• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Equanimity

Oct 27, 2017
London
4fd2ef03-4fb7-442c-8shkqn.jpeg

OpenCritic 76 (30 reviews) | Metacritic 78 (28 reviews)

PC Gamer - 93/100
Sable's lonely, heartfelt journey of self-discovery will sit with me for a lifetime.

PC Invasion - 9/10
Striking, peaceful, and wholly focused on exploring at your own pace, Sable is a joy to play. The optimization could use some serious work, but this is an extremely compelling game that offers a better open-world experience than many AAA developers have crafted.

Paste Magazine - 9/10
Sable may dwell in the ruins, but she is alive. She is well. I take great comfort in that.

Gaming Trend - 90/100
Sable is high on the list of game of the year contenders in one jam packed with them. It's a gorgeous, immersive coming of age story that happens organically and at your own pace - you can see as much or as little of the game as you like. While it certainly has its share of issues, Midden is just a place you have to visit.

But Why Tho? - 9/10
Playing Sable very well may be as close as one can get to a meditative experience while playing a game. Few games feel as good to simply exist within as Sable. The game's gorgeous visuals, warm and comforting music, and intuitive game design all come together to create a unique experience about trying to find one's place in the world through an expression of an individual's freedom.

Wccftech - 9/10
For those yearning to explore, Sable offers the chance to do it at your own speed, with your own goals, and without the need to exert violence or experience shocking twists. Sable is confident the world is interesting enough and is completely right in that regard.

Checkpoint Gaming - 9/10
The occasional bug and missing stamina upgrades are really the only negatives I can lodge at Sable. I can think of very few games that have presented such a beautiful harmony of its attributes. Everything supports everything else. The story implores you to go out into the world, to see all that there is to see. The gameplay ensures that the focus is always on the vistas that lay before you, and it's all stylised beautifully. The game creates a view of which I cannot tire. This is truly one of the most well-conceived and executed games that I have seen in a very long time. It's one of those games that truly is using everything to its maximum potential.

DualShockers - 9/10
The occasional bug and missing stamina upgrades are really the only negatives I can lodge at Sable. I can think of very few games that have presented such a beautiful harmony of its attributes. Everything supports everything else. The story implores you to go out into the world, to see all that there is to see. The gameplay ensures that the focus is always on the vistas that lay before you, and it's all stylised beautifully. The game creates a view of which I cannot tire.

Game Informer - 8.75/10
Sable ends in the same way it starts, at home with family. The narrative payoff is not actually about your final choice, and that may rub more goal-oriented players the wrong way. However, I found the conclusion a fitting end to a side quest-filled exploration game. For those who love to explore, I can't recommend Sable enough. Every element – beautiful graphics, compelling traversal, and player-driven plot – works together to ensure I simply lose myself in the world.

GamesRadar+ - 4⭐️
Sable is downright beautiful in its execution and storytelling, and captures an innate desire for exploration like few other open-world games.

CGMagazine - 8/10
Sable borrows a popular and tried and tested approach to open-world game design and gives it a truly unique feel indicative of the works of the French artist Moebius. The lack of combat may turn some off from playing the game—however, for those looking for a casual game where exploration and light puzzle-solving comes first, it's hard not to recommend Sable.

PCGamesN - 8/10
A sweetly told tale of youth, travel, and self-discovery that's not afraid to wear its inspirations on its sleeve. In turbulent, inward-looking times, Sable is a true comfort.

Shack News - 8/10
Sable is a beautiful story about self-discovery. It's themes of solitude and what it means to be independent strongly resonated with me. The game is bolstered by a one-of-a-kind art style and an excellently crafted original soundtrack. If you can handle a slow burn and push some UI issues aside, Sable is an overwhelmingly pleasant experience.

Screen Rant - 4⭐️
With its beautiful design, surprisingly deep lore, and comforting soundtrack, Sable provides a joyful and inspiring escape that would be a shame to miss out on.

Windows Central - 3.5⭐️
With its striking art direction, haunting soundtrack and focus on exploration, Sable is a great journey about understanding yourself. Frequent stuttering and some bugs bring the experience down though.

GameSpew - 7/10
If the idea of a game that offers you a true sense of freedom appeals to you, you'll undoubtedly get a kick out of Sable. Its expertly-crafted narrative alone will inspire you to keep going, but repetitive quests and an often barren world may dampen your spirits a little. Still, there's a lot to enjoy here, and if its art style resonates with you, you'll find it easy to lose hour after hour in Sable's unique world.

IGN - 7/10
Sable is a beautiful, minimalist voyage that's hindered by bugs and bland puzzles.

TheSixthAxis - 7/10
Sable is a truly wondrous and serene experience at times, but lift the mask and you find it's also one that has its flaws and inconveniences. If you can see past its weaknesses, this is a journey of pure and innocent discovery that's well worth taking.

Noisy Pixel - 7/10
When it comes to sound design and visual style, Sable blew me away. I couldn't help but smile and prepare to get lost in a beautiful world. Unfortunately, that feeling doesn't take long to fade away. There's definitely enough to keep you engaged and interested, but I just yearned to get more out of this game, especially as it has compelling elements within the groundwork.

Jump Dash Roll - 7/10
In a gaming landscape where everything has to be big, bold and brash, Sable stands out as a calm escape from the norm. Its relaxing, low-fi approach with an equally soothing soundtrack will be the perfect escape for those who wish to just kick back, relax and explore.‍

Guide Fall - 6.5/10
Sable is a third-person exploration game about riding a hoverbike through a huge desert and looking for adventure. It gives you plenty of room for relaxing rides, and there are enough activities floating around to keep you busy.

GFINITY - 3/5
There's plenty to like about Sable but ultimately, this isn't for everyone. Due to performance issues, weak endings, lack of direction and a failure to explain key elements, several flaws hold it back. However, by offering strong narrative freedom, enjoyable exploration without combat, and a unique visual approach, Sable still felt quite refreshing in some regards. Ultimately, it's an entertaining debut by Shedwork and if you can look past those flaws, it comes recommended.

GameSkinny - 6/10
Sable's premise is novel, if not entirely new. Its minimalistic gameplay, at times, helps sell a more personable experience. Regrettably, the minimalism cuts both ways as Sable's barren world betrays the game's emphasis on exploration.

TrueAchievements - 6/10
There's no doubt in my mind that Sable is a game that will work best when experienced as a personal, non-thorough Gliding that comes to a natural end long before any rot has a chance to set in. But with so many incentives (both in and around the game) for trawling every sandy inch of the world in search of worms, badges, and whatever else, the mixed messages Sable sends are probably going to lead to a lot of people playing in a way that actually works to the game's detriment.

The Gamer - 6/10
They say every journey starts with a single step, but in the case of Sable, the journey starts with the arduous task of assembling a motorbike. Sable is a game that looks gorgeous and occasionally does gorgeous things, but too often it's a drab and lifeless affair. It's a game that knows exactly how it makes you want to feel, but it doesn't quite have the gameplay to pull it off, and that means it's constantly fighting with itself.

Twinfinite - 6/10
Its messages certainly resonated with me but its gameplay lacked the variety to truly keep me hooked for lengthier sessions. If you're looking for a chill experience and can overlook any performance issues that aren't quite resolved by the time you pick it up, then Sable will deliver. I just can't help shake the feeling of missed potential here.

VGC - 6/10
There's nothing wrong with a game about doing simple things, and enjoying a relaxing journey in between, but in Sable, we could never relax.

Monster Vine - 2/5
Sable has good bones, and beautiful skin, but everything in between is broken and half formed. A few patches in, this game could easily become a cult classic. However, the issues in dialogue and quest design aren't likely to be patched away. Hopefully we'll see this concept tackled again, without all the bumps in the road launching it wildly off course.

Last edited:

dlauv

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
The reviews in the thread are quite good scores - I wonder if they're all being tallied in the metascore. This game looked iffy last year and I was expecting ~60 metascore, so I'm pleasantly surprised but I'd still want to try it because of the art style.

Windu

Oct 25, 2017
This is day one game pass right? I think I recall seeing it in the coming soon section.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
This has been a loooong ass time coming. I can't wait, but I will a bit longer and look forward to sinking in at the weekend. Glad it's reviewing well.

RatskyWatsky

Are we human or are we dancer?
Oct 25, 2017
~3GB

www.resetera.com

Sable |OT| Comic Sands OT

Platform(s): Windows PC, Xbox One, Xbox Series S|X Release Date: September 23rd, 2021 Genre: Price: $24.99 / £19.99 / €24.99 Player(s): 1 Format: Digital Developer: Shedworks Publisher: Raw Fury Size: ~3GB What is Sable? "Comic Sands"? The visuals in Sable draw inspiration from the late...

Oh that's super small! I should be able to download it no problem then :D

Perzeval

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
The player character having so few frames for the running animation looks weird and distracting when every other animation is smooth

Crumrin

Banned
Feb 27, 2020
The demo didn't get me very excited but I'll give the game a try on Game Pass, I hope it clicks.

Lord Fanny

Banned
Apr 25, 2020
I tried to play the demo for this, but I could never get off the start screen. Don't know if it was glitched, but all I saw was a white screen with a small character in the center that I was supposed to be able to move I think, but never could.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
Thought the demo was honestly just shy of outright bad. Glad to see some people enjoying it, but don't think this one is for me

Anddo

Oct 28, 2017
BUGS!
I enjoyed the demo. But I won't be beta testing another game at launch.
I'll purchase the game after a few patches.

Richietto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
North Carolina
Seems like my kinda game based on what some of the more mild reviews are saying are negatives. Ill wait a little for the bugs to get patched up but otherwise looking forward to playing.

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
i dunno why but i assumed this game was vaporware up til i saw that OT pop today. or it was one of those games that comes out years and years later nothing like the original presentation

i guess it makes sense considering the type of game it is. no combat or super deep mechanics

i'll get in on it (non-gamepass) but not sure if it'll be my jam, barring a specific mood

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
Better than I expected! Gorgeous looking game, but I was not feeling the demo at all.

nillapuddin

Oct 25, 2017
OP says 76 on 21 reviews but opencritic says 79 at 13 reviews

Must have been a cache issue

Last edited:

Van Bur3n

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
The game excited me on a conceptual level but the demo all but killed my interest. Reading these reviews, they further steer me clear from this one.