• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
It wasn't me who said it! Even if I say it a lot. Various publications have told that this late 2019 JRPG was actually the best of the year? And its battle system is fantastic? That every encounter makes you think about your actions? That the depth of this game is limitless? That there is so much to do and the music is absolutely fantastic?

Well, yes. It is true the music is fucking fantastic, it always was.

For the rest, you have to read this excerpt from RPG Site:

SaGa Scarlet Grace's combat is also consistently fantastic, and may just be my favorite turn-based battle system of all time at this point. Each turn your party has access to a set number of BP - Battle Points - and these points are used whenever a party member acts using a Tech. Different actions have different BP costs - generally, the stronger the Tech, the more expensive the BP requirement. As you continue to use a Tech, it will level up, which both makes it a little stronger as well as reduces the BP cost for the action. Different party formations come with their own buffs and debuffs, and can also change how many BP your party starts with, how and when they get more (most formations will award you 1 extra BP per turn into the encounter), how many BP you'll have access to at max power, and more.

The BP system is already interesting enough on its own, but it really shines once you've got multiple enemies on the screen and have to contend with taking advantage of United Attacks and the Timeline system.

Much like many other turn-based RPGs these days, characters and enemies attack based on turn order. However, Scarlet Grace puts a bit of a wrinkle in things with United Attacks. If you kill an enemy that's wedged between two of your party members on the timeline, then assuming they still die between those party members, you'll activate a United Attack between them. Each party member that's now connected together due to vanquishing the enemy will band together for an attack and all get their go at another enemy on the Timeline. If you're especially lucky, they'll kill another enemy wedged between two party members which will, in turn, activate another United Attack anew.

You want to go for United Attacks, with few exceptions, whenever you can. Not only does it deal a nice chunk of damage to enemies, but every party member that ended up participating in the United Attack gets a reduced BP cost for their Techs in the next turn. The strength of the discount depends on their skill level with their chosen weapon, but some ultra-powerful Techs can only really be used after reducing a character's BP costs - they're simply more expensive than your max BP allotment. The game's combat is at its best when you're quelling an enemy's counter/interrupt with a ranged attack, setting up a chain of United Attacks, and either finishing on a United Attack or an ultra-powerful Tech that essentially nukes the battlefield clean.

There's a lot more to the battle system that makes this easier said than done. Like I just mentioned, Counters and Interrupts are something that players will have to contend with. Both your characters (depending on their class, and whichever Techs they've Sparked from their weapon of choice) and enemies can use these, and they can spell trouble if you want to manage an encounter as cleanly as possible. Most of these counters/interrupts can be Quelled with a ranged attack to the enemy readying the Tech in question - any enemy readying one of these will have three question marks above their icon on the timeline, making it easy to tell when you'll have to consider quelling them.

Of course, with the Timeline system being as it is, and how Interrupts and Counters can adjust positions on the timeline, it might be useful for players to consider using these Techs for themselves. Then you have Techs with special attributes like Confusion, Stun, Paralyze, Poison, Sleep, and Provoke. Scarlet Grace is one of those scant few RPGs where each of these attributes actively feels like they have their place, and stuff like Poison particularly can be a great method of melting a bulky boss' HP since it deals damage as a percentage and not a flat number.
SOURCE: https://www.rpgsite.net/review/9264-saga-scarlet-grace-ambitions-review

Also! Romancing Saga 2 & 3 are also on sale! Also great games, but Scarlet Grace is the most approachable. Also check the guide for more SaGa goodness: https://www.resetera.com/threads/getting-into-the-saga-series.152872/

IMG_20200228_115310.jpg

IMG_20200228_115221.jpg

IMG_20200228_115531.jpg

Oct 25, 2017
Square's best game since Final Fantasy Tactics. Finishing up my 6th playthrough at around the 200 hour mark. Overall the best-designed open-world RPG I've ever played.

One of my favorite regular boss themes:
www.youtube.com

SaGa Scarlet Grace OST - Daemons: Fallen Ones

Music: Daemons: Fallen Ones Composer: Kenji Ito | Arrangement & Electric Guitar: Noriyuki Kamikura Album: SaGa Scarlet Grace Original Soundtrack Playlist: ht...

Four separate main characters to play as, each of which has their own branching plot adding to their own replayability, and a very good Hard Mode, and multiple quest chains to advance over the course of multiple playthroughs (including a series of superbosses and "True" form of the final boss.

The developers managed to solve level-scaling.

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
How's the story? That's basically the one aspect I don't see talked about too often

robotzombie

Oct 25, 2017
it is an absolutely incredible game and i wholeheartedly support this topic

I also bought this for my friend for his birthday yesterday and then saw him in game for the next 4 hours on steam, so im doing my part

noyram23

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I have to echo that it is the best jrpg I played since last gen. Any jrpg fan should get this game

angelgrievous

Middle fingers up
Nov 8, 2017
Ohio
Which is better if I can only get one?

Saga Scarlet or Romancing Saga 3?

I do prefer old school JRPGs more though.

chanman

Nov 9, 2017
I am curious about it as it looks so different from many RPG's. I might not get it right now, as I have a lot of games in my que atm but somewhere down the line I will give it a try.

Łazy

Nov 1, 2017
Already got it once on Vita and twice on the Switch, jp and western.

Amazing game, best rpg for me with Xenoblade X generation for me just for the battles, systems and how original it was.

Best Saga for me.
I wish we could have Saga Frontier 2 with these growth/battle system.
Any reason to get the Steam version vs. waiting for an eShop sale?
Probably not. All versions are extremely similar. The game was on Vita initially so everything can run it easily even if it is an enhanced version (more content).

Kill3r7

Oct 25, 2017
Will pick up if it goes on sale for Switch. I just don't play these types of games on TV anymore.

TrishaCat

Oct 26, 2017
United States
I...can't get over the art style. SaGa Scarlet Grace looks so...ugly in comparison to other SaGa games imo. The Romancing SaGa games look really cool and I might try them, but Scarlet Grace...I think that'll stay in the backburner for now.

Also best jrpg of 2019? The same year Atelier Ryza and Caligula Overdose came out?
I will admit the combat system of Scarlet Grace sounds pretty solid. Kinda reminds me of The Alliance Alive.

Oct 27, 2017
To play devil's advocate...The game is alright. I liked it but I still dropped it to play other games. It has a neat battle system and everything but best jrpg of 2019? Not even close for me.

Not even the best SaGa game. Romancing SaGa 3 and SaGa Frontier are much better

SparkleMotion

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
I...can't get over the art style. SaGa Scarlet Grace looks so...ugly in comparison to other SaGa games imo. The Romancing SaGa games look really cool and I might try them, but Scarlet Grace...I think that'll stay in the backburner for now.

Also best jrpg of 2019? The same year Atelier Ryza and Caligula Overdose came out?
I will admit the combat system of Scarlet Grace sounds pretty solid. Kinda reminds me of The Alliance Alive.

This person gets it.

Oct 25, 2017

They spent the money making the best-balanced open-world RPG with the best battle system to appear in an open-world RPG, with a more replayable main game. Four main characters with different game structures, 80 playable characters, a battle system that remains interesting for 100+ hours.

Acquiesc3

Oct 30, 2017

I'm in the same boat. The characters look ugly as sin and the combat looks cheap budget tier (presentation wise).

Holundrian

Oct 25, 2017
I recently platted Alliance Alive how does Scarlet Grace compare beyond it being harder. It's probably less story driven from what I've heard? Basically someone paint me what I can expect beyond the underlying systems of acquiring new skills and power growth probably being similar/the same as in AA?

MrWindUpBird

Banned
Oct 28, 2017

No offense, but posting Caligula Overdose as being better than Scarlet Grace sure is something.

TrishaCat

Oct 26, 2017
United States
No offense, but posting Caligula Overdose as being better than Scarlet Grace sure is something.
I really liked the battle system's emphasis on timing, letting you see what your attacks would do when and adjusting the timing to maximize the effectiveness of your attacks. You had to pay a decent bit of attention to where your characters were on the battlefield and move them around as necessary and that combined with the pre-choreographed attack system was really neat. And of course the music and general art direction is just divine. Really dug how each dungeon's music just added vocals when battles started and had the different styles of music be related to the bosses of those dungeons.

PAFenix

Unshakable Resolve
Nov 21, 2019
I remember playing RS3 years and years ago. My wife introduced me to it and I really enjoyed it. That said, when RS2 came out, we were hyped to jump into it, but I fell off that one hard. Maybe I was playing/approaching it wrong, but I didn't enjoy it.

Would someone who was burned by 2 be fine giving Scarlet a shot? It's been too long that I'm not sure if I can trust my feelings from 3.

Holundrian

Oct 25, 2017
Maybe I'm wrong but I think the point was more that it wasn't a highly competitive year for JRPGs given that Caligula and Ryza were its main competition. Not that Caligula was better.

Nvm they answered my reading was wrong x)

MrWindUpBird

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I really liked the battle system's emphasis on timing, letting you see what your attacks would do when and adjusting the timing to maximize the effectiveness of your attacks. You had to pay a decent bit of attention to where your characters were on the battlefield and move them around as necessary and that combined with the pre-choreographed attack system was really neat. And of course the music and general art direction is just divine. Really dug how each dungeon's music just added vocals when battles started and had the different styles of music be related to the bosses of those dungeons.
That's fair! My post probably came off as hating Overdose, I enjoyed my time with it, but for me it definitely lost the charm quick and I dropped it fairly fast. I do understand not wanting to give Scarlet Grace a shot for it's visuals, as a big reason I dropped Overdose was due to the character models. I felt the more water color visuals of Scarlet Grace made it easier to get into.

Oct 25, 2017
How's the story? That's basically the one aspect I don't see talked about too often

It is hard to categorize the story, because most people try to compare it to plot-heavy JRPGs while this game's genre is more complicated. It is a ridiculous fusion of RPG genres, mixing WRPG open-world, boardgame/experimental RPGs, SaGa mechanics, the "everything is overworld" genre like Sunless Skies or Uncharted Waters, and mechanics-driven encounters with loads of side objectives like Into The Breach. Central story is rarely the main draw of most of the game's parts.

It isn't as much about the story as much as it is the plot and how everything is pieced together. Many side quests (and optional main quests) differ based on what character you are playing as, and when you are doing that quest. I replayed 2 of the 4 characters because I was interested in seeing the separate plot branches, and still feel like I missed out on some stuff as Urpina.

Last edited:
Nov 5, 2019
Waiting for dat eShop sale.
I recently platted Alliance Alive how does Scarlet Grace compare beyond it being harder. It's probably less story driven from what I've heard? Basically someone paint me what I can expect beyond the underlying systems of acquiring new skills and power growth probably being similar/the same as in AA?
I would also like to know. My best possible comparison is Alliance Alive which I enjoyed playing on the 3DS.

Oct 25, 2017

Some mechanical similarities, but Alliance Alive is much closer to a usual JRPG in plot and structure. Scarlet Grace is much more open and doesn't fit neatly within any standard RPG sub-genre.

Valus

Nov 21, 2017
I really wanted to like this game but it really fell short of expectations, especially given all the praise it's getting here. The overall presentation in this game was really disappointing. Felt like a mobile game. Reasons why I ended up dropping it include:

1) There is no town or dungeon exploring. They are just backgrounds. There is an interactable world map story book ala Pooh's world in Kingdom Hearts, which, while not a bad way to do the world map, is not nearly enough. I visited like 15-20 towns probably and I couldn't tell you the name of even one of them Because they didn't bother making any of them explorable.
2) Only the main character and their main sidekick say anything. A few characters did interject something once or twice but don't let anyone tell you that every character is unique and is included in the story. I had a retinue of like 12 people before I quit and several of them never said a single word, including characters I started the game with!
3) People praise the combat the most about this game. It is tactical and tough, so if you care only about difficult TBC regardless of presentation then you will enjoy the game. However the combat presentation is very poor. You never get to see the actual battlefield and your characters on it. Instead the game just teleports whomever is currently doing something onto the screen and they do their action and then it moves on to the next in rapid succession. It took me awhile to even figure out what was going on because of how bad it presented itself.
4) Character interactions were the same as Fire Emblem Three Houses which I hate. Just two characters on the screen talking talking talking and when something happens like a sword swing, screen goes black and a swipe animation. Many times in both games I had to keep reading to even tell what happened. Just lazy presentation.
5) Story is not engaging. Even if it were, the presentation is so poor that you'd have to really put in effort to enjoy it.

So unfortunately I don't recommend this game unless again, you are satisfied alone with challenging TBC despite poor presentation inside and outside the combat.

Oct 25, 2017
Completely unfamiliar with the series. Are the three titles related and Grace the one to start with?

Totally unrelated plot wise, and all very structurally different. They share some design mechanics and concepts, but RS2 and RS3 are SaGa 5 and 6 respectively, while SaGa Scarlet Grace is SaGa 13 (or so), and is a much more modern game.

RS2 and RS3 are really old and janky games, but RS2 manages to do some things that have yet to been repeated or reproduced in the last 25 years of RPGs. I don't recommend either of them as strongly as I do SSG.

Oct 31, 2017
They spent the money making the best-balanced open-world RPG with the best battle system to appear in an open-world RPG, with a more replayable main game. Four main characters with different game structures, 80 playable characters, a battle system that remains interesting for 100+ hours.

That just sounds like bloat incarnate, something that a lot of other JRPG fans seemingly love nowadays

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
You end up getting used to Scarlet Grace's art style, and personally I ended up liking it a lot more than I expected XP
Just look past it and play it, it has a really neat combat system and the localization is superb.

Oct 25, 2017

I'm high on SSG, and I think RS3 is one of the lesser SaGa games (but I'm in the extreme minority on that).

SaGa games are JRPGs in the sense that they are indeed made by people that live in Japan, but the Romancing SaGa games defy almost all of the convetions about JRPGs that people like, other than some of the battle system aspects and the visual design / music.

Deleted member 18400

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I mean maybe this is common knowledge but does this entry still penalize you for leveling up? I remember something like that being the main reason I hated Saga before.