• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

What Update would you prefer?

• Pure performance - Full locked 30fps minimum

Votes: 208 35.1%
  • Graphics - Higher Average resolutions please

Votes: 101 17.0%
  • Mix - Graphics options turned on and off which effects performance and resolutions

Votes: 229 38.6%
  • Content - Give me some exclusive Nintendo content please!

Votes: 55 9.3%

• Total voters

ry-dog

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
'Borderline unplayable'?

You sir, are talking absolute bollocks. The game runs incredibly well (at least in handheld) and looks pretty great all things considered (running on hardware like this). I've been so surprised at how well the experience has carried over to Switch and I've played on both PC and Xbox One X.

I don't know what to say. The games frame rate isn't consistent, I can deal with the downgraded graphics and the blur to an extent, but bad frame rate on a device you hold so close to your face is a deal breaker for me, it makes me feel ill. Docked might be fine, but that's not how I use my switch

The "well it's a Switch, what do you expect" only goes so far, they are charging full price for this. I would have welcomed more graphical sacrifices to get the frame rate closer to 30

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
The game is very blurry (like putting on a pair of low strength glasses when you don't need them), and at least at the time I played it, it wasn't running at a stable 30fps. Docked would better because you're sitting a few metres from the TV, the blur would be less noticeable, but at that point you should probably just be playing the game on a different platform if that's an option. I'd love a portable Witcher, I just can't deal with the sacrifices they made

The framerate is more stable than it was on a machine 10 times the size. Honestly outside of a handful of cutscenes I haven't really noticed it dipping much at all.

And it looks much, much better on the portable screen than a TV screen to me, especially during cutscenes/dialog.

mnk

Nov 11, 2017
I've been playing it the past couple weeks (first time player), and the performance has been great. I was worried about starting Novigrad because I knew it was supposed to be rougher there, but even that is fine. That said, it has crashed on me 4-5 times so far, but between auto-save/quest checkpoints/me just saving often in general, I've never lost any significant progress from it. But hopefully the patch will fix that up.

Oh and it would be great if they could shorten the load times too. Dying in Velen/Novigrad while exploring dangerous areas or trying to fight significantly stronger enemies gets annoying, lol.

Mr_F_Snowman

Oct 27, 2017
I don't know what to say. The games frame rate isn't consistent, I can deal with the downgraded graphics and the blur to an extent, but bad frame rate on a device you hold so close to your face is a deal breaker for me, it makes me feel ill. Docked might be fine, but that's not how I use my switch

The "well it's a Switch, what do you expect" only goes so far, they are charging full price for this. I would have welcomed more graphical sacrifices to get the frame rate closer to 30

Guess it should have been given away free at launch then on PS4 / xbox seeing as it ran a lot worse lol

Sounds like you'd be better playing on a beefy pc if you want perfect performance from the witcher 3

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
"borderlines unplayable"

giphy.gif

Gles

Aug 4, 2019
I'm currently playing it, 60hrs so far and I think it runs great, so any additional improvement would be awesome.

Hugare

Banned
Aug 31, 2018
Shit, after putting hundreds of hours in the PS4 version in 2015 I bought the Switch version today. Started playing (im a docked player) but maaan the graphics take some getting used to. Anyway, seems like its best to wait for this update?
If you are a docked player, I feel sorry for you

The game reaally doesnt look good docked, specially on a 4k tv

This and DQ XI are games that I only play on portable

Deleted member 18161

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Turning off the AA and turning up the sharpening makes the game look so much better when docked so it could be those sorts of options made officially available along with framerate optimisations.

Don't expect 60fps lol. That was using a hacked Switch when docked with the CPU+GPU clocks massively increased.

Disclaimer

Oct 25, 2017
Handheld already looks surprisingly good. The biggest things I'd request, beyond whatever graphical/performance tightening up they do, is (1) fixing the occasional crashes, and (2) shortening load times, if possible.

Oct 27, 2017
Hopefully an option to turn off antialiasing. Those areas where its off (Crookback bog) look so much sharper and crisper on a Lite screen than those areas with it on where it's undeniably blurry.

Great port though, runs really well, has the capacity to look amazing at times and I'm already further in than I ever got on PS4.

Last edited:
Aug 12, 2019
I imagine this will include some stability fixes to certain problem areas and maybe across the board paired with maybe a slight resolution bump for the game on handheld? Maybe even some increased draw distance and texture improvements if we're really lucky?

I'm curious to see what they can achieve with this version. I haven't bought it yet because I have too much else to play on Switch specifically, but I do plan to pick it up later on and I'll gladly accept any and all improvements. Considering how well it seemed to dropped on day one, I'm surprised we're still talking patches a few months later. Glad to see CD Projekt Red have taken this whole thing so seriously and given it the effort and support a Switch port deserved.

Doctre81

Oct 26, 2017
I was surprised at just how bad the game performed, not because it's running on the Switch, but because they're charging full price for it. It borderlines unplayable, I don't think they should have released it in the state it's in
Dude stop. The switch versions framerate is even more stable than the ps4 at release.

RestEerie

Banned
Aug 20, 2018
Banned (5 Days): Platform Warring, History of platform warring / Trolling.
First screenshot of 8k120fps mode, a switch exclusive.

shenmue_timeline_06.png

Deleted member 11626

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If you're a console player and played it on PS4/XBO, and you're complaining about framerate, what are you doing? I get it when graphics might be tough to swallow, but the game ran like shit on everything except a PC. Come on.

Also worth keeping in mind that this game sold well enough to justify what's being billed as a significant patch, months after release. There is clearly an audience for these sorts games on Nintendo's platforms. Low resolution, graphical effects, etc, and all

Sterok

Oct 25, 2017
No issue with the performance or graphics (though some hair textures look pretty bad), but the game crashes way too frequently. Fix that, and I don't care about anything else.

Oct 25, 2017
Fuck Saber.

I used to defend them amongst the backlash from the first NBA Playgrounds but the sequel on Switch is really blurry and they did shit about it.

Oct 27, 2017
Draw distance is pretty good considering the engine brings things into view at close range even on ps4. Can still see Oxenfurt, Novigrad, etc. from far far away. There's a few artifacts whose resolution is a bit too low, but really everything seems there, and the controls are a match for console play. I can even jump/roll/drop onto rooftops, under the bridge with the waterfall in Toussaint, etc. and go everywhere I can go on console. Gwent is still amazing. And by poking and prodding at the Switch version I'm realizing just how many things I'd never seen in the game before - buildings and caves I can enter, triggered quests, maybe even a fast-travel marker or two. Better resolution detail and clarity, at least docked, would be welcome additions.

Acido

Oct 31, 2017
Does the current version use the "boost mode" that Mortal Kombat uses? Maybe this update could enable it if it doesn't already.

Darryl M R

The Spectacular PlayStation-Man
Oct 25, 2017
I feel like the only way I'm going to be able to finish The Witcher 3 is by having it on the Switch

Watershed

Oct 26, 2017
I know this port is impressive in many ways but it is just too blurry for me to enjoy, even in handheld mode. If this update bumps the res and draw distance, I will give the game another shot. Right now the whole thing looks smeared in Vaseline.

OP
OP
T002 Tyrant

T002 Tyrant

Nov 8, 2018
Added a poll, curious to see if anyone has opinions on what kind of update they'd prefer! I'd prefer to have graphics options that can influence performance and image quality!

hussien-11

Oct 27, 2017
Jordan
I know this port is impressive in many ways but it is just too blurry for me to enjoy, even in handheld mode. If this update bumps the res and draw distance, I will give the game another shot. Right now the whole thing looks smeared in Vaseline.

I feel the same, it is acceptable and even good in portable mode as the small screen helps in masking the low resolution, but overall I keep wishing for this to be a bit sharper, even if performance was to be decreased a little as it is really solid. just a small push will help this port to be an amazing way to play The Witcher 3.

Chackan

Oct 31, 2017
I'm the only one that answered more content on the poll lol

Would love to use the master sword while hunting ghouls and stuff :p

Doskoi Panda

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
The graphics settings and options that were discovered within the game last year aren't quite substantial enough to hype up like this. It's going to be something more. I'm thinking that the game is getting a full-on second pass on Switch.

SolidChamp

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I know it'll never happen, but a cross-save feature with my PS4 save file would make the Switch version an instant buy for me.

Sirank

Oct 27, 2017
Hopefully they will allow TAA to be turned off. Looked like the vaseline had been taken off the screen in the comparison video I saw where someone hacked the game to remove it. I would get it if they added some options like that.

Murdy Plops

Banned
Dec 21, 2018
Whatever the patch is; I hope it drops soon. I stopped my playthrough a few weeks ago upon hearing this news and I'm dying to jump back in : )