• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

krae_man

Master of Balan Wonderworld
Oct 25, 2017
I have the game 100%ed minus the coop stuff. I need a partner who is the same and wants the platinum.

Ogni-XR21

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
This update also gives you the ability to transfer your PS4 savegame to PS5. There's an option in the pause menu on PS4 to start the transfer (could not test it yet, still downloading PS4 version on PS5) according to the blog post.

Endymion

Oct 27, 2017
Can you do mixed local / online play, ie two people per console playing online together? Thinking about grabbing this as a Christmas present for some friends for us all to play together.

Bebpo

Feb 4, 2018
Tried out online. It was actually pretty fun. The chaos of throwing each other and jumping on each other and trying to solve puzzles together honestly feels more interesting and fun than the solo game. Only problem was I couldn't get anyone to join my game to do the very first mp level in world 1. Only was able to join a game doing MP levels late in the game. Was still fun, but will try hosting again tomorrow to see if anyone joins so I can try the first few multiplayer levels.

There was definitely some lag in the game I joined though. People kinda teleporting all over which made things a little iffy. They had it set to unlimited lives which is probably smart.

PlayBee

One Winged Slayer
Nov 8, 2017
Trying to Ace these multiplayer levels is going to be a nightmare with randoms

Bebpo

Feb 4, 2018
In online mode I have voice chat in settings OFF but every time there is a noise in my room the mic icon shows up on screen. Am I broadcasting sounds? Cause I curse a lot playing this.

Bebpo

Feb 4, 2018
Doing some multiplayer sessions, this game is so much better as a multiplayer game than a solo one imo. It's just way more fun and the puzzles and working together is a blast. Also these MP only levels are like tiny little levels, this is a lot of content that was hidden from solo.

But online is gonna be iffy too because I've already run into trollers who join the game and do everything they can to fuck everyone else out of dreamer orbs, clothes pieces and high scores. Just like playing along until suddenly murdering everyone midway or running ahead of the level killing everyone left behind. Yeah, you can kick people, but I feel like the quality of the community is gonna make or break this thing.

That said if you're playing online with friends this game seems like a blast in MP and the way the game is meant to be played.

manustany

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 27, 2017
The Space
I'm the only one here to have problems with the update? I'm playing on PS5 with a PS4 disc but the console can't find the update.
When I launched the game a few hours ago has download the new update but that was for the PS4 version, and when I selected the PS5 version, I checked for updates but all I got was an error message.

Osu 16 Bit

QA Lead at NetherRealm Studios
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago, IL
Maybe I am dumb but I am halfway into this game and still don't understand the lifebar. I get that the number in the center is lives but the white bar that circles it is confusing. I think it's how many hits you can take but sometimes it's halfway filled and I still die.

SolidSnakex

Oct 25, 2017
Maybe I am dumb but I am halfway into this game and still don't understand the lifebar. I get that the number in the center is lives but the white bar that circles it is confusing. I think it's how many hits you can take but sometimes it's halfway filled and I still die.

As far as I know the game doesn't have a lifebar in a traditional sense, or at least i've never noticed it. Once you take one hit you'll have a reddish glow to your Sackboy/girl until you either complete the level or hit a checkpoint in which that sets you back to full health (the reddish glow will go away). You die if you take another hit before you reach the finish or a checkpoint.

Osu 16 Bit

QA Lead at NetherRealm Studios
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago, IL
As far as I know the game doesn't have a lifebar in a traditional sense, or at least i've never noticed it. Once you take one hit you'll have a reddish glow to your Sackboy/girl until you either complete the level or hit a checkpoint in which that sets you back to full health (the reddish glow will go away). You die if you take another hit before you reach the finish or a checkpoint.

Oh lol. I've never even noticed the glow. So what's the white outline that changes?

SRTtoZ

Dec 8, 2017
I just started Sackboy since I platinumed Astrobot and damn is this game good. It feels and looks so good on the PS5 and I didn't even realize it would use haptics and the triggers. I wish they used haptics for the footsteps as well as everything else. I know it drains your battery hella fast like Astrobot but damn does it feel good. Love the music as well but LBP always did naile that so I'm not shocked that it's so good.

Chaystic

Mar 2, 2020
Switzerland
I just got the platinum for this and i'm so damn glad, that last knitted knight challenge was no joke.

I did it in 8 minutes (out of the 10 you need for gold) so time isn't that of an issue.

SixelAlexiS

Oct 27, 2017
Italy
Is it normal that in Sackboy a big adventure (PS4), when played in local coop, the game doesn't save the scoreboard points for the guest player once he load up the game from his account?
It feels like a bug since the other progress is saved, like the prize and ace badge, but not the score...

krae_man

Oct 25, 2017
Is it normal that in Sackboy a big adventure (PS4), when played in local coop, the game doesn't save the scoreboard points for the guest player once he load up the game from his account?
It feels like a bug since the other progress is saved, like the prize and ace badge, but not the score...

I did online coop to get the coop trophies and some of my point totals got overwritten.

I got 100% mastered which gives you a crown to wear. Then helped someone else get some trophies and then suddenly my mastered percentage dropped to 95. I look and the 3 levels that were no longer mastered were levels we played coop and I had silver or bronze now.

I think coop is bugged and will overwrite point totals sometimes.

BigTime_2018

Dec 31, 2018
Beat the Ripsnorter and got the Platinum.

My final thoughts on the game: it makes a strong first impression (as seen by my earlier posts in this thread), but it's ultimately hindered by bloat and unforgiveness. The level design itself is great, but the negatives outweigh that positive, unfortunately.

Alek

Games User Researcher
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Just got to the 4th world. I'm only playing this co op with my 8 year old and absolutely loving it.

I prefer it to Mario 3D world, although the controls are not as tight it's so much fun.

Same position here, playing it with my girlfriend.

In general reading this thread, I feel that that's the difference in impressions folks are posting. People who are playing it solo are having a hard time, and it's also in my opinion just a lot less fun and interesting solo.

In co-op, each level is packed with interactions and decision making with my partner. I don't mind playing the levels alone here and there, I did a few to backtrack and get some collectibles, but in general it's much better playing with another person, or more.

It's also just far easier. Die and you're not sent back to the checkpoint immediately. Odds are you'll very rarely get reset to checkpoint because one of you will make it through. Plus every 2x multiplier that comes up is much easier to capitalise on. We're finishing many levels with more than 1000 points above the cap.

For me this is hands down, the best co-op platforming experience we've had. Leagues beyond Mario and honestly the slower platforming even helps too, it's less chaotic and easier to stay in sync with each other in Sackboy. The skill difference between myself and my girlfriend makes less of a difference here, I'm not rushing through and leaving her behind.

SixelAlexiS

Oct 27, 2017
Italy
Do you have this same bug where the game doesn't give you bells if you replay a level? In our case it gives them only to the second player. First player is out of luck even if it plays alone... (PS4)

p.s. this game is quite bugged btw, not on LBP3 level but seems that Sumo Digital doesn't do proper testing with their games..

krae_man

Oct 25, 2017
Do you have this same bug where the game doesn't give you bells if you replay a level? In our case it gives them only to the second player. First player is out of luck even if it plays alone... (PS4)

p.s. this game is quite bugged btw, not on LBP3 level but seems that Sumo Digital doesn't do proper testing with their games..

Do you mean the Bells for getting say bronze and silver? Are you even supposed to get them more than once?

"Stickin with it" has 3 orbs with 20 Bells each in it a minute into the level. It's the fastest grinding available.

SixelAlexiS

Oct 27, 2017
Italy
Do you mean the Bells for getting say bronze and silver? Are you even supposed to get them more than once?

"Stickin with it" has 3 orbs with 20 Bells each in it a minute into the level. It's the fastest grinding available.
I think so, the game let you see the rewards every time and, as I said, when I play in local coop with my brother (as a second player) I get the bells every time we replay a level and get bronze/silver/gold (if one of this doesn't give you a prize bubble ofc).

When we play on my account instead, neither of us gets any bells when we replay a level.
I mean, the hud say to you that you have earned bells at the end of a level and the fact that almost anyone need a LOT of bells even finishing the game explain that this game have a major bug regarding this, since you are supposed to get bells by replaying levels (that gets natural by trying the no death run and such) and you got none in return.

What a shame :/

Deleted member 1627

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think so, the game let you see the rewards every time and, as I said, when I play in local coop with my brother (as a second player) I get the bells every time we replay a level and get bronze/silver/gold (if one of this doesn't give you a prize bubble ofc).

When we play on my account instead, neither of us gets any bells when we replay a level.
I mean, the hud say to you that you have earned bells at the end of a level and the fact that almost anyone need a LOT of bells even finishing the game explain that this game have a major bug regarding this, since you are supposed to get bells by replaying levels (that gets natural by trying the no death run and such) and you got none in return.

What a shame :/
Do you mean the currency to buy costumes or the currency to unlock levels?

Alek

Games User Researcher
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Hm, my gf and I are replaying stages and both earning bells (the costume currency) without issue. Must be a bug.

We did have an issue with the second player early on, where there save was wiped, but I don't know if we did something wrong. Either way they lose all their bells. My gf wasn't too annoyed by it at least.

SixelAlexiS

Oct 27, 2017
Italy
Do you mean the currency to buy costumes or the currency to unlock levels?
I'm talking about the "collectibells" (that should be the english name) and yes, It's the currency for unlocking costumes.
I'm playing the game on PS4 with my brother account as main and my personal account as second player (same console).
We both get those "bells" that you earn with bronze/silver/gold prize the first time we finish a level but my brother doesn't get any bells for successive runs. I get them everytime.
If he play solo on his account he still doesn't get it, same If I play solo on my account.
Basically in those cases we only get the bells the FIRST time we get the bronze/silver/gold prizes. If we finish a level for the first time at silver we both get the bells for bronze and silver, if we replay the same level and we get gold prize, then my brother only get the bells for gold and I get the bells for bronze/silver/gold.

Again, if I play the game on my account I get no bells, even if I don't even have any bronze/silver/gold on any level since the game doesn't save these type of progress if you play as a second account (another bug, since everything else is actually saved - eg no death run, prizes, blue spheres etc.-).

I'm still not sure if you are supposed to get those bells again at every run or not, it's so inconsistent...

GungJoe are you both playing on the same console? If yes, PS4 or PS5? Are you 100% sure you both get the bronze/silver/gold at every run? Take in mind that the game still prompt the bells win like this without actually give it to the player:

sackboy1.png

to be sure you get it they should be prompted on character too:

sackboy2.png

Deleted member 1627

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm talking about the "collectibells" (that should be the english name) and yes, It's the currency for unlocking costumes.
I'm playing the game on PS4 with my brother account as main and my personal account as second player (same console).
We both get those "bells" that you earn with bronze/silver/gold prize the first time we finish a level but my brother doesn't get any bells for successive runs. I get them everytime.
If he play solo on his account he still doesn't get it, same If I play solo on my account.
Basically in those cases we only get the bells the FIRST time we get the bronze/silver/gold prizes. If we finish a level for the first time at silver we both get the bells for bronze and silver, if we replay the same level and we get gold prize, then my brother only get the bells for gold and I get the bells for bronze/silver/gold.

Again, if I play the game on my account I get no bells, even if I don't even have any bronze/silver/gold on any level since the game doesn't save these type of progress if you play as a second account (another bug, since everything else is actually saved - eg no death run, prizes, blue spheres etc.-).

I'm still not sure if you are supposed to get those bells again at every run or not, it's so inconsistent...

GungJoe are you both playing on the same console? If yes, PS4 or PS5? Are you 100% sure you both get the bronze/silver/gold at every run? Take in mind that the game still prompt the bells win like this without actually give it to the player:

sackboy1.png

to be sure you get it they should be prompted on character too:

sackboy2.png
You only get scoreboard prizes the first time you earn them. Subsequent runs don't award them which is the correct behaviour. Not sure why you're not getting them when time you hit the scoreboard the first time, but if you finished the level with your brother and are using the same save, then that progress is logged and you don't get the bells a second time.

SixelAlexiS

Oct 27, 2017
Italy
You only get scoreboard prizes the first time you earn them. Subsequent runs don't award them which is the correct behaviour. Not sure why you're not getting them when time you hit the scoreboard the first time, but if you finished the level with your brother and are using the same save, then that progress is logged and you don't get the bells a second time.
That's what I'm not sure of, if it's like that why even prompt the bells prize again on subsequent runs (like the first screen I've posted)?

I have to accept the fact that devs just didn't cared to adjust that ending level screen and made it more clear for the player that even if it says "+15 bells!" you actually don't get it?

It's a bad design choice in any case, especially since I've read various people finishing the game that still need like 7-8K bells and if you can't even replay a level and get them as a prize then you can only rely and that few bells that you gather around by breaking/killing stuff, and that is a even more absurd design choice.

So yeah, I'm not totally sure the game should behave like this honestly.

Deleted member 1627

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That's what I'm not sure of, if it's like that why even prompt the bells prize again on subsequent runs (like the first screen I've posted)?

I have to accept the fact that devs just didn't cared to adjust that ending level screen and made it more clear for the player that even if it says "+15 bells!" you actually don't get it?

It's a bad design choice in any case, especially since I've read various people finishing the game that still need like 7-8K bells and if you can't even replay a level and get them as a prize then you can only rely and that few bells that you gather around by breaking/killing stuff, and that is a even more absurd design choice.

It's working as intended - the lack of clarity on the scoreboard is certainly less than ideal but the scoreboards are intended to give out prizes only once.

btkadams

Oct 25, 2017
This game seemed charming when I was playing it alone, but having my friend join in with shareplay made it so much fun. The co-op-only levels are also really cool. I hope it does well enough to get a sequel. The music and level design along with the music is fantastic.

krae_man

Oct 25, 2017

I agree that the number of bells you earn should be enough to buy everything in the store if you 100% the game. They could have easily just gave you the genie bottle always being available in every world after you beat the game as well as a fail safe for people who for whatever reason missed lots of bells available in levels.

Again, you can grind "Sticking with it" and earn tons of bells really easy.

You can get there and quit out the level in about 60 seconds. 1000 bells will take you under 20 minutes.

AniHawk

No Fear, Only Math
Oct 25, 2017
You weren't kidding lol. On the final world and it can get pretty hard. Should beat it on my next sitting though. Although this will be the kind of game I come back to, to slowly platinum.

that's how i took it. just came back and chipped away at it and outside the multiplayer-only levels, managed to 100% everything else. clearing the ripsnorter felt pretty good, but it took some doing.

Dphex

Oct 27, 2017
Cologne, Germany
Game is definitely great, i am in the aqua world, i love the presentation, style, music and colours, it is very charming. could be harder but the challenges and trying to 100% every level makes up for it.

for me, it is the best of the PS5 launch games, even when its a crossgen title. game gives me a good smile despite having some personal problems atm, so its doing something right.

Whittaker

Jun 21, 2018
Was gifted this game for Christmas and I'm playing it on my PS5. Looks gorgeous, extremely charming, and fun gameplay (although I really wish Sackboy's run was, like 10% faster). Super impressed and kinda feel that it's been overlooked because it came out during the launch period and got lost in the shuffle of the other games and new hardware.

The music is especially impressive, I just got to the underwater world and loved that they used Camille Saint-Saëns' "Aquarium" for one those levels! I think I also heard an instrumental cover of "Material Girl" and I certainly got a jolt when the level finish music turned out to be a Breakbot track. I think the music licensing section of the credits is going to be really interesting to read when I finish the game.

Alek

Games User Researcher
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Game is definitely great, i am in the aqua world, i love the presentation, style, music and colours, it is very charming. could be harder but the challenges and trying to 100% every level makes up for it.

for me, it is the best of the PS5 launch games, even when its a crossgen title. game gives me a good smile despite having some personal problems atm, so its doing something right.

It'll get harder, don't worry!

I didn't ever find it uncomfortably hard, but I haven't done everything. To be honest though it did get too hard for my girlfriend. In the final area she was just dead all the time.

digitalrelic

Weight Loss Champion 2018: Biggest Change
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Finished this with my daughter a couple nights ago.

Probably the most fun I've had with a next-gen launch game thus far. Great game!

I will say that I played it 100% co-op, and I'd imagine it's a lot more fun to go through the game co-op vs single player.

whassupbun

Oct 28, 2017
Bought this because I loved Astro's Playroom so much and wanted more. Played the first 3 levels just now, not really feeling it... Hope it gets better.

Is there no double jump in this? I went through the move list and couldn't find it. Feels like it's a staple in all 3D platformers.

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
Bought this because I loved Astro's Playroom so much and wanted more. Played the first 3 levels just now, not really feeling it... Hope it gets better.

Is there no double jump in this? I went through the move list and couldn't find it. Feels like it's a staple in all 3D platformers.
Def gets better. Yea the double jump is the flutter that gets you higher