• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Aether

Jan 6, 2018
So there is a chance that we will get Frontier 2 and / or Unlimited?
Those 2 Game Covers always intrigued me. This also looks fine, will keep an eye on it.

And i cant belive that people think Xenogears would sell less than the saga remasters.
Simply because of the connection to Xenoblade.

Well...or do a whole remake and FINISH the game. It would really be a huge game. But they could promote it as that, a era spanning adventure. Ok, probably not.
Maybe if nintendo buys the ip rights from square... but they probably want more than its worth for a single release (since after Xenoblade sequels to xenogears would not make sense)

Mobius 1

Oct 27, 2017
North Point, Osean Federation
I had the worst experience with an RPG playing this back then. Seeing reactions here makes me now wonder what I missed about it. It was obtuse, disjointed and with the worst random encounter rate I've ever seen.

night814

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
Pennsylvania
Do you have a press release by Square Enix confirming that or are you saying that because you don't want to set yourself up for disappointment?

And Xeno connections aside, remastering a Xenosaga trilogy would be far more of a financial risk than a remaster/remake of Xenogears would be. Xenosaga is three games with varying art styles and gameplay mechanics, Xenogears is a single game that features 2D sprites on 3D backgrounds. Octopath Traveler and this game have proven that Square Enix are willing to dabble back into a game like Xenogears again.
I did say seemingly, they use the characters in mobile games and they make high quality toys and other collectors merch like that. Nothing on the game front at all though and anyone related to the games who could push for remake is working at Monolith now under Nintendo. Who at Square like a Nomura is going to push for a full remake of Xenogears? At some point once you can't buy PS1 classics on PS3/PSP/Vita anymore there won't be any way to even get the original game.

Fei, Elly, Bart, Citan, and Maria are all 5* base units. Emeralda and Billy are 4* base units, and ChuChu and Rico are 3* bases.

Weltall-ID, Deus and G-Elements were also boss fights. They put a lot of love into it:

331000705%20Limit.gif
Part of me does wish I played through it at the time but I was so burnt out on BE, I tried to reinstall it months after dropping it and it made me physically ill lol.

Tfritz

Oct 25, 2017
I had the worst experience with an RPG playing this back then. Seeing reactions here makes me now wonder what I missed about it. It was obtuse, disjointed and with the worst random encounter rate I've ever seen.

perhaps you were playing a different game because saga frontier uses symbol encounters instead of randoms

MilkBeard

Oct 25, 2017
Are you ready for this shit in HD fam

Edit: boss/enemy and skill spoilers here, but it's so chaotic you won't know wtf is going on. They were using some cheat engine to get the best combos also, but it's crazy this game can throw all that together at once

Last edited:

King Kingo

Banned
Dec 3, 2019
Z3AeB7E.jpg

dfEGyk0.jpg

EpPP10B.jpg

the talent and range and use of color and patterns on display... no one is doing it like her!

It's a crime that she's exclusive to the SaGa games, Square Enix, give her different projects to show off her artistic talents.

I did say seemingly, they use the characters in mobile games and they make high quality toys and other collectors merch like that. Nothing on the game front at all though and anyone related to the games who could push for remake is working at Monolith now under Nintendo. Who at Square like a Nomura is going to push for a full remake of Xenogears? At some point once you can't buy PS1 classics on PS3/PSP/Vita anymore there won't be any way to even get the original game.

To clarify, I'm not saying that a Xenogears remaster/remake will happen, I'm just confident that the likeliness of it happening has increased thanks to this and the recent merchandise push. But to answer your question, Yasuhisa Izumisawa, the Art director for World of Final Fantasy worked on Xenogears, a game which just so happens to have the cameo from the gear itself.

www.giantbomb.com

Yasuhisa Izumisawa (Person) - Giant Bomb

A character designer at Square-Enix.

There's somebody who's pushing for Xenogears merchandise, maybe that's testing the waters to see if reviving Xenogears is financially viable?

EntelechyFuff

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Banned
Nov 19, 2019

Still good, after all these years.

SF deserves major props for associating big battle themes with truly tough fights.

This is maybe the only JRPG I know of where I don't have to purposely sandbag a fight to enjoy a rare boss theme: even going all in will still result in a lengthy fight AND I'll probably lose and have to it again anyway.

leder

Oct 25, 2017
Just spent good money on the PS1 game, but if they're adding the missing path I guess my playthrough will wait! Pretty awesome news.

Kalor

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
Those 2 Game Covers always intrigued me. This also looks fine, will keep an eye on it.

Frontier 2 will likely be the next remaster after this. Unlimited is probably further down the road if it ever happens. Theres some other games in the series that'd probably be higher priority.

mnk

Nov 11, 2017
I'm vaguely interested, but with sooo many other games coming out next year I'm more certain of, it seems unlikely I'll ever get around to this one. It does look rather charming, and it's nice that fans of the series are getting a lot of focus recently.

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
I have to admire whoever at Square Enix has the hustle to give SaGa the best remasters at the company outside of Kingdom Hearts

like it's hilarious SaGa Frontier is getting cut content added back in, in English as well no less, but Final Fantasy VIII and IX don't get proper analog support and VII barely gets a touched up localization. That's not even mentioning those sprites...

Definitely excited to try out more of the SaGa franchise seriously starting with the Collection next month. Should I finally play and finish FFII first? I know they're basically spiritual successors to that game's mechanics.

Deleted member 279

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Talking about xenogears, emulators make that games beauty really show. Fixed wobblyness of the PS1 rendering + uprez/AA + filters is the closest we have to a remaster.

That game would make for an incredible AAA remake. The battle system is so fun, Xenogears and Legend of Legaia were similar and I can see that type of battle system working well today

Tatsu91

Banned
Apr 7, 2019
It's really weird how SaGa has been better treated then the classic FF games lol
The director originally never intended for them to be ported or remastered and only would only do remakes i guess he wants people to experience the definitive version of his games. And since he is the original creator he treats them with more delicacy than the others as if im correct the ff remaster team was not the og team.

DimitriLH

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Aguadilla, Puerto Rico

I never thought this would be possible, I am actually crying tears of joy. Thank you so much to everyone that made this happen.

For those not in the know on what SaGa Frontier or what the series even is, I shall point you to this wonderfully made thread that gives a amazing explanation by our very own Nairume : https://www.resetera.com/threads/getting-into-the-saga-series.152872/

Sorry if im being overdramatic but this game means so much to me, I remember it so fondly from my childhood days.

Sorry if a thread is up already, I searched and none popped up.

Harpoon

Oct 27, 2017
This announcement also has me wondering more about what's going with Live A Live after those recent trademarks, and if it'll be a remaster like SaGa recently or a full-fledged remake like Trials of Mana. And also when the heck they're going to announce it.

Yuntu

Prophet of Regret
Nov 7, 2019
Germany
They employed the JRPG remake masters ArtePiazza for Romancing SaGa 2 and 3 remakes. So, I wouldn't call them "low budget".

Thats exactly why I put the part in () there. Low budget doesn't mean "bad". It just means it isnt a big money sink to SE that it should raise questions about what kinda dirt he has on the execs :p

laser

Feb 17, 2018
I hope they'll redo Lute's story though, cause there was nothing there in the original.

MilkBeard

Oct 25, 2017
The uprez looks good in terms of the backgrounds. I mean the backgrounds literally look like the older ones, just higher resolution (at least according to my memory). Wonder if they did it by hand or used some kind of machine learning technique we've heard about.

The sprites, you can tell they've modified them a bit (someone said they've made minor changes). But for example, that massive turtle looks pretty much exactly as you would think, just with great detail. It's pretty impressive. And of course the battle animations are redone. They definitely had a bigger budget for this than for the previous remasters, it seems.

What is the most important is the battle backgrounds. Even back then, some of those often looked like pixelated vomit. Battling will be much easier on the eyes now, and especially with higer res sprites.

Last edited:

Nax

Hero of Bowerstone
Oct 10, 2018
Interesting take on those remastered graphics. Kinda dig it, though. Also really appreciate the speed up mechanic in these old JRPGs.

Makes me hope that we will start seeing other PS1 JRPGs make a comeback.

Toth

Oct 26, 2017
Wow, just saw the English trailer! Maybe this time Blue will have an actual ending lol

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017

And i cant belive that people think Xenogears would sell less than the saga remasters.
Simply because of the connection to Xenoblade.

Well...or do a whole remake and FINISH the game. It would really be a huge game. But they could promote it as that, a era spanning adventure. Ok, probably not.
Maybe if nintendo buys the ip rights from square... but they probably want more than its worth for a single release (since after Xenoblade sequels to xenogears would not make sense)
No one at Square Enix now was creatively involved in Xenogears. There's no one internally that likely has enough drive or interest to push for a remaster or remake. As others have noted, all of these SaGa remasters and rereleases are happening because Akitoshi Kawazu is one of the longest-tenured Square Enix employees still active with the company and he has the internal clout to make these projects happen.

Nintendo could conceivably discuss a remake with Square Enix, but that would rest entirely on whether Tetsuya Takahashi would want Monolith Soft to remake it in the first place.

Spine Crawler

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Ironically, Square is making better use of Xenogears (FFBE, etc) than Namco is making of Xenosaga. But it's still not enough to make it a viable remake candidate.
i can think of many more kosmos cameos in comparison to anything xenogears related though. the later have been popping up in rather recently after the series was basically dead for a decade.

kosmos was in xenoblade 2, project x zone, namco x capcom, soul calibur, tales of, super robot taisen.
No one at Square Enix now was creatively involved in Xenogears. There's no one internally that likely has enough drive or interest to push for a remaster or remake. As others have noted, all of these SaGa remasters and rereleases are happening because Akitoshi Kawazu is one of the longest-tenured Square Enix employees still active with the company and he has the internal clout to make these projects happen.

Nintendo could conceivably discuss a remake with Square Enix, but that would rest entirely on whether Tetsuya Takahashi would want Monolith Soft to remake it in the first place.
yeah i have a feeling that xenosaga will come first if anything pre blade gets a remake.

an openworld remake of xenogears with the xenoblade x engine would be incredible though.

i mean damn... game looks still good.
www.youtube.com

Xenoblade Chronicles X - Skell Fun - Battles/Flight/Vehicle/Exploring

Messing about in a flying skell.Xenoblade Chronicles X Playlist: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLoBdFj1THOCzxjerpgHJCX7Fh8mCe5i2D

King Kingo

Banned
Dec 3, 2019
No one at Square Enix now was creatively involved in Xenogears.

That's not true.

www.giantbomb.com

This isn't a Xenosaga situation, Xenogears came before Monolith Soft so Square Enix has no legal or PR obligation to get Nintendo or Monolith Soft's inolvement for a hypothetical remaster/remake.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
That's not true.

www.giantbomb.com

This isn't a Xenosaga situation, Xenogears came before Monolith Soft so Square Enix has no legal or PR obligation to get Nintendo or Monolith Soft's inolvement for a hypothetical remaster/remake.
No, Square Enix doesn't. But their interest in actually pursuing a project like that is far more unlikely without a push from the game's original producers.

King Kingo

Banned
Dec 3, 2019
No, Square Enix doesn't. But their interest in actually pursuing a project like that is far more unlikely without a push from the game's original producers.

True, but personally, I'm optimistic that Xenogears will eventually come back only because of the recent merchandise push. Why would Square Enix sell affiliated goods to what is arguably an inaccessible game?