• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Sumio Mondo

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
She's at 79 HP right now. A regular boar can oneshot her, and I don't know how to get enough resources to upgrade my gear.

Again, I am in the baby starting area and getting absolutely thrashed before I have a chance to do ANYTHING of value. All I have left is fights that are too strong for me to survive.
She's one of the only characters in my party with any speed, so she attacks. I don't really have any other meaningful options because Mondo spends 60% of every single fucking fight dead.

Use Urpina's delay attack plenty to backlog the enemy and your other party members should learn certain stat boost attacks (attack up) and certain attacks that can paralyse or stun enemies, it's basically you've got to keep attacking until these skills get learned then things get slightly easier. I found things really hard until I used the sorcerer who casts decent attack magic. I'd recommend to changing to the formation that involves the cross shape and planting Urpina in the middle so she's protected by the other party members. Mondo is good at doing a sweep attack of all of the enemies, his later skill is powerful. Unity attacks are great too and can turn the tide of the battle big time (chaining them is even better). Try your best and persevere, it's worth it, game gets really satisfying to play when you start to get better and gain more abilities.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Use the delay attack and your other party members should learn certain stat boost attacks (attack up) and certain attacks that can paralyse or stun enemies, it's basically you've got to keep attacking until these skills get learned then things get slightly easier. I found things really hard until I used the sorcerer who casts decent attack magic. I'd recommend to changing to the formation that involves the cross shape and planting Urpina in the middle so she's protected by the other party members. Mondo is good at doing a sweep attack of all of the enemies, his later skill is powerful. Try your best and persevere, it's worth it, game gets really satisfying to play when you start to get better and gain more abilities.

I think I need to abandon this run. It's just not possible for me to win any of the fights I have available. I have a bunch of Normal or Hard fights that are all too strong for me and then I have a multi-part battle that I already know I can't win. I fucked up by clearing the tower early so the constantly-respawning Easy fiends are gone. Everyone's just too weak to progress.

I also don't have the cross formation.

Deleted member 18857

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The Steam version is so sluggish the moment a cutscene starts. What the hell. Has anyone found a fix for that?

PlanetSmasher : speed is not always the most important thing if you can't kill or interrupt the enemy before they attack. Try to sandwich a weakened enemy and kill him to start a combo. It doesn't matter if the enemy has acted already. Early on, Urpina's impolite sword can be useful not to delay an enemy, but to push them between two other characters so they sandwich it and kill it.
The game shouldn't be approached as a DPS race. Also, not doing anything during a turn because you see an enemy preparing a devastating counter (like these shadow enemies) is a very valid strategy.

Oct 25, 2017
Is it better to lie at the start about having beaten the game so you unlock faster battle speed?

Is credit for beating the game marked account wide, or do you need to continue into NG+/whatever it is regarded as to get the faster speed? Not sure if I should just do Weak mode to finish Leonard's quest so I can save time building up for the Normal difficulty version of the fight.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
The Steam version is so sluggish the moment a cutscene starts. What the hell. Has anyone found a fix for that?

PlanetSmasher : speed is not always the most important thing if you can't kill or interrupt the enemy before they attack. Try to sandwich a weakened enemy and kill him to start a combo. It doesn't matter if the enemy has acted already. Early on, Urpina's impolite sword can be useful not to delay an enemy, but to push them between two other characters so they sandwich it and kill it.
The game shouldn't be approached as a DPS race. Also, not doing anything during a turn because you see an enemy preparing a devastating counter (like these shadow enemies) is a very valid strategy.

Any suggestions for fights that make me fight FOUR fucking boars at a time when it takes me twelve attacks to kill one of them?

Again, my problem is that my characters are so overwhelmingly, pathetically weak that they're dead IMMEDIATELY in battle, even when not attacking, and I have no means of getting strong enough to survive even small encounters.

I fucked up. I killed my entire playthrough by beating the only source of easy encounters before any of my characters leveled up enough HP to survive even two hits. This isn't a strategy problem, it's a systemic problem.

Oct 25, 2017

Yup to all of that. The defense bonus for Defend is even greater against AoE attacks.

It is totally viable to have only 1 or 2 of your characters act in any given turn. Acknowledging that also opens up a bunch of the low-LP Formations

Any suggestions for fights that make me fight FOUR fucking boars at a time when it takes me twelve attacks to kill one of them?

Again, my problem is that my characters are so overwhelmingly, pathetically weak that they're dead IMMEDIATELY in battle, even when not attacking, and I have no means of getting strong enough to survive even small encounters.

I fucked up. I killed my entire playthrough by beating the only source of easy encounters before any of my characters leveled up enough HP to survive even two hits. This isn't a strategy problem, it's a systemic problem.

There's a 0% chance you're fucked. You're just ignoring advice and forcing strategies you already know don't work.

Balmaint is the "you might be fucked" quest. Urpina on Normal ain't that.

You know you press right to attack with other people in your party, right? Just because the cursor is on them as a default doesn't mean they have to act.

Last edited:

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
There's a 0% chance you're fucked. You're just ignoring advice and forcing strategies you already know don't work.

Balmaint is the "you might be fucked" quest. Urpina on Normal ain't that.

You know you press right to attack with other people in your party, right? Just because the cursor is on them as a default doesn't mean they have to act.

I'm aware of that, yes. I'm pointing out that no one in my party can survive more than one hit. The second hit is fatal to everyone, defending or otherwise.

Astraer

Gamer Guides
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Any suggestions on formations? I'm on the fifth region for Urpina and i'm still using the Royal Hearts one. I haven't had too much trouble but I feel like I should be using the others.

RyougaSaotome

Oct 25, 2017
Hey all. Playing as Urpina and in Provincia Jusitania (the second region I believe?). I have a bunch of blacksmiths available to me, but I've come to realize that I haven't touched equipment at all so far.

Where am I supposed to get equipment/how does that system even work?

Slime Stack

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Puerto Rico
Hey all. Playing as Urpina and in Provincia Jusitania (the second region I believe?). I have a bunch of blacksmiths available to me, but I've come to realize that I haven't touched equipment at all so far.

You very rarely get straight up new equipment. You should instead focus on upgrading your equipment as much as you can.

Tfritz

Oct 25, 2017
Any suggestions on formations? I'm on the fifth region for Urpina and i'm still using the Royal Hearts one. I haven't had too much trouble but I feel like I should be using the others.

I think a lot of the ones you unlock super early are weird and gimmicky in a way that don't work for me, but the ones that reduce the cost of BP consumption for specific weapons are great.

You sometimes get new gear when you visit towns for the first time, each character you recruit comes with their own gear, and sometime you get gear from clearing out encounters/side quests. You'll also unlock trading posts where you can trade excess materials for basic gear, but I have yet to encounter a situation where I have too many materials.

Blacksmithing is your primary source of better gear, different smiths have different material discounts, and if you use a specific smith several times they'll grant you discounts on all materials used. Also the more you blacksmith, the higher your smithing rank will be, resulting in you being able to forge better gear.

You'll generally always wanting to be forging at a discount, which I realize sounds like super condescending "avoid touching the enemies or you'll take damage" tier advice, but the discounts are massive.

Vamphuntr

Oct 25, 2017
The game is like so so much better when you reach the point you can go anywhere. The stupid boss that did -3 BP was annoying but I used tailwind to counter it.

Oct 25, 2017
I think a lot of the ones you unlock super early are weird and gimmicky in a way that don't work for me, but the ones that reduce the cost of BP consumption for specific weapons are great.

You sometimes get new gear when you visit towns for the first time, each character you recruit comes with their own gear, and sometime you get gear from clearing out encounters/side quests. You'll also unlock trading posts where you can trade excess materials for basic gear, but I have yet to encounter a situation where I have too many materials.

Blacksmithing is your primary source of better gear, different smiths have different material discounts, and if you use a specific smith several times they'll grant you discounts on all materials used. Also the more you blacksmith, the higher your smithing rank will be, resulting in you being able to forge better gear.

You'll generally always wanting to be forging at a discount, which I realize sounds like super condescending "avoid touching the enemies or you'll take damage" tier advice, but the discounts are massive.

The specialty and repeat customer reductions are good and useful, but the big thing is Blacksmithing Rank, which is game-wide. Low-level items are essentially free to upgrade once you outrank them, making it super easy to keep a well-equipped team and have backups of armor to deal with specific fights.

lupin23rd

Oct 27, 2017
I'm aware of that, yes. I'm pointing out that no one in my party can survive more than one hit. The second hit is fatal to everyone, defending or otherwise.

I started as Urpina and remember not trying to tackle everything in that first area. I think I saw a few Hard battles (or maybe they were Normal ones that kicked my ass as I was still confused by the battle system) and as soon as I had progressed to be able to leave that area I did.

Early on I made use of Nessa's Apid Venom skill, if you can poison an enemy and then focus on the weaker ones in the meantime the poison damage will add up significantly.

Are you losing LP from the battles themselves or the cost of retrying? Even now I find myself doing a lot of pre battle saves just in case.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I started as Urpina and remember not trying to tackle everything in that first area. I think I saw a few Hard battles (or maybe they were Normal ones that kicked my ass as I was still confused by the battle system) and as soon as I had progressed to be able to leave that area I did.

Early on I made use of Nessa's Apid Venom skill, if you can poison an enemy and then focus on the weaker ones in the meantime the poison damage will add up significantly.

Are you losing LP from the battles themselves or the cost of retrying? Even now I find myself doing a lot of pre battle saves just in case.

I'm losing LP from my characters getting ganged up on or nailed with one gigantic hit that just kills them outright. Retrying seems like a foolish option when I only have two reserve characters right now.

lupin23rd

Oct 27, 2017
In Urpina's chapter two, seems I can kind of go where I want now? Any downsides to exploring?

I did all the rumors in the area south of the starting province and came to a cave which is ominously names and can't be what it means... right?

Cave of the Final Boss
First time I've seen Brutal difficulty lol

Slime Stack

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Puerto Rico
In Urpina's chapter two, seems I can kind of go where I want now? Any downsides to exploring?

I did all the rumors in the area south of the starting province and came to a cave which is ominously names and can't be what it means... right?

Cave of the Final Boss
First time I've seen Brutal difficulty lol

Only one way to find out! It is a very fun fight.

Gyoru

Oct 27, 2017
Urpina's starting party isn't great outside of Mondo, but they get the job done (surviving Chapter 1) until you can recruit better characters.

Urpina:
She's speedy with her default stat line. Stay with long swords for most of the game. Dip into other weapons to learn new roles once her route gives you more freedom in your exploration. She can eventually stun with Heaven and Earth and quell with the ranged Sonic Blade techs.

Mondo:
He's versatile, but slow. Every protagonist partner is viable for the entire game because of their availability and being proficient in nearly every weapon type. You can keep him as a spear user or have him main/off tank with sword+shield or club+shield.

Jamto:
Greatsword tank. Smash and Deflect cost 2BP until rank 1 so try to use those often. Flowing Slash gives the valuable Attack- debuff.

Beatrice:
Club+shield tank. Learn Block and have her do that most of the time.

Nessa:
Shortsword+shield disrupter/crowd control. Matador and Mesmerize can turn the tide so try to spark them early.

Zigor:
Bow user. He's very slow for an archer. Bow users are good for quelling ??? enemy actions with their ranged attacks or crowd control with Shadow Weave's paralysis.

Solon:
Average mage that starts with the Terra and Aes schools. You want to try to spark the next tier Terra spell, Earth Heal, asap because it's going to be your main source of combat healing for a long time. Can be replaced later for better mages. Mirane is one available early on before getting Elysed.

Example lineup:
Urpina, Mondo, Jamto/Beatrice, Nessa/Zigor, Solon.

Formations:
Royal Hearts is alright for most of Chapter 1. Just make sure you put your tanks in the front. Eventually switched to Phoenix Dance (my favorite formation in RS2 and RS3), I used that for the rest of the game. Put your tank in the center slot. Mondo starts with Phoenix Dance unlocked.

Oct 25, 2017

Auto save is always right before you selected the map icon. It works pretty much perfectly.

However, the game should let you restart the first fight of any sequence "for free". That's just bad QOL, IMO.

Aeana

Oct 25, 2017
Is there a discord or something for talking shop? I'm kind of at a loss for how/what levels up magic.

Mentioned this on the RPGSite Discord but my Mirane is at least level 10 in Terra, using a Terra staff, and maxed out the flux on Earth Heal yet it doesn't want to trigger a rank up or glimmer.
I would appreciate an invite to this discord when you get the chance, if you remember! Though I hope there will be people around to talk to once I get to playing the game about a month from now. I don't always play games immediately on release and it's tough sometimes.

Here is a link to the RPG Discord.

Hidden content
You need to reply to this thread in order to see this content.

Wingus

Dec 8, 2017
The baby sidequest. How did you guys resolve this one? Who did you leave the baby with?

are you actually able to locate the baby's parents? After destroying the shard, I left the baby at the orphanage

THe PS4 pad emits baby cries every now and again during this quest. Didn't expect that :)

Vamphuntr

Oct 25, 2017
I'm using Mondo with a bow and he's really strong (by far my best character). Learned all the bow skills quickly too.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Finally made it out of the first area. Jamto is pretty much the only reason my party stands any chance of surviving right now, and even then, there are still times where Goblins use some attack that does 140 damage and oneshots a character.

Tfritz

Oct 25, 2017
"Lady's HP increased by 107!"
"Lady's HP increased by 14!"

okay

Missions are good. Double procs are amazing.

at this point i'm in a near constant cycle of running around sending people on missions and doing the trade stuff. papa tfritz needs those materials. (though navigation can be a bit annoying, i wish the world map tab let you instant travel to a different region)

robotzombie

Oct 25, 2017
Urpina main storyline question (after getting Lewis):

Should you choose to destroy the Saw? I said I won't fall for their tricks and then the group moved forward. What decisions can you make that have an impact here?

Vamphuntr

Oct 25, 2017
Urpina main storyline question (after getting Lewis):

Should you choose to destroy the Saw? I said I won't fall for their tricks and then the group moved forward. What decisions can you make that have an impact here?
If you destroy it you have to reforge it (more quests) and you can prevent a main story character form dying.

Last edited:

eyeball_kid

Oct 25, 2017
Is anyone actually playing this on mobile? I'm still trying to decide to go iOS or PS4; maybe PS4 would be better? I never liked the navigation controls on Romancing SaGa 2 on iOS.

Oct 25, 2017
Once I've finished with Pokémon I'm hoping to dive into either this or RS3
This is a much better and more accessible game. RS3 is cool, but it is a fairly light remaster of a 24 year old game in terms of gameplay and QoL.

Is anyone actually playing this on mobile? I'm still trying to decide to go iOS or PS4; maybe PS4 would be better? I never liked the navigation controls on Romancing SaGa 2 on iOS.

None of the control problems of RS2/3 matter here. Absolutely zero dexterity or real-time elements to fiddle with.

There's also fully "analog" movement and a genuine touch interface.

Last edited:

Disclaimer

Oct 25, 2017
PlanetSmasher If the combat isn't clicking with you yet -- and it doesn't sound like it is, from your recounts -- then just put it down to Easy Mode while you get your bearings. You can change the difficulty at any time.

Jakenbakin

Jun 17, 2018
Here's my post about the Android version on the last page - I'm a fan:

It's how I'm playing. Performance has been spotless on my Note 9, no framerate hiccups, extremely fast loading, good controls (I suggest turning on the tap anywhere control method). The only issue I've had is because the text is small ish I once selected the wrong choice in a dialogue box, so be careful of that.

It's definitely the ideal platform for me, with a 1 year old it's easy enough to pick up and play, lock the screen if needed and come back to it. I'd considered Switch but am really happy with my decision.

Marukoban

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I'm dicking around in the second region now, just stole a pirate ship that I can't really go anywhere with.

Wow I didn't even know you can steal the pirate ship.
I fought them in the village and drove pirates away.

In the 2nd region, you can recruit some party members to help you.
I find it help a lot when I have more members to cycle and recover LP.

jb1234

Very low key
Oct 25, 2017
Dropping RS3 four hours in out of aimless frustration. Hoping this clicks more.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Wow I didn't even know you can steal the pirate ship.
I fought them in the village and drove pirates away.

In the 2nd region, you can recruit some party members to help you.
I find it help a lot when I have more members to cycle and recover LP.

Yeah, I helped the bees in the forest and got some honey from them. Then I gave it to the bartender who used it to get the pirates super drunk and now I have a ship! Unfortunately there's very little explorable ocean right now.

Where else can I find some party members? I got axe girl, but that's it.

robotzombie

Oct 25, 2017
Is Lewis any good? Is martial arts any good in general? I literally cant spark a tech with him and he does no damage (a punch of his while one star attacks from others do well into the 100s)

Oct 25, 2017
Does the regular punch skill get stronger or are you just expected to use other skills?

And does martial arts spark normally, like you can regularly spark something off of punch or any other skill?

It mostly works like regular SaGa spark trees, I think. They have all of the skills, but need to have sufficient skill level. I'm not sure on nuances of whether you MUST use a single skill or you can do a different skill but at a different % chance.

OmegaDL50

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Philadelphia, PA
Does the regular punch skill get stronger or are you just expected to use other skills?

And does martial arts spark normally, like you can regularly spark something off of punch or any other skill?

I hope it's like SaGa Frontier. I remember I had Red be mainly a martial artist and I was doing stuff like Locomotion G and Sky Twister and felt like I was wrecking everything.

I love the Fist Techs in that game all because of the super flashy animations. I want to put Pokemon down and get right into Scarlet Graces.

Vamphuntr

Oct 25, 2017
It mostly works like regular SaGa spark trees, I think. They have all of the skills, but need to have sufficient skill level. I'm not sure on nuances of whether you MUST use a single skill or you can do a different skill but at a different % chance.

All the skills in the game (martial art and weapons skills alike) have increased chance of flashing when using specific skills.

So it's much less random in this game.

You can check the wiki. It works really well as with it I flashed most sword, rapiers and spear arts already.

Keep in mind that for weapon skills, there are usually two branch for weapon upgrade and depending on which branch you are the skill to use might be different.

The Kidd

Oct 27, 2017
OMG why did I buy this on finals week. It's 2am and I've wasted my precious study day, why do I always do this to myself.

Also yeah game is the shit, saw the thread here yesterday without even knowing what SaGa was, I'm a fan now.

nano

Oct 26, 2017
Berlin
Two questions:
- Do all techs have multiple ranks? On some of them I got a rank up after like six uses, some of them seem to take a lot more. I assume the basic (one-star) techs require more uses than the more powerful ones?
- Is it worth moving weapons around the part, e.g. give Urpina a Spear for some time?

Zaber

Alt account
Banned
Sep 11, 2019
I finally started the game. Right from the bat, I learned how important interrupts are. I have to characters who have the interrupt move Matador. I feel like I've understood the combat fairly well and the party can fairly consistently get union attacks. They saved me more than once. Despite dying a bit here and there, I'm still progressing at a steady pace. I currently have 8 characters in my rosterr, so LP loss is already not a big deal after just a few hours.
I'm having a lot of fun, but one thing that bothers me is the tiny text. I feel like I need a magnifying glass to read it.