• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Who should Sony get behind?

• Sackboy

Votes: 209 17.7%
  • Astro Bot

Votes: 593 50.2%
  • Whynotboth.png

Votes: 211 17.9%
  • Neither (Who? Why?)

Votes: 134 11.3%
  • Thor: The Dark World

Votes: 34 2.9%

• Total voters

Dizastah

Oct 25, 2017
953503.jpg

VS.

3735904-sackboy.jpg

Derachi

Oct 27, 2017
I cannot possibly explain how or why this sentiment has been formed in my head, but for some reason when these two characters are given to me as options, I see Sackboy as "tainted" and Astro Bot as "pure."

So Astro Bot

Acquiescence

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Lake Titicaca
Astro I guess? But I'm glad they're both gracing the PS5 on launch day. Sony didn't show nearly enough love to the platforming genre this gen, so it's nice to see them starting out strong this time around.

Stowaway Silfer

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I love LBP and have never played Astro Bot but Astro seems more fitting now with how it has had games tied to PS hardware and has a design inspired by the colors of recent PS hardware. Might as well be the mascot at this point.

Meg Cherry

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA
I cannot possibly explain how or why this sentiment has been formed in my head, but for some reason when these two characters are given to me as options, I see Sackboy as "tainted" and Astro Bot as "pure."

So Astro Bot
Sackboy feels like the mascot of the early PS3 era, which for all the charms - is also when Sony was making a lot of unnecessary errors. Combine that with the less-than-stellar quality of the non-MM LBP games - and I can see how the idea of Sackboy being 'tainted' comes into place.

icyflamez96

Oct 26, 2017
Looking at the replies. Are we asking who's the btter mascot or who just has the better game?

I honestly hate them being put up against each other in such a way. Lol with these polls usually hate the "both" copout, but man, GET BEHIND THEM BOTH. Sackboy is an awesome mascot design and Astrobot is making a great splash with the quality of those games (seemingly so for the new PS5 one as well). His design is also has great mascot potential.

Fuck, put iota in there too. I think Sony should really lean into making those whimsical mascots "iconic".

The reveal of the new LBP game got a HUGE pop for me. Since dreams became a thing, a full fledged 3D LBP platformer (without creation because Dreams) was a dream scenario for me. Sackboy can't be left by the wayside and I don't like the vibe of this thread implying that one of them has to.

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
Astrobot obviously fits into Sony's modernistic PS5 marketing material like a glove.

Sacknoy does not.

Menchi

Oct 28, 2017
UK
I like both. Sackboy was such a "missed opportunity" from a merchandising PoV - They could have sold your custom design (From in-game) like a Build-a-Bear kinda thing... Maybe that was just me though. I liked my Sackboy!

sibarraz

Prophet of Regret - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Astrobot because he kinda resembles a PS5 while LBP were some games overhyped at his moment by his fans while I got dissapointed each time that I tried it

Oct 25, 2017
Feel like Astrobot is much more of a mascot with its games usually being included with the system or being built around new hardware like the PSVR or Dual Sense. Sackboy can be its own thing, really only a mascot in that it has costumes from other games.

DarthBuzzard

Banned
Jul 17, 2018
In terms of pure mascot flavor and ignoring games, Sackboy. Despite his simplicity, he's very unique and can be dressed up a thousand different ways. Astro Bot is very cute, but also feels a bit generic in design.

KAMI-SAMA

Banned
Aug 25, 2020
The feeling of joy LBP gave me when I first played it is hard to replicate. So I lean towards Sackboy. But picked whynotboth?

hydruxo

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
I think they're both pretty boring and I don't have any attachment to either one. Give me Ratchet & Clank over both of them.

Iichter

Oct 29, 2017
PlayStation's mascot is their line-up of story driven exclusives, character mascots are dead since 2004

Cannon_Fodder

Oct 27, 2017
I've never played a game with Astrobot and I still really like him, so if that's a metric for "mascot" then mission accomplished.

TripleBee

Prophet of Truth
Oct 30, 2017
Vancouver
I haven't played astro bot, so hard to fully be sure. But from a surface level I feel like they're the same character. Like at the end of astrobot you'd take off the helmet Metroid style and I'd be sackboy under there.