• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Best Girl

• Sakura

Votes: 67 27.0%
  • Hatsuho

Votes: 62 25.0%
  • Claris

Votes: 34 13.7%
  • Azami

Votes: 10 4.0%
  • Anastasia

Votes: 75 30.2%

• Total voters

nocontent

Dec 29, 2017
At this point I don't think there's gonna be a digital preorder.
The game is just gonna be up on PSN on release day.

Seems that this will be the case. In times where psn is limiting its bandwidth I wonder if it will be better just to order and wait - I almost didn't get to play FF VII Remake because even with the earlier preload the 90+ GB took several days.
I do not hink limiting bandwith is how the internet works, but I understand that they want to contribute something in these times.

Deleted member 3700

User requested account closure
Oct 25, 2017
Hatsuho forever! Ah well, I don't begrudge your choice -- Claris was a close second for me.
Good taste! Have you watch the anime? Hatsuho just kinda got her personal arc in the latest episode.
Yeah, I mean I know why no one votes for Azami but it's still crazy to me.
It goes to show how little faith the western audience has for a japanese developer to handle a kid character in a game and even more in a game with dating sim/romance elements.
Azami is a great character, imo she has the best character arc and some of the funniest moments in the game .
They way they handled her is 100 times better compared to Iris or even Coquelicot.
Can't agree with you more! I have to admit, I was also expecting nothing from Azami due to my lukewarm memories towards Iris and Coquelicot, but they surely broke my expectation... I think she is my second favorite character in-game, and so far in the anime, she also has a stellar performance. I think we are going to see many people liking her once they got the game.

Nov 6, 2017
How long is the expected gameplay here? Any replay value?
There's an ending per girl - if you just want the achivements you can keep on going back to the decision in episode 7, but if you want to fill out your event log you need to run through the game from start to end each time because there's no system save file / postgame event/music viewer unlike every other game in the series.

Oct 27, 2017
Bandung Indonesia
There's an ending per girl - if you just want the achivements you can keep on going back to the decision in episode 7, but if you want to fill out your event log you need to run through the game from start to end each time because there's no system save file / postgame event/music viewer unlike every other game in the series.

How long we can expect achieving a single ending will take?

Fuhgeddit

#TeamThierry
Oct 27, 2017
i had no idea what this game is and never really played anything regarding sakura wars but godamn it looks so damn flashy and beautiful. Is the combat any good btw? I think I'd enjoy this game.

WildEagle18

Feb 22, 2018
Super excited. Grabbing a digital copy for now and double dipping for a physical copy when I can. I was hoping they'd put up the pre-order early but I guess we gotta wait 'till PSN updates tmr

mudai

Oct 27, 2017
Great and informative OT! Very much looking forward to the game. I really like the series even though I only played two of them (the orginal and the PS2 / Wii one). The original is still great and I highly recommend checking it out, especially now since it received a fantastic fan translation.

I really hope Sakura Wars will be a thing again and that Sega will support its localization if there will be sequels. Maybe, just maybe, Kohran will make her comeback to. If Sumire can, then Kohran can too, hehe!

Christian

Oct 25, 2017
What is with SEGA taking beloved SRPGs and turning them into generic action garbage? Yeesh. Just leave it alone.

Terraforce

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Looking forward to this. Glad I was able to get a physical copy day one to support the series regardless of whether I like it or not. Would be a shame for this to get a revival with so many big names in the team only for it to kill the series again.

What is with SEGA taking beloved SRPGs and turning them into generic action garbage? Yeesh. Just leave it alone.
Action gameplay isn't inherently bad. I'm saying this as someone who much prefers turned base rpgs and strategy games.

cj_iwakura

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Coral Springs, FL
Looking forward to this. Glad I was able to get a physical copy day one to support the series regardless of whether I like it or not. Would be a shame for this to get a revival with so many big names in the team only for it to kill the series again.

Action gameplay isn't inherently bad. I'm saying this as someone who much prefers turned base rpgs and strategy games.
Of course not, but this is super generic musou.

If they wanted to make Sakura Wars into an action game, I would've welcomed it being like Zone of the Enders or Vanquish(yeah right).

Come to think of it, Sakura Wars Yakuza would be incredible.

Terraforce

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Of course not, but this is super generic musou.

If they wanted to make Sakura Wars into an action game, I would've welcomed it being like Zone of the Enders or Vanquish(yeah right).

Combat is such a small part of the game that it doesn't seem like a problem imo. And I've heard a lot of positive impressions post day one patch.

OP
OP
Eien1no1Yami

Eien1no1Yami

Oct 30, 2017

Actually that's something I've thought myself too and you know what, they can do it if they want.
As much as lackluster this game's combat is I still think it has potential to be something way better, always for 2-3 hours worth of gameplay content.
When playing the game it is evident that the Yakuza team helped a little bit to create the combat system
Basic combos are similar to Kiryu's basic combos for example.
They have to work on it hard in the sequel but they can do it.
But now that we are here, I really don't think they'll go back to the SRPG gameplay.

Last edited:

HaremKing

Banned
Dec 20, 2018
I don't think there's ever been a time I didn't choose a Saori Hayami voiced character as 'best girl', so easy win for Claris there.

I'm curious to see how the English localization is.

Terraforce

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I don't know what you mean by that, since I've been playing RPGs for 30ish years...

...what? I said impressions not the length of time someone has played a game. What I said was that the people I generally follow have given it positive impressions and the combat is such a small part of the game that it doesn't matter to me personally. You can do you.

Shizuka

Oct 25, 2017
Guess I'll be participating in this thread, looking forward to talking about the game with everyone!

cj_iwakura

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Coral Springs, FL
...what? I said impressions not the length of time someone has played a game. What I said was that the people I generally follow have given it positive impressions and the combat is such a small part of the game that it doesn't matter to me personally. You can do you.
If you can find a single person who says it has good combat, I'd love to see it.

The story can be the best ever, but there's no denying they took part of the series charm away by upending the combat.

HaremKing

Banned
Dec 20, 2018
Uh no. The combat in previous Sakura Taisen titles was slow, clunky, and never particularly engaging. Battles were 75% walking the koubus all across the map and then 25% easily eliminating the enemies.

At least in New Sakura Wars the combat for the most part got rid of the slow part even if it kept the clunky and not engaging factor the same.

cj_iwakura

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Coral Springs, FL
Uh no. The combat in previous Sakura Taisen titles was slow, clunky, and never particularly engaging. Battles were 75% walking the koubus all across the map and then 25% easily eliminating the enemies.

At least in New Sakura Wars the combat for the most part got rid of the slow part even if it kept the clunky and not engaging factor the same.
Agree to disagree, I loved V's combat.

Terraforce

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
If you can find a single person who says it has good combat, I'd love to see it.

The story can be the best ever, but there's no denying they took part of the series charm away by upending the combat.
Particularly this one who said they loved the game, combat included

Ben Moore has been positive about the game as well, demo included. I mean the game doesn't have a crazy high MC score, but among the few reviews I did read quite a bit said they enjoyed the combat for what it was and this was pre patch.

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
I've played the first "episode" so far and I love it, it really does feel like playing an anime and the music in particular is top notch

As for the combat, I think it does its job pretty well. If they made it too in-depth then it'd take away from the adventure portions, making people wish they could return to it instead of exploring the world, which would be a mistake. Instead it's a super fun and quick breather of sorts that shows you how powerful the robots are. Honestly my only issue with it so far is that a boss had so little HP it made a hype moment a little less hype.

Also the relationship stuff hasn't gotten too creepy yet. The options have been there, and the reactions have been very anime for a few lines, but if you go into the game not expecting at least a degree of that then you've probably avoided literally every bit of promo material.

Viale

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017

...?
I thought people weren't fans of the original srpg combat either tho? That's the impression I've always gotten when seeing people talk about it at least.

Antydotes

One Winged Slayer
Dec 3, 2017
I remember seeing the Wii release on shelves a decade or so ago, but never pulled the trigger on my curiosity back then. I'm curious about this title again, but not sure if I will pull the trigger at full price. I'm hoping if I wait for a sale price ($30-$40?) that the physical bonuses will still be available. More interested in the combat than the social options, but that's almost any game I seem to play. I never messed with the relationship/social stuff in games unless it's just added (support) conversations like older Fire Emblem games.

OP
OP
Eien1no1Yami

Eien1no1Yami

Oct 30, 2017
...?
I thought people weren't fans of the original srpg combat either tho? That's the impression I've always gotten when seeing people talk about it at least.
Well here's the thing with the combat.

I'm also one of the people who thinks that the SRPG combat of the previous games was shallow too and I have no problems with the change to action.
Sakura Wars 5 maybe was the only game that they tried to spice things up a bit and make it more interesting but the game still sold poorly in Japan , showing
that people don't care that much that stuff in Sakura Wars games.

Now having said there is imo a more serious problem with this change and it has nothing to do with the quality of the gameplay itself.
Whether you liked the SRPG combat or not it definitely gave you this feeling of cooperation because you could give commands to all the members of your team
in battle and it felt like you were indeed the Captain of a team that worked together to defeat the enemy.
In this one you only can switch between 2-3 characters depending on the stage so it's pretty limiting in that regard resulting in the game loosing the feeling the previous games had.

IMO as fan of the series that's the real problem and not the action itself.I think that's the most significant part they need to work on for the sequel (if we ever get one).
There are still many ways they can do to achieve this, I've thought some of them myself but I would be happy to hear other fans suggestion on how to improve that.

Ailanthium

Oct 27, 2017
Slightly spoilery question that will determine the fate of the universe as we know it:

Is Sumire dateable?

psychedelic

Oct 30, 2017
I enjoy good VNs and love the Gravity Rush soundtrack, and this looks visually stunning, so I think I'll have to check it out.

Skulldead

Oct 27, 2017
I would like that game, but the fact they strip out every RPG element make me a little worrie.... like a lot.

OP
OP
Eien1no1Yami

Eien1no1Yami

Oct 30, 2017
I would like that game, but the fact they strip out every RPG element make me a little worrie.... like a lot.

Well it pretty much boils down to what are your preferences.
This game is a VN/3D Adventure game first and foremost and the action segments are more of an afterthought, really small in size and very easy that their
purpose is to push the story forward in a more flashy way rather than give the player a challenge or have any kind of depth gameplay-wise.

Viale

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Very early in but I'm enjoying it. Definitely some jank, but nothing that bad yet. Also, I'm a little surprised how much Sakura is pushed lmao. I like her though, so it works out.