• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Ont

Prophet of Truth
Oct 29, 2017
Can someone come up with a use case that generates them more money overall than the current implementation of their monetization? People keep invoking the "wait until EA figures it out" boogeyman but they have yet to say how.

I assumed that the NFT adoption would have been driven by the backlash on their current monetization.

Dec 27, 2019
Seattle
Can someone come up with a use case that generates them more money overall than the current implementation of their monetization?
NFT's can theoretically increase in value above what the developer sells them for. And if it's set up like a lot of NFT games are, then the developer gets a cut of every sale of that NFT. So EA isn't just selling a weapon skin NFT for $15 like they might currently doing with a MTX. They're getting that, plus say, a 10% cut of that NFT when it's owner sells it to someone else for $100. Or for $15,000. That's their financial incentive over current MTX systems.

Thrill_house

Oct 27, 2017
Awesome. NFT's can fucking eat shit. A combination of everyone speaking up and platform holders telling them to cut it out got them to heel turn REAL fast im sure. I can dig it.

Apr 25, 2018
Rockwall, Texas
Were they really expecting anyone to buy the "Without NFTs we can't make the game as good as we want it to be!" spiel?
Maybe learn to budget and work within your budget instead of planning on pre-orders/microtransactions to help fund your game (as if...). If it's that bad, then start a Kickstarter fund.

Not exactly, because the horse armor was embraced enough to kick off the avalanche of milking we ended up with. But I do agree in a sense that those who claim NFTs "won't harm anything" are the same kind of deniers we saw back then.

Remember when you used to be able to buy a complete game, and remember when $20 - $30 would get you an expansion that could be close to 30% as large as the main game? Remember unlockable costumes and bonus characters, stages or modes that came with the game, and not just already on disc waiting to be unlocked with $$$? I sure as fuck do.

It just takes a long time to change people's perceptions about this stuff. It'll happen whether you want it to or not. Enjoy the temporary victory.

Avitus

Oct 25, 2017
NFT's can theoretically increase in value above what the developer sells them for. And if it's set up like a lot of NFT games are, then the developer gets a cut of every sale of that NFT. So EA isn't just selling a weapon skin NFT for $15 like they might currently doing with a MTX. They're getting that, plus say, a 10% cut of that NFT when it's owner sells it to someone else for $100. Or for $15,000. That's their financial incentive over current MTX systems.

For an NFT to appreciate in value like that to the point of being worth all of the effort the asset would need to be usable moving forward, which provides all kinds of challenges. It'd also need to be very unique, meaning it likely would cost not insignificant resources to produce. In all cases it's better to just sell a cheaper skin to millions of people (that can't be resold) than to mint these NFTs. There might be some edge case where you sell whale level shit to people with too much money but that's going to be very transparent and not scale to the level EA would want to bring in a ton of revenue.

The best use for NFTs is as motivational bait to drive engagement, like Valve games do with drops. This was all figured out a long time ago by the gaming market.

Goldenroad

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 2, 2017
The amount of posts trying to give Phil credit for this is cringe af. I would also give credit to the fan backlash before even thinking Phil's imaginary role in all this.

MS has a co-marketing deal with GSC and the game is a marquee Game Pass title for 2022, and just one month ago Phil was saying how NFT's are exploitative and they don't want to feature games with NFT's on their store front. Obviously if there was no fan backlash, there would also be no backlash from MS on this, but, like I say, bad press for STALKER 2 = bad press for Game Pass, and MS is going to do everything in their power to mitigate that damage.

I don't think it's unreasonable to believe that there were at least discussions with Microsoft happening as all this fan backlash was occuring, and that it can be the fan backlash as well as those conversations that forced GSC's hand in this situation. Obviously they aren't going to be transparent about what happens behind the scenes with their Game Pass contracts, as they never have been, but it doesn't seem like a huge logical leap to me that they don't want games that bring bad press to Game Pass and XBOX on their services, and there maybe some wording in the contract along those lines that might have allowed MS to pull their funding if a game does have a negative impact on the perception of their service.

XR.

Nov 22, 2018
The amount of posts trying to give Phil credit for this is cringe af. I would also give credit to the fan backlash before even thinking Phil's imaginary role in all this.
I mean it's highly speculative but their initial reaction to the backlash was to proceed as planned, and then an hour later they changed their mind all of a sudden. I don't think there's any reason to believe that they changed their mind that quickly because the backlash reached an entirely new level or something in those lines, so there is most certainly some other factor at play here.

ClamBuster

Oct 27, 2017
Ipswich, England

a bit of noise on twitter comes and goes

the boss of the platform your game is launching on takes issue... you cancel, and apologise

phil spencer will have been a very large factor in the studios reversal

RoaminRonin

Nov 6, 2017

the boss of the platform your game is launching on takes issue... you cancel, and apologise

This whole image of Phil being some holy warrior for the average gamers is so hilarious man. Unless you guys have some actual evidence Phil had a role in this, then present it. Stop with this nonsense.

Nerokis

Oct 25, 2017
*logs into Era*

"Can somebody explain to me why people dislike crypto and NFTs? Are people just that afraid of emerging technologies? I am lightly invested in a couple of coins here and there and I think it's unfair to paint all NFTs as bad. There is endless list of exciting, innovative uses that can change the gaming landscape for the better that will come from NFTs. What those opportunities are, though ... um, stay tuned. It's gonna be amazing, though."

lmao this is really well done

Goldenroad

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 2, 2017
This whole image of Phil being some holy warrior for the average gamers is so hilarious man. Unless you guys have some actual evidence Phil had a role in this, then present it. Stop with this nonsense.

Thats on you to prove that Microsoft wouldn't push back on this company garnering all this negative attention to their biggest Game Pass title for the first half of 2022. Why would they want this bad press? How does that benefit Microsoft or Game Pass? There was literally someone in this thread who canceled their GP sub over this and then resubbed when GSC walked it back.

dose

Oct 29, 2017

Lol bollocks. Spencer spoke about NFTs over a week ago, but didn't say he hated them. Meanwhile, GSC doubled down yesterday and then half an hour later retracted. How can you say Spencer will have been a very large factor based on that? Seriously, you've made the biggest leap ever.

Jogi

Prophet of Regret
Jul 4, 2018
I can't imagine Phil did anything, but I'm curious if there is anything in the Game Pass contract that could have affected this.

War95

Banned
Feb 17, 2021
It really bothers me when the overall stalker comunity was actually canceling preorders in mass because of this and thats probably a big part on the step back, but yeah, CEO at the rescue i guess

Rogote

Oct 25, 2017
The backlash was real. I went to search for old trailers just yesterday and I only found like few days to one day old videos hating on the NFT thing. The whole first page was filled with those. I actually had to fish out for the fucking trailers. And we talking about youtubers with close to million subscribers who had hype videos about the game just recently.

I can't even recall seeing that much backlash that fast in recent memory. This was no Almighty batman jesus Phil, this was good old EVERYONE IN THE COMMUNITY INCLUDING ACTUAL INFLUENCERS being very down on it at the same time making it extremely visible to people searching for STALKER 2 content.

prophetvx

Nov 28, 2017
Forget Phil, I'm talking about MSFT the company. If Sony had a partnership with a game company and they came out with some BS that they didn't want on their platform, you better believe they are stepping in.
Likewise, you better believe that a company like Microsoft or Sony with major marketing deals with a game developer, would know if they're pulling this crap before it's announced.