• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Zaber

Alt account
Banned
Sep 11, 2019
i was just checking gamefaqs (as one does), and found out today is the 30th anniversary of the SaGa series.
Indeed. I saw Kawazu tweet about it and that he looks forward to release more games in the series. I'd love for all the SaGa games to be remade, but a new one would of course be the best. I'm a bit worried, though. Are these three releases RS2, RS3 and SG successful enough for them to bother with any more localizations of the series? I sure hope so.

Cugel

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 7, 2017
What is the best character for a first play though ? I got urpina or something

Oct 25, 2017
What is the best character for a first play though ? I got urpina or something

Definitely Urpina, and it is best to get her through the quiz for the stat bonuses you get, as small as they may be.

Leo is too much all at once, even for a SaGa veteran. Balmaint is quite a bit harder and focuses. Taria's is an okay first choice, but not as well-constructed as Urpina's.

Zafir

Oct 25, 2017
Never played a Saga game and I didn't read up on anything before starting the game so I just did the quiz as I thought at the time. Ended up getting Leo, and yeah, it kind of just drops you in lol. I've put a few hours into it now and have made some progress by going round doing things as they pop up, and learned more things about the combat but yeah not massively beginner friendly.

DrROBschiz

Oct 25, 2017
Its a tough game but im loving it so far

Character building and combat are great and the game doesn't really punish you overly hard for failure.

You get bonuses on retries and there is no permadeath

I feel compelled to push forward even after failure and experimenting with all the skills and combos is a blast

I still suck at the combat a little but im getting better as my characters unlock more access to skills. I know im not supposed to grind but Im doing to anyways. I suppose that if i hit a really hard wall u can just drop the difficulty which im thankful was added in the Ambitions version

super-famicom

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
I bought the game on Friday after reading this thread over the past week. I took the beginning quiz, answered honestly, and got Urpina. I played an hour, then restarted once I understood the battle system and how to get new roles (after reading some helpful posts here). Really enjoying things so far!

guru-guru

Oct 25, 2017
So this is my first Saga game and I'm so glad I listened to all the great impressions in this thread. I'm about 5 hours in or so, and I absolutely love it; it's maybe my favourite JRPG combat system I have played since FFXII. I'm kind of bummed, however, that it doesn't look like it hit the top 30 overall or digital sale charts on the Nintendo shop. I might gift a couple copies to friends unaware of the series for Christmas.

Sumio Mondo

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
Never played a Saga game and I didn't read up on anything before starting the game so I just did the quiz as I thought at the time. Ended up getting Leo, and yeah, it kind of just drops you in lol. I've put a few hours into it now and have made some progress by going round doing things as they pop up, and learned more things about the combat but yeah not massively beginner friendly.
Yeah it just drops you in and that's just the way that Kawazu (SaGa series creator) rolls. I like that design approach personally but this game in particular is very challenging and brutal. It's still one of the best surprises of the year for me. I love the battle system.

Marukoban

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I just got a character with 1 LP total. Will this ever increase?

Nope. But note that losing all LP wont kill your char. He/she will just be out of commission for more # of battles.
That char you mention has 1 LP, but she also has highest total of all stats excluding HP and LP. So it's kind of a tradeoff for her.

Foot

Mar 10, 2019
Nope. But note that losing all LP wont kill your char. He/she will just be out of commission for more # of battles.
That char you mention has 1 LP, but she also has highest total of all stats excluding HP and LP. So it's kind of a tradeoff for her.
I thought it might be that sort of trade off. Thank you for the answer!

Zephyx

Oct 28, 2017
I really want to get this game (I have the funds for it) but I'm debating myself if I'll have time to play it. I still have Pokemon, FE:TH and Tales of Vesperia to play through.

Can anyone link me any impression that'll probably take me over the fence? I haven't played any Saga game but I play a lot of JRPGs. I watched a couple of Youtube vids but did not understand how the exploration and combat worked.

Marukoban

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I really want to get this game (I have the funds for it) but I'm debating myself if I'll have time to play it. I still have Pokemon, FE:TH and Tales of Vesperia to play through.

Can anyone link me any impression that'll probably take me over the fence? I haven't played any Saga game but I play a lot of JRPGs. I watched a couple of Youtube vids but did not understand how the exploration and combat worked.

Best is these impressions from duckroll

But really if you're looking for unique experience in JRPG (or even RPG in general), you owe it to yourself to try Scarlet Grace.
Not having town or dungeon sounds weird at first, but this game's design play around its "weakness" and change it into a strength.
It lets you see the impact of your choices on a macro level, that other traditionally designed RPG just aren't able to show.
On top of that, since there are no random encounter, each and every encounter are challenging and interesting, mainly also due to excellent battle system in this game.
Just try to be more open minded when you do try this game, because it's so different, even compared to other SaGa entries.

jb1234

Very low key
Oct 25, 2017
Hey folks, not sure where else to put this info but it looks like every single SaGa soundtrack has just been released on streaming services.

OP
OP
Gu4n

Gu4n

Oct 26, 2017
NL
I added an enemy compendium to the SaGa Scarlet Grace datamine sheet. You'll have to make your own copy to use the dropdown menus marked with yellow, but I hope it helps people who are stuck. With that, I pretty much added everything I could think of.

As for my progress, Urpina's third act is progressing smoothly. I feel Ambitions is so much more balanced than the Vita version, but that also may be the growth of my own experience with the franchise working its magic.

Mistouze

Oct 26, 2017
I added an enemy compendium to the SaGa Scarlet Grace datamine sheet. You'll have to make your own copy to use the dropdown menus marked with yellow, but I hope it helps people who are stuck. With that, I pretty much added everything I could think of.

As for my progress, Urpina's third act is progressing smoothly. I feel Ambitions is so much more balanced than the Vita version, but that also may be the growth of my own experience with the franchise working its magic.
Thanks a lot for putting this together, I'm looking at the SkillTable sheet and was wondering what the H Column (titled "R") means? Seems like a Y/N thing so I was wondering if it related to sparking or something else.

OP
OP
Gu4n

Gu4n

Oct 26, 2017
NL
Thanks a lot for putting this together, I'm looking at the SkillTable sheet and was wondering what the H Column (titled "R") means? Seems like a Y/N thing so I was wondering if it related to sparking or something else.
Sorry, I forgot to add a Note there. The 'R' stands for 'Ranged' attack. 'GA' and 'IG' for 'Ground Attack' and 'Ignores Guard', respectively.

Mistouze

Oct 26, 2017
Sorry, I forgot to add a Note there. The 'R' stands for 'Ranged' attack. 'GA' and 'IG' for 'Ground Attack' and 'Ignores Guard', respectively.
Haha don't apologize for shit, you're already doing a great job providing data for a game that has little in the way of guides as it is.

At least with you I can see the names of Skill I haven't sparked yet and if I can find them on other weapon types and such :D

DrROBschiz

Oct 25, 2017
My Urpina is a damn beast

Triple attack on longsword with attack buff from my mage is one shotting minor enemies and making united attacks so much easier.

I may try a momentum formation setup for certain fights and see if i can push it further

This game man... One of my favorite battle systems of all time atm.

The Kidd

Oct 27, 2017
Think I broke the story sequence in Urpina's path
After finishing the first segment (freed the earth worm and 20days passed) I was supposed to go find my father. I go everywhere but there and have run into a Sigfrei dude mucking things up in multiple regions and I stop him, and they converse as if I should know about this dude. Just entered Province Termina and his dudes are mucking around here too but Urpina is acting like she has no idea who he is and I'm supposed to talk to the townspeople to get info on him, like I hadn't just been thwarting his plans the last ten hours.

Tfritz

Oct 25, 2017
How the heck do you get dual wielding with Urpina? I can't seem to find it lol

Once you get to the Province that's Northeast of her starting area, you can take a boat to a different destination (Mar Ria?) at one of the ports. Mondo and Urpina will have a conversation about duel wielding in town. Then you visit every town in Ria like twice and go to the abandoned town to have a one-on-one fight, and then I think check the Fairy cocoon?

Tfritz

Oct 25, 2017
Think I broke the story sequence in Urpina's path
After finishing the first segment (freed the earth worm and 20days passed) I was supposed to go find my father. I go everywhere but there and have run into a Sigfrei dude mucking things up in multiple regions and I stop him, and they converse as if I should know about this dude. Just entered Province Termina and his dudes are mucking around here too but Urpina is acting like she has no idea who he is and I'm supposed to talk to the townspeople to get info on him, like I hadn't just been thwarting his plans the last ten hours.

yeah that whole sequence seems to be written in such a way that implies you've done those events in a certain order, whereas i went south from her starting province and did the Sigfrei events down there, where Urpina's response to him is basically "What a weirdo", then I went up to Hibernia and suddenly Urpina is like "Oh my gosh we have to stop whatever Sigfrei is plotting!!!" and I was just like... why. What am I suddenly super interested in him.

The Kidd

Oct 27, 2017
yeah that whole sequence seems to be written in such a way that implies you've done those events in a certain order, whereas i went south from her starting province and did the Sigfrei events down there, where Urpina's response to him is basically "What a weirdo", then I went up to Hibernia and suddenly Urpina is like "Oh my gosh we have to stop whatever Sigfrei is plotting!!!" and I was just like... why. What am I suddenly super interested in him.
Seems weird they expect you to cross 3 specific regions that happen to not mention him, to reach Termina which is supposed to introduce the character. If you go ANYWHERE else along that path, then he's an pre-established villain doing weird shit I don't understand, felt like I skipped over important dialogue and was lost for 10hrs.

Terror-Billy

Chicken Chaser
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Once you get to the Province that's Northeast of her starting area, you can take a boat to a different destination (Mar Ria?) at one of the ports. Mondo and Urpina will have a conversation about duel wielding in town. Then you visit every town in Ria like twice and go to the abandoned town to have a one-on-one fight, and then I think check the Fairy cocoon?
I'm sure I've done all that and I still haven't seen the event triggered or something. I have
2 fairies rescued into the cocoon and I also confronted that guy on the abandoned town that was supposed to give it to you once you beat him.

Jakenbakin

Jun 17, 2018
I'm sure I've done all that and I still haven't seen the event triggered or something. I have
2 fairies rescued into the cocoon and I also confronted that guy on the abandoned town that was supposed to give it to you once you beat him.
Make sure you converse in every town until the option is gone (it's twice per town total), then you'll visit the cocoon.

Thrill_house

Oct 27, 2017
Quick question: is there any way to heal during combat? Started the game as balmaint and its fun but I'm not seeing any healing skills or potions available for purchase.

Tfritz

Oct 25, 2017
Quick question: is there any way to heal during combat? Started the game as balmaint and its fun but I'm not seeing any healing skills or potions available for purchase.

Casters can learn a few healing spells, but they take a turn or two to charge. Sometimes you'll get literal divine intervention to heal too. But otherwise, no, healing really isn't a reliable option most of the time.

Thrill_house

Oct 27, 2017
Casters can learn a few healing spells, but they take a turn or two to charge. Sometimes you'll get literal divine intervention to heal too. But otherwise, no, healing really isn't a reliable option most of the time.

Wow. That seems really strange. There are enemies in fights marked as easy that can crack a defending melee guy for 3/4 of his health in one go. I liked saga frontier 1 and 2 but this one may not be for me. Feels more like unlimited saga which I couldn't stand. Thanks for the info, might give it a bit more and get a refund if it doesn't click soon.

Disclaimer

Oct 25, 2017

Healing's only really available through Unda (Water) or Terra (Earth) tier 3 spells: Healing Rain and Earth Heal, or through random benison effects. But in general, no, it isn't something you'll ever want to rely on.

The name of the game is mitigation. You don't have too many tools at the very beginning, but your club / spear / 2H sword users in particular should gain ways to shield others from damage. Should always keep 2 of those weapon combinations in your party for tanking / off-tanking. The rest of your mitigation will come from turn order manipulation, debuffing, etc.

Wow. That seems really strange. There are enemies in fights marked as easy that can crack a defending melee guy for 3/4 of his health in one go. I liked saga frontier 1 and 2 but this one may not be for me. Feels more like unlimited saga which I couldn't stand. Thanks for the info, might give it a bit more and get a refund if it doesn't click soon.

The damage can feel a little oppressive at the start, but your party becomes substantially more durable and less prone to random 1-2 shots quite soon as they get HP growths and you upgrade your gear.

Tfritz

Oct 25, 2017

While I know how annoying it is for folks to be like "Keep playing this game you aren't enjoying it gets better trust me", I would recommend sticking with it a bit until your characters start learning interrupts and cover abilities - once you have the ability to start neutralizing and mitigating enemy attacks, it's a real game changer.

Oct 25, 2017

Battles are short and brutal. A key aspect of the game is that you can see enemy moves before you make your action choices, but not their targets. If their enemy is using all their BP on a single move, the value of a stun, paralysis, sleep, or going for the kill goes up a whole ton.

That's where turn manipulation comes into play. Get them to the end to give your temporally downstream members time to act, or to make your weak member in the middle of a pack your units so if they take the hit and does, it triggers a combo in your favor.

The game has tremendous depth, probably the most of any turn-based RPG I've played. I'm still constantly learning well into my third playthrough.

Thrill_house

Oct 27, 2017
I think I'll give it a good run and take what you all have said into consideration, thanks alot. I'm going to restart with Urpina as well since that was the character the game recommended at the beginning and I'm not far at all right now. Every saga game seems to have a bit of a learning curve it seems

Oct 25, 2017
I think I'll give it a good run and take what you all have said into consideration, thanks alot. I'm going to restart with Urpina as well since that was the character the game recommended at the beginning and I'm not far at all right now. Every saga game seems to have a bit of a learning curve it seems

This has a curve larger than most. There's so much more depth here than most of the games (or RPGs in general), and the insane replayability for plot quest purposes makes learning the ins and outs something that can span half a dozen runs or more.

DrROBschiz

Oct 25, 2017
This has a curve larger than most. There's so much more depth here than most of the games (or RPGs in general), and the insane replayability for plot quest purposes makes learning the ins and outs something that can span half a dozen runs or more.

The learning curve is the best part! Tha majority of which is mostly tied to combat and character building

On the surface the game is simple. Move story along, fight monsters, learn skills and upgrade equipment

But conquering the battle system and playing around with all its mechanics are addicting!!

I haven't been able to put the game down since I started and the bulk of the time ive spent on optimizing battle tactics

Kitokys

Nov 29, 2017
Finished my first play-through today as Urpina. Immediately did another 7 hour session in Balmaint's story. This game is really something special.

Mistouze

Oct 26, 2017
Anyone knowledgeable about Leonard's scenario? Wondering if I need to hunt shards or if I can follow the "main" quest about the legendary city...

Foot

Mar 10, 2019
I am early in Leonard's game (so can't answer your question, Mistouze) and just want to say how cool Elisabeth is. I like her personality, I like that she's beautiful without being objectified, and I like that she's my strongest character, often carrying us through battles. I don't like that her starting weapon is a frying pan though!

Aeana

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone knowledgeable about Leonard's scenario? Wondering if I need to hunt shards or if I can follow the "main" quest about the legendary city...
Leonard's main quest takes about an hour to finish if you only do the required events. It's extremely open ended and everything is optional.

Valus

Nov 21, 2017
Can I get some tips on the following Urpina fight?

Earth Serpent Lord and Devices of Savnok. They just keep spamming Chaos with hurts like hell and causes confusion. Based on dialogue I assume I'm supposed to destroy the devices but I can't burst them down fast enough.

Deleted member 26293

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Urpina act 2 is done, the boss wasn't too bad all things considered but boy will it wreck you if it decides so.

Can I get some tips on the following Urpina fight?

Earth Serpent Lord and Devices of Savnok. They just keep spamming Chaos with hurts like hell and causes confusion. Based on dialogue I assume I'm supposed to destroy the devices but I can't burst them down fast enough.

This is how i did it

There's not much to it to be honest, focus all of your attacks on the Device that's targeting the worm with Spellbound/Immolate -only one of them will do it- and try to destroy it before it can trigger the AoE attack of the worm, which will likely wipe out your entire party. If you can't do enough damage all you can do is upgrade your weapons or try to spark stronger skills.

Once you destroy the one manipulating the worm it's downhill from there.