• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

shinobi602

Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Yeah...this is where we're at.

Washington (CNN) House Speaker Nancy Pelosi told House Democrats in a letter on Friday that she spoke with the Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff Gen. Mark Milley to discuss President Donald Trump and the nuclear codes, as Democrats call for the President to be removed from office after a violent pro-Trump mob stormed the Capitol.

"This morning, I spoke to the Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff Mark Milley to discuss available precautions for preventing an unstable president from initiating military hostilities or accessing the launch codes and ordering a nuclear strike," Pelosi wrote. "The situation of this unhinged President could not be more dangerous, and we must do everything that we can to protect the American people from his unbalanced assault on our country and our democracy."

After speaking with Milley Friday, Pelosi told her caucus that she has gotten assurances there are safeguards in place in the event Trump wants to launch a nuclear weapon, according to multiple sources on a caucus call.

"Speaker Pelosi initiated a call with the Chairman. He answered her questions regarding the process of nuclear command authority,"
Colonel Dave Butler said in a statement.

The announcement from Pelosi comes one day after the House speaker called on Vice President Mike Pence to remove Trump from office by invoking the 25th Amendment and warned that if that does not happen, Congress may pursue impeachment.

www.cnn.com

Pelosi says she spoke to Gen. Milley about Trump and the nuclear codes

House Speaker Nancy Pelosi told House Democrats in a letter on Friday that she spoke with the Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff Gen. Mark Milley to discuss President Donald Trump and the nuclear codes, as Democrats call for the President to be removed from office after a violent pro-Trump...

Last edited:

Magilla

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
If you even have to make that call then he shouldn't be in office. Fucking madness that he isn't out on his ass already.

RoKKeR

Oct 25, 2017
Sentences that should never be uttered. Jesus. This is why he needs to be removed now.

thefit

Oct 25, 2017
If you can't be trusted with the codes, you have lost the confidence of the Military and need to resign.

whatsinaname

Oct 25, 2017
We are in a fucking Peter Sellers movie.

tumblr_mt8jtuvIMx1qhlmruo1_r1_250.gif

YsFaEJz.png

cakely

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
If this is true (and I have my doubts) this is not something that should be announced about your Nuclear deterrent.

It's a deterrent that can be used at any time. That's the entire point.

Oct 25, 2017
What the fuck.

Yeah, I could actually see Trump being so petty that he literally threatens nuclear action to stay in power.

TheDutchSlayer

Did you find it? Cuez I didn't!
Oct 26, 2017
The Hauge, The Netherlands
I know this is all very serious but
did they install a 5th grade level captcha?
LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL.

Seriously the one thing that I don't know is how though because POTUS has the only full atority do launch and if he gives an order to prepare and you refuse you are a traitor to the country right?

Tagyhag

Oct 27, 2017
Crazy that it has come to that but hope it gives some people here peace of mind.

Also, I really hope we get rid of the first strike option with Biden's presidency. We have no reason for it, especially since freaking China and Russia of all countries don't allow it.

Nov 6, 2017
I'm scared that this story is just going to make Trump want to send a nuke MORE. I feel like this is dangerous.

KadeYuy

Oct 30, 2017
Sounds like pelosi called just to say she called and there could be news on it. She already knows the nuke safeguards. Pretty smart move to put a bit more pressure on the 25th

Rocwell

Banned
Dec 3, 2020
If this is true (and I have my doubts) this is not something that should be announced about your Nuclear deterrent.

It's a deterrent that can be used at any time. That's the entire point.
Just because we don't have someone with their finger hovering over the button right this second you think we're at risk of a nuclear attack? It's a terrible idea in the first place and we should be moving towards nuclear disarmament.

Nov 18, 2020
There have always been safeguards. If the President pushes the button and calls a nuclear strike, the request goes to the Secretary of Defense and the Joint Chiefs of Staff, and THEY are the ones who make the true determination. Trump never had any power to do this because otherwise any moment of spontaneous anger could doom the human race

Prison_mike

Oct 26, 2017
Iran or San Fran, I see those as legitimately the only two places he would think about

edit: this was a joke but then I thought about it seriously and came to the same two places..

Oct 31, 2017
Safeguards, it would be like trying to break into Congress or something.

Yeah.

I believe I read something like this was arranged when it became clear Nixon was a raving drunk. Like ony orders given after a certain time in the evening (by which time the president was expected to be off his face) would have to be approved by the joint chiefs

Regulus Tera

Oct 25, 2017
this really shouldn't be something you voice out loud either, because now foreign adversaries are aware Trump doesn't have access to the codes

Camwi

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The thought of shithead launching nukes at Iran on his way out DID cross my mind..

elenarie

Game Developer
Verified
Jun 10, 2018
Such a weird thing to even think about. Of course he won't be able to call a nuclear strike on any place. What the hell are people thinking? This is bigger than any one person.

TheXbox

Prophet of Truth
Oct 29, 2017
The US feels really badly exposed right now. The President is unreachable and unhinged, insurgents just stormed the capitol, and I'm not sure if the incoming president has been sufficiently briefed on classified national security issues -- when last I read, he has not. The worry for me is less that Trump will do something insane and more that the US is incapable of responding to threats from within and without.

Nobility

Oct 25, 2017
Even though I think the generals gave assurances before, I am glad they reiterated it to the public.

We all damn well know he's thinking of pulling this shit on the way out.