• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Best non-Final Fantasy PS1 Squaresoft RPG?

• Saga Frontier

Votes: 26 3.3%
  • Xenogears

Votes: 340 43.3%
  • Parasite Eve

Votes: 89 11.3%
  • Brave Fencer Musashi

Votes: 39 5.0%
  • Legend of Mana

Votes: 23 2.9%
  • Chrono Cross

Votes: 138 17.6%
  • Vagrant Story

Votes: 130 16.6%

• Total voters

Grahf

Oct 27, 2017
Xenogears. First, always.
Then Chrono Cross. I'm sure there has been some serious overlapping between them (Takahashi worked on both I think ?) because CC's plot is like a draft for Xenogears, the similarities are beyond insane.
Then Vagrant.

Leo-Tyrant

Jan 14, 2019
San Jose, Costa Rica
I would really love a "remastered" Xenogears Switch version, it would be a dream come true. I'm enjoying FFVII on the go a lot, and Xenogears could also work well in portable mode.

Recommendations (graphical only):
  1. Increase 3D elements 4x or 8x.
  2. Apply filtering (allow the user to switch between nearest, bilinear and XBR)
  3. Keep the Menu and interface crispy (similar to VII, not like the disgrace that is IX)
  4. OPTIONAL: Re-do the 2D elements? Keep them the same but upscale/redo the art manually (not automatically via machine learning). Xenogears 2D sprites looked low-res even in the PS1 on a CRT so this would be the only actual area where they would need to have a team doing manual work.
I'm not sure how much of an impact the 2D asset regeneration would entail, but the rest should be easy enough for Square to at least try some internal demos. Even if they just apply 4x and XBR on top of everything (3D and 2D), it could really work, at least in portable mode.

Oct 27, 2017
Mount Airy, MD
There's a reason I have the Rood tattooed on my back. Vagrant Story all the way.

But man, PE, XG, CC, LoM...so much good.

I still can't believe we got CC, VS, FM3, LoM, FF9, etc all in one year.

Saicho

Oct 27, 2017
I found the lack of votes for Vagrant Story disturbing... it's only the best game on PS1

Zeenbor

Developer at Run Games
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Hmm, I put on Xenogears OST 10 seconds ago and then found this thread? Funny timing!

(Obviously Xenogears is my choice and I say that as a huge Chrono and Vagrant fan.)

Burrman

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Always disliked CC and I was obsessed with most PS1 RPGs. Xenogears easily. Saga Frontier was awesome. I don't care what anyone says!

retrobotjr

Jan 10, 2018
I'm actually starting Chrono Cross tomorrow. Up until last year the only game on this list I had beat was Legend of Mana but I finally got through Xenogears and loved it. Been wanting to play nearly all of these games for nearly 20 years so I'm going to try to get through a few of them this year.

Hardvlade

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
SaGa Frontier hands down. I just recently went through the game again, building a dream team with the debug room. I played the hell out of SaGa.

Xenogears & Parasite Eve were cool, but they didn't grab me like SaGa did. Never played Chrono Cross :-/

Hikari

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Elysium
Xenogears has the most votes for a reason. My favourite video game of all time and an incredible masterpiece.

Canucked

Comics Council 2020 & Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Lots of good choices. There's a wrong answer. You know it. I know it. It's Saga Frontier. Don't front.

DeadPhoenix

Oct 25, 2017
i went with parasite eve because i never did beat xenogears and you are missing the actual answer, Saga Frontier 2

Failburger

Banned
Dec 3, 2018
Was legend of mana even s game? I could never figure out how to unlock more levels.

Xenogears was the highlight of ps1 jrpg. Truly a legendary game.

Deleted member 1635

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Expected Chrono Cross to be in the lead given how much positive praise it receives around here, but pleased to see that so many are recognizing the greatness of Xenogears. That game left a huge lasting impression on me when I played it back in middle school.

I'm sure Chrono Cross was good, but I mostly remember being disappointed by it since I went in expecting a Chrono Trigger sequel and it felt like something completely different.

phanboy4

Oct 27, 2017
Vagrant Story is the most interesting, polished and and different thing they did during the PSX era, so that, obvs.

Brave Fencer Musashi at #2.

Xenogears is a fantastic mashup of anime OVA and standard turn-based JRPG, but it's not as much of a successful deviation from the Final Fantasy series as those two.

Schopenhauer

Oct 27, 2017
Tough call between SaGa Frontier and Xenogears, but I still play through a character or two every year in SF so I voted for it.

I had replayed Xenogears once a year, every year after its release, up until Xenosaga III came out. Seeing all that homage in XS III led me to the conclusion that that was as far as the series was going to go. With that dream dead I haven't played XG since.

Soupbones

Oct 26, 2017
For a second I thought Xenogears was the game with KOS-MOS, and was like "IS RESETERA HIGH!?!?!?"

Bladelaw

Oct 25, 2017
This is hard because I actually loved all of these games. In terms of objective quality Xenogears is probably the best with Chrono Cross being interchangeable with it (OST probably makes it better tbh) but I have a soft spot for Vagrant Story. I did everything in that game. I loved it. The story, the combat, the music, and the style were all unlike anything I'd seen before. It's a great game and my pick.

Runner up is SaGa Frontier for having a cool concept with multiple characters and intertwining stories but not fully executing on it.

Deleted member 3010

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's telling how amazing Xenogears actually is despite all its massive shortcomings.

You done good, ERA.

decoyplatypus

Oct 25, 2017
Brooklyn
Either Xenogears or Vagrant Story for me. I so badly wish the latter had received a spiritual sequel to refine its mechanics, better instruct players on the weapons system, and vary up the puzzle elements. But it's probably my favorite Matsuno game. Satisfying (and tightly-paced) story, interesting gameplay, gorgeous art and music.

brambles13

Oct 27, 2017
I genuinely don't get the love for Xenogears. Between extremely slow text (in particular disc 2), boring gameplay systems, and graphics that are inferior to many other PSX RPGs I just never got it. There is a reason the game was less popular than many other SquareSoft games at the time. The whole experience just felt half-baked and it desperately needed some QoL improvements. Maybe I'd appreciate the game more now but I really disliked it at the time.

Chrono Cross is one of my favorites of all-time so that was my vote. So many people write it off as a poor sequel but I really think it is a far superior game in comparison to Chrono Trigger. Besides the things you would expect to improve over a 5 year span (OST, graphics, scope of story, etc...) the game is just more fun to play for me. The replayability of it is insane as well.

Front Mission 3, Vagrant Story, Parasite Eve, and Saga Frontier 2 all also deserve a mention.

Hexer

Oct 30, 2017
Xenogears! I'm so glad it's winning. What a fucking game! One of the best RPGs of all time. A bit too much talking, since you can't really speed up or skip text from what I remember, but man the story and characters and most importantly, the battle system, are all amazing!

Plywood

Does not approve of this tag
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
To everyone who voted Brave Fencer Musashi:

giphy.gif