• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Mars People

Comics Council 2020
Oct 25, 2017
Goddamn. Why can't Final Fantasy XI get a remastered version like this?
There is still no perfect way to play it in English.

Rirse

Jun 29, 2019
I can't believe they are finishing this game. I always loved SaGa Frontier as a kid, when my brother best friend let us borrow it and I fell in love with the game (minus Rikki). I actually replay the Emelia chapter this year and the game still fun to play.

hikarutilmitt

Dec 16, 2017
According to the OP they are
The only things mentioned in the release (and thus the OP) are Fuse's mission and an extra piece for Asellus's scenario. IIRC there were some other smaller pieces unrelated to those that were cut, though they might actually be related since there were a few maps cut and some other things. Hoping it's less buggy too, but in the age of patches that shouldn't be an issue.

Deleted member 11626

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's kind of amazing the love and care going into recent SaGa and Mana rereleases while FF1-6, Tactics and Chrono get left on the shelf.

To be fair, there are a million ways to play those games. Every single one you mentioned (FF1-6, Tactics, CT) is playable on the mobile device you're using, as well as Sony hardware released prior to the PS4. Some of these other games were still trapped on their original hardware. I'm fine with waiting for the heavy hitters to get released again

Tfritz

Oct 25, 2017
finally other people will get to experience the epic highs and lows of saga frontier

Tfritz

Oct 25, 2017
It's kind of amazing the love and care going into recent SaGa and Mana rereleases while FF1-6, Tactics and Chrono get left on the shelf.

trigger is already on steam but tactics is really weird because it already has an HD version with a touch interface on mobile and yet it wasn't ported to switch alongside all the other PS1 final fantasies
(@ mods please do not misconstrue this as port begging, it is simply an observation based on prior actions by the company)

Last edited:

GavinGT

Sep 28, 2020
They'll remaster this dumpster trash but not Xenogears...

Maybe that's harsh, but I put in enough time to call it that. It was one of the only PSX games I had for a long time. I'd never experienced a game with such uneven difficulty.

Last edited:

FantaSoda

Oct 28, 2017
Unreal. It is a game that had real problems but I loved it because it attempted things I've never seen games try before. Seeing a random NPC in one character's story be a major party member in anothers was mind blowing.

The variety of scenarios puts Octopath Traveler to shame. The worlds you visited were so inspired. The soundtrack was phenomenal. Yes, the gameplay was obtuse and there was a definite lack of direction but it was bold in a way games rarely are and it forever carved a place in my memories, warts and all.

Lowblood

Oct 30, 2017
The only things mentioned in the release (and thus the OP) are Fuse's mission and an extra piece for Asellus's scenario.

Yeah, I'm going to temper my expectations for now, it could end up just being the BioLab. Then again, the English trailer does suggest multiple new events and cutscenes, so there could be more. We'll just have to wait and see. If we're six months out there's plenty of time to show more.

There's plenty of other places they could add to, though. Furdo's Workshop in the Magic Kingdom is another place that's just an empty dungeon with a dialogue-less boss fight in the original (which also seemed like it might have been Asellus content). There was also the alternate escape for Asellus and White Rose from Facintinaru (complete with naked sprites for both, still on the original disc, lol). There's also at least two cut characters on disc, though they may have been test data (one of them is a mech type that only exists as a T260G transformation, whereas all the other mech forms have a corresponding recruit somewhere in the game).

Plenty of things to do with the characters too. Would be nice to see Red recruitable in someone else's story. Blue too, though getting Rouge is basically the same thing. Asellus only shows up in Red and Emelia's stories, and only Emelia actually gets to keep her.

Tfritz

Oct 25, 2017
I've never played the any of the games.... where should I jump in?

there's a collection of the original gameboy titles coming out soon, so you can start there.
but on the other hand, you can skip to the snes era titles with Romancing SaGa 2 and Romancing SaGa 3, available on basically everything except maybe Xbox?
but on the other other hand, you can jump into the latest game in the franchise with SaGa Scarlet Grace, also available on everything except maybe Xbox.
but on the other other other hand, you can jump into SaGa Re;Universe for your smartphone.

They'll remaster this dumpster trash but not Xenogears...

maybe if xenogears had a highly successful mobile gacha game with little overhead it could get a port too, but since she's a flop i don't see it happening. (it's fine, takahashi has been remaking the same game his entire career soooooo)

Thrill_house

Oct 27, 2017
Oh my god!! This is one remaster I NEVER saw coming but always wanted. Holy shit I'm so ready to experience this game again. Understanding and breaking the systems was half the fun. Getting a new character too? I'm in.

Radarscope1

Oct 29, 2017
Cool to see something like this. Glad we're getting these re-releases and remasters from Square lately. This made me remember the upcoming collection of Game Boy titles.

hikarutilmitt

Dec 16, 2017
Yeah, I'm going to temper my expectations for now, it could end up just being the BioLab. Then again, the English trailer does suggest multiple new events and cutscenes, so there could be more. We'll just have to wait and see. If we're six months out there's plenty of time to show more.

There's plenty of other places they could add to, though. Furdo's Workshop in the Magic Kingdom is another place that's just an empty dungeon with a dialogue-less boss fight in the original (which also seemed like it might have been Asellus content). There was also the alternate escape for Asellus and White Rose from Facintinaru (complete with naked sprites for both, still on the original disc, lol). There's also at least two cut characters on disc, though they may have been test data (one of them is a mech type that only exists as a T260G transformation, whereas all the other mech forms have a corresponding recruit somewhere in the game).

Plenty of things to do with the characters too. Would be nice to see Red recruitable in someone else's story. Blue too, though getting Rouge is basically the same thing. Asellus only shows up in Red and Emelia's stories, and only Emelia actually gets to keep her.
Yuuup. Most of this is stuff that was cut for time to release and it's maddening how much was not done. You can even see in-game how much should have been there, some areas being barren like you mentioned, and others looking like they were supposed to have more and just don't. It's like they got too ambitious and had to cut some things down.

And I'm in the camp that was looking forward to SF2, but it being so linear and having characters I didn't like made me end up not caring for it. It's certainly nice to look at and it's got a rather "solid" feel as a JRPG, but it doesn't really feel like a SaGa game, to me, considering even in just the US I'd already played through the 3 GB games and Frontier. SF2 not being as open ended felt like a step back, even compared to how "traditional JRPG" SaGa 3 on the Game Boy was (but boy do I love that game and am heavily looking forward to the collection coming out soon).

Seafoam Gaming

One Winged Slayer
Nov 3, 2017
They've done these SaGa rereleases slightly out of order already by starting with RS2 and 3 before going back to the first 3 games (and they are seemingly still skipping RS1 for good reason)

That said, great as SF2 is, it makes se se to do 1 first. It's the one more people know and like.

they noted rs1 is skipped as they dont know what version to release. Options considered were OG RS, OG Minstrel Song, OG RS with Minstrel Song content, etc. that one may take a while to be ported

entrydenied

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
They also appear to have updated the sprites. Mesarthim has an actual top on now (mermaids being naked is sort of a thing but I can see why they'd change that), I think Blue has a little flap to his robe that wasn't in the original or wasn't visible. Maybe Roufas won't look like a weird naked man anymore! It's still amazing to see how well these games get updated compared to mobile FF5/6.

Yeah, I think it just gave you a base stat boost in the original. Nice to have, but it'd be cool to carry over more this time.

FFV/FFVI mobile will forever be mysteries since the original sprite artist did the new versions.

Bradford

terminus est
Aug 12, 2018
I did not expect this, but it is very cool and I will absolutely be getting it.

Man God

Oct 25, 2017
It still saddens me that they picked this decade to bring over all the SaGa and that they never brought out the SaGA DS remakes in English.

TwinBahamut

Jun 8, 2018
Sweet! Forget FF7R, the real dream PS1 remake has finally arrived!

I have been wanting a port/remake/anything for this game for so long that I have no idea what to say now that it actually exists. This is the best news. I hope that a lot of the missing content is added in. Asellus's scenario really needs it. Maybe Lute's too. A few more characters would be nice as well. And some weird mechanical problems could get fixed. They need to keep the infinite money cheats though.

I better prepare a "Newbie's Guide to SaGa Frontier." People are going to need that.

Encephalon

Oct 26, 2017
Japan
Woaahhhhh. I recently played Asellus and really enjoyed it, though it was pretty tough at times and I think I had to replay some of it.

I'm a little taken aback that they would touch this game. Hopefully more ps1 titles are on the way. They really need to do XG.

Deleted member 18021

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Still holding out hope for RS1, but I'll certainly take Frontier being finished in a definitive edition.

The MMO? I thought they where working on a mobile remake of it.

That's been in development hell since 2015, with huge spans of silence about it between occasional small sparks of life from Nexon's investor reports. Outlook's not looking too good for it.

Not sure what they mean by it not being playable in English, though.

Zen Hero

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not familiar with this game but I loved Scarlet Grace so I'm definitely interested. I'll have to go read more about this one.

Harpoon

Oct 27, 2017
Holy moly! Not only are we getting it on modern consoles, but it's getting finished too? Exciting stuff!

neoJABES

Dec 23, 2017
Never played a Saga game as I've always been intimidated by the difficulty but after watching that trailer and hearing the music and seeing the art, I'm in to try it! Looked amazing!

Mar 11, 2020
Never played a Saga game as I've always been intimidated by the difficulty but after watching that trailer and hearing the music and seeing the art, I'm in to try it! Looked amazing!
You absolutely should try Scarlet Grace. By far one of the best Saga games. It doesn't have a big budget but it really is a great game. Saga games honestly aren't that difficult and Saga Frontier was the hardest due to just not being super balanced. I assume that it will be better balanced in the remaster here.

If you have trouble with difficulty in Saga games it's usually due to just not knowing enough skills. Just need to grind flash some more.

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
I am so fucking excited. One of the best games on the PS1!

And it seems to be getting a great remaster instead of the abominations that they call remasters on the FF side. I'm so fucking glad SaGa gets the treatment it deserves

OskarXCI

Nov 11, 2018
I plan on playing the Romancing SaGa 2 and 3 remasters and Scarlet Grace eventually.

It would be great if they could port Final Fantasy I & II to modern consoles and do a better attempt at remastering V & VI. Don't forget FF Tactics and Tactics Ogre.