• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Loudninja

Oct 27, 2017
PushSquare
We're only a couple of worlds in, but we haven't smiled this much since, well, when we played Astro's Playroom about 10 days ago. Sony's on fire, eh? No but seriously, with Media Molecule moving on to Dreams, we thought LittleBigPlanet had been put out to pasture. And it has – in a way. See, this has all of the charm of the Guildford developer's PlayStation 3 classic, but it's been given a Super Mario 3D World makeover.

The result is remarkable. Not only does this game look the part – it's running at a flawless 60 frames-per-second, with razor-sharp textures and even some raytracing – but it's just a joy to play. Where the old LittleBigPlanet games were criticised for their floaty platforming, Sackboy is much more responsive here, with a Luigi-esque double-jump and a Metroid-inspired roll ability.

Levels start out straight-forward enough, but the developer quickly introduces new ideas to freshen things up. In one stage, you must outrun the Abominable Showman in a Crash Bandicoot-style "run towards the camera" chase sequence; another sees you herding critters in order to unlock prize bubbles. There's even one stage where you need to use a shuriken to scythe down reeds.

Much like with Astro's Playroom, we don't want to give too much away, but there's some outstanding licensed music here which is incorporated into some levels like in the PlayStation 3-era Rayman games; you'll be grinning from ear-to-ear once you realise what the studio's doing. And everything's tied together by a hub world, which is delightfully interactive in itself.

Destructoid 8/10
Bring your family and friends into your playthrough and have a blast. Or play by yourself. It doesn't really matter, as Sumo Digital has once again tapped into the essence of what makes this series so special. It's innocent, it's fun, and it feels unique. We need more games like it, even if they don't push the genre forward...which is by no means a requirement.
https://www.destructoid.com/stories/review-sackboy-a-big-adventure-609877.phtml

AndroidCentral 4.5/5
A Big Adventure is basically just the PlayStation version of Super Mario 3D World and that's totally fine. The 3D platformer is a genre that's been underserved for far too long so between this and Astro's Playroom, PlayStation gamers are in for a real treat. Despite the cutesy graphics and highly-animated dress-up characters, Sackboy is a platformer that is absolutely deserving of a place in any gamer's library that enjoys the genre or has children and/or someone to play co-op with.
www.androidcentral.com

Sackboy: A Big Adventure for PS5 review — LittleBig 3D platformer

Sackboy: A Big Adventure is another standout launch title for the PS5. It's clear that this iconic character can become a mascot of sorts for the console.

GameSpew 9/10
Sackboy: A Big Adventure is an unexpected pleasure. Overshadowed by the likes of Spider-Man: Miles Morales and Demon's Souls in Sony's launch line-up, it's gone far beyond our expectations – to play it is to love it. An immaculately made 3D platformer with huge amounts of charm, if you're after something that will never fail to put a smile on your face you ought to consider picking it up alongside your PS5. With its cutesy looks, responsive controls and oodles of imagination, Sackboy: A Big Adventure goes further than ever to make Sackboy the PlayStation mascot he deserves to be.
www.gamespew.com

Sackboy: A Big Adventure Review – GameSpew

Sackboy: A Big Adventure gives the knitted hero a chance to shine, and he firmly grabs it with both hands.

GamesRadar
Just because it has a crafty theme, doesn't mean that Sackboy: A Big Adventure isn't an absolute stunner on PS5. The textures and colors on display are enough eye candy to give you cavities, from the fuzz on Sackboy's fabric skin to the glittering, confetti-filled water. The scrapbooking world created by Media Molecule for Little Big Planet is lovingly updated here, and you'll see every tuft of fur on a tiger costume, every bump on a leather surface, every crinkle on a cardboard banana.

I've only spent a day with Sackboy so far, and it's hard to think of a game that has delivered so much joy in such a short time. The platforming strikes that perfect balance between challenging and fun, using all sorts of ingenious tricks - motion control platforms, grappling hooks, herding small creatures, planting seeds - to keep things fresh. This is bumping up to the top of my PS5 must-play list alongside Spider-Man: Miles Morales, and it's hard to imagine how it could ruin it, beyond Sackboy suddenly declaring he's a Trump supporter. Keep an eye out for our full review once we've spent more time as a sweet little sackcloth boy in a tiger costume.

The Gamer 3.5/5
Sackboy: A Big Adventure is a decent platforming game that's stuffed with charm, if a little lacking in imagination, which is a shame for a franchise built on creativity. Saying that, if you've got children, this is a must-buy for some family-friendly PS5 fun.

SpazioGames 8.1
Sackboy is a smart and colorful platform game, filled with fun moments and loyal to its LittleBigPlanet's roots.
www.spaziogames.it

Sackboy: Una Grande Avventura | Recensione PS5 - Il bello dei platform

Il nuovo viaggio di Sackboy firmato da Sumo Digital è un'avventura colorata che strizza l'occhio ai film di animazione: ci abbiamo giocato su PS5

Power Up 8/10
Yes, I miss the ability to make complex levels with way too many obviously phallic structures in them. Who wouldn't? But the spirit of hunting down an ever-increasing selection of costume bits for my surprisingly customisable and emotive Sackpeoples still makes for a great little game. While I don't think the forthcoming
Ratchet & Clank has anything to worry about at this stage, yeah, Sackboy delivers some damn good jumpy-jumpy material.
powerup-gaming.com

Sackboy: A Big Adventure Review (PS5) – Shines when played with a tight-knit group of mates - PowerUp!

We find ourselves in an odd situation with Sackboy: A Big Adventure, a real brow knitter. You see, as a full-blown AAA 3D platformer it's up against the unlikeliest of competitors on PS5 – a pack-in game called Astro's Playroom. The latter had no business being as excellent as it was, but yeah...

Gamereactor UK - 8/10
What I will say about Sackboy: A Big Adventure is that I spent a considerable amount of time with this title and whilst it never left me jaded, I was left feeling a little lost at times. The gameplay is tight, easy to understand, great for all audiences, and the storyline, soundtrack, and world design is fantastic, as you would expect from a Little Big Planet game. Are there areas I wish would return? Without a shadow of a doubt, but does this give me hope for a brilliant future with Sackboy at the helm? Yes. Yes, it does.
www.gamereactor.eu

Sackboy: A Big Adventure - Review

Take control of the loveable Sackboy to see if you're made of the right material to save Craftworld.

TheSixthAxis 7/10
Sackboy: A Big Adventure starts off slow, feeling like a hollow reflection of the franchise, but eventually grows into its new 3D platforming elements. It's at its best when it blends the new with the old, when there's power-ups, side-scrolling and a meaningful challenge, but it takes a bit too long to get it together.
www.thesixthaxis.com

Sackboy: A Big Adventure Review | TheSixthAxis

KindaBigPlanet

Eurogamer Italy 8/10
The Big Adventure starts slowly, very slowly. Then, from nowhere, it starts going completely crazy, bringing together art, music and challenge, building a perfect experience for its target audience.
www.eurogamer.it

Sackboy: Una Grande Avventura - recensione

Sackboy: Una Grande Avventura inaugura una nuova stagione di platform su next-gen. Ecco la nostra recensione per PS5!

Screenrant 4/5
Sackboy: A Big Adventure is a huge title for both PlayStation 4 and, more importantly, PS5. It's a first look at how games developed to work on both last-gen and current-gen will be adapted to that challenge, and in this, Sackboy: A Big Adventure appears to shine - although we only got to try it on PS4 for this review. This 10-12 hour adventure's humor, quirky personality, and entertaining gameplay offer tons for those looking for a fun family experience this holiday season. While it's harder than ever to bring people together, this is an experience that should be shared, so waiting for the online patch to release would be the right move.
screenrant.com

Sackboy: A Big Adventure Review: Sackboy's Greatest Adventure Yet

A great new spin on Sackboy's charm.

MGG Spain 7.5
Simple but yet fun platformer that doesn't want to do nothing new, but manages to entertain if it's played with friends. Easy and uncomplicated proposal that could have been much better with a bit more ambition. Just imagine a LittleBigPlanet game without its creativity side, add 3D levels, furry graphics and some excellent musical levels. That's what this game is.
es.millenium.gg

Análisis de Sackboy: Una aventura a lo grande para PS5 y PS4, con precio, fecha y detalles

Sumo Digital se atreve a tomar el relevo con Sackboy, una de las mascotas de PlayStation en los últimos años, para presentarnos una aventura desenfadada pero sin demasiada miga que llega a tiempo para el lanzamiento de PS5, pero también estará en PS4.

4players.de 85 (Ps4) /86 (Ps5)
www.4players.de

Sackboy: A Big Adventure - Test, Plattformer

Als Media Molecule im Jahr 2008 (!

Vandal 8.3
vandal.elespanol.com

Análisis Sackboy Una aventura a lo grande, una sorpresa muy agradable

Un genial plataformas para disfrutar en solitario o en compañía que si bien no es muy original demuestra mucho talento y cariño en una aventura muy generosa.

Video Chums 9.3
I can't stress enough how fun-filled and wonderful the world within Sackboy: A Big Adventure is as it's bursting with detailed and colourful environments, awesome music, and a delightful cast of characters. On top of that, I found myself regularly laughing out loud as I played because watching Sackboy cling to a rocket only to have it quickly take off and explode or posing your character in silly ways after you beat a level before your partner inevitably smacks you is simply hilarious. I mean, the gameplay is excellent on its own and with so many optional challenges to master and goodies to discover, you'll spend a lot of time within its wondrous world. Also, amassing a wealth of currency only to splurge on costumes, emotes, and facial expressions adds a layer of personality to it all in a brilliant way. I think the only downside is that some of the hidden goodies are a bit too hidden which made me and my chum scratch our heads at a few points.
videochums.com

Sackboy: A Big Adventure Review

It's been quite a while since Sackboy has starred in a new game and this Big Adventure is perhaps his most enjoyable journey so far.

Areajugones 8.2
Sackboy stars in a fun adventure that, given the nature of the gameplay, at times tends to become repetitive. Nevertheless, we are dealing with a game worthy of such a popular character that the lovers of platform-games will enjoy.
areajugones.sport.es

Análisis Sackboy: Una aventura a lo grande para PS5

¡Bienvenidos una vez a un mundo lleno de fantasía y color!

VG247 8/10
Sackboy: A Big Adventure isn't the most attention-grabbing PS5 launch title. It's fair to say it's been completely overshadowed by Demon's Souls and Spider-Man: Miles Morales, but it offers a wonderfully crafted alternative to what are more mature titles. Sony is on a roll with the PS5, with Sackboy: A Big Adventure being yet another title PS5 buyers should seriously consider adding to their collection.
www.vg247.com

Sackboy: A Big Adventure review - Seriously, Sony delivers another brilliant PS5 launch title

This 3D platformer is also on PS4, but it looks and feels lovely on the shiny new PS5.

Hardcore Gamer 8/10
The story isn't anything special and chocked to the brim with cliches, but a solid voice cast combined with great level design will keep you playing the entire length. While playable solo, Sackboy is best when played co-op, and unfortunately at launch, co-op options are limited. As a complete experience, though, Sackboy: A Big Adventure is a fun platforming adventure that'll leave you with a smile on your face.
hardcoregamer.com

Review: Sackboy: A Big Adventure - Hardcore Gamer

Media Molecule's fame stems from two things: their excellent creation tools and Sackboy. The adorable champ's been hopping around since 2008, but his

Game Informer 8/10
The visual upgrade on PS5 is hard to ignore, with Sumo Digital displaying a mastery of recreating materials. Subtle and impressive lighting effects add an additional layer of believably to physical objects such as fabric, metals, and other surfaces – and even the nearly invisible wisps of fuzz on Sackboy's head. Even though the fidelity isn't quite as sharp on PS4, a strong overall aesthetic direction makes it still look appealing on the aging hardware. DualSense implementation makes for another strong case to play on PS5 if at all possible. The controller's haptics and adaptive triggers are put to great use, mimicking the sensation of walking on different surfaces and hoisting heavy objects. Regardless of what version you pick up, you'll be setting off on a joyous and satisfying journey. But if you have a choice, the PS5 version is the clear winner here.
www.gameinformer.com

Sackboy: A Big Adventure Review - Sackboy: A Big Adventure Review – A Delightful Companion Piece - Game Informer

It doesn’t reinvent the genre, but Sackboy: A Big Adventure is a wonderful platformer that takes what’s come before, sprinkles in its trademark aesthetic, and shakes things up enough to feel fresh and exciting.

Hobby Consolas 7.8
Sackboy is a fun adventure for everyone, easy to play and difficult to master, and it also works as a demonstration of some Dualsense capabilities, but we miss the creative side of Little Big Planet and more unique mechanics (such as the musical levels).
www.hobbyconsolas.com

Análisis Sackboy Una aventura a lo grande para PS5 y PS4

Review con nota de Sackboy Una aventura a lo grande, un juego de plataformas 3D para PS5 y PS4, con modo multijugador cooperativo y una enorme variedad de niveles.

Gamer.nl 7.5
Sackboy: A Big Adventure is the ultimate family platformer and therefore an excellent launch game. You can buy this without thinking twice if you have kids. But young and old are going to enjoy A Big Adventure. Take the traditional platforms for granted now and then and you will get a big smile in return.
gamer.nl

Sackboy: A Big Adventure is ongekend charmant | Review | Gamer.nl

Sackboy: A Big Adventure is de ultieme gezinsplatformer en daarmee een uitstekende lanceringsgame. Je kunt dit zonder na te denken kopen als je kinderen hebt. Maar jong én oud gaan van A Big Adventure genieten. Neem het traditionele platformen af en toe voor lief en je krijgt er bij vlagen een grote

Gameblog.fr 6/10
Sackboy: A Big Adventure is a beautiful yet very classic platformer. Sumo Digital delivers a decent game mostly made for children : with a repetitive gameplay and a lack of real challenge, it still offers to a younger audience an unharmful and colorful adventure. Too bad the DualSense wasn't used more on PS5.
www.gameblog.fr

TEST de Sackboy A Big Adventure (PS5) : La plate-forme pour les enfants sages

Il fut un temps pas si lointain où jamais une console n'aurait osé sortir sans dégainer un incontournable jeu de plate-forme, un genre qui ne fait et défait plus les carrières, mais qui reste toujours présent sur la photo de famille, en vétéran sûr de son rang, malgré une perte d'influence...

PlayStation Universe 9.5
An astounding triumph of imagination, Sackboy: A Big Adventure isn't just one of the best platformers ever made, it's also a proper highlight of the PlayStation 5 launch line-up that is steeped in such fun and free wheeling creativity, that it deserves to be mentioned in the same breath as other PlayStation platforming heroes such as Jak & Daxter and Ratchet & Clank.
www.psu.com

Sackboy: A Big Adventure Review (PS5) - PlayStation Universe

Sackboy's got a new game and find out in our Sackboy: A Big Adventure PS5 review why it's one of the best platformers we have ever played.

Multiplayer.it 8/10
A good platform game for the whole family that fits perfectly in the PS5 line up.
multiplayer.it

Sackboy: A Big Adventure, la recensione

Meno appariscente di altri titoli della line up di lancio di PS5, Sackboy: A Big Adventure regala agli appassionati di platform un'esperienza allegra e divertente, con alcune interessanti divagazioni...

Press Start Australia 8/10
Sackboy: A Big Adventure is the hessian hero's best outing yet. Tighter platforming controls and a fresh perspective go a long way to reinvigorating the franchise, and it helps that the whole thing is positively stuffed with charm from beginning to end. Levels that feel lonely when played solo, and worse, levels that aren't accessible at all in single player dampen the experience, but not enough for platforming fans to dismiss it. If you've just brought home a shiny new PlayStation 5 there's also a lot here to showcase what the console is capable of in both visuals and the user experience, making it well worth considering as part of your launch library. Viva la Sackboy!
press-start.com.au

Sackboy: A Big Adventure Review – A Little Big Breakthrough

Sackboy: A Big Adventure Review – A Little Big Breakthrough

Metro GameCentral 7/10
Another gorgeous looking first party PS5 game, with some fun and imaginative platforming, but even with four players at once it lacks that certain spark that would've made it a true launch essential.
metro.co.uk

Sackboy: A Big Adventure review - reinstated mascot

The star of LittleBigPlanet returns in a new 3D platformer that sports four-player local co-op and some of the best visuals on the PS5.

Digitally Downloaded 7/10
I don't want to take anything away from Sackboy: A Big Adventure. Platformers are one of the genres I am least inclined towards, and were it not part of a (fairly limited) launch range on the PlayStation 5, I might not have been inclined to play Sackboy at all. I am glad that I did, though, because for pure whimsy and quality level design it's a real challenge to Nintendo at its best in this genre, and that's no mean feat. Just don't go in expecting the same qualities that made the LittleBigPlanet series itself so beloved.

Console Creatures Recommended
Sackboy: A Big Adventure
is the perfect starter for anyone who owns a PlayStation 5 or even if you're still on PlayStation 4. Whether you decide to save Craftsworld on your own or with some friends, this game is a blast. Bustling with tons of details and colourful locations for you to make your way through, Sumo Digital has delivered a game that's so enchanting and stunning, it's hard not to smile. PlayStation 5's launch lineup is proving to be one of the best lineups, ever and Sackboy: A Big Adventure is an immaculate game brimming with love and charm, paired with responsive controls and great DualSense implementation. Regardless of what version you pick up, you can't go wrong with your choice.
www.consolecreatures.com

Review: Sackboy: A Big Adventure | Console Creatures

Sackboy: A Big Adventure is the perfect starter for anyone who owns a PlayStation 5 or even if you're still on PlayStation 4. Bustling with tons of details and colourful locations for you to make your way through, Sumo Digital has delivered a game that’s so enchanting and stunning, it’s hard not...

Last edited:

Serene

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Sounds great. I was already on the fence about grabbing it for launch and these impressions might just push me over that edge.

Winstano

Editor-in-chief at nextgenbase.com
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
It's absolutely adorable. I'd be wary of any reviews out this early (code went out under 24hrs ago) but it's really enjoyable from what I've played so far :)

Tiago Rodrigues

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 15, 2018
I still think it's weird how Sony didn't deliver this and Demon's Souls to reviewers at the same time as Miles Morales and Astrobot...but oh well. I'm sure it going to turn out great!

Deleted member 58141

user requested account closure
Banned
Jun 23, 2019
It's pretty great. Certainly the most fun I had with a PS5 launch title. The platforming is tight and the ideas are varried enough.

My only issue with it is that it's more on the shorter side, but that's only because I wanted more.

JamboGT

Vehicle Handling Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
My colleagues at Sheffield doing the work! Can't wait to try it out :)

Wollan

Mostly Positive
Oct 25, 2017
Norway but living in France
PS5 launch-lineup is on fire.

Pathless.
Bugsnax.
Sackboy.
Spider-Man Miles Morales.
Astro's Playroom.
Demon's Souls.

Not counting big multiplatform games like Dirt 5, COD, AC Valhalla etc.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
Shit - ok I'm in. Mainly just looking for confirmation it performs well enough and is fun to play - the rest was already my kind of thing

just Dirt 5 PS5 impressions pending

I need to try and spread these out - Astro day 1, then Sackboy and bugsnax also in a similar vein for me

Deleted member 44129

User requested account closure
Banned
May 29, 2018
The Gamesradar review in progress says they think they heard the Futurama music. This sounds like the game actually contains Psyche Rock, which is a perfect fit for the LBP universe.

BlackBoyFly

Oct 12, 2020
So looking like the games I'll be playing during launch will be.

Spider-Man MM Ultimate Edition
SackBoy
BugsSnax
ASTRO.

Definitely the most wholesome group of games I'll be playing at one time since I was a kid in the PS1 era.

Actually feels good, I'll be able to sit down with my little cousins and play those games. Looking forward to it. Hopefully Sony does keep a decent stream of E rated content flowing this Gen. Can't wait to play Sackboy and hear some more about it.

Osahi

Oct 27, 2017
Only got my code yesterday and I'm only in the third world so far, but I'm having a lot of fun with it. The first moments didn't click for me as it does play different from LBP and Sackboy's running speed feels a tad slow after Astro's Playroom, but it quickly picks up pace with very cool and original levels and a shit ton of charming atmosphere.

The best parts are the musical levels, which like Rayman Legens have the levels react to the beat of famous pop-songs. It's not as tight as in Rayman, where it was basically an endless runer style of level every time so they could really time your actions to the song, but it did bring a huge smile on my face every time.

Bede-x

Oct 25, 2017
Very much looking forward to this. People wanting more 3D platformers, as with Crash 4, now is the time to show your support.

Last edited:

Raikkonen94

Oct 4, 2019
Sounds very good, will definitely pick it up down the line. Still wondering whether LBP3 is playable on PS5 without too much limitations, as it is labeled as "bootable" for PS5. Would make for a good preparation for this game.

Maybe_its_Cthulhu

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I'm looking forward to this and got it pre-ordered already, has there been any talk of customisation or level creation in the title?