• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 28461

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Look, okay, since it runs similarly as on PS3 and there are Switch games that run even worse, this looks amazing. Okay. I give up. I will purchase this thing tomorrow and marvel at its performance.
Look buddy, all Switch games are beautiful! Keep in mind that it is a tablet, so we have to embrace these ports with open wallets and no criticism. Personally, I think this might beat out Bloodborne for the most beautiful game of this Gen and I'm sure the minor, barely noticeable framerate drops will never happen after the day one patch.

OP
OP
Plum

Plum

May 31, 2018
Look buddy, all Switch games are beautiful! Keep in mind that it is a tablet, so we have to embrace these ports with open wallets and no criticism. Personally, I think this might beat out Bloodborne for the most beautiful game of this Gen and I'm sure the minor, barely noticeable framerate drops will never happen after the day one patch.

Hey, no need for the snark about my day one patch comments. Really uncalled for.

Kris1977

Nov 25, 2017
This game would benefit from a framerate cap. Fluctuating from 30 to 60 and everything in between is just ridiculous these days.

Deleted member 28461

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
User banned (1 day): trolling and derailing over a series of posts
How badass of you. Your crusade against 'irrational fanboys' who put disclaimers about day one patches shall march on for another day.
Alright. I don't know you or give a shit about you, and at no point did I call anyone an irrational fanboy. You are not that important. If I wanted to address you, I would've quoted you.

Also, this port looks like ass but I have no pity for anyone duped into buying it.

Laserbeam

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
Looks fine to me for what is probably a real quick port. I also don't remember it being a looker back then either, but I could be wrong.

I might pick it up somewhere down the line when I'm not so busy cause some open world fun on my Switch would be nice.

OP
OP
Plum

Plum

May 31, 2018
Alright. I don't know you or give a shit about you, and at no point did I call anyone an irrational fanboy. You are not that important. If I wanted to address you, I would've quoted you.

But you did quote me:

barely noticeable framerate drops will never happen after the day one patch.

And that post was literally you going "I'm going to make a snarky post about the irrational fanboys who think every Switch game is beautiful and don't want people to criticise the ports!" So, yeah, miss me with that "I didn't say exactly what I said" shit.

This game would benefit from a framerate cap. Fluctuating from 30 to 60 and everything in between is just ridiculous these days.

Yeah, if the day-one patch doesn't fix it then that will be a major annoyance. I much prefer 30fps with drops to a framerate that varies constantly between 15 and 60.

Deleted member 28461

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
But you did quote me:

And that post was literally you going "I'm going to make a snarky post about the irrational fanboys who think every Switch game is beautiful and don't want people to criticise the ports!" So, yeah, miss me with that "I didn't say exactly what I said" shit.
Hahahahahahaha.

Fuck me, that's funny. I'm sorry you're not happy with the reactions to this port. I can tell it means a lot to you.

OP
OP
Plum

Plum

May 31, 2018
Hahahahahahaha.

Fuck me, that's funny. I'm sorry you're not happy with the reactions to this port. I can tell it means a lot to you.

I think the port looks disappointingly bad but even if I didn't that shouldn't have any bearing on me calling out ridiculous snarky posts that actively harm good discussion.

Oct 27, 2017

Deleted member 28461

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I can tell this a very touchy subject, so I'll change my impressions:

Wow, seriously great port. Really stoked to buy this game. Shoutouts to Mark.

Alastor3

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Man that looks rough, I mean it's a damn xbox 360/PS3 game yet it looks like crap and the framerate is certainly not stable.

I know it's handheld but that's one terrible port.
That might not be the port fault, maybe it's just the game that is really not compatible with the switch hardware

Chackan

Oct 31, 2017
Huh, looks ok to me.

Not amazing, but..ok lol

Looks exactly what I was expecting from a open-world GTA clone from last gen :S

Phil32

Oct 28, 2017
That might not be the port fault, maybe it's just the game that is really not compatible with the switch hardware

Trying to remember (though a smart person--that is not me--would just look this info up instead of asking), but I thought SR3 was an Unreal Engine 3 game, and the Switch supports just UE4 unless it's custom-tailored like Mortal Kombat 11 was. I could be totally wrong here, though. If I'm not though, then might be a good reason why the port quality is less than stellar.

Sagadego17

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Trying to remember (though a smart person--that is not me--would just look this info up instead of asking), but I thought SR3 was an Unreal Engine 3 game, and the Switch supports just UE4 unless it's custom-tailored like Mortal Kombat 11 was. I could be totally wrong here, though. If I'm not though, then might be a good reason why the port quality is less than stellar.
wiki says its Core Technology Group engine https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saints_Row:_The_Third

Alastor3

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
It's the reason why rocket league had problem at the beginning since it was something like unreal 3.5

HeRinger

Oct 28, 2017
Graphics and performance aside, is the game any good? Not in the "it's so funny and over the top" way, but are the gameplay, controls, quests, etc, fun and well done?

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
That's looking pretty rough for a port of such an old title. Cannot imagine it's worth it at that price point either.

DCBA

Dec 12, 2018
Graphics and performance aside, is the game any good? Not in the "it's so funny and over the top" way, but are the gameplay, controls, quests, etc, fun and well done?

It's the "it's so funny and over the top" way

Quest design was already outdated last gen
Controls are ok, a bit clunky definitely not great, driving is pretty bad.
Gameplay is sometimes fun, sometimes not so much.

Saints row 4 is regularly on sale on psn/xbl for 5€$, would get that version if you have one of those console

Deleted member 5028

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Why be an asshole?

Wombat_Lover

Banned
Jan 20, 2019
Heads up. There will be a day 1 patch that fixes performace.

TaySan

SayTan
Dec 10, 2018
Tulsa, Oklahoma
It's a step down from SR2. A bit over the top for my tastes. Missions are hit and miss. If you want over the top I would recommend SR4 instead if you have a PC/ last gen console.

Feb 8, 2018
you know what they need to do? Port it to PS5 with these exact visuals in 60fps and go batshit crazy with destructible enviorments and also vehicle damage and physics in general. I who have never completed SR:The tird and any SR really :( would give it a try

Shark

Oct 28, 2017
Raleigh, NC
It's hard to recommend if you don't like the tone/humor. It's a huge part of what makes the game stand out. I think it is better than the sequel for sure.

Feb 8, 2018
1.This is ERA ! if you ask if a game is good, you'll most likely get a reply that involves gameplay rating or opinion without having to ask for it specifically or at least i'd hope that to be the case.
2. I have only played half the game on PS3 but from what I played it wasn't too bad at what it wants to be but frankly I can't remember too much about it (enterable buildings and "in the air" action can't be bad for urban Open worlds)
3. I know it's not what you're asking for but in this opportunity i'd like to say that any game that tries hard to be funny will likely fail at it and even if the showbusiness is involved in the developement it'll be hit or miss. Quality over quantity.

Last edited:

Symphony

Oct 27, 2017
Eh, I was already on the fence because of the whole THQ Nordic situation but this looks pretty rough so I definitely will give it a pass now.

Yes, Saints Row The Third was a fantastic game specifically because they nailed the humour, it never goes too far (unlike IV which just goes way OTT). Side missions are kinda repetitive but the main storyline is so enjoyable (and pretty long) that you never really notice, the gameplay is perfectly fine but nothing out of the ordinary. Co-Op also works really well if you can get someone else to start the game along with you.

Don't bother with Saints Row IV, one could write an essay on the poor design decisions in that game, the core mechanics actively encourage you not to interact with the world which is where so much of the fun came from in SR3.

ShinobiBk

One Winged Slayer
Dec 28, 2017
Dragon's Dogma is another great Switch port. 1080p in Docked and near-720p/720p in Handheld with a mostly consistent 30fps throughout and nearly all of the graphical upgrades found in the higher-specced versions. Compared it to the 720p 20-30fps (with an emphasis on 20) of the PS3/360 it's quite amazing; the only bad aspect of it is the increased pop-in but that hasn't been too bad from what I've played.

AC3 and SR3 are two very different games in almost every way so I wouldn't say they're substitutes for one another. If you want a GTA-style open world game on Switch you pretty much have to go with SR3 or else just wait for when/if someone else arrives.

Believe me I know the difference. I just want a fun and big single player open world experience to take on the go for the end of May until Bloodstained and Mario Maker 2 arrive.
Dragon's Dogma is another one I'm looking at. I very nearly pulled the trigger this past weekend but went with Dark Souls as it was too good to pass up on sale

NiallGGlynn

Apr 16, 2019
I'll buy this when the price goes down, loved this game on the 360 but the final mission glitched so I could never finish the damn thing

OP
OP
Plum

Plum

May 31, 2018
Believe me I know the difference. I just want a fun and big single player open world experience to take on the go for the end of May until Bloodstained and Mario Maker 2 arrive.
Dragon's Dogma is another one I'm looking at. I very nearly pulled the trigger this past weekend but went with Dark Souls as it was too good to pass up on sale

Dragon's Dogma is really good so far (from what I've played) and it runs just as well. I'd definitely recommend it over AC3 (SR3 is a different thing altogether), especially if you don't have prior experience with the Assassin's Creed series (because a lot of AC3's story relies on the games before it).