him as the most popular/important characters in that game. The same reason is why Splatoon's Marina wouldn't get the nod over the actual playable Inklings - the main/primary character, just about every time, is the one chosen.

The one exception, really, is Min Min, and she was such an oddity that we got an actual explanation from Sakurai himself. While they could have gone for Twintelle there, the creator of ARMS specifically asked for Min Min. Twintelle herself also unfortunately had the problem of not representing the actual main gimmick of ARMS well due to using her hair to fight, instead of, you know, her arms.

It's not like Sakurai sits down to make this series and goes "I must ensure there are no playable black characters", it's just that what he's looking for is the primary characters of longtime popular and important Japanese franchises - which pretty much ousts most black characters from the selection process. It's an unfortunate and painful fact of the industry that the amount of characters that fit the criteria Smash is targeting while also being black are pretty much nonexistent.

Comparisons to other franchises like Guilty Gear or Tekken don't really work, because those games are creating characters from scratch. Smash, with very few exceptions, only pulls from what's already there and what's already made itself an important part of the Japanese gaming landscape - an environment with pretty much no black characters that fit the bill Smash Bros. is aiming for.

Dhaos

Oct 30, 2017
Super Smash Bros should have a black character. I agree 100% that diversity and inclusion is important in all forms of media including gaming.

This picture being racist and a callback to the Birmingham campaign, is a HUGE stretch. Sakurai is Japanese, NOT American, and should not be expected to have the same cultural lens and understanding of American history when it comes to race and race relations in the United States. It's a goofy picture, nothing more, nothing less. The other Spirit battles have also been similarly debunked in those old threads, as there are other reasons they were selected instead of with racist intent. Of course, they could have been corrected in the American localization given that it certainly can be viewed as racist, so I think that is the fault of the American localization team that they didn't choose to change that.

Also, Smash is a huge game with a huge development team. Isn't it another HUGE leap to say that these specific obscure instances = Sakurai himself is a racist?

Rotimi

Banned
Dec 25, 2017
Jos , Nigeria
I don't see anything wrong with it seems like a reference to Mario sunshine to me.
Highly doubt he knows what the Birmingham campaign is. This is the first time I am hearing it, just read the wiki page and as a non American I can't relate really. I do see how it can be toxic for someone that lives in US. But considering Sakurai is Japanese, I doubt he knows this and don't expect him to

Now Sakurai being racist well that's still up for debate, cultural differences that lead stereotyping is big in many countries that's not US. So he may be a victim of that, then again he is making a game for a global
audience he should be more considerate in character selection. This I just think it's a sunshine reference and that's it

Rockets

Sep 12, 2018
Super Smash Bros should have a black character. I agree 100% that diversity and inclusion is important in all forms of media including gaming.

This picture being racist and a callback to the Birmingham campaign, is a HUGE stretch. Sakurai is Japanese, NOT American, and should not be expected to have the same cultural lens and understanding of American history when it comes to race and race relations in the United States. It's a goofy picture, nothing more, nothing less. The other Spirit battles have also been similarly debunked in those old threads, as there are other reasons they were selected instead of with racist intent. Of course, they could have been corrected in the American localization given that it certainly can be viewed as racist, so I think that is the fault of the American localization team that they didn't choose to change that.

Also, Smash is a huge game with a huge development team. Isn't it another HUGE leap to say that these specific obscure instances = Sakurai himself is a racist?
Please explain to me how this spirit battle being racist has been "debunked." I'll wait.

DuAp4S9UcAAOO29.jpg

Durden

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Thanks so much for the title change OP/mods. Maybe now it'll be a little easier to get across how massive of a blind spot this potentially is rather than just not knowing of the Birmingham Campaign specifically.

boontobias

Avenger
Apr 14, 2018
Who cares? It's still an imagine of a black man getting hosed by a white character.

Ignorance isn't an excuse for racism, be good if folk weren't so desperate to jump to that as some sort of defence in this thread. Or is simply cause Sakuria is a developer of a popular game? 🤔🤔🤔

Tomorrow's pic of the day: Simon and Richter throwing burning crosses at mans

ResetEra replies: "It's because he's a witch and they're monster hunters"

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Please explain to me how this spirit battle being racist has been "debunked." I'll wait.

DuAp4S9UcAAOO29.jpg
This is really bad, but I'd argue this one is probably because of DK being the final boss of Punch Out Wii and kind of playing the same role as Mr. Dream in the older punchout games in this case. It's a problem, but in this case I think the intent was almost certainly something else. I think the Dee Jay spirit example is way more sketchy if you wanted to choose one

Status
Not open for further replies.