• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Vamphuntr

Oct 25, 2017
man this little fae coastal region is great for smithing, and the loop of "go to specific forge for an elemental price reduction -> get a price reduction on all materials for being such a good customer -> continue to use that forge because of the all material discount and get an even bigger discount on all materials" is pretty addictive, and much better than the various merchant levels in Minstrel Song.

(though i'm guessing at some point the game is going to be less "these discounts are a fun perk :)" and more "if you don't have multiple levels of discounts you ain't ever gonna have the materials to forge anything booboo")

i know with weapons there's a reason to hold off on forging, but i can go hog wild with armor right

I loved the wild strawberries in the area that recovers +1 LP to all. Only time were recovering these wasn't tedious. If you keep fighting and opening the basket trap instead of a fae you will get strawberries.

Aeana

Oct 25, 2017
I haven't posted much since I've been so engrossed. I just finished doing (Urpina sidequest spoiler) Urpina's dual wield section and now I'm working my way through Cerenaif. I'm looking forward to the upcoming bits when the game opens up a bit so I can really go in on smithing at the various smithies. One of the upgrade paths I really want to do requires two different specific elemental smithies.

lupin23rd

Oct 27, 2017
I haven't posted much since I've been so engrossed. I just finished doing (Urpina sidequest spoiler) Urpina's dual wield section and now I'm working my way through Cerenaif. I'm looking forward to the upcoming bits when the game opens up a bit so I can really go in on smithing at the various smithies. One of the upgrade paths I really want to do requires two different specific elemental smithies.

I'm in this area now and had a question about one of the roaming engagements here.

Can you interact with the fae hunters at all?
I've gotten Dual Wield, and I've recruited Griffin and Chichi.
I can capture the fairies and take them to the festival to get holy water, or take them to the stone and get into a battle (done each once), but not sure what to do with the hunters.
Thought someone had told me to take care of them. I just want to destroy those boxes on the map haha

noyram23

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Is there a guide to recruit all characters or just a general guide? I can't find anything much about this game on google

Marukoban

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Is there any guide how to develop magic in this game?
I keep pumping all the fluxes to Siren, but it takes ages to even level up, and it said my Aes lvl it too low to glimmer new spell.
I also changed Solon's weapon to Great Staff, but doesn't seem to let him glimmer or use any new magic.
The other thing is, is there any way to speed up spellcasting?

Deleted member 26293

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I managed to defeat

that big skeleton squid

without a single casualty somehow, a bunch of my units were a few HPs away from death and single ink attack would have probably wrecked my whole party. Sleep and paralysis saved my ass multiple times during that fight.

Hugely satisfying but i think that's enough SG for today lol

Aeana

Oct 25, 2017
I'm in this area now and had a question about one of the roaming engagements here.

Can you interact with the fae hunters at all?
I've gotten Dual Wield, and I've recruited Griffin and Chichi.
I can capture the fairies and take them to the festival to get holy water, or take them to the stone and get into a battle (done each once), but not sure what to do with the hunters.
Thought someone had told me to take care of them. I just want to destroy those boxes on the map haha
You can.

You need to let the fairy remain in the trap and then progress the days until one of the crates says it has a bottled fairy in it, then you can go beef with the hunters.[

OP
OP
Gu4n

Gu4n

Oct 26, 2017
NL
so is there a way to reclaim the LP this curse stole or
Win the battle that follows.
Is there a guide to recruit all characters or just a general guide? I can't find anything much about this game on google
It's probably not really helpful, but I use the Japanese Kamikouryaku guide. The game is incredibly dense, and it'll probably take a while before there's some kind of guide in English I'm afraid.
Is there any guide how to develop magic in this game?
I keep pumping all the fluxes to Siren, but it takes ages to even level up, and it said my Aes lvl it too low to glimmer new spell.
I also changed Solon's weapon to Great Staff, but doesn't seem to let him glimmer or use any new magic.
The other thing is, is there any way to speed up spellcasting?
Does this GameFAQs post help?

Aja91

Dec 24, 2017
Does anyone know what am i suppposed to do in the
Dual wielding
side quest? I tried talking to all the towns and idk what to do

OP
OP
Gu4n

Gu4n

Oct 26, 2017
NL
Dual wielding
Try interacting with the other locations and objects on the map.

I've added all the loading screen tips to the opening post.

Aeana

Oct 25, 2017
Dual wielding
Visit every town, then go to the abandoned village a few times. You'll fight a battle, and then whether you win or not, go to the cocoon.

Flon

Is Here to Kill Chaos
Oct 27, 2017
The comments in this thread has just pushed me to buy this. Looking forward to getting into it when I get the time!

OP
OP
Gu4n

Gu4n

Oct 26, 2017
NL
Thanks for the link.
1 follow-up question, how do I know whether the staff I have is for forward or backward learning?
Glancing over the wiki, it appears there's only one backward learning staff, the Mold Breaker, which you'll have to upgrade from the Transitory Staff when your Smithy reaches level 12.

Oct 25, 2017
All the positive impressions are winning me over, despite me not enjoying the aesthetics and UI.

How long roughly is the game? I'm hoping for something that's not overbearing and wears out it's welcome.

Oct 25, 2017
Blacksmith Level looks like the most important stat so far. The cost reduction to low tiers of upgrades makes them virtually free, which I think encourages being fairly liberal with expensive upgrades thanks to how much they boost your Rank. Just note when a weapon has the rare spark type of its class and

Some questions:
  1. The Town Development/trading minigame is kind of a mess. I imagine is tedious on characters that aren't Leonard?
  2. Does Battle Rank impact the final boss, or is it set / other mechanics? If Scarlet Shards determine difficulty which is easiest?
  3. Are there lists of what changes on Combat Difficulty settings?
  4. I assume Leonard has the most access to recruitable characters. How many can he get total? How few can Balmaint get?

All the positive impressions are winning me over, despite me not enjoying the aesthetics and UI.

How long roughly is the game? I'm hoping for something that's not overbearing and wears out it's welcome.

It is supposed to be replayable, but it can be really open and variable, and there is a difficulty setting that can lengthen or shorten the game essentially. Anything from 20 hours to 50 hours seems in the range of normal.

Tfritz

Oct 25, 2017
it's kind of amusing seeing what they decided should be voice acted
One of like three major characters dying? No voices for you.
The Lighthouse Keeper telling telling someone how to navigate the ocean in a non-interactive ship sequence? Voice acted

Tfritz

Oct 25, 2017
As far as I've been able to tell, it's a straight battle rank modifier. I haven't found any detailed information about it on any JP site, but they all seem to talk about it like that's what it is.

this one suggests that hard mode also gives you more battle rank experience per encounter (+15 initial and +4 on refights), and also seems to indicate that Ambitions raises the default experience per encounter from +10 to +12 (i guess maybe Easy mode lowers it to +10?)

But more importantly, that website includes a chart to figure out what your Battle Rank is based on the number of Crystals offered as a reward from encounters

Aeana

Oct 25, 2017
this one suggests that hard mode also gives you more battle rank experience per encounter (+15 initial and +4 on refights), and also seems to indicate that Ambitions raises the default experience per encounter from +10 to +12 (i guess maybe Easy mode lowers it to +10?)

But more importantly, that website includes a chart to figure out what your Battle Rank is based on the number of Crystals offered as a reward from encounters
This is awesome, but it seems to be referring to encounter difficulty, rather than the difficulty setting in the menu? Or at least it is difficult to determine which they're talking about. Sometimes they say the difficulty level of the battle location and sometimes they say difficulty setting.

Edit: Okay they have a few other pages that talk about it, and it's definitely vague about "enemies are weaker" or whatever. Weird to see concrete numbers for so many things but not this.

Last edited:

Deleted member 18857

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I assume Leonard has the most access to recruitable characters. How many can he get total? How few can Balmaint get?
In vanilla SG, Leo had a maximum of 37 recruitable characters (though some exclusive to each other). Ambitions added a few more.
Balmaint had a maximum of 42 recruitable characters, under the same limitation.

Oct 25, 2017
As far as I've been able to tell, it's a straight battle rank modifier. I haven't found any detailed information about it on any JP site, but they all seem to talk about it like that's what it is.

I really like that idea for difficulty levels. In practice it makes the difficulty curve steeper, and keeping up with the curve has always been the center of the SaGa difficulty curve (at least for the games with substantial BR mechanics). It also makes it harder in an interesting way, as you move up to higher tiers of enemies rather than just fighting the same type with multiplies stats.

In vanilla SG, Leo had a maximum of 37 recruitable characters (though some exclusive to each other). Ambitions added a few more.
Balmaint had a maximum of 42 recruitable characters, under the same limitation.

Wow, I would not have guessed that. Do you end up doing totally different zones depending on your answers in Balmaint's arc? I would not have guessed he has more than the open-world character.

Tfritz

Oct 25, 2017
it's all fun and games until you get new characters you want to try out and suddenly realize none of your old strategies will work very well anymore

so far enemy types that are Weak To Fire, Immune To Basically All Status Effects have been my biggest hurdle

Deleted member 4609

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

A lot of effort was clearly put into the translation, which does a fair bit of heavy lifting for the atmosphere and the already cool sidequests, but this is not really a game you should buy if a meaty main story with twists and turns is a priority. The world and battle system are the stars here, and the latter especially shines really bright.

robotzombie

Oct 25, 2017
What does getting the holy water do when you are in sidequest land for Urpina?

Edit: Also, what is the deal with the spirit that follows you. I chose not to steal, but how do you "solve" this situation?

Last edited:

Sumio Mondo

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom

Well it doesn't waste your time, that's for sure. It's less concerned with taking up your time with tropes you've seen a billion times done before, so it mainly aims at presenting an atmosphere and world building rather than an actual cutscenes heavy experience. It's definitely made more towards those of us who have been playing RPGs for a long time. It's more of a seinen presentation, if you get my meaning. You'll be disappointed if that's the only reason you're playing, it's far more about the gameplay systems and the challenge/exploration. Great music too, by the way.

vladisaac

Nov 1, 2017
I finally managed to put some time on the game and I am liking it a lot. The battle system is captivating and looks a lot like a Card/Board game.

ahdurian

Oct 25, 2017
weird question, but is there a "definitive edition"?
I have a Switch, but was thinking of getting it on Android just so I don't have to carry around the Switch during the winter

Aeana

Oct 25, 2017
It really feels like this game has no visibility at all. It's so good, but how do we get people to even give it a look? (._. )

Oct 25, 2017
It really feels like this game has no visibility at all. It's so good, but how do we get people to even give it a look? (._. )
There will be reviews over the next couple of months. There's already one (7.8) by somebody that clearly didn't beat the game yet. If this keeps up, it will be the highest reviewed SaGa of all time!

Zaber

Alt account
Banned
Sep 11, 2019
I have no idea. I think it's impossible. I've tweeted about it, but I don't exactly have many followers. I mention it on every forum where I have an account registered. To be honest, there's not much one can do, just like it seems like Dragon Quest won't be a monster hit in the west, SaGa will be an obscure series that a few fans will love.

Deleted member 4609

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's a tough nut to crack, sadly. The digital-only release and lack of FIGS translation makes it nearly a nonstarter in Europe, especially since it doesn't really make a good first impression out of the blue if you just watch a trailer or whatever. I've tried to sell it to a couple of friends and only one bit after getting to play it for a bit on my Switch. It's also not a great date in general, what with all the sales and the recent big releases, but to be honest I'm not sure another date might have made too much of a difference. Hopefully the eventual deeper discounts will help like they did TLR, but that always seemed a bit lightning-in-a-bottle-y thanks to the very special circumstances of that release.

Aja91

Dec 24, 2017
Guys I'm in urpinas chapter and just meets her brother and he asked me
to kill him and idk what choice to make

All these questions are flaring up my ocd lol

Deleted member 4609

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
folks we're gonna hijack the game awards and run a trailer for it

We do it

bNU6uQJ.png

Vamphuntr

Oct 25, 2017
it's all fun and games until you get new characters you want to try out and suddenly realize none of your old strategies will work very well anymore

so far enemy types that are Weak To Fire, Immune To Basically All Status Effects have been my biggest hurdle

There's still a lot of fire skills. Early on I had Incendiary arrow and Rising Nova for instance. You really need to have as many different weapons as you can. Short sword also have many elements like ice and thunder too.

About 15 hours in I feel this is more or less Unlimited Saga 2 to me.

My biggest issue so far is that the game punishes you for trying different things as recovering LP is never easy nor it is fun.

Jakenbakin

Jun 17, 2018
Visit every town, then go to the abandoned village a few times. You'll fight a battle, and then whether you win or not, go to the cocoon.
So I've done this and nothing happens? I've been running around this place forever chasing hunters, releasing faeries (I did just read this isn't necessarily what I should be doing) and interacting with as much as I can. Do I just keep doing fights at the abandoned village, or were you just referring to getting Griffin? The only interaction I've had at the cocoon is after freeing faeries.

robotzombie

Oct 25, 2017
So I've done this and nothing happens? I've been running around this place forever chasing hunters, releasing faeries (I did just read this isn't necessarily what I should be doing) and interacting with as much as I can. Do I just keep doing fights at the abandoned village, or were you just referring to getting Griffin? The only interaction I've had at the cocoon is after freeing faeries.

Try to visit every town a second time, there were two sets of conversations for me in each town. Then I went to the coccoon and got the skill

mogster7777

Oct 27, 2017
Does this game have dungeons or is it just fights on the world map? Can you grind in it? I played it for an hour to get used to battle system but it's confusing. The crafting is too and the menus like I have no idea what I'm looking at.

Gyoru

Oct 27, 2017
An optional boss just shot one of my party members into the sun and instakilled them.

46416E4609DB49CF573AFD5605262101CA0D821B

368AFAEAAD30613441A9EDE1002B597222E062E1

8692C553A17C7E677DA5DC8D0EF4D0E2A5D8C9D0

A648760EACEAC6B24E66FF6C0FF2B70502D953EC

9365D81264DF5644CA50137297BFC569D737E9E6

I'm in the Urpina's final chapter and this is shaping up to be my favorite SaGa game ever.