• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 26, 2017
Everyone is trying to make their blockbuster into a franchise and many of these attempts miss the mark quite badly... But the Justice League scene teasing a Lex Luthor and Deathstroke/Slade teamup is just so sad it makes me laugh.

Because not only did Justice League not do very well but you're doing a sequel tease using Eisenberg's Luthor as a major part of the hook?

In before Dark Universe as that is the obvious example but I found Justice League to be sadder.

Ithil

Oct 25, 2017
B5wJBcT.png

Let's go with the whole thing.

Oct 25, 2017

Double sad since this was Raul Julia's last role before his passing.

Also this, from Mac & Me

11.jpg

Which you may know better as the movie Paul Rudd keeps trolling Conan with

Mona

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Alita, i guess the sequel tease was intriguing, but thats partly because the first movie only felt like 1/2 a story to begin with

it just leaves you with a sour taste in your mouth

Gravidee

Oct 28, 2017

Granted, this was later spun as a lead in to the animated series which was infinitely better than the film.

Oct 25, 2017
I'll add that Sony is pretty "good" at this.

The Sinister Six teases in Amazing Spider-Man 2 are extra sad now.

The "What's Zuul?" scene from Ghostbusters 2016.
There was a spin-off tease that wasn't as obvious, the scene with Slimer and Lady Slimer driving into the portal. The Sony Hack revealed that they were planning a Simer spin-off.

EatChildren

Wonder from Down Under
Oct 27, 2017
B5wJBcT.png

The thing is I'd be totally down for some pulpy anthology style horror films that are all technically connected, as a Netflix original series or something. Something like Twilight Zone x Stranger Things x Haunting of Hill House. Retelling those classics with mummies, vampires, werewolves, other supernatural junk. Serious enough to be engaging and promote interesting writing, but fun enough to know the material it's dealing with and the intended audience. I think there's a space for that, and exactly why Haunting of Hill House was so well received, and why we're excited for Twilight Zone's reboot.

But man, this was exactly what not to do in every conceivable way.

Oct 25, 2017
Here's a legit sad one as I actually enjoyed the movie.

Since Hasbro confirmed a reboot is next, this will not get followed up on.

Most people don't know this, but Dragon Ball Evolution had a sequel tease. It played after the credits and everyone that actually bothered to watch the movie ran the hell out of there. It shows a woman walking up to someone in a bed, the person in bed turns and surprise Piccolo survived! I'm amazed they had the balls to try that.
I'd post a video but the only one I can find is potato quality and has annoying commentary.

TheXbox

Prophet of Truth
Oct 29, 2017
Solo had two teases for separate sequels - Maul and Jabba - which will obviously never manifest. Bummer, but probably the right direction for the series anyway.

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
Iron Man

Kind of with Terrance Howard saying 'next time, baby'

And I guess a Solo sequel with Qira and Darth Maul, and Machete Kills Again in Space

Hoagmaster

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Jem and the Holograms is a horrendous movie on every level, and the fact it came with a post-credit scene that sets up the Misfits was flabbergasting.

Lashes.541

Dec 18, 2017
Roseburg Oregon
The thing is I'd be totally down for some pulpy anthology style horror films that are all technically connected, as a Netflix original series or something. Something like Twilight Zone x Stranger Things x Haunting of Hill House. Retelling those classics with mummies, vampires, werewolves, other supernatural junk. Serious enough to be engaging and promote interesting writing, but fun enough to know the material it's dealing with and the intended audience. I think there's a space for that, and exactly why Haunting of Hill House was so well received, and why we're excited for Twilight Zone's reboot.

But man, this was exactly what not to do in every conceivable way.
I might be reading you're post wrong? But twilight zone came out months ago. It was really bad in my opinion. It's on cbs all access.

Stat

Oct 25, 2017
Here's a legit sad one as I actually enjoyed the movie.

Since Hasbro confirmed a reboot is next, this will not get followed up on.

Most people don't know this, but Dragon Ball Evolution had a sequel tease. It played after the credits and everyone that actually bothered to watch the movie ran the hell out of there. It shows a woman walking up to someone in a bed, the person in bed turns and surprise Piccolo survived! I'm amazed they had the balls to try that.
I'd post a video but the only one I can find is potato quality and has annoying commentary.

Wait, is it really? I found Power Rangers to be super enjoyable and way more fun than it had any right to be.

This thread is full of sadness. Dark Universe, Justice League. It should be illegal to do teases and not a sequel even if you are going to get trashed in money

Jon Carter

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

The one interesting thing about that scene is that the woman who saved Piccolo is the same woman that we thought Mai killed early in the film. It's such a weird thing calling back to that even though everything led us to believe she was just a random casualty to show how cruel Piccolo and Mai are. I guess you're supposed to think Piccolo spared her and for some reason she was grateful and saved his life? It's fucking weird.

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
B5wJBcT.png

hahahahAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

*ahem*

This one at the end of Resident Evil Retribution isn't the saddest because it didn't happen, but because it did and was effectively reduced to a cliffnote
UnpleasantForkedIsopod-size_restricted.gif

You got Jill, Wesker, Alice, Ada, and Leon prepared to face off against a zombie horde in front of the white house, and do you know how the movie after this one starts?

• Battle's already over
  • Everyone but Alice and Wesker died
  • Wesker went back to Raccoon City
As an equivalent, that's like the first 20 minutes of Endgame being reduced to a few sentences of exposition

Metallix87

User Requested Self-Ban
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Wait, is it really? I found Power Rangers to be super enjoyable and way more fun than it had any right to be.

This thread is full of sadness. Dark Universe, Justice League. It should be illegal to do teases and not a sequel even if you are going to get trashed in money
I'm convinced Justice League 2 will happen eventually.

Skunk

Oct 28, 2017
I've always been really saddened by the tease at the end of The Rocketeer. A criminally underrated movie that teased a sequel that would never come.

egg

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017