• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

LumberPanda

Feb 3, 2019
Ok I don't think this is a reference to the Birmingham Campaign. I think it's suppose to be a reference to Mario Sunshine with him spraying down Shadow Mario and rescuing peach. Now that doesn't excuse the image because like... He still used a Black Man to represent Shadow Mario when you could have gotten the same effect with using the black color Mario costume. Man, race shit is fucked in Japan.
This is where I'm at. A Japanese developer going through the effort of recreating an event from Alabama 1963 seems far too so specific. Being racist and using Rodin as Shadow Mario on the Isle Delfino stage is super likely here.

FluxWaveZ

Persona Central
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
At first, I really didn't think so. Like, something like that has to be unintentional, and it still might be. But, lol, using like, the one black character in the game to do this with? That sure is something.

Intentional or not, when these "coincidences" keep popping up in different places throughout the game, well, there's definitely a problem.

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
if he's using dev tools, there's a shadow mario model in Bowser Jr.'s final smash ...
I think Sakurai is trying to post pics that would be technically possible for any random player to take, I think using dev tools to pull out a model in a way that's impossible in normal gameplay would go against what he's trying to do with these pictures

Kalor

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
It's definitely not a reference to that event since I think it's pretty unknown outside of the US, but it's still a deliberate choice to use the only black character that can show up in combat.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Do you think it's because Rodin is black so he is a stand in for shadow mario? That would be pretty bad if that's the intent
Possible, but unlikely considering that Metal Mario would've been a much better candidate. And if it was, that comes with its own colorist implications.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I mean, when you put it like that, it's kind of sus. I don't know who this Roden is, but he ain't the only black person. What about the squid people from splatoon? Inklings I think. Unless the dark skin alts are just that - alts? Because the actual Inkling reps are white? Idk. I'm already thinking too much into this.
The Inkling boy and girl in Smash are from Splatoon 1 where the face Inkling was depicted with light skin while they have alts with darker skin tones. I say "light" because it's likely they were intended as Japanese cartoon characters as opposed to white as default. Splatoon 2 and 3 introduced face Inklings and Octolings with darker skin as well as Marina, a black Octoling.

Raijinto

self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I think that picture is just two characters in the game dodging the spray of the water in 2 contrasting and comical ways which is the humour and the intent.

Hopefully Sakurai can clarify that this is the case soon.

Nights

Oct 27, 2017
I personally just see this as two characters avoiding a normal move Mario does in different comical ways. Rodin dodges rather expressively and Peach just kinda casually dodges to the side. If that makes me naive then whatever, but I don't think anyone is even being hit by the water and that's more the point.

Spring-Loaded

Oct 27, 2017
I think Sakurai is trying to post pics that would be technically possible for any random player to take, I think using dev tools to pull out a model in a way that's impossible in normal gameplay would go against what he's trying to do with these pictures

No, there have definitely been pics of the day that go beyond what's normally possible.

––––

the imagery of black americans being hit with fire hoses was seen worldwide at the time. Even if it can be excused as mere ignorance, even if you can look past the past issues with black character spirits, it's just a bad look.

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Exactly. At the very least it shows he's not bothered with these issues.
I think most Japanese people don't really understand these issues at all and he's probably not actually recieving the feedback from the west. Honestly I think short of an interviewer asking about it it'd be hard for the info to get to him since based on interviews I don't think he likes listening to fan feedback because most of what he recieves is full of toxic shit from salty fans

Kolx

Oct 25, 2017
I was like: ok maybe he was unlucky, and it was some really specific coincidence. Then I clicked on the link and...yikas.

lairo

May 28, 2020
Likely this is just casual racism if that, not a callout to specific American events which he likely doesn't know about. Not that it's any better, but it's likely closer to the Japanese racist ideas that black people are dirty or something.

There's a black teacher living in Japan on TikTok demonstrating how awfully casual it all is, children come up to him asking him if he's made of chocolate, some are shocked when he tells them he's as human as they are. Many adults don't realize how terrible it all is and they don't even know how it could be a problem likening a black dude to a gorilla.

Hopefully people like him, and the slight increase in representation in media, will make a difference in future generations.

Jordan94

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
User Banned (2 Weeks): Dismissive Drive-By in a Sensitive Thread
Do you guys really think Sakurai of all people purposely set up a racist scenario, took a screenshot and posted it publicly for hundreds of thousands to see to purposely showcase his racism? Give someone the benefit of the doubt for once and put your pitchforks down jeez

Thorakai

Oct 27, 2017
This plus the Spirit Battles (which I think still haven't been updated?) definitely shows that Smash needs some sort of race equity review process to make sure stuff like this gets caught.

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
No, there have definitely been pics of the day that go beyond what's normally possible.

––––

the imagery of black americans being hit with fire hoses was seen worldwide at the time. Even if it can be excused as mere ignorance, even if you can look past the past issues with black character spirits, it's just a bad look.
I don't disagree that there are a lot of problematic instances, and I do genuinely believe it's because he has no idea what he's doing wrong because the only people he's actually discussing these things with are other Japanese people who don't understand these issues either and they haven't caused enough of a stir in western media sites for NoA to direct it to his attention

Japan has a lot of casual racism that doesn't get pushed back on there because there's so little ethnic diversity in Japan. This is a problem, but it's not a simple one to fix

LinkStrikesBack

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Do you think it's because Rodin is black so he is a stand in for shadow mario? That would be pretty bad if that's the intent

... I don't see how that could be the intent. Shadow mario is like, blue, for a start.

And if they wanted that, Bowser Jr. Who was shadow mario all along Is literally a playable character in the game

eraFROMAN

One Winged Slayer
Mar 12, 2019
He's done this EXACT thing before with the Shadow Mario Model, even mentioned that its not usual for him to do so. No reason he couldn't do it again.

Edit: Not sure where he mentioned the weirdness of it, but here's the post:

touchfuzzy

Banned
Jul 27, 2019
I dunno guys I'm in Canada and have never heard of this event or seen that picture, I find it exceedingly unlikely a Japanese man would have

Dec 5, 2017
This is not the first "accident", and Smash has 0 Black characters. So it's hard to keep giving the benefit of the doubt over and over again.

I've said it before and taken a hit from the forum, that Smash's representation issues are not a smash problem, but an industry problem. Smash is a reflection of popular characters on Nintendo consoles.

It's sad but there aren't a lot of POC options, and the few that exist, are overshadowed by white "main characters". And primarily POCs are "reskin options."

With all that said, not a good look for this picture.

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
Give someone the benefit of the doubt for once and put your pitchforks down jeez

How many times?

DvHeGCWUwAAjDgY.png

I've said it before and taken a hit from the forum, that Smash's representation issues are not a smash problem, but an industry problem. Smash is a reflection of popular characters on Nintendo consoles.

It's sad but there aren't a lot of POC options, and the few that exist, are overshadowed by white "main characters". And primarily POCs are "reskin options."

With all that said, not a good look for this picture.

Disagree, if they added Sephiroth they could add Barret. If they added Min Min they could add Twintelle. Also there's Marina, Splatoon 3 is coming.

rrost

Banned
Jul 20, 2018
I don't think this was posted with any malevolent intent, but he should at least do some research or get it double checked from other people.

mopinks

Oct 27, 2017
Likely this is just casual racism if that, not a callout to specific American events which he likely doesn't know about. Not that it's any better, but it's likely closer to the Japanese racist ideas that black people are dirty or something.
part of me wondered if Mario was trying to wash off Rodin's tattoos as a Sunshine graffiti gag

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
It's the fact that he's using the attack on Rodin, the only Black character who can participate in-game (albeit as an Assist Trophy).
Yeah, when you put these 2 points together:
  • How many black characters there are in Smash (lol)
  • The fact that Rodin isn't even a playable character, but an assist trophy
It's pretty suspicious...

Oct 12, 2020
I personally just see this as two characters avoiding a normal move Mario does in different comical ways. Rodin dodges rather expressively and Peach just kinda casually is to the side. If that makes me naive then whatever, but I don't think anyone is even being hit by the water and that's more the point.
I think, the joke is, that Mario tried to hit Rodin with FLOOD, who comical dodges out of the way, and accidently hits Peach?
If Sakurai really wanted to reference that moment on history, then he failed, since Rodin dodges the water ...

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think this was posted with any malevolent intent, but he should at least do some research or get it double checked from other people.
I think the issue is that the other people who'd be double checking him would likely be just as racially insensitive and ignorant as Sakurai himself because it's not a conversation that actually happens much in Japan for a number of reasons

Spring-Loaded

Oct 27, 2017
Do you guys really think Sakurai of all people purposely set up a racist scenario, took a screenshot and posted it publicly for hundreds of thousands to see to purposely showcase his racism? Give someone the benefit of the doubt for once and put your pitchforks down jeez

Even if people give him the benefit of the doubt (wouldn't the first time with this game), that doesn't change that the imagery is being invoked. The pic should still come down at the very least

There's a black teacher living in Japan on TikTok demonstrating how awfully casual it all is, children come up to him asking him if he's made of chocolate, some are shocked when he tells them he's as human as they are. Many adults don't realize how terrible it all is and they don't even know how it could be a problem likening a black dude to a gorilla.

Hopefully people like him, and the slight increase in representation in media, will make a difference in future generations.

There's no point in thinking up alternatives that are "less bad." All the reasons why are bad, as is the image.

Creating excuses for stuff like this suggests people in japan are too dumb/sheltered/ignorant/etc. to account for this, which is messed up.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
I think most Japanese people don't really understand these issues at all and he's probably not actually recieving the feedback from the west. Honestly I think short of an interviewer asking about it it'd be hard for the info to get to him since based on interviews I don't think he likes listening to fan feedback because most of what he recieves is full of toxic shit from salty fans
I don't know how fair this is ....understanding issues is one thing, knowing about all relevant events of the past is something entirely different.

I know a lot a about the issues as a Black Person but regarding that specific event it took a couple people explaining it for me to even connect th dots.

Many people jumping into thread now have the benefit of the potential connections being posted and presented to them...but now many would recognize something fishy on their own if they saw the screen just randomly ?

Lumination

Oct 26, 2017
If you think this is an intentional reference, then Sakurai is basically as racist of a person as you can possibly be, and Nintendo is continuing to place him in a position of power.
I mean, there's nuance on both sides here that people often OFTEN like to forget.

On one hand, this is not the first or second time something sketchy like this has happened. People have given Sakurai A LOT of benefit of the doubt.

On the other hand, it doesn't make Sakurai "as racist as you can possibly be". It can come down to the casual racism in Japan where black folks are often seen to be the butt of jokes. Not quite the same as someone who believes black folks don't deserve the same rights. But still not good.

Hermii

Oct 27, 2017
Going to say this is 100% a coincidence. First time I hear of the Birmingham campaign.

The Adder

Oct 25, 2017
I think the issue is that the other people who'd be double checking him would likely be just as racially insensitive and ignorant as Sakurai himself because it's not a conversation that actually happens much in Japan for a number of reasons

Japan has black people.
Japan has anti-black racism
Japan has literally the exact same sterotypes about black men taking their women as the US in their media

People need to stop acting like Japan is some isolated polyanna backwater or that Nintendo isn't a multi-billion dollar international corporation.

Durden

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Especially with the stage, I'm sure this is supposed to be some sort of Sunshine reference.

But that doesn't excuse ignorance, or possible feint ignorance. Don't present a black man being sprayed with a hose you fucking idiot. And I agree there are better choices than Rodin too. Metal Mario....alt dard Mario...the model of Shadow Mario that's in the fucking game...

If it was supposed to be a Shadow Mario reference it feels more shadow racist instead. Very sus.

Dec 5, 2017
How many times?

DvHeGCWUwAAjDgY.png

Disagree, if they added Sephiroth they could add Barret. If they added Min Min they could add Twintelle.

It's not really a disagreeable situation. I've never played a FF game, I know who sephiroth is.

POC are often relegated to party characters while main characters trend white. And that's a problem. From research I learned who Barret was. And quite frankly, not the best POC representation I've ever seen, almost felt like a parody.

For Min Min, she was the most popular, and also, she was a person of color herself. And lastly, she has stretchy arms.

If these are the two examples you're referring to it's straight up the case A I described of "overshadowed by other characters in the series."

Id love to see better representation, I think there are incredible characters under represented, including twintelle and doc Louis, many different gerudo, using Splatoon characters instead of generic squid kids, etc

rrost

Banned
Jul 20, 2018
He could get help from some Noa social media person. He should realise he has wide fan base.

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I don't know how fair this is ....understanding issues is one thing, knowing about all relevant events of the past is something entirely different.

I know a lot a about the issues as a Black Person but regarding that specific event it took a couple people explaining it for me to even connect th dots.
I don't know why you're so confident a Japanese person born in 1970 is even remotely familiar with an event that happened in the US in the 60s before he was born

Alienous

Oct 25, 2017
I can't even figure out what the Devil's advocate explanation would be.

Why wouldn't it be 6 roster characters dodging the water? Or Luigi? Why go through the effort of using an assist trophy with no direct connection to the characters?

Olinad

Oct 30, 2017
Unless he's actually referencing something else that we don't know about... Yeah that's a pretty bad screenshot. Like, I don't even see the point in it.

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Japan has very few black people so the issues don't draw attention there. You're right about the stereotypes being the same, because they're being imported by US media (which is pretty much the only thing about the US that Japanese people would actively consume). Also Nintendo is not Sakurai and as a corporation, Nintendo is not your friend. If you want a corporation like Nintendo to address this type of problem, you need to be sending this to major gaming sites and the like and getting them to generate bad press. Corporations aren't going to act when they don't feel financially pressured in any way.

Deleted member 8593

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
This is one of those things that would probably go by unnoticed if there hadn't been a series of, uh, "unfortunate" instances of anti-black-isms in the game. Rodin isn't even being hit by the water but it's difficult to look at this and forget stuff like Dee Jay. Even if the argument here is that it isn't intentionally racist, it shows apathy or negligence on their part.

dgamemaster

Jun 29, 2020
I don't particularly think this is meant to be an explicit reference to the Birmingham Campaign. The way I interpret the image is that Rodin is trying to like, protect Peach or something from getting sprayed with water, kinda like how some people defend royalty from getting hurt. The coat makes me think it's meant to be like a reference to those like the business outfits that security tends to wear or something like that. I don't think they were trying to specifically reference the event but it definitely isn't the best look possible.

I do believe Sakurai does need to be a bit more educated to avoid potentially problematic stuff like that since it definitely is not ok to post something like that without context but to argue that this image has the same negative connotations as the actually racist imagery within Smash Bros itself (such as the spirits and overall lack of black characters in the roster) kinda doesn't do any service to the people that actually want these things to get better in my opinion.

but hey, I'm probably wrong about that and Sakurai is indeed a racist because hell, I had a mental breakdown a couple of days ago, partly because I'm realizing the terrible situations that affect people of my skin color are not getting better, and of course, now the best thing to happen right now is for me to feel the moral obligation to completely abandon smash, a game of my childhood that brought me close to many people simply because it perpetuates racial stereotypes and harmful imagery that impacts people of my skin tone and I just want to be happy about videogames again after literally all the awful shit I've seen come out of the industry over the past couple of months but nope, I cannot have that of course because life sometimes isn't fair

rafiii

Feb 7, 2019
User Banned (2 Weeks): Whataboutism and Dismissive Drive-By in a Sensitive Thread
This reminds me of the riot in France 2 years ago (yellow jackets)

Clearly Sakurai is xenophobe and hate french people! /s

Calm down era, this is just a picture of 3 cartoonish characters.

Status
Not open for further replies.