• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
Expected since the closure of Liverpool, but after every PlayStation console (even the Vita) had at least one original Wipeout game, unless things change soon the PS4 will be the first one without one. There's the Omega Collection so at least the franchise is on life support, but it's still very sad to see what once was a franchise heavily associated with PlayStation go down like that.

The only chance it has now is as a launch window title to showcase the power of the PS5, as Wipeout has always stood out graphics-wise and it'd be the only time Sony might look into it. But man, not even DLC for the collection, it's pretty sad seeing how good the games are.

Mr.Deadshot

Oct 27, 2017
The VR Update for Wipeout Omega is pretty much it's own thing though. Best racing experience I've ever had.

FelipeMGM

#Skate4
Oct 25, 2017
Kinda crazy that the only Sony series that has an original game in every system the company ever made is Everybody's Golf

Oct 30, 2017
I forgot Wipeout HD Fury is all new content, too.

Please just give us a PS5 version with some ambitious track design. Keep the budget reasonable and let it be a VR showcase.

apocat

Oct 27, 2017
It wasn't new content, but it was fully remade for the PS3 with a new physics system and more stuff.

The actual VR conversion IS the new content. You can't get it anywhere else, and it feels like a fundamentally different game in VR. It's the best game in the entire series because of it.

Acquiescence

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Lake Titicaca
It sucks that when I try to envision a brand new WipEout game on the PS5, all I can see is a Feisar ship crouched down in a bush waiting to get a stealth kill.

OP
OP
Lant_War

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018

Izzard

Banned
Sep 21, 2018
So far...

Although VR update feels like a new game, and playing the vita game on the big screen is nice, I know what you mean. Fingers crossed something is in the works.

OP
OP
Lant_War

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
Nah, they're very subtle. Doubt anybody noticed them:

436087-wipeout-xl-playstation-screenshot-loading-screen.png

I'm guessing the music rights are the reason we'll never see an XL remake?
Not really, they can always change the music and replace it with worse tracks like with the Omega Collection

retrosega

Jun 14, 2019
I love the Wipeout series and really hope it's revived somehow for the PS5.
The orginal Wipeout sold me on the PS1 and imo HD/Fury was the best racer on the PS3.

Josh5890

I'm Your Favorite Poster's Favorite Poster
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Correct me if I am wrong, but the PS4 will be the first time a PlayStation console does not have:

A new Wipeout
A new original GTA game
A new IP from Naughty Dog
A new Castlevania game
A new college football game (external reasons beyond gaming I know but damn it this still hurts)
A new Twisted Metal
A new Ridge Racer
Only one original Final Fantasy game

Jan 19, 2018
VR is cool and all, but we need some new tracks and updated weapons and stuff. I played the hell out of Omega Collection, and all the other Wipeout games for that matter, but the last new tracks we got were in 2048, released in 2012.

I would pay full price for a new Wipeout game with fresh tracks.

Franco_Tech

Oct 30, 2017
Correct me if I am wrong, but the PS4 will be the first time a PlayStation console does not have:

A new Wipeout
A new original GTA game
A new IP from Naughty Dog
A new Castlevania game
A new college football game (external reasons beyond gaming I know but damn it this still hurts)
A new Twisted Metal
A new Ridge Racer
Only one original Final Fantasy game
Not a numbered Gran Turismo neither

Malkier

Oct 25, 2017
This just reminded me I haven't touch the VR yet.... Hmm do I feel like getting sick?

OP
OP
Lant_War

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
I tried my best to enjoy wipeout but I couldn't, but it sure looks like a beloved franchise for many here.
To be fair, the Omega Collection (and pretty much every other Wipeout game, really) makes no effort in teaching the players how to get into the game besides "hints" in the loading screens. I tried to give advice to people checking it out when it was free with PS+ as again, the game just doesn't teach you how to take a good racing line, when to use the air breaks, how to control the pitch, what every weapon does, what the stats difference means, etc. The airbreaks are even mapped unproperly too, as they're pretty much useless on analogue triggers.

Hell a lot of people thought the games were slow because the first 20 or so events in the campaign modes are in the slowest speed. It's a shame.

Deleted member 13155

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
No RR and Wipeout hurts for an old timer like me. I was there when the first playstation hit the market and RR was actually my first PS1 game. Wipeout I wouldn't get into until 2097 hit but since then I am a fan of this franchise. Omega is great though, best VR game I have ever played and single handedly redeemed my purchase.

This shows how the landscape has changed. There seems to be little demand left for something like Wipeout and RR. Yet arcade racers seem to sell when they're from indies and offered digitally.

Wipeout at least showed up, I guess.

Jonnax

Oct 26, 2017
I remember near launch of Omega they tweeted out that if it sells enough it could demonstrate interest in a new Wipeout.

I guess it didn't sell enough.