• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
OP
OP
Oct 27, 2017
What I don´t quite understand why this is news right now. This report (corresponding to April 2019-March 2020) came out more than a month ago
I think you're correct and I'm not even sure the annual report is recent. Going by their IR schedule results for this fiscal year up until December 2020 won't be out for another month:
www.segasammy.co.jp

IR schedule|Investor Relations|SEGA SAMMY HOLDINGS

IR schedule of SEGA SAMMY HOLDINGS INC. are described.

Are you two talking about this report?

Given it talks about performance to the end of 2020 and I believe it just came out today, no?

It even talks about COVID this year.

Eien1no1Yami

Oct 30, 2017
So I contacted the person that has written the article provided by OP in order to clear up some stuff because people here seem to
include the mobile game downloads too
I asked her permission to post this so there you go.

1) The report was prepared before any concrete numbers for mobile were available.
2) The figure tracks specifically unit sales, so Kakumei wouldn't factor in the listing by default.

If so, that number would be a lot higher, given there were more than 500K downloads already

Sakura Revolution Crosses 500,000 Downloads

OP
OP
Oct 27, 2017
So I contacted the person that has written the article provided by OP in order to clear up some stuff because people here seem to
include the mobile game downloads too
I asked her permission to post this so there you go.

THANK YOU

Seriously, even if the mobage was included, I don't understand how people think it amounted to even a fraction of 300K, it's free for crying out loud.

Oct 26, 2017
Not great, not horrible. But it's hardly a AAA and shouldn't need 10 million sales to be profitable. Depends on what Sega expects from it.

foxuzamaki

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
That's reeeaallly bad I believe, right? Cause I'm pretty sure we know it sold 200,000 in Japan alone and probably sold a bit more than that overall in Japan. That means western sells were incredibly low

OtakuCoder

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
UK
Where's this whole "Nagoshi wouldn't let them put it on Switch!" narrative coming from? I know there's the interview where he felt like the Switch was best suited to family games, but Sega's let titles like P5S and Valkyria get ported so I'm not sure he cares all that much?

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Are you two talking about this report?

Given it talks about performance to the end of 2020 and I believe it just came out today, no?

It even talks about COVID this year.

You're right, that looks pretty up to date but taking a quick look at the associated graphs and they're only dated up until the end of March 2020. If not the below actually paints an even grimmer picture:

This link here (found in the article): https://www.animeherald.com/2019/12/12/sakura-wars-game-franchise-crosses-4-million-copies-shippedf/

Has the game franchise crossing 4 million units in December 2019, which is when Shin Sakura Wars launched in Japan, right?

So now, in January 2021, the game franchise has crossed 4.1 million units? So total western sales of Shin Sakura Wars had to be very low (sub 100k I'd say), right?

Eien1no1Yami

Oct 30, 2017
That's reeeaallly bad I believe, right? Cause I'm pretty sure we know it sold 200,000 in Japan alone and probably sold a bit more than that overall in Japan. That means western sells were incredibly low
If you compare them with other Sega wordwide releases they low indeed but from my understanding they kinda expected it already so they were prepared.
The budget from promoting the game was pretty tight and the game didn't have any kind of dubbing, only subs.

Fisico

Oct 27, 2017
Paris
Gamstat showed that the sales outside Japan mostly came from Asia long ago, it's also in line with supposed 300k sales for Shin Sakura Taisen.
So that's 100k units sold outside Japan and probably only half of that coming from NA and EMEA and half from Asia

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Where's this whole "Nagoshi wouldn't let them put it on Switch!" narrative coming from? I know there's the interview where he felt like the Switch was best suited to family games, but Sega's let titles like P5S and Valkyria get ported so I'm not sure he cares all that much?

People are laying it on a bit thick but there was a (different) interview in Japanese where Nagoshi went on a weird tangent about Sakura Wars being for people who have "graduated" from handhelds and then he said handhelds were going away, citing the Switch Lite's "poor" sales.

chivibowie

Feb 14, 2019

Zephy

Oct 27, 2017
I was excited to play it thanks to the action combat, but then I read here that it was 90% dialogue and had like 5 actual battle sequences or something. I can only suffer through so much waifu shenanigans before I get to pilot a cool mech.

Almost pulled the trigger the other day as I wanted to play a mech RPG and it was (slightly) doscounted, but I ended up starting a new playthrough of Xenoblade Chron8cles X on emulator instead.

Tohsaka

Nov 17, 2017
I was excited to play it thanks to the action combat, but then I read here that it was 90% dialogue and had like 5 actual battle sequences or something. I can only suffer through so much waifu shenanigans before I get to pilot a cool mech.

Almost pulled the trigger the other day as I wanted to play a mech RPG and it was (slightly) doscounted, but I ended up starting a new playthrough of Xenoblade Chron8cles X on emulator instead.
Sakura Wars isn't an RPG at all, so you shouldn't get it if you were looking for one. The dialogue and interacting with the girls is the main focus of the game and the combat is pretty mediocre IMO.

Philippo

Developer
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
One has to wonder if sticking to the SRPG route would have led to higher sales.

Firima

Oct 27, 2017
300k sounds offensively bad, considering I had to put up with that grating music in the lobbies for 3 weeks during PSO2's Sakura Taisen collab.

Philippo

Developer
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
I doubt it. is there a corellation between being SRPG/Action and sales? because I figure the platform, quality/word of mouth/advertising would make more of dent than the genre

No but maybe it would have been received better (I remember quite a bit of people complaining about the genre shift) and have had better word of mouth?

OtakuCoder

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
UK
People are laying it on a bit thick but there was a (different) interview in Japanese where Nagoshi went on a weird tangent about Sakura Wars being for people who have "graduated" from handhelds and then he said handhelds were going away, citing the Switch Lite's "poor" sales.

Hmm. Nagoshi's only involvement with SW is as an exec, right? That quote strikes me as something he came up with to spin the fact that there is no Switch version on offer rather than the internal business justification. If the developers felt it was feasible and profitable to port the game I can not for the life of me see any executive going "NO! SAKURA WARS IS A MANLY GAME FOR MANLY CONSOLES! FUCK YOUR FINANCES, NO HANDHELD KIDDIES ALLOWED".

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
No but maybe it would have been received better (I remember quite a bit of people complaining about the genre shift) and have had better word of mouth?
they probably could achieve the same just by having a better action combat system. I remember reading some impressions that the combat itself wasn't the best and was serviceable. I think there were patches that gave the game some QoL improvements?

Deleted member 63122

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 16, 2020
Hmm. Nagoshi's only involvement with SW is as an exec, right? That quote strikes me as something he came up with to spin the fact that there is no Switch version on offer rather than the internal business justification. If the developers felt it was feasible and profitable to port the game I can not for the life of me see any executive going "NO! SAKURA WARS IS A MANLY GAME FOR MANLY CONSOLES! FUCK YOUR FINANCES, NO HANDHELD KIDDIES ALLOWED".
That's basically the thinking of a few bosses in Japan. They are still on the Nintendo vs Playstation era, and it's hurting their companies deeply.

Virtua Sanus

Nov 24, 2017
Honestly this is better than I expected. It is relatively comparable to some of the PlayStation 3 era Yakuza titles both in Asia and English speaking regions.

Depending on how easily the team can transition into an asset reuse heavy sequel (which both Yakuza and Sakura Taisen fans are used to) I think they can make this work out and move on forward. I have my fingers crossed for that, at least.

A PC, Xbox or Nintendo Switch port is not a magic bullet, and I am sure if the latter was feasible they would have done it. They probably were not terribly happy with the returns Valkyria Chronicles 4 and Shining Resonance Refrain had on any of those platforms.

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

You would hope but there is definitely weird tribalistic decision making going on in the Japanese industry.

Roliq

▲ Legend ▲
Sep 23, 2018
A PC, Xbox or Nintendo Switch port is not a magic bullet, and I am sure if the latter was feasible they would have done it. They probably were not terribly happy with the returns Valkyria Chronicles 4 and Shining Resonance Refrain had on any of those platforms.
That is still dumb considering the ridiculous amount of success stories on the Switch and PC

Ouroboros

Oct 27, 2017
United States
I wish I could get into visual novels. This game, visually, jives with me.

if I found a genie and I had three wishes, one of those would legit be "make me like Visual Novel games".

chivibowie

Feb 14, 2019
I repeat again lol, these data are from before the release in the Western markets. According to sega right now they are in fiscal year 2021.

OP
OP
Oct 27, 2017
I did my part, platinumed the game.

Good sales considering the series has seen a drop in interest... Even the mobile game has been coined a financial failure.

www.destructoid.com

Sakura Wars mobile game has reportedly been an expensive disaster

Bad news for the Flower Division 2020 saw Sega hit the reset button on its long-running RPG franchise, Sakura Wars....

At least that whole "financial disaster" thing was unfounded. The mobage probably took a loss, but I don't think it took THAT much of a loss.

Squarealex

Nov 11, 2017
Only Japan and Asia are buying it.

LoEdTtN.jpg
More Belgium than France ? Sound like a mistake...

Status
Not open for further replies.