• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
reviews went out today. this thread is kinda rushed, so I'll be adding more as I go

80 average on Metacritic and Open Critic

Sakuna: Of Rice and Ruin

Sakuna: Of Rice and Ruin combines side-scrolling action with deep crafting and farming simulation. Players take on the role of Sakuna, a spoiled harvest goddess banished to a dangerous island with a group of outcast humans. As she explores the beautiful, forbidding environments of the island...
opencritic.com

Sakuna: Of Rice and Ruin Critic Reviews

Sakuna: Of Rice and Ruin has been reviewed by 71 critics and currently has a 'Strong' rating. Read and browse them all to learn what the top critics in the video game industry are saying.

Switch
www.nintendo.com

Sakuna: Of Rice and Ruin for Nintendo Switch - Nintendo Official Site

Buy Sakuna: Of Rice and Ruin and shop other great Nintendo products online at the official My Nintendo Store.

PC

PS4

Sakuna: Of Rice and Ruin - Digital Deluxe Edition

Sakuna Of Rice and Ruin Digital Deluxe Edition Contents ●Sakuna Of Rice and Ruin game ●Digital soundtrack with 42 tracks ●4 Exclusive PS4™ Themes ●PSN Avatar Set with 9 avatars Spoiled harvest goddess Sakuna finds herself banished from her opulent celestial home to an island overrun with...

Hey Poor Player - 4/5
Sakuna: Of Rice and Ruin isn't perfect, but the good more than outweighs the bad here. It's just frustrating for me personally, cause there were so many things about the game that could have translated to a perfect experience. There's just too many missteps for that. Thankfully, what's here is still very much worth the price of admission. If you want a game you can sink hours and hours into while enjoying a meandering and surprising story, you have to check this one out.

The Escapist - 8
Sakuna: Of Rice and Ruin is ultimately a charming and fun adventure. The farming mechanics could have been explained more explicitly, but once everything clicks, you come to appreciate how well both the farming simulation and sidescrolling action adventure aspects complement each other. Sakuna starts off as a spoiled goddess with no concern for anyone but herself. But as she learns the value of hard work through harvesting rice and bonds with her group of outcast humans, she truly grows into a heroine fit to conquer the Isle of Demons.

Game Informer - 7.5
Sakuna: Of Rice and Ruin is full of highs and lows. From one moment to the next, it can be a lot of fun. Farming and fighting are each entertaining independently, but the systems supporting those central concepts feel unrefined. Combat is cool, but the pacing interrupts its momentum. The rice-based progression is interesting, but the story and characters are not. All of these trade-offs prevent Sakuna: Of Rice and Ruin from delivering its full bounty, though you can still reap the benefits of its novel combination of ideas.

Nintendo World Report - 9
As we come to the end of 2020 (thank god), any gamer's thoughts turn to their Game of the Year contenders. While it's going to be very difficult, if not impossible, to knock Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 1+2 off the throne, Sakuna: Of Rice & Ruin, is, at least, a close second (Tony Hawk also isn't on Switch). When I first heard of this game, it looked like a lovely combination of Muramasa: The Demon Blade and Harvest Moon. As it turns out, that's not too far from the truth, and let me tell you--it works.

RPG Fan - 85
In the end, Sakuna left me aglow with a warm nostalgia reminiscent of PlayStation 2 favourites like Okami, Odin Sphere, or Dark Cloud. Sakuna is a solid title with a lot of fun to be had. It has ambition, charm, and a whole myriad of interlocking systems to dive into. Despite some tedium in the early game and a dearth of content in the late game, the overall package is strong. The rhythm of the gameplay loop never loses its ability to calm and easily leads to a state of video game zen. One part beat 'em up RPG and one part farming sim, Sakuna truly excels in how well it blends these two genres. As far as I am concerned, Sakuna: Of Rice and Ruin is worth playing not just for those interested in either genre, but for people who want a taste of what indie titles can be.

RPG Site - 6
I jive a lot of what Sakuna: Of Rice and Ruin sets out to achieve conceptually as it juggles between tight fast-paced action RPG combat and thorough rice farming mechanics. Edelweiss unfortunately fumbles on key areas to an otherwise charming title. Platforming is a hassle most of the time, especially in later areas. Every system feels a step too steep into resource micromanagement, and it made me feel as if I was always playing on a tight schedule rather than being able to progress at my leisure. I wish I loved this game more, because there is a lot of heart, but sadly I came away merely lukewarm from the experience.

Dual Shockers - 7.5
Still, this is absolutely a title worth supporting. I respect that Sakuna: Of Rice and Ruin was made, and can appreciate how much of a dedicated passion project this is. If any of this sounds like it's up your alley, I strongly urge you to check it out. There's certainly nothing else quite like it in this genre combination, that's for sure, and hopefully you'll get more out of it than I did.

The Guardian - 4/5
Sakuna is more than the sum of its parts. Individually each element is just a bit lacking: the exploration is limited, the pacing a little tedious, the combat doesn't quite have the depth of a true action-brawler and even the farming proves repetitive. But just as sunlight, fertiliser, water and toil together produce a bountiful harvest, all of this game's elements come together to make something hearty and unexpected.

Siliconera - 7
Sakuna: Of Rice and Ruin
is a game that grows on you. People accustomed to farming simulations like Story of Seasons or even Rune Factory will find themselves forced to suddenly pay way more attention to the process of growing crops than before, then be patient since it will be in-game years before you "get good" at growing crops. Folks coming in because the combat seems satisfying will have to understand this is a game where constantly revisiting areas and keeping up with farming will be necessary to make any sort of significant progress. And everyone will have to deal with the fact that the lighting system and fonts will sometimes make you strain your eyes as you try to get things done. It definitely builds into something enjoyable, but it takes its time getting there and makes you work for it.

Gamekult - 5/10

Switch up - 88

Switch Watch - 9

Last edited:

purseowner

From the mirror universe
Oct 25, 2017
UK
So many top-tier games out I was going to wait for a sale on this one, but reconsidering that now.

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK
This has been a year of farming sim-y elements in unexpected perspectives, which has been cool because I don't gravitate to simulation games. Spiritfarer, Summer In Mara, and now this.

9-Volt

Oct 27, 2017
2D platforming segments looks a little unsatisfying. They look nothing like Muramasa or Senran Kagura. Though I wish it were something like Senran, which was basically a 3D ninja version of Streets of Rage.

Nintendo reached out multiple times for a Switch port
OP
OP
ILikeFeet

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I didn't intend to make this thread, I actually was gonna make a thread about how it came to Switch

According to XSEED, which is publishing Sakuna in North America, the platforms it would appear on changed after Nintendo expressed an interest in Edelweiss' game. Ever since the Switch version's announcement, most of Sakuna's exposure to the public has been at presentations like the company's Nintendo Directs and Treehouse Lives, which has driven more pre-orders on the platform.

www.siliconera.com

Sakuna: Of Rice and Ruin Pre-Ordered Twice as Many Times on Switch

A Switch version of Sakuna went into development after other platforms, but it was pre-ordered twice as many times on it.

kodax_shc

Oct 27, 2017
Southern California
Definitely been interested in this title but wanted to wait for reviews. Reception seems mixed. I think I am going to hold off for a little bit and grab later. xseed titles usually drop in price before too long.

Arta

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

"Is this game rice and easy, or does it... go against the grain?

I had to take a break after that opening line.

Arta

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Definitely been interested in this title but wanted to wait for reviews. Reception seems mixed. I think I am going to hold off for a little bit and grab later. xseed titles usually drop in price before too long.
Do you think there will be a price drop before Christmas?

Mentok

Oct 27, 2017
Got my physical pre-order a while ago after hearing it's combat being compared to Muramasa, with Rune Factory-like farming elements. I'm glad I did too, because this is probably going to be one of those low physicals, where once it's gone it'll be hard to get another copy. The reviews have me eager to play it!

Dice

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Looks lovely. I think it might be a nice comfort food kinda game.

(Thanks for posting the RPGFan review Ilikefeet!)

Last edited:

Mudo

Oct 25, 2017
Tennessee
I forgot this was out so soon!! I love farming games and action RPG so this is a match made in heaven. And it looks so stunning :))

I'm thinking of getting it on PS4 - will it be out at midnight or sometime tomorrow?

Leeway

Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver, BC
I'm so looking forward to this! Honestly one of my most anticipated games this year. Next gen consoles be damned.

The fact that two people were able to pull off something that looks this polished is amazing. I can forgive some of the criticisms for repeated locations/enemies because I know how much work that stuff takes. If the loop is compelling I'll be all the way in.

I forgot this was out so soon!! I love farming games and action RPG so this is a match made in heaven. And it looks so stunning :))

I'm thinking of getting it on PS4 - will it be out at midnight or sometime tomorrow?
I believe it unlocks tonight on psn 12am EST/ 9pm PST

Hero

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I was already really interested in this game and have been for a while - but knowing that only two people developed the game makes me wanna support them day 1. What a crazy accomplishment.

Cant wait to try this out.

I had this pre-ordered since summer and didn't know it was only made by two developers as well. That's insane.

Mudo

Oct 25, 2017
Tennessee
I'm so looking forward to this! Honestly one of my most anticipated games this year. Next gen consoles be damned.

The fact that two people were able to pull off something that looks this polished is amazing. I can forgive some of the criticisms for repeated locations/enemies because I know how much work that stuff takes. If the loop is compelling I'll be all the way in.

I believe it unlocks tonight on psn 12am EST/ 9pm PST

My Series X may take a week to be delivered so this will be perfect while waiting to play Yakuza and AC Valhalla.

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Thanks for featuring my review for the Guardian. It was a pleasure to play through this one.

Treestump

Mar 28, 2018
I've been interested in this since the first E3 showing a few years back and it looks like a fun time. I ordered the CE over the summer and it should arrive tomorrow. Congrats to the devs and I hope it does well for them.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I've been utterly charmed by this game since it was first shown, really excited to dig into this one.

Ishaan

Oct 27, 2017
Oh so it's Nintendo's fault that I couldn't play this in English on PC until now. I was so hyped when I saw the original trailer from Comiket years ago.

No, it's because they've spent five years polishing the game. Our full interview with the devs is going up tomorrow, where they get into their process.

Faiyaz

Nov 30, 2017
Bangladesh
Game looks really, really beautiful. And the reviews look pretty solid as well. Definitely interested in this one.

Oh so it's Nintendo's fault that I couldn't play this in English on PC until now. I was so hyped when I saw the original trailer from Comiket years ago.

How on earth did you come to this conclusion from that article?

chrominance

Sky Van Gogh
Oct 25, 2017
Secretly excited for this one. Coming right as the avalanche of next-gen stuff hits isn't going to do the game any favours, but the Switch positioning might. Glad to see the reviews are decent, it sounds like this game has flaws but they seem like ones I won't mind.

Dec 27, 2019
Seattle
Way too many games for me to give this a try this week/month. But it's been on my list for a couple years now. Glad it seems to be pretty solid.

RyougaSaotome

Oct 25, 2017
Been waiting for this ever since it was announced at a comiket waaaay back in the day, before it got picked up by a major publisher.

Vareon

Oct 25, 2017
The highs and lows seems expected, definitely picking this up. Congrats to the developers!

texhnolyze

Shinra Employee
Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
I've been looking forward to this one for years. It's finally (almost) here, only 13 hours to go to unlock on Steam.

bxsonic

Oct 30, 2017
Looks pretty fun. Amazing to know that it was made by only 2 people. Might get it once I'm done with Pikmin 3.

Buckle

Oct 27, 2017
Farmin and fightin.

Best combo in gaming. Sets off the pleasure center of my brain.

mugwhump

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
So when's the eShop release? If it's tonight I might get that instead of steam.

Merc_

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
I'm happy it seems to have turned out pretty good. I'm looking forward to my copy arriving tomorrow.

Phil32

Oct 28, 2017
I have an interest in this game, and seeing the positive reviews isn't helping! I'll certainly get it sometime down the line. It would have been an easy purchase had I still had the Best Buy GCU, but it ended last month. :/ So we're being more selective with what we buy.

Chaos2Frozen

Nov 3, 2017
I feel super bad for this game, it's coming out in the middle of a bloody warzone.

EDIT: I guess it's banking on Switch players having nothing else to play?

squall23

Oct 25, 2017
No, it's because they've spent five years polishing the game. Our full interview with the devs is going up tomorrow, where they get into their process.
Are you implying the game is different from the original Comiket version? Because the trailers don't show it.
Game looks really, really beautiful. And the reviews look pretty solid as well. Definitely interested in this one.

How on earth did you come to this conclusion from that article?
Because IIRC, the original English announcement didn't mention a Switch version.

Faiyaz

Nov 30, 2017
Bangladesh
Are you implying the game is different from the original Comiket version? Because the trailers don't show it.

Because IIRC, the original English announcement didn't mention a Switch version.

But why is it "Nintendo's fault" that they wanted to get a good game on their system? Did they force the developers to delay the release?