• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
It surprises me people have so much affinity with the Saints Row characters and this is the cause of so much upset.

stupei

Oct 26, 2017
The reaction to this gameplay reveal frequently coming across as "I'm so glad you finally let us know this Saints Row game will be like a Saints Row game, you should have told us that it was like Saints Row when you announced it as Saints Row" makes me feel like I am losing my mind.

Addleburg

The Fallen
Nov 16, 2017
Combat seems to lack punch like Agents of Mayhem, shooting shit doesn't feel like shooting at all.

I played through - and reasonably enjoyed - Agents of Mayhem, but I don't remember anything about its gameplay seeming to pack a punch.

It surprises me people have so much affinity with the Saints Row characters and this is the cause of so much upset.

Ditto. I mean, every game will hit with people differently, but I've played through all SRs except Gat Out of Hell, and while I generally enjoy the characters I have no strong opinion one way or another about them returning or not returning. But then again, that other thread has people referencing narrative beats from SR2 that I remember fuck-all about, so clearly it resonated with some people more than it ever did with me.

The appeal of SR has always been 85% gameplay, 10% humor, 5% character for me.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
The reaction to this gameplay reveal frequently coming across as "I'm so glad you finally let us know this Saints Row game will be like a Saints Row game, you should have told us that it was like Saints Row when you announced it as Saints Row" makes me feel like I am losing my mind.
They had spent so much time concern trolling and speculating that the information on display just got outright ignored while gamers argued that a game that never once attempted to portray gang culture accurately wasn't "gangster" enough for them. That penny arcade comic posted in another thread was so accurate it had me dying.

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Game looks way better in motion than the screens we saw earlier. I'm sold. 110% innnnn

sappyday

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I played through - and reasonably enjoyed - Agents of Mayhem, but I don't remember anything about its gameplay seeming to pack a punch.

Ditto. I mean, every game will hit with people differently, but I've played through all SRs except Gat Out of Hell, and while I generally enjoy the characters I have no strong opinion one way or another about them returning or not returning. But then again, that other thread has people referencing narrative beats from SR2 that I remember fuck-all about, so clearly it resonated with some people more than it ever did with me.

The appeal of SR has always been 85% gameplay, 10% humor, 5% character for me.
Gat was a fun character who was voiced by Daniel Dae Kim (Jin from Lost) so he had a strong presence to the point where he had a DLC focused on him

kevinking94

Oct 28, 2017
I'm definitely getting this game, it looks like so much fun! Only slight problem I hav is that the rolling animation seems kinda stiff to me? Maybe Im trippin lol but the game isnt out yet so I aint too worried! Diggin the art direction as well.

Oct 27, 2017
I guess it looks fine for what it is.

But what it is still does not interest me. I wanted something inbetween SR3 and SR4, with the old gang, and this ain't it. But good luck to Volition.

ShinUltramanJ

Oct 27, 2017
Gameplay trailer looked great. Love the art in the locations as well.
This is how you sell me on the game - not a long cinematic movie. That's worthless to me.

Addleburg

The Fallen
Nov 16, 2017
Gat was a fun character who was voiced by Daniel Dae Kim (Jin from Lost) so he had a strong presence to the point where he had a DLC focused on him

I had only recently found he was voiced by Daniel Dae Kim when someone posted a tweet confirming he hadn't been asked to do any VO for the new one.

I think it's understandable for people to resonate deeply with the characters - it just wasn't something I had ever considered would be the case with this particular series since so little of that stuff resonated with me. When I think of the world of SR or GTA (the latter of which being a series I've generally loved more than SR), the characters have always felt largely incidental to me - not because I'm not aware that the creators put a lot of time into the dialogue and script (especially R*), but rather because I haven't found any of their stories to be so well written that they leave an indelible mark.

I've beaten each GTA game from 3 onwards at least a couple of times - and in some cases, 3, 4, or 5 times - and there's not a character that comes to mind from any of them whose death or failure to return in a new entry were it rebooted would bother me. When it comes to video games in general, there are just exceptionally few characters that I've found have done that to me.

OP
OP
Loudninja

Loudninja

Oct 27, 2017
Sounds like you can customize your crew as well,their clothes and such I imagine.

Express yourself and unleash your inner Saint, with the most advanced suite of customization tools yet seen in an open-world game – make your character, your car and your crew your own.

Look at this we already got a silly ass weapon with the Christmas light bat
www.ign.com

Saints Row: Here's What Comes in Each Edition - IGN

Everything you need to know about Saints Row, including what comes in each edition, what preorder bonuses to expect, and where to preorder it.

Son of Sparda

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
They should've showed this at Gamescom instead of that bad CG trailer.

This actually looks like the type of crazy stuff I love in Saints Row. Definitely interested to see more and try it out.

firehawk12

Oct 25, 2017
I don't know if I speak for anyone else, but the gameplay of the original SR games was average at best. It was the stupid writing, including the stupid characters, that made the series memorable and worth playing. lol

Zips

Oct 25, 2017
Looks like a visually updated Saints Row 2/3 hybrid. Looks fine to me. Just hope there's enough to do in the map since it seems like a lot of it will be outside of the big city area. Will get it later on PC.

gogosox82

Oct 25, 2017
That shooting didn't look any better than SR 3-4. That is concerning since the shooting in those games was janky as fuck. That and artstyle and characters aren't really doing anything for me. Feeling pretty meh about this tbh.

OP
OP
Loudninja

Loudninja

Oct 27, 2017
I find building and organization from the ground up as a plotline pretty damn interesting , they have no real connections or idea what they are doing yet.

Lost Lemurian

Nov 30, 2019
I don't know if I speak for anyone else, but the gameplay of the original SR games was average at best. It was the stupid writing, including the stupid characters, that made the series memorable and worth playing. lol
Eh, people might call me crazy, but I think even SR1 controls better than literally any Rockstar game, if we're talking about the actual act of holding the controller and playing. Sure, the entire Saints Row series is kinda janky, but they feel good to play, even compared to other open world games that are technically more polished.

Net_Wrecker

Oct 25, 2017
Eh, people might call me crazy, but I think even SR1 controls better than literally any Rockstar game, if we're talking about the actual act of holding the controller and playing. Sure, the entire Saints Row series is kinda janky, but they feel good to play, even compared to other open world games that are technically more polished.

I don't think you're crazy- my whole reason for being excited for Saints Row 1 way back when was "finally a GTA game with controls by a dev from Earth." The free aim and strafe friendly control setup was a godsend after years of the GTA3 sequels and spin-offs. Even small things like the ease of drive-bys and tossing explosives was a big deal at the time.

The way all of that carried over into Saints Row 2 on top of all the customization, open world discovery, progression, and campaign co-op going against GTA4's technically impressive but hugely regressed game design is why I hold SR2 in such high regard.

Deleted member 32005

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 8, 2017
that trailer has basically no gameplay. i skipped around both vidoes in the OP and sasw maybe 30 seconds of gameplay?

OP
OP
Loudninja

Loudninja

Oct 27, 2017
Looks like a visually updated Saints Row 2/3 hybrid. Looks fine to me. Just hope there's enough to do in the map since it seems like a lot of it will be outside of the big city area. Will get it later on PC.
Seems like you got alot to do
www.resetera.com

Saints Row PS4/PS5/Xbox One/Series/Epic Everything You Need to Know

A good amount info that's getting lost or jumble up, if this thread is not wanted nor needed a mod can close Story Customization Create the Boss of your dreams, with the most extensive character customization suite ever seen in the series, then complete the look with incredible options...

flaxknuckles

Oct 25, 2017
I agree and I have recently played both Saints Row 1 and GTA V.

Zips

Oct 25, 2017
Seems like you got alot to do
www.resetera.com

Saints Row PS4/PS5/Xbox One/Series/Epic Everything You Need to Know

A good amount info that's getting lost or jumble up, if this thread is not wanted nor needed a mod can close Story Customization Create the Boss of your dreams, with the most extensive character customization suite ever seen in the series, then complete the look with incredible options...
Well that's good to see. I'm definitely looking more forward to this one seeing some of that.

The Gold Hawk

Jan 30, 2019
Yorkshire
I agree and I have recently played both Saints Row 1 and GTA V.
Same. I can't quite place why. I feel that the vehicles drive as if they have a strained relationship with the ground. Like it doesn't connect right. But in SR 1 that feels intentionally arcadey and works for the overall design.

In GTA V it feels way more floaty. Maybe that's the larger world design so it's more frequently noticable, but in both games I can be driving down a road, hit a wall and spin a little or bounce and keep going. In SR 1 it feels fine in GTA V it looks and feels off.

But I also found the driving in GTAIV to be more enjoyable than V so maybe don't trust my opinion

roguesquirrel

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
Still don't like the factory made Gen Z vibe these characters are oozing with, that made Watch Dogs 2 suffer all the same. Are there any legacy Saints Row characters coming back in this game?
Its kind of funny I keep seeing this specific comparison when the big complaint when WD2 was first revealed was the new characters had too much Saints Row vibes

firehawk12

Oct 25, 2017
Oh in that respect I agree. Hell, I'd rather play SR3 again than GTA5 or RDR2. SR4 is it's own thing where they just decided to fuck it and you don't even need cars anymore. lol

It's just that the characters and "story" are the real highlight for me, not the actual gameplay. It's weird because they made that game after Saints Row and I don't think anyone remembers anything about it.

OP
OP
Loudninja

Loudninja

Oct 27, 2017
Oh in that respect I agree. Hell, I'd rather play SR3 again than GTA5 or RDR2. SR4 is it's own thing where they just decided to fuck it and you don't even need cars anymore. lol

It's just that the characters and "story" are the real highlight for me, not the actual gameplay. It's weird because they made that game after Saints Row and I don't think anyone remembers anything about it.
I think the driving its done well in GTA5 it just does not control to tell, I am used to it for sure not but they really need to sort that out.

Dolce

Oct 25, 2017
GTAV driving is built around being able to do easy maneuvers so you can do crazy action movie stuff.

2zripki9wwj71.jpg

Looks really rough graphically imo
It's doug dimmadome!

OmegaDL50

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Philadelphia, PA
Now, I'm more interested. Maybe too much talkative for my taste but whatever. And I hope that the garage can still hold more than two or three cars, I've always hated that in GTA.

It's still sad that the game is EGS exclusive, but I might buy it on PS4 if it is interesting enough. Who knows?

In Saints Row 3 and 4, you can have one of every single car in the game with the same customization and colors you changed on them. There is no space limitations in the amount of vehicles you can store in your garage in the previous Saints Row games and I doubt they changed this.

TheBaldwin

Feb 25, 2018
Still don't like the factory made Gen Z vibe these characters are oozing with, that made Watch Dogs 2 suffer all the same. Are there any legacy Saints Row characters coming back in this game?

Its kind of funny I keep seeing this specific comparison when the big complaint when WD2 was first revealed was the new characters had too much Saints Row vibes

Gen Z vibes is the complete opposite of these characters and the vibe of the game.

If they were trying to capture a 'Gen Z' type vibe they completely missed the mark, this just screams 'This is what millennials thing Gen Z would like' which has a very 'how do you do fellow kids' approach

These characters, and ESPCIALLY watch dogs 2, are not at all what my generation would find fashionable or cool, like at all. The cast of this new saints row look like they've walked off an old LMFAO music video shoot, and the Watch dog 2 character look like some weird techni colour punk boy band. Two types of styles and music which are not popular at all nowadays haha.

Dolce

Oct 25, 2017
These characters, and ESPCIALLY watch dogs 2, are not at all what my generation would find fashionable or cool, like at all. The cast of this new saints row look like they've walked off an old LMFAO music video shoot, and the Watch dog 2 character look like some weird techni colour punk boy band. Two types of styles and music which are not popular at all nowadays haha.

I dunno, I'd say there's a lot of elements of LMFAOs pop-electronic you can find in a lot of music today. And while that specific style of boy band isn't as popular, boy bands are probably as popular as they've been in the West since One Direction, with the explosion of Kpop.

KeRaSh

I left my heart on Atropos
Oct 26, 2017
I wish Volition would go back to making games that have insane environmental destruction physics...

Oct 27, 2017
Seems like layered clothing is back:
WEB_Image_Saints_Row_Criminal_Customs_Edition_PS5__73166535-1c83-459d-a968-3cf7bb2e9ef31533855312_plid_78993.Jpeg

From the image it sounds like you will be able to wear layers. In 3 and 4 you could only wear only wear set tops unlike 1 and 2.