• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Vaser

Oct 31, 2017
Saga Frontier is one of the worst rpgs i've played, or tried to play, I should say. Where are the Vagrant Story and Xenogears remasters, Square?

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
It's kind of amazing the love and care going into recent SaGa and Mana rereleases while FF1-6, Tactics and Chrono get left on the shelf.

Lowblood

Oct 30, 2017
I've literally said before, possibly on topics on this very board, that one of my dream games is SaGa Frontier with

-Updated graphics
-Fuse restored
-All the cut events restored

We'll have to see the extent of that last one, but this is about as good as anything I could have asked for. Blessed be Kawazu, plugging away in the tiny shed Square Enix has locked him in. And to be at a point where SaGa releases are confirmed for localization same-day, as opposed to left in limbo for months.

Anyway, as for the trailer:

Fuse appears to have events where he encounters Mondo, tries to arrest Orlouge, and punches Ren. Mondo and Ren were extremely underdeveloped in the original game, so it'll be nice to see them expanded. I'm curious as to whether this is going to follow whatever the original plan was for Fuse, or if they're doing something new.

Same goes for the "restored" content. We see Asellus at the BioLab here, which was basically an empty end-game level dungeon in the original with a superboss (the Earth Turtle, seen in the trailer). I'm guessing the place has an actual point to it now. Fuse might go there as well, Cotton is trapped there in the original and he's an IRPO agent as well (somehow). It was always weird to hear that Asellus had a ton of cut content from the original when she's one of the most "complete" feeling campaigns alongside Red and T260G. I hope Emelia gets expanded as well, her ending just kind of pulls a bunch of stuff out of nowhere.

Can't wait for this. Even though I swore to never play Riki's scenario again. Screw you, Riki.

9-Volt

Oct 27, 2017
You do realize there is a case for this against SaGa remasters in general right? Romancing SaGa 2 and 3 for instance.

I think using FF6 or DQ3 and not the SNES remasters of both Romancing SaGa 2 and 3 kind of diminish the point you are trying to make a bit, especially since this about a SaGa re-release no less.

The point I'm making is that I don't trust Square. They can easily fuck up despite Romancing SaGa was a good remaster. I don't trust them on PS2 remaster either but the original game looked so good, it's gonna be difficult for them to screw up.

But why the counter points? Doesn't everyone else want Romancing SaGa PS2 remaster too?

poncle

Oct 28, 2017
London
Wait. Will we actually get an ending this time?

Every protagonist has their own ending, so if you're referring to Blue's ending in particular, that is known for being unfinished, it's a bit unlikely we're getting anything new. Kawazu said in an interview that, yeah, it's kind of abrupt, but his story ends there. No ending cutscene was ever mentioned, even if there is a music track composed specifically for it ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Valcrist

Tic-Tac-Toe Champion
Oct 25, 2017
En6vYG8W8AAGDgL

poncle

Oct 28, 2017
London
Can't wait for this. Even though I swore to never play Riki's scenario again. Screw you, Riki.

Just leave him for last, who knows, maybe they've actually implemented the system data properly this time, so that the most difficult scenarios are less of a pain.
"Implemented properly" as in "it carries over a bit more than just Stun Slash on Lute"

Dlanor A. Knox

▲ Legend ▲
Apr 6, 2018
I don't know anything about the SaGa series except this bop

Guess this'll be a great entry for me to discover those games.

OmegaDL50

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Philadelphia, PA
The point I'm making is that I don't trust Square. They can easily fuck up despite Romancing SaGa was a good remaster. I don't trust them on PS2 remaster either but the original game looked so good, it's gonna be difficult for them to screw up.

But why the counter points? Doesn't everyone else want Romancing SaGa PS2 remaster too?

My point is people who constantly use the FF6 and CT as examples of them constantly making bad SNES remakes when the fact that Romancing SaGa 2 and 3 exist and the fact that THIS is a SaGa game should be evident enough.

Have you seen screenshot comparisons between SNES Romancing 2 or 3 compared to their remastered releases. It's pretty self evident they have not dropped the ball in regards to SaGa re-releases not even once. So using Mobile versions of FF or CT ported to Steam really doesn't apply in this case.

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
IS THIS REAL LIFE?????

Saga Frontier is literally my favorite PS1 JRPG. Oh my god.

Literally let out a gasp when I saw the Steam icon at the end.

This is the first video game announcement that has truly excited me in years.

MilkBeard

Oct 25, 2017
This is amazing news to stumble onto today.

I love SaGa games, and SaGa Frontier was the first one I played. It's still my favorite, even in its unfinished state. It is amazing to be able to play a more complete vision of the original. I have gotten rid of a lot of my older games because I have moved countries, but I still have a copy of the PSX disc for SaGa Frontier. I even played it through an emulator once on an old laptop that still had a disc drive. Now I just keep it for memorabilia, along with Final Fantasy Tactics and SaGa Frontier 2.

Are you ready to spark flashy skills and see crazy ass level-5 combos with updated visuals? My god, there's a special essence to hitting a level-5 combo in SaGa Frontier. Also, having restored scenes and playable Fuse is awesome. Can't wait to see it in its more complete glory.

They better publish the Essence of SaGa Frontier book in English now. C'mon. The amount of lore that Kawazu and co. has for this game is at Dark Souls levels, it's just that it always isn't so apparent in the game itself.

Let's go. I am there day 0.

(Also, do SaGa Frontier 2 next! That game will look absolutely gorgeous with an HD remaster)

robotzombie

Oct 25, 2017
just a friendly reminder while people are here that they absolutely need to play saga scarlet grace as its arguably the best jrpg to come out since the ps1 era

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Saga Frontier is one of the worst rpgs i've played, or tried to play, I should say. Where are the Vagrant Story and Xenogears remasters, Square?

There's nobody left at Square that cares about Xenogears enough to push for a remaster, and Vagrant Story would need a lot more than a graphical touch-up to be worth playing in 2021+.

OmegaDL50

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Philadelphia, PA
What about the ultimate unfinished game, Xenogears?

While that would be the dream. The director / scenario writer and most of the long time staff involved with that game are no longer with Square anymore. I mean while it would be fantastic if it did happen. Having someone else fill in to write the rest of the story without the scenario writer being involved would probably give a lot of folks pause.

Lowblood

Oct 30, 2017
They also appear to have updated the sprites. Mesarthim has an actual top on now (mermaids being naked is sort of a thing but I can see why they'd change that), I think Blue has a little flap to his robe that wasn't in the original or wasn't visible. Maybe Roufas won't look like a weird naked man anymore! It's still amazing to see how well these games get updated compared to mobile FF5/6.

Just leave him for last, who knows, maybe they've actually implemented the system data properly this time, so that the most difficult scenarios are less of a pain.
"Implemented properly" as in "it carries over a bit more than just Stun Slash on Lute"

Yeah, I think it just gave you a base stat boost in the original. Nice to have, but it'd be cool to carry over more this time.

Ether_Snake

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
If this is the one that was on PS, it was one of the worst RPGs I ever played and the first game I sold.

EntelechyFuff

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Nov 19, 2019
This is a real monkeys paw. For years, SaGa Frontier was my only exposure to the series, and I loved it.

I've since played and beaten Minstrel Song, RS2, and Scarlet Grace, all of which are better games.

I'm excited for this but not sure I can stomach it after all these years still.

MilkBeard

Oct 25, 2017
just a friendly reminder while people are here that they absolutely need to play saga scarlet grace as its arguably the best jrpg to come out since the ps1 era
Yes. I am playing it now, and the battle system is great, and it's fun to explore the world. It's also probably the most well-rounded, polished SaGa game in recent memory, as it explains things well, which is a fairly new thing for SaGa, lol

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
This is a real monkeys paw. For years, SaGa Frontier was my only exposure to the series, and I loved it.

I've since played and beaten Minstrel Song, RS2, and Scarlet Grace, all of which are better games.

I'm excited for this but not sure I can stomach it after all these years still.

Still good, after all these years.

Spish!

Oct 27, 2017
I miss the old Square. FFVII Remake broke me and I've resigned myself to the fact that they just don't have it anymore.

Hardvlade

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Slightly bummed at no Xbox since I had bought RS2/RS3 there, but it's all good, PS4/Switch will be fine!

I wonder if we'll be able to acquire Evil/Mirage magic this time. I remember using a GameShark to access some of the unobtainable magic in the game.

RegionMap used to have so many unfinished places too

Oct 25, 2017
I liked Scarlett Grace Ambitions. Is it better that I stick with Romancing Saga 2 or this one?

SaGa Frontier is one of the better SaGa games, IMO. The three that I view as truly great (SSG, SF, and Minstrel Song) are all great for different reasons. RS2 is a really weird and original game that is worth experiencing and trying if you have the time/money and an interest in the series, but I think it is a deeply flawed gem.

DrROBschiz

Oct 25, 2017
HYPE

Of all the games that desperately needed a second look! I would say it needs more of a remake treatment than a remaster but hopefully we get a LOT of fixes and changes

Nice to see cut content being added!

King Kingo

Banned
Dec 3, 2019

I wouldn't call that reasoning a nail in the coffin, Xenogears has been marketed via merchandise and cameo appearances so it's not as if Square Enix is completely disinterested in the property.

While that would be the dream. The director / scenario writer and most of the long time staff involved with that game are no longer with Square anymore. I mean while it would be fantastic if it did happen. Having someone else fill in to write the rest of the story without the scenario writer being involved would probably give a lot of folks pause.

Soraya Saga is currently a freelance worker, if there were to be a hypothetical Xenogears remaster/remake with additional content, she would be available if she was willing to work on it.

Zekes

Oct 25, 2017
This is amazing, I've always wanted to play Frontier.

I wonder if they'll remaster Unlimited Saga. I'll take them putting the OST on streaming platforms

edit: oh shit the OST is already on streaming platforms, I'm eating

tata toothy

Dec 24, 2017
Cautiously optimistic the Super Nintendo/Famicom heavy hitters will finally get high quality ports one of these years or generations.

Lowblood

Oct 30, 2017
Cautiously optimistic the Super Nintendo/Famicom heavy hitters will finally get high quality ports one of these years or generations.

There's still that Live A Live trademark that hasn't gone anywhere yet (though that might not be what you were referring to).

I'll double dip on day one, SE. Name your price.

My tentative plan is digital on PS4 and iOS with a physical Switch version down the line, since most of these digital Square games get Asia region physical copies eventually.

Aeana

Oct 25, 2017
I can't believe we are finally getting a fixed, finished version of SaGa Frontier.

Tigerfog

Oct 28, 2017
Montreal
AAAH! I love Saga Frontier! (A lot more the the 2nd one)
Fuse being added is amazing and should I dare to hope that some of the dummied out Asellus events will be added?
For the 2D backgrounds, I'm hoping it's only because the trailer's not final, but it seems like some of them are sharp while others are a blurry mess. I won't hold out any hope for them using sources files as they're probably lost.