• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

8byte

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt-account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Kansas
Is there any reward for completing 100% of the game? Ie costumes, etc?

Bought this because I loved Astro's Playroom so much and wanted more. Played the first 3 levels just now, not really feeling it... Hope it gets better.

Is there no double jump in this? I went through the move list and couldn't find it. Feels like it's a staple in all 3D platformers.

Once you start learning the power of the roll and the dive, everything really opens up, and the last world is absolutely a platforming test of reflexes and endurance.

The game has a great ramp, no the knitted knight trials are fantastic. It absolutely gets better. Have you played any of the music levels yet?

SixelAlexiS

Oct 27, 2017
Italy
This game is such a bugged mess, now it doesn't let me earn the blue spheres on the speedrun levels, it must be because I've done them the first time while playing as a second account with my brother. Now I just got the gold here and I got no spheres:

IMG_20210103_205247.jpg

Sheng Long

Oct 27, 2017
Earth
Started this last night and it's pretty darn good. I think I like Astro better but this is still quite charming. Love the music and textures though.

8byte

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt-account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Kansas
This game is such a bugged mess, now it doesn't let me earn the blue spheres on the speedrun levels, it must be because I've done them the first time while playing as a second account with my brother. Now I just got the gold here and I got no spheres:

IMG_20210103_205247.jpg

This same thing has happened to me, super strange bug, not sure what causes it. For sure sucks tho. =\

SixelAlexiS

Oct 27, 2017
Italy
I've noticed coop overwrite single player progress before. Annoying but replaying the stage and recompleting the objective fixed it.
I've tried completing multiple times but no luck, he can't write any progress on that level.

I've done both. Mostly co-op with my wife, Solo a little to complete the platinum trophy.
I understand... my last chance is to play it again in co-op mode and see if I get it (from my brother account and me as a second player, like we did for the whole game).

But yeah, this game needed more months of work for sure. When I've unlocked the last boss on my account (that I had already beaten on co-op) the camera fu**ed up and zoomed the floor and the game got stuck, had to restart it.
The snapshot of my costumes aren't imported when I play solo, and at the end of the bells minigame I get a white square instead of my character image.
In the bells store I've always changed vertical category with L2 and R2 but in solo doesn't work, it's like L2/R2 inputs are combined with L1/R1, so you change the horizontal category and at the same time you go down of one vertical category for the next tab by pressing R2 for example.

Then you have gameplay bugs too like character refusing to grab the rotating stuff (the Sackboy just bounce on it and fall, a lot of no death runs wasted on that) or all the messy interactions that happen with 2 players, at one point by brother just disappeared from the game by accidentally jumping on my head.

We gave up on various trials that are clearly designed for one player since the biggest threat in those is the other player, like doing a roll finish with either the other player loosing control of the character for running on the rolling sackboy (completely useless mechanic that do only harm) or you bonk each other and fall.

Most of the game is clearly designed with two players in mind but when you get the more challenging parts like the trials and the secret world then playing in co-op is an huge pain, especially with this "mechanics" and the camera that can't handle two players that aren't glued together, and you can't play near the other player for the reasons I've explained.

I have a lot of videos of deaths due to those issues and it sucks the fun out of the game when happen because it's totally arbitrary and in a lot of cases you can't avoid it for how the levels are designed.

TMC

Oct 27, 2017
I've heard mentions of MP specific levels. Are only these levels eligible for online co-op or can I play the entire game in online co-op?

Last edited:

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Finished the story earlier. Loved it, especially the voice acting (I love how the LBP series gets some great British talent!)
Now I'm just wrapping up and completing every level perfectly, and yeah... that bloody last knitted knight mission kicked my ass for a few hours before I nailed it perfectly. If I'd known how much extra time I'd have at the end, I'd have taken it easier! Managed to finish with the best part of two minutes spare for the gold time!

Loved the game as a whole but I do have a couple of issues with game momentum/physics that had me fall off of platforms suspiciously :(

Oh, and amazing use of licensed music. One of the best games in that regard.

Bookman

Oct 27, 2017
So I bought this and started to play this weekend and I really like it. I have been a bit stressed out lately and I have started playing 3d plattformer like super Mario sunshine, yoshi's crafted world and recently new super lucky's tale and of course Astro's Playroom.

I have discovered that I don't have the patience or will to really max out this type of game. I enjoy a challenge but not super meatboy challenges right now.

So far Sackboy has been awesome. Great music and intressting gameplay and graphics. I do recall that some review (?) Or perhaps it was here , complain about some certain levels where really hard and that the degree of difficulty was a bit unbalanced. Just curious if that was something you noticed and if you think it's referring to some of the later challengers that are timed or if it's on the regular levels.

After playing Astro's Playroom I'm somewhat disappointed by the story. I get it, it's a cute child game, but i do feel a bit excluded when it feels like I'm playing a kids game. They could make it kids friendly but not like a bad kid movie. I'm not sure if I make any sense but I don't fell like that when I'm playing a mario game ( Astro's Playroom is perhaps the best example of a game thats both child friendly but actually directly aims towards adults, or at least someone with interest in Playstation history)
Not that just the story is that important in these games but I just wanted to vent.

Last edited:

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone looking to do the Co op levels? I need someone reliable to do the levels with as doing this with randoms is not working out well to put it mildly! My PSN is Ryu16

Dphex

Oct 27, 2017
Cologne, Germany
Finished the game, gotta say, started way better than it finished for me.

in the last third of the game the levels get increasingly boring and just badly designed. seems somewhat rushed and comes off as if they were running out of time. the "space world" was super annoying with this evil robot girl and in general, the game has just too many repetitive elements. the enemies are not varied enough and overall too easy.

i would give it a 7/10 in the end, looks charming, sounds charming but gameplay and game design could have been better for sure.

The Artisan

"Angels are singing in monasteries..."
Oct 27, 2017
Just got the limited edition version in the mail. It's cool that you get the free Ps5 upgrade but it's kind of annoying that the Ps4 version is the only way to get the limited. I would've rather had a physical copy of the Ps5 version, but the digital has its advantages.

John Harker

Knows things...
Oct 27, 2017
Santa Destroy
Hello. Just started playing. It's really wonderful! Reminds me of Tearwaway.

silly question, but... how do you unlock levels? Like, I just finished the the level in the first world with the Bruno Mars song, and the next one isn't open. I have like 30 blue orbs already! Let's go levels! My 3 year old is waiting haha

VanEpoch

Oct 29, 2017
Hello. Just started playing. It's really wonderful! Reminds me of Tearwaway.

silly question, but... how do you unlock levels? Like, I just finished the the level in the first world with the Bruno Mars song, and the next one isn't open. I have like 30 blue orbs already! Let's go levels! My 3 year old is waiting haha
The next level should unlock by completing the prior one, hope you didn't get a glitch.

jeelybeans

Oct 25, 2017
Would anyone be down for a weekend session unlocking everything in the co op levels? Now that there's online I really want to attempt 100 percent in this.

Nerun

Oct 30, 2017
Got it yesterday, but sadly my friend missed the deal, so I'm gonna wait with playing I guess. Got it (retail) for 19 Euro, so I think it will be worth it ;)

DisturbedSwan

Oct 25, 2017
Hampshire, UK.
Started this on Thursday night and haven't been able to put it down since, apparently put 17 hours into it when I checked my stats this morning 🤯 so yeah, safe to say it's a bit good.

The soundtrack is the real star of the game. They took the idea of the music levels from Rayman Origins and ran with it, safe to say they've absolutely nailed it here, every one I've played has been an absolute delight and had me nodding my head, tapping my feet and jigging along throughout, David Bowie's 'Just Dance' has to be the highlight so far. I think what is perhaps more impressive though is the subtlety to the soundtrack outside of the music levels, a futuristic level that has you hopping about on moving trains and hanging on to platforms has a remixed orchestral version of the Futurama theme tune playing for its duration and another a masterful version of Madonna's Material Girl. These masterful remixes occur quite often as well, they give a lot of the levels a really distinctive, unique feel and vibe to them, you can't help but grin like an idiot for the duration.

Reading the above paragraph you might assume that the music is a bit of a crutch or gimmick that the game falls on because the meat of the game - the platforming - isn't up to scratch. But it is superb in that aspect as well, it starts off easy at the beginning but the further you get into it it begins to show its claws, I really dig the time trials too. It may not feel as tight to control as something like Crash or Ori, Sackboy is a little floatier to control and has a flutter like Yoshi, he feels much more like Yoshi to control than a Mario as well for that matter.

What I struggle with in a lot of world/level-based platformers - most recently in Super Mario Galaxy - is that repetition sets in down to the nature of the game. In a session you can only really go from level to level so finishing one then seeing another ahead of you, it's sometimes easy (for me at least) to sigh and think 'well that's another one I have to do' but with the very best platformers of this type (Super Mario Galaxy 2 for example) there is so much variety and charm there that you don't know what to expect going in to the next level, it keeps you on your toes, keeps you guessing and makes you want to head into that next level. 'Just one more level' is the sign of an excellent platformer and that's exactly how I felt about this this morning, I had to drag myself off of it at 3:15am, it is truly superb.

I'm up to World 3 at the moment and unless this takes a dive in quality towards the end, this would've been right up there as one of my GOTY nominations for last year. What a game.

If anyone wants to play through some levels with me and do some of the MP Trophies feel free to add me on PSN, ID is the same as here but with a _ in the middle.

Last edited:

DisturbedSwan

Oct 25, 2017
Hampshire, UK.
Finished this last night, PSN says I've put about 40 hours into it but considering I leave it on pause for a bit during every session it's probably something like 35 hours. Absolutely loved it throughout but a bit of frustration did set in during Worlds 4 & 5.

You definitely see the games' teeth in the last couple of worlds, it was relatively straightforward difficulty-wise for the first 3 worlds but it definitely ramps up quite a bit in world 4 and 5. I do love a challenging platformer so these were a welcome treat, but I did find myself getting frustrated at times having to go through certain levels without dying to get the gold medal prize. These final two worlds don't have as much charm to them as the previous three, they're missing a certain something and the musical accompaniments aren't quite as good - aside from an awesome level set to Britney Spears' Toxic - which is why it ultimately dropped down a point for me in my scoring.

When I finished it it opened up a whole new bonus world so I'll make a start on that as soon as I've finished picking up a few more orbs from the World 5 levels. Speaking of World 5 levels I spent ages yesterday replaying the same level over and over again to get the high score for the Gold medal prize and finally managed it after about 90 minutes. Just before bed the missus fell asleep so I hopped on for an hour, managed to finish and gold medal 3 of the remaining 5 levels I have to do in World 5, crazy how easy these were compared to that other bloody stage, that's just the way it goes I guess.

I realised I neglected to speak about the Multiplayer side of this game in my previous post. It's bloody good! It's drop in, drop-out so you can either search for a game or just put yourself as a host, play a few levels and eventually someone will pop-in and join you. It's cross-platform as well so you can play with folks on PS4 also, it has led to a few bugs and disconnects though, a few times I've had to close the game down in the PS5 dashboard because it had just hung loading a level when in MP. But most of the time it works really well. It's just nice to jump in with a few people and run through a level with all the chaos another 1-3 Sackboy's brings, all hopping about collecting various bits and pieces, dying all over the shop, it's just good manic fun compared to when I'm on my own, concentrating, playing through a level seriously and picking up all the accoutrements. I've just been playing with randoms, but this would be such a fun game to go through with a friend or three.

Still undecided about whether to for the Plat in this. To be able to do so I have to finish another 8 levels without dying in Multiplayer - which seems a very difficult task - and to complete a amalgamation of all the different Time Trial courses patched together into one long course in under 10 minutes, with no checkpoints. Neither sound too appealing but I'll play through the bonus world, finish that and see how I feel from there.

Honestly such a fantastic game, it's a great value proposition with all the levels and MP shenanigans included as well, I don't think I would've had anywhere near as much fun with it at launch without the Online MP. Went to bed last night and couldn't stop thinking about it, the sign of a great game. This has honestly been the biggest surprise of the PS5 launch for me, I knew I'd love Miles and Demon's Souls but this has been a real treat.

DisturbedSwan

Oct 25, 2017
Hampshire, UK.
The Ripsnorter is no joke! Looks like my Plat run is over, I think I could do it in time but don't have the motivation to put the hours in at the moment.

Put about 3 hours in so far and have only got up to the stage after the spikes on one occasion.

DisturbedSwan

Oct 25, 2017
Hampshire, UK.
Is this a fun game to play solo?

Absolutely! It's a lot more chilled than the chaos of Multiplayer but you can take your time going through the levels, getting all the orbs and collectibles, trying for a high score and getting an ace (finishing a level without dying) much easier. The difficulty starts off quite gentle in the first two worlds then gradually ramps up from World 3 onwards, World 5 and the Bonus World can be pretty challenging at times.

I wish Sony would put this game on sale I wanna be the sackboy

It's well worth the £45/$60 asking price, put about 40 hours into it myself, definitely isn't a short game and great value for money. Can't recommend it enough.

I dont remember his name, if i were you id make a thread on the reddit LBP asking if someone can help u in coop! :)

Thanks, I tried Reddit but ended up getting help from someone on the PSTrophies forum in the end, the Platinum is now mine :D

Classicrock78

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
San Antonio
Absolutely! It's a lot more chilled than the chaos of Multiplayer but you can take your time going through the levels, getting all the orbs and collectibles, trying for a high score and getting an ace (finishing a level without dying) much easier. The difficulty starts off quite gentle in the first two worlds then gradually ramps up from World 3 onwards, World 5 and the Bonus World can be pretty challenging at times.

It's well worth the £45/$60 asking price, put about 40 hours into it myself, definitely isn't a short game and great value for money. Can't recommend it enough.

Thanks, I tried Reddit but ended up getting help from someone on the PSTrophies forum in the end, the Platinum is now mine :D
Aweome thanks will buy it now.

totofogo

Oct 29, 2017
Chicago
Weird bump but Ariana Grande just announced that this was the most recent game she beat in a live stream ahead of her new MV premiere lol

get that promo

Traxus

Spirit Tamer
Jan 2, 2018
Finished this last night, PSN says I've put about 40 hours into it but considering I leave it on pause for a bit during every session it's probably something like 35 hours. Absolutely loved it throughout but a bit of frustration did set in during Worlds 4 & 5.

You definitely see the games' teeth in the last couple of worlds, it was relatively straightforward difficulty-wise for the first 3 worlds but it definitely ramps up quite a bit in world 4 and 5. I do love a challenging platformer so these were a welcome treat, but I did find myself getting frustrated at times having to go through certain levels without dying to get the gold medal prize. These final two worlds don't have as much charm to them as the previous three, they're missing a certain something and the musical accompaniments aren't quite as good - aside from an awesome level set to Britney Spears' Toxic - which is why it ultimately dropped down a point for me in my scoring.

When I finished it it opened up a whole new bonus world so I'll make a start on that as soon as I've finished picking up a few more orbs from the World 5 levels. Speaking of World 5 levels I spent ages yesterday replaying the same level over and over again to get the high score for the Gold medal prize and finally managed it after about 90 minutes. Just before bed the missus fell asleep so I hopped on for an hour, managed to finish and gold medal 3 of the remaining 5 levels I have to do in World 5, crazy how easy these were compared to that other bloody stage, that's just the way it goes I guess.

I realised I neglected to speak about the Multiplayer side of this game in my previous post. It's bloody good! It's drop in, drop-out so you can either search for a game or just put yourself as a host, play a few levels and eventually someone will pop-in and join you. It's cross-platform as well so you can play with folks on PS4 also, it has led to a few bugs and disconnects though, a few times I've had to close the game down in the PS5 dashboard because it had just hung loading a level when in MP. But most of the time it works really well. It's just nice to jump in with a few people and run through a level with all the chaos another 1-3 Sackboy's brings, all hopping about collecting various bits and pieces, dying all over the shop, it's just good manic fun compared to when I'm on my own, concentrating, playing through a level seriously and picking up all the accoutrements. I've just been playing with randoms, but this would be such a fun game to go through with a friend or three.

Still undecided about whether to for the Plat in this. To be able to do so I have to finish another 8 levels without dying in Multiplayer - which seems a very difficult task - and to complete a amalgamation of all the different Time Trial courses patched together into one long course in under 10 minutes, with no checkpoints. Neither sound too appealing but I'll play through the bonus world, finish that and see how I feel from there.

Honestly such a fantastic game, it's a great value proposition with all the levels and MP shenanigans included as well, I don't think I would've had anywhere near as much fun with it at launch without the Online MP. Went to bed last night and couldn't stop thinking about it, the sign of a great game. This has honestly been the biggest surprise of the PS5 launch for me, I knew I'd love Miles and Demon's Souls but this has been a real treat.
I agree. I beat the game a few weeks ago but still play it almost daily just to pop into some multiplayer. It's a lot of fun.

It's just a shame the last world takes a nosedive in quality. The Vex levels are a dour mishmash of colors and materials, really not enjoyable to look at, and the music is almost nonexistent at times. The other worlds are on another level entirely.

Oct 31, 2017
This has been a lovely couples game for me. My girlfriend and I keep photo-bombing each other at the end of a level, and as someone who's only played Overcooked (two or three buttons) and Ace Attorney (no reflexes needed), she's doing a very good job! I didn't know how she'd work with a fully 3D space, going up and down, left and right, and additional button inputs, but she's actually doing very well and not dying over and over.

I don't know how long the game is (pretty sure we're in the first world), but we're in no rush. We're enjoying the ride. Very cool to get a couch co-op game like this at launch.

psynergyadept

Oct 26, 2017
pick this back up after playing some other titles; I cannot get over the "Uptown funk" level!!! loved every minute of it!!

SixelAlexiS

Oct 27, 2017
Italy

IMG_20210103_205247.jpg
Just wanted to say that the recent patch on PS4 has finally solved this bug and I can actually complete the game at 100% now. Sadly other bugs are still there (the L2-R2 categories switch is still broken in the costume store and other visual bugs due to co-op save), and other improvement weren't made, like vertical shadow under some object that should be needed to understand their position, see the orange bubble that start a mini bubbles series and more imporantly the times clocks, some of them are just there and you can't understand at what hight or position since the lack of drop shadow.
Even the character drop shadow isn't visible on some enemies and especially it used to completely disappear if used with some "neon" skin/color on character, now it seems less bugged at least and it show part of character shadow. I didn't encounter the grab bug either, but it's soon to say if it's fixed or not.
Not everything got fixed or improved, but at least I can finish to play this... better then nothing I guess.

The Artisan

"Angels are singing in monasteries..."
Oct 27, 2017
So I just beat the game. Or...most of it. It's cute and it's fun but for some reason I have the feeling I enjoyed playing LittleBigPlanet 1&2 more than this. The series definitely needed to make the jump to 3D, but having the camera follow the setting instead of your character made it really confusing to keep track of which Sackboy was your own a lot of the time. Some of the new mechanics didn't work too great either.

Also, I always kind of imagined Sackboy to have a voice similar to Elmo's maybe. It was that grunting noise he made in LBP before self-popping.