• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Ravelle

Oct 31, 2017
People have talent and I have not: The Thread.

This is super rad though, love all these!

cj_iwakura

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Coral Springs, FL

I propose:
EYeDEyAWsAAsZIu

Zan

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Toei's the easy target, but I'm gonna go out on a limb and be blasphemous, and blame Naoko Takeuchi.

For the original 90's anime, Takeuchi was an overworked manga artist (which is no small thing), so she didn't have time to oversee what Toei was doing, and as a result Toei's artists were free to simplify her beautiful and meticulous artwork into a simpler streamlined style they were more comfortable with, allowing them to make the show faster/better/cheaper. And they also took huge liberties with the plot. Some people complain about "filler" in anime, but the Sailor Moon anime used Takeuchi's plot as a basic skeleton framework to hang a monster-of-the-week slice-of-life show on, episodic but with slow and steady character development. The Sailor Moon anime was more the creation of the animation team, not of Takeuchi (she was more like the inspiration for it). That's why the Doom Tree arc is so much better than the common perception of "filler", because the Sailor Moon anime is Schrodinger's Filler. It's either almost 100% filler, or it's almost 0% filler (and I prefer to think it's 0%).

Takeuchi's main leverage in negotiations is that she has absolute veto power over the series, and after 5 years on top in the 90's, she retired as an artist, and now had the time to oversee what Toei was doing, and her veto power is apparently what killed Sailor Moon for 20 years. She never liked how Toei adapted her artwork, and she never liked how Toei adapted her story. And if she doesn't like something, it gets shut down then and there. Which creates a chilling effect and spirals into deadlock, which is fine by Takeuchi because she's rich and she's perfectly fine with the show being dead/doesn't have a powerful drive to make more of it.

Which is why when Sailor Moon Crystal was finally greenlit, it featured artwork that was more in line with Takeuchi's manga artwork (to the detriment of the overworked animators), and story that was closer to the original manga. Because that's what Takeuchi wanted (for obvious reasons). Also, it recycles the old story and doesn't have any new story because Takeuchi only made 5 years worth of story before retiring, and she doesn't want anyone else making up new stories for her.

So yeah, Toei never put much money behind the show, but can you blame them for not wanting to spend a lot on Takeuchi's vanity project?

Has any other studio tried to get the rights to the IP, or has it been just locked to Toei? Because I do believe there can be a happy medium where both Takeuchi is satisfied and there's something for new fans to latch on to.

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil

twitter.com

Æon Flex on Twitter

“#Sailormoonredraw ✨”

twitter.com

Lu Nascimento on Twitter

“Morning warmup with #sailormoonredraw 😬”

twitter.com

Alan on Twitter

“I tried to replicate @junjiitofficial's style. #sailormoonredrawchallenge #SailorMoonchallenge #sailormoonredraw #fanart”

twitter.com

Dominic Ian Cabatit on Twitter

“I used to love Sailormoon as a kid! Now I love Tomie. Character development. 🤣 Notice me @junjiitofficial #junjiito #drawing #sailormoonredraw #tomie”

twitter.com

lanxe on Twitter

“sailor moon redraw but it's @junjiitofficial 's uzumaki manga series. #sailormoonredraw #artph”

Jotakori

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
This redraw meme is great!! Seemed fun, so I gave it a quick go, too. :D

17edfc7f904589b0cc60d4027e04e9a8.jpg

I'm pretty sure the last time I drew Sailor Moon was in elementary school. 💦

Nov 13, 2017
whats the context of the scene the original is from?
It's from the finale of Sailor Moon S.

At the time, Sailor Moon can only transform into Super Sailor Moon using an item called the Holy Grail. Sailor Saturn has been transformed into an evil being called Mistress 9. She demands the Grail in exchange for Saturn's life, but it's clearly a lie. Sailor Uranus and Neptune try to stop Sailor Moon from handing over the Grail – they want Super Sailor Moon to kill Mistress 9. But Sailor Moon is a pacifist and believes that she can still save Saturn and give up the grail. I believe this is when Mistress 9 reveals that she was deceiving her and they're all pretty much fucked.

Deleted member 52442

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 24, 2019
It's from the finale of Sailor Moon S.

At the time, Sailor Moon can only transform into Super Sailor Moon using an item called the Holy Grail. Sailor Saturn has been transformed into an evil being called Mistress 9. She demands the Grail in exchange for Saturn's life, but it's clearly a lie. Sailor Uranus and Neptune try to stop Sailor Moon from handing over the Grail – they want Super Sailor Moon to kill Mistress 9. But Sailor Moon is a pacifist and believes that she can still save Saturn and give up the grail. I believe this is when Mistress 9 reveals that she was deceiving her and they're all pretty much fucked.

damn

Cheerilee

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Has any other studio tried to get the rights to the IP, or has it been just locked to Toei? Because I do believe there can be a happy medium where both Takeuchi is satisfied and there's something for new fans to latch on to.
I doubt it. Sailor Moon is worth huge money, even when it's just resting on it's laurels, and corporations never like giving up their geese that lay golden eggs. Like, it pretty much took the death of Gainax for Hideaki Anno to get the rights to Evangelion. Sailor Moon anime is definitely locked to Toei, because they were a co-creator. The manga is locked to Takeuchi/Kodansha, while the anime and merchandise is locked to Takeuchi/Kodansha/Toei.

Plus, I don't think that Toei is the real problem here, or that Naoko Takeuchi working with some other company would solve Sailor Moon Crystal's problems.

Sailor Moon was basically a corporate creation. Sailor V wasn't so great that companies were knocking on Takeuchi's door to make an anime out of it, Toei had an available slot, so Toei and Kodansha teamed up to create a celebrity. Toei asked Kodansha "Who do you have?" and Kodansha responded "This Sailor V manga is very promising" and Bandai said "Okay, but make it a team show like Power Rangers." Takeuchi was overworked and overwhelmed, and she was young and didn't think it was her place to interrupt, so she greenlit more than she wanted to, and she let her managers and editors greenlight things. Takeuchi didn't create the Sailor Moon phenomenon, Toei mostly did. But Takeuchi got most of the credit for it, and got fame and fortune, which allowed her to retire happily and end Sailor Moon.

Sailor Moon Crystal was the anime that Takeuchi was responsible for, after she learned how to flex her muscles and get what she wants, and it really wasn't good. When Takeuchi's entire power is her ability to shut down things when they don't meet her standards. Yeah, it wasn't a big budget production, but good stuff can be made on the cheap when you've got a good vision for the series, and Sailor Moon Crystal didn't have that.

Studio Trigger (for example, I really liked Little Witch Academia) could throw bags of money at Toei for the right to throw even more bags of money at Sailor Moon, but why would they do that just for Sailor Moon Crystal season 4? Sailor Moon Crystal was about Takeuchi looking at one of the finest animes in the world, and thinking the way to make it better would be to make it more about Takeuchi. She didn't give Toei free reign to do what Toei does best, so why would she extend that right to Studio Trigger (for example)?

And then consider some of the names that I've mentioned and how much work they've put into their works. Akira Toriyama's work across Dragonball and DBZ dwarfs Sailor Moon. Toei wanted more DBZ, so Toriyama let them make Dragonball GT. After some time, they wanted more again, and Toriyama worked with Toei to make Dragonball Super. Hideaki Anno never stopped working, and when he got Evangelion back he made new material. These are people who look forward, not backward. Sailor Moon looks backwards because Takeuchi stopped working after her victory.

Remember, Takeuchi is a manga artist. If she wanted more Sailor Moon, she could step over to her desk and start creating it right now, for zero cost (yes, that's a lot of work, but she's also rich and can afford to hire assistants to basically do the entire thing for her). But she doesn't want it. Because she's retired, and she doesn't have that creator's drive to create anymore.

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil

twitter.com

Juionagaita on Twitter

“Usagi ✨🌙✨ #sailormoonredraw #SailorMoon #sailormoonredrawchallenge”

twitter.com

Miko on Twitter

“"Smashing!" -Sailor Thornberry I hope this brings joy to people xD #sailormoonredraw @sailormoon #sailormoonredrawchallenge”

twitter.com

Andrew D💜C on Twitter

“Getting in on this Sailor Moon Redraw #sailormoon #sailormoonredrawchallenge”

Damn this one is meta as fuck! Love that reference.

i mean have you seen this one ?

Do you even KNOW what this is referencing ? xD

Nisaba

Oct 28, 2017
Canada
I doubt it. Sailor Moon is worth huge money, even when it's just resting on it's laurels, and corporations never like giving up their geese that lay golden eggs. Like, it pretty much took the death of Gainax for Hideaki Anno to get the rights to Evangelion. Sailor Moon anime is definitely locked to Toei, because they were a co-creator. The manga is locked to Takeuchi/Kodansha, while the anime and merchandise is locked to Takeuchi/Kodansha/Toei.

Plus, I don't think that Toei is the real problem here, or that Naoko Takeuchi working with some other company would solve Sailor Moon Crystal's problems.

Sailor Moon was basically a corporate creation. Sailor V wasn't so great that companies were knocking on Takeuchi's door to make an anime out of it, Toei had an available slot, so Toei and Kodansha teamed up to create a celebrity. Toei asked Kodansha "Who do you have?" and Kodansha responded "This Sailor V manga is very promising" and Bandai said "Okay, but make it a team show like Power Rangers." Takeuchi was overworked and overwhelmed, and she was young and didn't think it was her place to interrupt, so she greenlit more than she wanted to, and she let her managers and editors greenlight things. Takeuchi didn't create the Sailor Moon phenomenon, Toei mostly did. But Takeuchi got most of the credit for it, and got fame and fortune, which allowed her to retire happily and end Sailor Moon.

Sailor Moon Crystal was the anime that Takeuchi was responsible for, after she learned how to flex her muscles and get what she wants, and it really wasn't good. When Takeuchi's entire power is her ability to shut down things when they don't meet her standards. Yeah, it wasn't a big budget production, but good stuff can be made on the cheap when you've got a good vision for the series, and Sailor Moon Crystal didn't have that.

Studio Trigger (for example, I really liked Little Witch Academia) could throw bags of money at Toei for the right to throw even more bags of money at Sailor Moon, but why would they do that just for Sailor Moon Crystal season 4? Sailor Moon Crystal was about Takeuchi looking at one of the finest animes in the world, and thinking the way to make it better would be to make it more about Takeuchi. She didn't give Toei free reign to do what Toei does best, so why would she extend that right to Studio Trigger (for example)?

And then consider some of the names that I've mentioned and how much work they've put into their works. Akira Toriyama's work across Dragonball and DBZ dwarfs Sailor Moon. Toei wanted more DBZ, so Toriyama let them make Dragonball GT. After some time, they wanted more again, and Toriyama worked with Toei to make Dragonball Super. Hideaki Anno never stopped working, and when he got Evangelion back he made new material. These are people who look forward, not backward. Sailor Moon looks backwards because Takeuchi stopped working after her victory.

Remember, Takeuchi is a manga artist. If she wanted more Sailor Moon, she could step over to her desk and start creating it right now, for zero cost (yes, that's a lot of work, but she's also rich and can afford to hire assistants to basically do the entire thing for her). But she doesn't want it. Because she's retired, and she doesn't have that creator's drive to create anymore.

I would say that Sailor Moon Crystal Season 3 was actually great and fixed most of the issues with the previous 2 seasons once the animation team was given more time and budget. The new 2D transformation sequences are really beautiful (thanks to Chiaki Kon) and the manga plot of the Infinity arc is given more room to breathe where we see light-hearted moments between the girls but no filler to bog things down.

A movie for the next arc is coming soon so we'll see how it goes but I wouldn't trash all of Crystal or fault Takeuchi entirely, it is ultimately her work and I do think it's nice that she got to see her story depicted in an artstyle more faithful to her own (it's a shame Crystal couldn't start out with the quality of S3).

XaviConcept

Art Director for Videogames
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Didn't this happen last year already -or at least a few months ago-? Why is this resurfacing a again all of the sudden and EVERYONE is doing it?

It did

However, now, global pandemic, etc, easier for things to go viral

Anyways, neat prompt. Whats really interesting to see is how 99% of these are STILL inferior to the original drawing, its REALLY good, masterful use of volume, anatomy and shape

The part you have to look out for is how they draw the heart in the choker, thats how you can really tell if the artist is truly advanced. LOOK at how well it contours the shape of the neck in the original, its masterful work! Most complex bit of the entire drawing.

EYTfBS-U4AAlP34

EYTfFKaUwAAVSxC

Even the really good ones, like the one below, completely fail on that one aspect, take a look at most of the heart shapes and theyre very flat and dont countour to the shape and direction of the neck at all

EYWoDXpXQAAzSL_

Pollen

Banned
Apr 25, 2020
Toei's the easy target, but I'm gonna go out on a limb and be blasphemous, and blame Naoko Takeuchi.

For the original 90's anime, Takeuchi was an overworked manga artist (which is no small thing), so she didn't have time to oversee what Toei was doing, and as a result Toei's artists were free to simplify her beautiful and meticulous artwork into a simpler streamlined style they were more comfortable with, allowing them to make the show faster/better/cheaper. And they also took huge liberties with the plot. Some people complain about "filler" in anime, but the Sailor Moon anime used Takeuchi's plot as a basic skeleton framework to hang a monster-of-the-week slice-of-life show on, episodic but with slow and steady character development. The Sailor Moon anime was more the creation of the animation team, not of Takeuchi (she was more like the inspiration for it). That's why the Doom Tree arc is so much better than the common perception of "filler", because the Sailor Moon anime is Schrodinger's Filler. It's either almost 100% filler, or it's almost 0% filler (and I prefer to think it's 0%).

Takeuchi's main leverage in negotiations is that she has absolute veto power over the series, and after 5 years on top in the 90's, she retired as an artist, and now had the time to oversee what Toei was doing, and her veto power is apparently what killed Sailor Moon for 20 years. She never liked how Toei adapted her artwork, and she never liked how Toei adapted her story. And if she doesn't like something, it gets shut down then and there. Which creates a chilling effect and spirals into deadlock, which is fine by Takeuchi because she's rich and she's perfectly fine with the show being dead/doesn't have a powerful drive to make more of it.

Which is why when Sailor Moon Crystal was finally greenlit, it featured artwork that was more in line with Takeuchi's manga artwork (to the detriment of the overworked animators), and story that was closer to the original manga. Because that's what Takeuchi wanted (for obvious reasons). Also, it recycles the old story and doesn't have any new story because Takeuchi only made 5 years worth of story before retiring, and she doesn't want anyone else making up new stories for her.

So yeah, Toei never put much money behind the show, but can you blame them for not wanting to spend a lot on Takeuchi's vanity project?
Wish this place had an upvote button.

Thank you for the information, this was a really well-thought out and informative post. Hopefully she eases restrictions over time. I think Sailor Moon could easily become a juggernaut again if given the proper care and if she ever allows the franchise to be given to more creators.

Nov 13, 2017

twitter.com

Juionagaita on Twitter

“Usagi ✨🌙✨ #sailormoonredraw #SailorMoon #sailormoonredrawchallenge”

twitter.com

Miko on Twitter

“"Smashing!" -Sailor Thornberry I hope this brings joy to people xD #sailormoonredraw @sailormoon #sailormoonredrawchallenge”

twitter.com

Andrew D💜C on Twitter

“Getting in on this Sailor Moon Redraw #sailormoon #sailormoonredrawchallenge”

i mean have you seen this one ?

Do you even KNOW what this is referencing ? xD

Saban Moon!

Nov 13, 2017
It did

However, now, global pandemic, etc, easier for things to go viral

Anyways, neat prompt. Whats really interesting to see is how 99% of these are STILL inferior to the original drawing, its REALLY good, masterful use of volume, anatomy and shape

The part you have to look out for is how they draw the heart in the choker, thats how you can really tell if the artist is truly advanced. LOOK at how well it contours the shape of the neck in the original, its masterful work! Most complex bit of the entire drawing.

EYTfBS-U4AAlP34

EYTfFKaUwAAVSxC

Even the really good ones, like the one below, completely fail on that one aspect, take a look at most of the heart shapes and theyre very flat and dont countour to the shape and direction of the neck at all

EYWoDXpXQAAzSL_
You nailed it. I notice that in every drawing. It separates the pros from the amateurs.