• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

catpurrcat

Oct 27, 2017
Sackboy came out with the PS5 launch.

Since then, it's received online multiplayer (mid-Dec), got lots of love in user reviews on Meta and Amazon, and had to be compared to the free Astro's Playroom, and Mario 3D World (now that it's on a console people actually have).
So...in a post 3D World world, after Astro, Crash 4, and with all the updates, does it stand among the 3D platforming greats?

Master Chuuster

GamingBolt.com
Verified
Dec 14, 2017
I don't think it was ever a "platforming great", but it's still a really good, really charming game that deserves more attention. Sony sent it out to die with that $70 price, which is a real shame, because it's a really, really good game.

Last edited:

Gitaroo

Nov 3, 2017
I would say yes.doesnt break new ground but it's a nicely designed platformer

criteriondog

I like the chili style
Oct 26, 2017
Yes, it's an incredible game, and I played 98% solo, outside of the buddy levels. Got the platinum too! Highly recommend the game. It's a blast and pretty chaotic in co-op. All levels can be played with four players, too.

PlayBee

One Winged Slayer
Nov 8, 2017
It's alright. I greatly prefer the other three games you mentioned.

Plax

Nov 23, 2019
I don't think it's a platforming great. But it's definitely a cut above most 3D platformers.

Well worth a playthrough.

BizzyBum

Oct 26, 2017
New York
I wouldn't put it "among the greats", but it was a super solid 3D platformer and launch game, to boot.

Hope we see a sequel.

Lord Fanny

Banned
Apr 25, 2020
It was okay. I found it kind of overrated tbh, but I enjoyed my time with it and got it on the cheap.

I don't think it was ever a "platforming great", but it's still a really good, really charming game that deserves more attention. Sony sent it out to die with that $70 price, which is a real shame, because it's a really, really good game.

It was a crossgen, so it was $60

OP
OP
catpurrcat

catpurrcat

Oct 27, 2017
www.resetera.com

PSA: Sackboy: A Big Adventure is really really really good.

This has been one of my biggest gaming surprises lately. Im constantly looking for good Co op games with the girlfriend with mixed results, but Sackboy knocked it out of the park. I only thought the Little Big Planet games were ok, but this game is fantastic. The platforming is fun, the ost is...

Um yeah, that thread is from 3 months ago Sam... I do appreciate you posting it though. But the purpose of this thread is to compare it against Mario 3D, and now that the multiplayer update has been in place since mid December to see what impressions are like.

SolidSnakex

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, I think 3D Mario's are a cut above any other platformers. But Sackboy definitely slots in with the likes of the other games you mentioned. It's extremely good. The only issue I really had with it was platforming involving jumping and attaching to those spinning sponge surfaces. For whatever reason it seems like the physics were glitchy there and sometimes you'd attach to it and other times you wouldn't. But luckily those are few and far between.

After the honeymoon phase passed, I still think it's really good. It has some really amazing level design, creative stuff.

It's a little thin on content compared to bigger platformers out there. It's also a little too easy to get perfect runs on levels until the last few stages, dampening replayability.

Vertpin

Oct 27, 2017
It's absolutely incredible. It rivals Super Mario 3D World. It's that good. Do not sleep on it. Me and my twin brother got the platinum trophy each.

Adam_Roman

Oct 25, 2017
I like it, and it wasn't even on my radar before launch. My girlfriend played it at her friend's house back around release and loved it so I got her a copy and her own PS5 controller as part of her Christmas present. The co-op is a lot more enjoyable to me than 3D World's co-op, it feels much less hectic and like you can actually benefit from having multiple people rather than having everyone else kind of drag you down. As something to play an hour or two of every week, it's really nice.

The story's not amazing but the cutscenes look cool at least. I actually had to look up the casting for Vex because I thought it was Dan Castellaneta because of how much he sounds like the robot devil in Futurama.

Tycho Kepler

Unshakable Resolve
Apr 22, 2018
Great soundtrack, and definitely a good family-friendly game if you're looking for something couch co-op and only have a PS4/5.

I think the biggest thing holding it a step below Mario 3D World is the speed. Sackboy feels sluggish by comparison.

Grug

Oct 26, 2017
I feel like Sony really did Sackboy dirty on PS5 by laucnhing it against the free and pre-installed Astrobot's Playroom which was charming as all fuck and scratched everyone's platforming itch at launch.

It's the reason I haven't played Sackboy yet. And at this point, I'll probably just wait until it eventually hits PS Plus.

If they had dropped it on us about now I think there would be more anticipation for it, but I get why they wanted it out on PS4 by Xmas.

MDSVeritas

Gameplay Programmer, Sony Santa Monica
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I enjoyed the hell of it yeah. They made the most of the level-based structure in making some really cool ideas and mechanics specifics to one or two levels and there were some levels I'd be playing through and just be totally wowed by some of the things that would show up. Maybe not groundbreaking but an absolutely fantastic launch title.

I feel like Sony really did that game dirty on PS5. $70 dollar price tag and released alongside the free, pre-installed Astrobot's Playroom which was charming as all fuck and scratched everyone's platforming itch at launch.

It's the reason I haven't played Sackboy yet. And at this point, I'll probably just wait until it eventually hits PS Plus.

As some others have pointed out, it launched on both platforms at $60. And while Astro's Playroom is incredible it's still quite short, and I actually like that Sackboy and Astro go for different kind of platformers in how they lay out their level design, collectables and mechanics.

Oct 25, 2017
No, it starts out okay, but the game gets extremely frustrating later on. The developer's idea of difficulty is forced scrolling and vehicle levels, so there are a ton of those as you approach the ending. I also don't like how much of the game requires you to play in multiplayer.

Tribal24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I feel like Sony really did that game dirty on PS5. $70 dollar price tag and released alongside the free, pre-installed Astrobot's Playroom which was charming as all fuck and scratched everyone's platforming itch at launch.

it Didn't release at $70 though

gdt

Oct 26, 2017
It's been a couple of months, so I think k I'll snatch it up on sale, at least after I play 3D World

Macca

Oct 25, 2017
Bought it yesterday and it's a very good game. Extremely charming and just a really fun platformer.

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I wouldn't be surprised if its a PS+ game before the end of the year.

Haikira

Dec 22, 2017
Northern Ireland
I've only played a few hours so far, in coop with my fiancé; but I'm loving it, much more than the original Little Big Planet games to tell the truth. I like that it's retained the pleasant style of the previous games, but more importantly that it controls so much better and tighter.

If anyone hasn't played it, and is a fan of Super Mario 3D World, don't hesitate to try it.

VanWinkle

Oct 25, 2017
I love it. Having played both, and replayed a bunch of levels in both, I think it's honestly at least just as good as 3D World (which it is essentially a copy of, other than the aesthetics). I also think that it has a better difficulty ramp than 3D World, even if I would prefer it be more difficult in the beginning worlds.

EggmaniMN

Banned
May 17, 2020
I liked it plenty. I don't think I'd go back to replay the entire game like I do with 3D World but I mean, it's hard to be as good as one of the greatest platformers ever made. It's definitely the best game starring Sackboy and the best non-VR platformer Sony's had in a really long time.

iswasdoes

Nov 13, 2017
Londinium
It felt super average to me personally. I got as far as the uptown funk level. Perfectly fine, but something kinda soulless about it. Had no desire to go back but perhaps I will force myself to give it more time as it seems to get a lot of love

AIan

Oct 20, 2019
Got it as a gift, but only played through 2 levels. Seems nice and I love the art style. But it falls under the same issue I had with Dreams in that it seems to "kidsy" where it's like the game is *trying* to appeal to kids instead of adults, whereas Mario games for example try to appeal to everybody of all ages.

J_ToSaveTheDay

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Um yeah, that thread is from 3 months ago Sam... I do appreciate you posting it though. But the purpose of this thread is to compare it against Mario 3D, and now that the multiplayer update has been in place since mid December to see what impressions are like.

Mario 3D World is a better game. But also, Mario 3D World had already been out for 7 years when Sackboy came out and Sackboy still held up as a good game after the better part of a decade head start.

If you like platformers, it's worth a shot.

If you worry about how it holds up to a port of a 7-year-old game with an added new game that plays very differently from Sackboy, wait for a sale.

Mecha

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Honduras
You do realize that 3D World is an old game right?

On topic. I'm currently on World 3 and it's truly a great game, definitely some levels are a cut above others but it feels snappy, loads fast, it's beautiful and has amazing music. So I say it stacks very well with other platformers like it. Great work overall by Sumo.

Deleted member 1839

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

TBH it's better than Odyssey and 3D world.

OP
OP
catpurrcat

catpurrcat

Oct 27, 2017
You do realize that 3D World is an old game right?

On topic. I'm currently on World 3 and it's truly a great game, definitely some levels are a cut above others but it feels snappy, loads fast, it's beautiful and has amazing music. So I say it stacks very well with other platformers like it. Great work overall by Sumo.

Yes, per the OP: "Mario 3D World (now that it's on a console people actually have)"

Trust me, you don't want peoples opinions who only had the Wii U. They are a strange bunch who treat everything as 10/10 (ironically 3D World is probably as close to a 10 for a platform as it gets)

I love your description of the music and beauty, from the videos shown that seems to be what people are really enjoying. That nice marriage of music and platforming. Magic.

Outtrigger888

Oct 27, 2017
Started playing through it a week ago and really enjoying it. It's no where near 3D world so don't go in expecting that. It does t control anywhere near as tight as a 3D Mario game.