• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Aeana

Oct 25, 2017
Make sure you read the tips section of the menu. It's very unusual to get so much concrete information in a SaGa game, and it's all very useful.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Make sure you read the tips section of the menu. It's very unusual to get so much concrete information in a SaGa game, and it's all very useful.

Do you advise plugging away at easy battles a couple of times to get my party's HP up? My characters feel unnervingly fragile and it seems virtually impossible to get out of some battles without at least one lost LP. And if memory serves, in this game you only regenerate LP when a character is rotated out of the battle party for a battle or two?

twisteh

Oct 26, 2017
Yep, been through the tips section, just a bit overwhelmed with all the options. Like I'm just using Urpina's default weapon, but it looks she has tons to choose from!

Sumio Mondo

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
It's a hard game for sure but I wouldn't want it any other way, I'm loving the challenging battles and blew through like three hours of my night on this gem of a game. I got so lucky on that first boss by paralyzing it and then chaining tons of attacks, the fight was practically over by the time it recovered and was going to attack me lol.

Do you advise plugging away at easy battles a couple of times to get my party's HP up? My characters feel unnervingly fragile and it seems virtually impossible to get out of some battles without at least one lost LP. And if memory serves, in this game you only regenerate LP when a character is rotated out of the battle party for a battle or two?

The best advice I can give as a newcomer is try to chain those attacks by combining your attacks as much as possible and if you're playing as Urpina first time through like me then use the caster plenty since he can increase his spell power at the end of each fight (doing the focus attack then the vine attack is a good one) and keep collecting materials after battles to level up those too via the stores in certain cities. Don't worry too much about losing LP each fight, as long as you constantly rotate your team members out and keep looking for new party members to join you can let them rest up in reserve then pull them back in. Even when your party members go down in a fight they can still gain some stats regardless, which was actually nice to see. The chaining of attacks does remind me of Last Remnant.

Wingus

Dec 8, 2017
Jesus Christ, my Urpina's max LP just dropped by 1.......

Time to reload my save :( any assistance on this phantom event (one of the optional map events)?

the penalty for breaking the vow you make to the phantom seems to be max LP dropping. The phantom keeps following me and I don't know how to get rid of it.

Sumio Mondo

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
Jesus Christ, my Urpina's max LP just dropped by 1.......

Time to reload my save :( any assistance on this phantom event (one of the optional map events)?

the penalty for breaking the vow you make to the phantom seems to be max LP dropping. The phantom keeps following me and I don't know how to get rid of it.

Wait, what? That happens? Got to watch out for that then...

Lozange

Oct 25, 2017
Yo this game is amazing
I don't even know what to say really, it's in many ways my perfect JRPG gameplay wise and I was only vaguely aware that it was releasing only a few days ago?!?
it rules so hard

Tfritz

Oct 25, 2017
this game... is good

i say that, and yet i kind of wish there were fewer "surprise there are actually five battles in this chain instead of three" situations, and i kind of get that it doesn't really matter because of how the game works, it'd still be nice if i could save after the first batch before starting the second

Theswweet

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
California
i say that, and yet i kind of wish there were fewer "surprise there are actually five battles in this chain instead of three" situations, and i kind of get that it doesn't really matter because of how the game works, it'd still be nice if i could save after the first batch before starting the second

when you enter the labyrinth, it says the difficulty is easy, and then you find a Hard boss fight

Celine

Oct 26, 2017
Do the questions at the biginning reflect well the chatacter the game choose for you?
I would like Urpina as MC (love her character design) but got Leonard.
It would be fine if Leonard resonate well with me.

Oct 25, 2017
I don't understand the Unity attacks, or whatever. I understood it to be if you kill an enemy that is in between the attacking units, but sometimes when I do it either nothing happens, or, hilariously, the enemy instead gets to attack. I also don't understand how the battles in this game seem borderline impossible sometimes; like, it's ranked as 'normal', but my soldiers are already down to 1 or 2 LP, and sometimes just get one shot. I've sparked a lot of skills, and am still reasonably early on in Urpina's beginning (Going north now with the 'golems' showing up), and the golems are fucking my shit up.

Kinda makes me want to just take a break and play a different game :\

Oct 25, 2017

Yeah, this is super obnoxious. There's plenty of times where you can back out to save, but it isn't clear whether you are totally reseting progress for the event or if you'll be able to pick up where you left off.

I don't understand the Unity attacks, or whatever. I understood it to be if you kill an enemy that is in between the attacking units, but sometimes when I do it either nothing happens, or, hilariously, the enemy instead gets to attack. I also don't understand how the battles in this game seem borderline impossible sometimes; like, it's ranked as 'normal', but my soldiers are already down to 1 or 2 LP, and sometimes just get one shot. I've sparked a lot of skills, and am still reasonably early on in Urpina's beginning (Going north now with the 'golems' showing up), and the golems are fucking my shit up.

If you're new to SaGa, it is totally fine to turn down the combat difficulty.

Note you start with 7 party members, so you should be benching people low on LP so it they will recover.

Learn to have your tanks Protect your softies, or draw aggro themselves-- the "Frenzy" stat is a sign an enemy is aggroed to a specific unit of yours.

Do the questions at the biginning reflect well the chatacter the game choose for you?
I would like Urpina as MC (love her character design) but got Leonard.
It would be fine if Leonard resonate well with me.

If you want Urpina, just change it to Urpina, because she is the "standard" RPG protagonist and strongly recommended for first runs, kind of like Laura's game in Unlimited SaGa or Red's in SaGa Frontier. Leonard's game is totally open-world with a ton of plot variance and a last boss you can reach in a couple of hours (but get totally lit up by), kind of like Lute's game except if Lute's game had plot and dialogue and characters.

Disclaimer

Oct 25, 2017

Just put it on Easy if it's too much, that way you can learn the ropes easier. Difficulty's freely adjustable at any time.

Jakenbakin

Jun 17, 2018

I'll see if I can help, because I found the beginning quite tough until I understood unity attacks better, as they really are a central element to the game. The unity attacks don't operate like you think. Say you have a line like this

X O X X X O X

Now if that X in the middle 3 is killed, the two Xs beside it will activate their unity attack, even though their team was the one that was attacked. In this example, only those two middle Xs remaining will be part of the unity attack. If one of the Os was killed instead, then you'd end up with 4 Xs on the attack because they're "linked". It doesn't matter how the sequence of events plays out, just the final positioning - in a few hours you'll start to see more attacks that affect positioning, for example interrupting and delaying an attackers position, you might push them back far enough in the queue for your team to wipe them out before they even get an attack now! I recommend keeping with it, once I understood unity attacks the rest started to fall into place and this is quickly becoming one of my favorite battle systems ever.

I didn't think I'd like the game as much as I am, it's honestly moving in on Sekiro for my GOTY.

Edit: now I just need to figure out magic. I don't seem to have any luck glimmering new magics with either of my mages and a couple wands of different elements. Also not sure what to put tall that excess magic stuff into after fights if everything just says my eg aes is too low or whatever.

Last edited:

KuroNeeko

Oct 25, 2017
Osaka
Went to buy this on my Switch last night based on the reviews I saw in this thread, and it's more than 6000 yen here. :/

I could buy FE or DQ for that price! :/

Vamphuntr

Oct 25, 2017
Edit: now I just need to figure out magic. I don't seem to have any luck glimmering new magics with either of my mages and a couple wands of different elements. Also not sure what to put tall that excess magic stuff into after fights if everything just says my eg aes is too low or whatever.

Pretty funny that this is the SaGa game with the most freely given information and we are still confused :)

For magic the rank usually increase power and decrease BP usage. If you can glimmer a new spell it will be written there is a minimal/small/moderate chance to glimmer a new spell on the screen where you attribute the flux. If all of them are "level to low" try to smith a new staff and check the description of the staff for which elements it will glimmer spell or grind spell levels.Each weapon seems to let you glimmer one spell on each spell you have (some will be the same though).

---

I feel it's fairly tedious to play in the beginning and get much easier later on. Once you have different counter and elemental attacks on everyone it gets less annoying. It wasn't very fun to have to clear the same easy fights early on to get back LP and it felt like removing inns is simply replaced by something that is a chore.

The best advice to get stronger is to constantly smith every weapon or armor you can and when you smith weapons chose one with new glimmer on them (labeled as ????). When smith level increase you get access to the next tier of items to craft.

So far I'm not really impressed. I kind of like the battle system but the rest is not very nice so far (it feels more cheaply made than anything and most new areas have very little lore or dialogue). Maybe when I have cleared a playthrough it will feel better.

Aeana

Oct 25, 2017
I would advise against forging blindly. Each weapon has a subtype which governs which techs can be sparked, and if you switch types before you've sparked stuff, you are out of luck until you can switch back.

So far I'm not really impressed. I kind of like the battle system but the rest is not very nice so far (it feels more cheaply made than anything and most new areas have very little lore or dialogue). Maybe when I have cleared a playthrough it will feel better.
Well, it was cheaply made, but the way they did it was pretty smart. The world is much denser with events and lore, it's just that this is still a SaGa game, so it's still terse. This isn't a Falcom game that wastes your time with hours of exposition. The further you get, the more the game balances away from being all combat, giving you a lot more choices than just fighting all the time, but you definitely need to love the combat system to get the most out of the game.

Tfritz

Oct 25, 2017
when you enter the labyrinth, it says the difficulty is easy, and then you find a Hard boss fight

I sparked several useful skills in the series of encounters leading up to that boss so I wasn't about to give up, but man it took me like three retries and I had to resort to running two Rapier users so they could keep the Goblins asleep, and even then I only managed to make it through because the boss accidentally set up a Combo Attack for me with Feast.

Chance Hale

Oct 26, 2017
Colorado
Someone figure out how to make the dialogue sections and animated map transitions not run at 20 fps on PC please, so jarring

Last edited:

Łazy

Nov 1, 2017
I would advise against forging blindly. Each weapon has a subtype which governs which techs can be sparked, and if you switch types before you've sparked stuff, you are out of luck until you can switch back.
Or you just forge 2 lines of equipment/old ones again. It's actually recommended to check if you can find new weapons you couldn't get with how you crafted you first one.
It's really easy to get tons of crystals through sending characters on jobs in cities. And even without, it's not impossible to do.

Chance Hale

Oct 26, 2017
Colorado
They run at half of the framerate the game is running at, which is weird. At 60 FPS, they run at 30, and at 144 FPS, they run at 72.
Odd, playing at 4k so maybe I misread the 3 as a 2 because of tiny fps counter text but annoying none the less. Least it shows it's possible to run them at higher framerates.

Edit:
Nope cutscenes are definitely locked to 20 not 30 for me on a 4K tv where the battles and running around the map are 60 fps so who knows. Not the biggest issue given the type of game tho.

Last edited:

Aeana

Oct 25, 2017
Or you just forge 2 lines of equipment/old ones again. It's actually recommended to check if you can find new weapons you couldn't get with how you crafted you first one.
It's really easy to get tons of crystals through sending characters on jobs in cities. And even without, it's not impossible to do.
I think the ability to create low level equipment in towns is one of the best things they added to the re-release, since it does let you explore the different upgrade paths more freely.

lupin23rd

Oct 27, 2017
Do you backtrack to earlier areas later in the game? I feel like I'm avoiding some of the "Hard" battles and wonder if I'm missing out on those completely or if I can come back later on.

Despite being a SaGa game, I assume any of the locations that seem to allow you to endlessly battle are essentially for grinding a bit?

Speaking of which
I ran into a miner who keeps asking me to help with a harder battle, but I've beaten "Hard" and now there's another one - is there an event here or just grinding?

jb1234

Very low key
Oct 25, 2017
PC version needs some patches for sure but SE's track record isn't great with that format.

Łazy

Nov 1, 2017
I think the ability to create low level equipment in towns is one of the best things they added to the re-release, since it does let you explore the different upgrade paths more freely.
So true. Very nice QoL added in this new version.

Do you backtrack to earlier areas later in the game? I feel like I'm avoiding some of the "Hard" battles and wonder if I'm missing out on those completely or if I can come back later on.

Despite being a SaGa game, I assume any of the locations that seem to allow you to endlessly battle are essentially for grinding a bit?

Speaking of which
I ran into a miner who keeps asking me to help with a harder battle, but I've beaten "Hard" and now there's another one - is there an event here or just grinding?
There are not that many events that can't be done if you continue with story or do specific other events. It can rarely happen but you shouldn't get bothered by it because it's basically impossible to do everything as you always have to chose 2 out of 3 main events anyway.

So don't worry too much.

Marukoban

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Haven't been able to play much, but I got Urpina as MC.
The battles are really no pushover even at normal difficulty fight.
I'm trying to cross over to 2nd province, but got beaten at the tower.
Probably need to tinker a bit with blacksmith :/

1upsuper

Jan 30, 2018
I've played so many JRPGs in my life that nowadays I can only really tolerate JRPGs that are either from my favorite franchises or are otherwise really weird and unusual. I've never played a SaGa game before (still want to pick up Romancing 2 or 3 sometime soon) but I bought this game because it seemed to meet that "really weird" requirement and I'm not disappointed.

Marukoban

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I've played so many JRPGs in my life that nowadays I can only really tolerate JRPGs that are either from my favorite franchises or are otherwise really weird and unusual. I've never played a SaGa game before (still want to pick up Romancing 2 or 3 sometime soon) but I bought this game because it seemed to meet that "really weird" requirement and I'm not disappointed.

SaGa in general is really weird but if you are looking for super weird, you might want to try Unlimited SaGa.
Won't see another game like that probably ever.

Chance Hale

Oct 26, 2017
Colorado
What's the easiest way to get a weapon of the same (exact?)type for the dual wielding role i just unlocked? Do you have to find a companion that comes with a similar weapon of a lower rank, take it and upgrade it to what you have?

Last edited:

Theswweet

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
California
Looks like I got to the part of Urpina's story where things open up! I think that's as good a point as any to call it a night...

Tfritz

Oct 25, 2017
What's the easiest way to get a weapon of the same (exact?)type for the dual wielding role i just unlocked? Do you have to find a companion that comes with a similar weapon of a lower rank, take it and upgrade it to what you have?

It doesn't have to be the same weapon, it can be anything in that weapon category. You probably already have another Long Sword in your inventory just from visiting towns or whatever.

Chance Hale

Oct 26, 2017
Colorado
I'll have to mess with it tomorrow then, couldn't equip a terra longsword into the shield slot which is where I presume it goes.

And yeah forgot you get the basic weapon gifts when visiting some towns.

OP
OP
Gu4n

Gu4n

Oct 26, 2017
NL
Whenever that happens I always imagine Kawazu laughing at me in my shadow.

I'll have to mess with it tomorrow then, couldn't equip a terra longsword into the shield slot which is where I presume it goes.

And yeah forgot you get the basic weapon gifts when visiting some towns.
Perhaps unnecessary to ask, but did you activate the dual-wielding role?

Chance Hale

Oct 26, 2017
Colorado
Was going to bother me so loaded it back up before bed and I had just forgotten to scroll to the top of the list since shields are on the bottom. Clearly time to sleep lol.

Thanks for all of the help everyone.