• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

entrydenied

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Does this game have dungeons or is it just fights on the world map? Can you grind in it? I played it for an hour to get used to battle system but it's confusing. The crafting is too and the menus like I have no idea what I'm looking at.

There are no dungeons. I see each region as a dungeon/town combo where you have to look for things to do and fight.

Kitokys

Nov 29, 2017
Got dual-wield with Urpine and she turned into a little bad-ass. Using a Longsword reduction formation that allows her to do some decent DW techs cheaply. I managed to come across two Bladebreaker swords along the journey, which have been a solid 30-50% more attack than most others at this point, and I just now got to a high enough Smithing level to upgrade them from ~20 to 27, which only requires a pittance of Aes crystals.

This game is great, I must say.

Tfritz

Oct 25, 2017
they really gave clubs an interrupt that hits all non-flying enemies and has a chance to inflict paralysis....

Jakenbakin

Jun 17, 2018
thanks my dude
actually looked up some gameplay videos and i can see how the game could translate to Android pretty well, so I think I'm just going to get it on the Play Store.
It's how I'm playing. Performance has been spotless on my Note 9, no framerate hiccups, extremely fast loading, good controls (I suggest turning on the tap anywhere control method). The only issue I've had is because the text is small ish I once selected the wrong choice in a dialogue box, so be careful of that.

It's definitely the ideal platform for me, with a 1 year old it's easy enough to pick up and play, lock the screen if needed and come back to it. I'd considered Switch but am really happy with my decision.

Tfritz

Oct 25, 2017
no offense but intentionally triggering an enemy's interrupt, which triggers one of your interrupts and sends the enemy turn to the end of the list and then them getting nuked by Miss Elysed is one of the most satisfying combos I've had in a JRPG

(also extremely satisfying: when your party correctly targets unite attacks so as to chain them)

robotzombie

Oct 25, 2017
Urpina Sidequests question:

Should I keep helping the Parm Scout? I found an ore vein for the soldiers, and the scout wants me to get some explosives to blow it up, but I feel like he's the bad guy. However, I also don't know what else to do as I've already told the soldiers about it and they moved closer to it but thats it...

Aeana

Oct 25, 2017
Man, the part when you're examining the earth thing in the northeast boundary sure is a drag. That definitely made me want to stop for the night!

noyram23

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I hate you guys, you pushed me into buying this game and now..... i'm addicted. It looks so bland when you watch the gameplay videos but when you're in the game the combat systems, it's intricacies, how you can use it to your advantage and how most of the time it fucks you up is totally addicting.

Got Urpine on my Q&A, i read that she will get dual wield. Is that missable? Also any general tips and tricks? Like should I grind, it's a big no-no on SaGa games usually.

OP
OP
Gu4n

Gu4n

Oct 26, 2017
NL
Oct 25, 2017
The game only has 1 MC review on any of the skews so far. Is interest that low?

I don´t even like Saga but I´ll play this one let´s say next month to at least to find out how a Kawazu comeback looks like.

It is a 30+ hour game that came out three days ago and only sent out keys to reviewers at release. Reviews only come in this early when reviewers don't bother to finish the game. RS3 is still getting a steady trickle of reviews a month later.

residentgrigo

Banned
Oct 30, 2019
Germany
Most outlets get review builds at least 2 weeks before launch. 1 week at the very worst. The same goes for top streamers who have become even more important in most cases. You only wait till the day or even skip sending out copies/keys if you have things to hide, as these are free ads for the publisher.

Destra is a 40-hour game for example yet IGN alone had half a dozen people finish it by the the the official launch happened. 30 hours is 4 days of work at the very most. I am sure that gaming outlets have the manpower or the barely paid freelancers to review a SE game when it comes out unless they know they won´t get clicks.

Deleted member 18857

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The game only has 1 MC review on any of the skews so far. Is interest that low?

I don´t even like Saga but I´ll play this one let´s say next month to at least to find out how a Kawazu comeback looks like.
SQEX did negative marketing for this game. No trailer, no steam page, no review codes before release. The eShop page didn't have any screenshot, only the game logo for a while. Even people who were following the game closely didn't know it was released.
This explains that.

Astraer

Gamer Guides
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
I can echo the comments about the review situation. We only received our review copies on launch day and we'll be giving this title the time it deserves rather than rushing out a review.

Yatahaze

Jun 17, 2018
It's wild how you can end up down a different path as early as the starting area even playing as Urpina. I restarted to get a better handle on the battle system and messing with early game stuff before things open up and get wild and there was a lot of deviation between my two run throughs of the early area. This game is fantastic and so unique in its approach. Not even sure what triggered the deviation. One time it had me go through the tower and the other time it had me take a boat.

noyram23

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This game really need the reviews, it doesn't look engaging during on gameplay vids compared to how addicting it is when you actually play it. I probably passed on if the people here in this thread didn't sell me on it. It's probably my 2nd goty after Cold Steel 3

Terror-Billy

Chicken Chaser
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I wasn't enjoying this at the beginning but now I'm addicted. Wanna know something funny? I bought this thinking it was Trials of Mana, for some reason.

MilkBeard

Oct 25, 2017
This is like one of the first SaGa games where the majority of those who play it are praising it. SE is sleeping on the job

Yu Narukami

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 26, 2017
This game really need the reviews, it doesn't look engaging during on gameplay vids compared to how addicting it is when you actually play it. I probably passed on if the people here in this thread didn't sell me on it. It's probably my 2nd goty after Cold Steel 3
Don't tell me this. I still have like 30 hours to play in Cold Steel before I can start Saga.

KaiPow

Oct 25, 2017
My GotY list for RPGs is all but locked down but it might be on my personal list depending on how the second half shakes out.

Right now I'm starting to settle into a good team that works.

Etain

Oct 25, 2017
I don't know how best to put it, but I feel it's addicting in a way similar to Civilization or Xcom. You have this squad you're throwing to spots on the map, getting into battles, and getting some new discovery or reward for it. It's not about freely running around towns or dungeons, and grinding is something you'd rarely do and more to build up an additional resource (namely LP), so it's that kind of addicting team building thing, I guess.

Tfritz

Oct 25, 2017
i made it to what i assume is urpina part 2 where you can actually freely explore instead of being limited to like 2 or 3 regions, and i'm impressed by the way the game points me towards what i assume is progress:
  1. The game straight up tells you to go look for Urpina's father back at the big stone island where you last saw him
  2. But instead, I went south from Urpina's homeland to the region that was previously inaccessible, which led me to a quest about Sigfrei, who I assume is maybe important because the characters act like he is and Mondo keeps name checking him whenever I cross regions (I am unclear as to why Urpina decided that chasing him down was so important, but it did lead to a lengthy quest that spanned the whole of Lady Elysed's region
  3. The region that would have been the next stop in Urpina's Part 1, Termina or Terminus or whatever, has an event where Urpina thought she saw Sauvok's worshipers
All of these things seem like they could be Progress In Her Story, but maybe they're also just side quests and Real Progress Is Something Else, and this is not an invitation for someone to tell me what to do, because what I'm saying is that they all feel like equally viable leads to follow on, and two of them are things you'd stumble upon by following your first exploration instincts.

It's good game design Todd!

But then I got waylaid by the Sea Mushroom Doomsday Cult because I just want to go to the Ria coast where I have a blacksmith with multiple discounts so I can put to use all these resources to improve my armor so maybe Imohkiel will stop playing fortnite around me

robotzombie

Oct 25, 2017
Urpina Sidequests question:

Should I keep helping the Parm Scout? I found an ore vein for the soldiers, and the scout wants me to get some explosives to blow it up, but I feel like he's the bad guy. However, I also don't know what else to do as I've already told the soldiers about it and they moved closer to it but thats it...

Anyone have any suggestions on the above?

On top of that, I have some technical dual wield questions I was wondering if anyone could answer:

1. If you do dual Wield specific skills, do you have a chance to spark regular sword skills after, or ONLY other dual wield?
2. Do you have a chance to spark sword skills from EITHER of the two swords you have equipped, if you have two different skill list swords equipped?

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I'm getting so sick of combat already. Everyone in my party dies in two fucking hits and I haven't even left the first region yet. How the hell am I supposed to progress when I'm ALWAYS losing LP in every fight? I don't even have any battles left to try and grind my LP back up to a reasonable level, and I don't know how to recruit anyone because EVERYTHING is just a Normal or Hard battle.

Urpina is way, way too fucking fragile and it sucks. It's making the game not fun at all.

Vamphuntr

Oct 25, 2017
How do you transform the 5 elemental weapons into another type? I got two (the one from the volcano and the one with the bronze heart dragon)

On top of that, I have some technical dual wield questions I was wondering if anyone could answer:

1. If you do dual Wield specific skills, do you have a chance to spark regular sword skills after, or ONLY other dual wield?
2. Do you have a chance to spark sword skills from EITHER of the two swords you have equipped, if you have two different skill list swords equipped?

If you want the treasure in the labyrinth you need to help both sides to progress.

Yes you can spark both but only with the weapon in the main hand.

Gyoru

Oct 27, 2017

There are only 3 dual wield specific skills and they all spark off of the basic dual wield attack (dual cross cut)

Your offhand weapon only factors into dual wield skills. Regular long sword skills are calculated with the primary weapon. Your character puts their second sword away whenever they use a long sword skill and takes it back out when they use a dual wield one. If you have a curved sword in your off hand and a standard sword in your primary, you won't be able to spark curved techs.

Aeana

Oct 25, 2017

You can spark single sword techs from single sword techs. The main hand weapon is the one that affects what techs are sparked.

KaiPow

Oct 25, 2017
Is there a discord or something for talking shop? I'm kind of at a loss for how/what levels up magic.

Mentioned this on the RPGSite Discord but my Mirane is at least level 10 in Terra, using a Terra staff, and maxed out the flux on Earth Heal yet it doesn't want to trigger a rank up or glimmer.

Aeana

Oct 25, 2017
Is there a discord or something for talking shop? I'm kind of at a loss for how/what levels up magic.

Mentioned this on the RPGSite Discord but my Mirane is at least level 10 in Terra, using a Terra staff, and maxed out the flux on Earth Heal yet it doesn't want to trigger a rank up or glimmer.
We have a channel on the RPG Era discord where approximately 90% of all English language discussion about the game is taking place. Discord is down right now for me though, so I can't get an invite link.

Sumio Mondo

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
Does anyone else restart battles even though they won just because certain characters lose all their LP as they get beaten? It means I'm making only very little progress because of my perfectionist ways lol.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Does anyone else restart battles even though they won just because certain characters lose all their LP as they get beaten? It means I'm making only very little progress because of my perfectionist ways lol.

I haven't even left the first region as Urpina because I find it impossible to get through battles without losing LP. All my characters suck so much it's impossible to not die. :(

I feel like I'm playing the game categorically wrong and it's just ruining the experience for me.

Gyoru

Oct 27, 2017
You can farm LP indefinitely without battling if you have access to a specific region.

Once you have access to Kei, you can eat Wild Strawberries to refill everyone's LP+1. They respawn every time you reenter the zone.

Leonard and Balmaint have access to Kei near the start of their scenarios. (Ch 1)
Urpina and Taria need to wait until Ch 2 where they have freeform exploration.

There are 3 plants in the northwest of the zone. Two of them are mandragoras that reduce everyone's LP-1 while the other one are strawberries. Look for the sprite with the leaves pointing to the right.

Vamphuntr

Oct 25, 2017
I haven't even left the first region as Urpina because I find it impossible to get through battles without losing LP. All my characters suck so much it's impossible to not die. :(

I feel like I'm playing the game categorically wrong and it's just ruining the experience for me.

You will always lose LP. Some events even has you lose LP. Some bosses can hit you for LP damage directly.

It's not a game that respects your time much that I agree. If I have to use trial and errors and get punished for it I don't think it's a very good mechanic.

Kalor

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
LP loss doesn't end up being too bad in this game. It's pretty generous compared to previous SaGa games and it regenerates quickly even if someone loses all of it. Though it's harder early on when you don't have a large enough roster to continually swap in and out.

Sumio Mondo

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom

It's definitely harder in the beginning for sure and one of the most challenging turn based games I've played in recent memory (which I like about it). Did you start with Urpina as well or another character? It's kind of insane how much content there is with just one character, if each character has their own routes, party members and starting regions then this game makes Three Houses look like nothing in comparison.

LP loss doesn't end up being too bad in this game. It's pretty generous compared to previous SaGa games and it regenerates quickly even if someone loses all of it. Though it's harder early on when you don't have a large enough roster to continually swap in and out.

This is why I'm going out of my way to recruit as many characters as possible. Only on the second region about to pass through to the third region (which is the battle that keeps wiping everyone out for me since it's 4 rounds) but I can definitely see how much easier the game gets towards the back half when you've recruited so many party members to kick ass with that LP doesn't become an issue any longer. Does this game have an insane endgame if you grind at all like in certain other SaGa games or is it okay to grind for materials?

Oct 25, 2017
Once you get a few extra characters LP loss doesn't really matter that much. It especially barely matters once you get assignment missions. Just send somebody off while they regain LP and come back with stat boosts and resources.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
It's definitely harder in the beginning for sure and one of the most challenging turn based games I've played in recent memory (which I like about it). Did you start with Urpina as well or another character? It's kind of insane how much content there is with just one character, if each character has their own routes, party members and starting regions then this game makes Three Houses look like nothing in comparison.

I'm playing as Urpina, and she has so little HP she dies in two hits. I don't know how to get out of the first area if every combat sequence involves large groups of enemies that can kill my characters in two hits, especially when she's already down to 3LP. I think I need to abandon this playthrough and start over. I can't even recruit anyone.

KaiPow

Oct 25, 2017
I'm playing as Urpina, and she has so little HP she dies in two hits. I don't know how to get out of the first area if every combat sequence involves large groups of enemies that can kill my characters in two hits, especially when she's already down to 3LP. I think I need to abandon this playthrough and start over. I can't even recruit anyone.

Don't be afraid to tone down the difficulty temporarily.

Also, have your other characters defend her or use interrupts once you unlock those skills.

Truly Gargantuan

Still doesn't have a tag :'(
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Are you trying different formations? There's one you start with that makes enemies focus on the character in the middle.

Oct 25, 2017

Are you upgrading your gear? Boost her defense. HP shouldn't be the limiting factor. If it is, you'll get 20 HP off of Easy fights.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Are you upgrading your gear? Boost her defense. HP shouldn't be the limiting factor. If it is, you'll get 20 HP off of Easy fights.

She's at 79 HP right now. A regular boar can oneshot her, and I don't know how to get enough resources to upgrade my gear.

Again, I am in the baby starting area and getting absolutely thrashed before I have a chance to do ANYTHING of value. All I have left is fights that are too strong for me to survive.

Gyoru

Oct 27, 2017
Finished my Urpina route (clear save says playtime was 39:12). I love that the credits go through your top 15 most used characters. Each get a written epilogue specific to the scenario and a stat breakdown of the number of battles they've been in and their most used tech/spell.

Most battles
ADAF23A47B5AA5624ED18413C30CDF05B03BAD02

MVP
511A79E0ED13EF457A3E685DEAFB507AA9FCE688

Spears are OP on a fast character - especially one that has permanent Speed Up.

Oct 25, 2017
She's at 79 HP right now. A regular boar can oneshot her, and I don't know how to get enough resources to upgrade my gear.

Again, I am in the baby starting area and getting absolutely thrashed before I have a chance to do ANYTHING of value. All I have left is fights that are too strong for me to survive.

Are you attacking with her or defending with her? Anyone not acting Defends.

Zen Hero

Oct 25, 2017
We have a channel on the RPG Era discord where approximately 90% of all English language discussion about the game is taking place. Discord is down right now for me though, so I can't get an invite link.
I would appreciate an invite to this discord when you get the chance, if you remember! Though I hope there will be people around to talk to once I get to playing the game about a month from now. I don't always play games immediately on release and it's tough sometimes.