• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 25, 2017
I don't understand why he keeps saying this as if 13.9 million of the 14 million people who bought smash ultimate don't exclusively play this way

competitive smash has been and always will be a small niche of the entire playerbase. you can put on a stream of "non serious 1 vs 1 singles matches" but shocking news casual smash players aren't going out of their way to watch streams of smash bros. they play a few games at a party and move on with their life.

so keep shitting on your most hardcore fans who play your games religiously for many hours a day, every day for years and years. i guess.
That's "shitting on"?

I'll always believe.

GenG

Oct 26, 2017
How he can say with a straight face that Smash is a party game after altering movesets and physics via updates in such subtle ways that these might never be noticed unless it's a 1vs1 environment?

If that's not him, maybe the more competitive-oriented features are implemented by the team.

Joegrine_25

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Trinidad and Tobago
How he can say with a straight face that Smash is a party game after altering movesets and physics via updates in such subtle ways that these might never be noticed unless it's a 1vs1 environment?

If that's not him, maybe the more competitive-oriented features are implemented by the team.

Because he wants to please both sides of the spectrum. But smash is first and foremost a party game. Fin.

P.S it also one of the reasons why they hired bandai namco

Mar 9, 2018
I think if they really want to help casuals, they need a goddang interactive tutorial mode already. It sucks to have to explain to a new person how to play. And that's the biggest obstacle.

Hikari

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Elysium
I just wanted to say that I really appreciate everything Sakurai has done. He seems very tired according to this interview. If KOS-MOS doesn't get in then oh well but I can't expect a season 2 after this. Thanks so much for making Bayonetta a thing though.... just please PLEASE buff her a bit for ultimate.

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
Nintendo wants that hype reveals for advertising. They know telling everyone wouldn't create much anticipation

And they're right
Yeah, while I'm not a fan of keeping Season Pass characters a secret (Looking at you SFV for a couple of seasons, Tekken too and DBFZ as well), it kinda makes sense for Nintendo to keep them a secret, since, honestly, Smash character reveals are an event of their own and, depending on who actually makes it, they can be really hype as fuck, With that said, I don't plan to buy the pass until I know who's coming, unless there's a good sale before that.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
the promotion thing doesn't have to be an issue, just bring back battle clash so that smash can promote that instead

Oct 25, 2017
The promotional picks for the most part are more interesting than the internal deep dives. So ... * shrug *

The "x series NEEDS more representation" crowd is always going to be unsatisfied.

OP
OP
Neoxon

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
That's why I'm out forever of this craziness. lol
To be fair, Sakurai has always prioritized franchises with a future at the time. For example, F-Zero was still relevant when Captain Falcon got in. But if we had a discussion about him now, he'd be on the same level as Isaac (a requested character from a dead IP). And regarding newer characters, we can probably thank Roy for Sakurai's current stance of waiting it out for newer characters to join the fight if we go by his other quotes (Ex: We likely would have gotten Rosalina & Inkling sooner, or Spring Man & Rex in Ultimate at all, otherwise).

In the case of the former, there are just certain characters who missed their chance.

Deleted member 36622

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 21, 2017
I feel like this is going to make some people mad lmao.

I mean he has always said that and elitists don't listen cause they think they know smash better than him.

I'm not here to say Smash cannot be a competitive fighting game, but those who ignore the whole assist trophies, spirits, etc. don't really understand Smash. Then you can play whatever you like, the game is super customizable.

OP
OP
Neoxon

Neoxon

Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX

As promised, I'll update the OP with his translation corrections when they go live (as soon as I can, of course).

Deleted member 2793

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
To be fair, Sakurai has always prioritized franchises with a future at the time. For example, F-Zero was still relevant when Captain Falcon got in. But if we had a discussion about him now, he'd be on the same level as Isaac (a requested character from a dead IP). And regarding newer characters, we can probably thank Roy for Sakurai's current stance of waiting it out for newer characters to join the fight if we go by his other quotes (Ex: We likely would have gotten Rosalina & Inkling sooner, or Spring Man & Rex in Ultimate at all, otherwise).

In the case of the former, there are just certain characters who missed their chance.
I was talking more about the people who say there's no beneft in promoting smaller Nintendo IPs and when I said "Smash helps them and happened with FE" they would go on saying this isn't a thing and they only need to add the biggest of the biggest. That's why I don't feel like there's much point in discussing. @ the game itself, I feel like it changed priorities to things I don't care about over what I used to like about the series, so not much I can do or talk about anymore.

Unknownlight

One Winged Slayer
Nov 2, 2017
And regarding newer characters, we can probably thank Roy for Sakurai's current stance of waiting it out for newer characters to join the fight if we go by his other quotes (Ex: We likely would have gotten Rosalina & Inkling sooner, or Spring Man & Rex in Ultimate at all, otherwise).

Why did Roy change his stance on including newer characters?

The Adder

Oct 25, 2017
Look no further than Fire Emblem. Interest in that series went from 0 to 100 the moment Melee came out so much so that shortly after Nintendo localized the first FE.
They localized Fire Emblem because of the success of Advance Wars.

Which once again goes to show that the Nintendo Wars series should absolutely have a Smash rep.

IntelliHeath

Oct 25, 2017
Some discussions I had before with people over FE and how Smash helped the series grow. Some people always says it didn't help, even though Sakurai himself said so several times.

Oh yeah. Did you ever cite Bayonetta's sales and the increase of used games when Bayonetta got confirmed for Smash Bros. It's shame that you let them win and we lose a good member in our community.

Clov

Oct 25, 2017
the promotion thing doesn't have to be an issue, just bring back battle clash so that smash can promote that instead

Yep. Everyone's been telling me "Lip is too obscure, she'll never get in!" We'll what they have to say for themselves once Panel de Pon Warriors is revealed this E3!

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
Yep. Everyone's been telling me "Lip is too obscure, she'll never get in!" We'll what they have to say for themselves once Panel de Pon Warriors is revealed this E3!
it's going to be super weird when st falcon is a playable guest character in panel de pon warriors but i guess smash proves that cross promotion works

Clov

Oct 25, 2017
it's going to be super weird when st falcon is a playable guest character in panel de pon warriors but i guess smash proves that cross promotion works

I mean, Battle Clash and Panel de Pon were both made by Intelligent Systems. I'm pretty sure that means that they're in the same universe.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
I mean, Battle Clash and Panel de Pon were both made by Intelligent Systems. I'm pretty sure that means that they're in the same universe.
mike anderson destroys the eltorian empire, then discovers fairies and decides to help replace post-apocalyptic human society with a fairy utopia
makes sense. hard to see why no one put it together before in retrospect

Brivs

Creative Director, BancyCo
Verified
Nov 4, 2017
Toronto
This is really interesting to read; thanks for posting, Neoxon !

Very cool of him to speak candidly about development. Most people don't realize that DLC is usually a losing game. Most other devs I know assume a DLC attach rate of 5% or less — I don't know about huge series like Smash, but I don't know a single dev who wants to work on DLC; it's tough to justify.

OP
OP
Neoxon

Neoxon

Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
This is really interesting to read; thanks for posting, Neoxon !

Very cool of him to speak candidly about development. Most people don't realize that DLC is usually a losing game. Most other devs I know assume a DLC attach rate of 5% or less — I don't know about huge series like Smash, but I don't know a single dev who wants to work on DLC; it's tough to justify.
The way Sakurai speaks about the DLC and how Nintendo typically approaches DLC makes it seem like a season two is unlikely.

EatChildren

Wonder from Down Under
Oct 27, 2017
Goku fans being told yet again why their dumb suggestion is dumb, this time from the horse's mouth.

Deleted member 17388

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
But Nintendo also denied the 3DS XL rumors just before launch, so that means Goku and Iron Man have bigger chances now... Just kidding. :V

VariantX

Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, SC
Thank god. Now the crazies who ask for this can go away.

Lol if only it were that simple. If anything, they'll get more loud and obnoxious about it. Some people simply aren't reasonable actors and anything other than the result they want just adds fuel to the fire no matter how reasonable the explanation.

At least the small, but vocal crowds of people asking for Ridley, K.Rool, and Waluigi are realistic and doable picks for the games on some level.

GenG

Oct 26, 2017
Because he wants to please both sides of the spectrum. But smash is first and foremost a party game. Fin.

P.S it also one of the reasons why they hired bandai namco

No, there's enough evidence to say that Smash Bros. is a proper, balanced and funcional fighting game, even if Sakurai contradicts himself. The series is way bigger than him.

Trying to force labels onto the series at this point only perpetuates the animosity between the two existing communities.

Deleted member 8791

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Good to hear it'll most likely be up to Nintendo if more DLC happens. Increases the chances of it in my eyes.

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, one of them is confirmed to be appearing in a Nintendo-published game this year.
And DBZ games are published by the people helping making Smash so ... I mean, ain't that far removed.

Thank god. Now the crazies who ask for this can go away.
Never.

But let me hear your grand interesting pick.

Lol if only it were that simple. If anything, they'll get more loud and obnoxious about it. Some people simply aren't reasonable actors and anything other than the result they want just adds fuel to the fire no matter how reasonable the explanation.

At least the small, but vocal crowds of people asking for Ridley, K.Rool, and Waluigi are realistic and doable picks for the games on some level.
I don't agree with them so they're loud, obnoxious and crazy.

Got it.

I've watched people on this SERIOUSLY argue Bandana Dee over Captain Toad over their importance. That was a serious conversation filled with actual shit talking over Bandana Dee and Captain Toad. But yeah, we're crazy for having aspirations for someone interesting that'd shake things up.

But yeah, "keep anime out of my Smash, got it".

Last edited:

Kcannon

Oct 30, 2017

Got it.

I've watched people on this SERIOUSLY argue Bandana Dee over Captain Toad over their importance. That was a serious conversation filled with actual shit talking over Bandana Dee and Captain Toad. But yeah, we're crazy for having aspirations for someone interesting that'd shake things up.

You can't seriously compare actual Nintendo characters with other company characters who have all sorts of legal hurdles to get them.

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018
And DBZ games are published by the people helping making Smash so ... I mean, ain't that far removed.

Never.

But let me hear your grand interesting pick.

Got it.

I don't think your point is a point, unless I'm misunderstanding you. People arguing over two very valid character picks insofar as which is more likely makes sense, harping about a non video game character that has been specifically denied for years is a waste of everyone's time. Talking about Goku in Smash is like constantly asking for Diglett to be a playable character in The Last Of Us 2. Not only is it never going to happen, there's zero reason for it ever to happen. It's just a waste of everyone's time.

Oct 25, 2017
You can't seriously compare actual Nintendo characters with other company characters who have all sorts of legal hurdles to get them.
I'm aware of legal hurdles. That doesn't make some of the arguments made in Smash threads any less dumb.

Yes, it'd be a pain, I still want it. I'm not harassing anyone about it, I'm not threatening to not play the game if I don't get it, just expressing a want and acknowledging the 30 year series history between Dragon Ball and Nintendo to explain why it'd fit, not why I think they owe it to us.

"I'm not getting this game because Shadow the Hedgehog isn't playable." is an actual thing said here. But Goku fans are RIDICULOUS.

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think your point is a point, unless I'm misunderstanding you. People arguing over two very valid character picks insofar as which is more likely makes sense, harping about a non video game character that has been specifically denied for years is a waste of everyone's time. Talking about Goku in Smash is like constantly asking for Diglett to be a playable character in The Last Of Us 2. Not only is it never going to happen, there's zero reason for it ever to happen. It's just a waste of everyone's time.
All of this is a waste of time. My point is, your shit isn't any better because you have no say.

Also Diglett? Wow ...

Efejota

Mar 13, 2018
I don't mind if they just kept updating this one for next gens, but I don't know about others.

Edit: Oh, so Hal Laboratory is free? Can't wait for them to put all the eggs on the basket for the next Kirby/whatever they do.

Last edited: