• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Madhlad

Jan 18, 2020
I don't think NFT or blockchain is at the point where games should be implementing it.
It's a cool tech, but Bitcoin/Ethereum consumes too much energy and it's not worth it.
Maybe when they become as efficient as using the internet then we can talk.

Goldenroad

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 2, 2017
I think the main problem there are too many investors atm only giving money to NFT projects as its the new hot thing.

Sure...which is why I'm saying, just set up a separate company or subsidiary and propose an NFT project to investors that is not tied to your new anticipated game, that people are losing interest in every time you Tweet about NFT's.

Zutrax

Oct 31, 2017
Anecdotally, there's a few people in my gamer friend group that were excited about this and are now skipping it. Unfortunately I don't have the other end of the equation. There do seem to be a lot of crypto-bros online?
My impression of NFT/Crypto bros was that they are a very very vocal minority, I generally see more hostility towards them than support. But obviously everything is anecdotal due to us mainly residing in our internet bubbles.

prophetvx

Nov 28, 2017
Did they seriously say you can buy screen real estate whether it be in magazines or throwing your name on a wall and that it's ok, it won't impact your game experience?

Flashforward to NFT purchasers replaying the game in 10 years...

ShinUltramanJ

Oct 27, 2017
Stop me if you've heard this one before…

Dear gamers, we're just a small indie studio working on our biggest game yet. Funds collected from "X" will go into making out game better and better. Don't worry, none of this will affect gameplay - it's all cosmetic. We just want to be as transparent as possible.

They deleted the image, here's the original image reuploaded :)
OP
OP
IDontBeatGames

IDontBeatGames

ThreadMarksman
Oct 29, 2017
New York
FGwuYYqWUAANXbY.jpg

convo

Oct 25, 2017
I don't get why everyone is so upset about this ? Is this decision gonna impact the game? Cause last I heard it wasn't.
Because it's omega griffting and i'd rather not. Any corp that endorses NFTs do not care for anything other than making a quick buck on rich idiots and any claim that they are not as damaging to the enviroment is a lie to grift harder. Crypto has wiped out any gains in renewable energies, because electricity of multiple countries combined is being used for funny money.

Vash

Oct 28, 2017
Hah, I was gonna comment on it here and read the entire statement. Suddenly, it said *poof* and it was gone.

S.T.A.L.K.E.R. 2 confirmed to have magic! :P

Kavalier_Clay

Alt-Account
Banned
Nov 16, 2021
Wait why are people upset about this? They're just selling cosmetic items. They're not withholding anything significant either.

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
Anecdotally, there's a few people in my gamer friend group that were excited about this and are now skipping it. Unfortunately I don't have the other end of the equation. There do seem to be a lot of crypto-bros online?
They're very loud because, surprise, the people in Cryptoland at the ground floor have a lot invested on bringing others into the (pyramid) scheme.

Goldenroad

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
I've got to imagine someone from Microsoft just told them to pull that tweet or their co-marketing deal is off. Spencer was just interviewed a month ago about how NFT's are exploitative. I don't think they want that type of shit tied to Game Pass...so I bet there are some pretty heated discussions happening right now.

https://kotaku.com/xbox-boss-phil-spencer-talks-about-exploitive-nfts-1848071039

OP
OP
IDontBeatGames

IDontBeatGames

ThreadMarksman
Oct 29, 2017
New York

ffframe

alt account
Banned
Nov 29, 2021
DMarket still uses a couple of Ethereum standards for their NFTs and those still aren't the most energy efficient standards, if I'm correct. GSC should really share exact specifics if they want to make claims about environmental impact. It sounds like they don't even have the low-level details in order yet. Or, if they do, they've not done a good enough job sharing/surfacing them.

And if they wanted support from fans, they could still do this without requiring NFT integration of any kind. It smells like bullshit.

cgpartlow

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle, WA
If they are running on proof of stake blockchains I really don't see an issue. Cardano is one of the biggest blockchains and nodes literally run off raspberry pis. It has the second most transactions of any blockchain and it's total energy use is like 0.5% of Ethereum. It is also powering some really neat stuff for school systems in Africa. It probably uses less power than all the servers running xcloud or something and you don't see a lot of people complaining about energy for server use. Ultimately NFTs are kind of dumb and I don't need them in my video games but it kind of seems like people want to hate and be mad but really have no idea about the technology.

Bufbaf

Don't F5!
Oct 25, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
Would it make sense to ask Gamepass/Xbox to not allow NFT Scheme games on their platform by any chance? I have a feeling GSC won't give a fuck in any case, but Microsoft might when it comes to their ecosystem.

edit okay, given the amounts of tweets containing "xbox", "stalker" and "nft", they surely must know at this point.

Kenai

Oct 26, 2017
Y know, I've seen more than a few talking heads go on about how NFTs are the future/better get used to them/blah blah blah, but when stuff like this gets announced the backlash always seems to be really damn quick and the YouTube vids/tweets are removed and (at least some of the time, like Discord) reconsideration is almost immediate.

Maybe, just maybe, this time people aren't buying the bullshit being sold? (And for anyone who tries to link "X trashy Chimp JPEG sold for 87 billion dollars" ect, I would like some receipts showing that it's not just speculative market money trading. That shouldn't be TOO hard, right?)

The one thing they could really do with Blockchain that might be nice is to just let us own/resell the digital game copy and no one is going that route. WoNdEr WhY

ffframe

alt account
Banned
Nov 29, 2021
If they are running on proof of stake blockchains I really don't see an issue. Cardano is one of the biggest blockchains and nodes literally run off raspberry pis. It has the second most transactions of any blockchain and it's total energy use is like 0.5% of Ethereum. It is also powering some really neat stuff for school systems in Africa. It probably uses less power than all the servers running xcloud or something and you don't see a lot of people complaining about energy for server use. Ultimately NFTs are kind of dumb and I don't need them in my video games but it kind of seems like people want to hate and be mad but really have no idea about the technology.
That's on GSC and DMarket for not having their houses in order before they try to invite people in. They should've been hyper-specific about how they planned to implement this.

MGPanda

Feb 25, 2018
Why is shit <<randomly inside of guillemets>>?
In Spanish at least, guillemets are technically the correct way of using quotation marks, so it might be the same on their language. That said, basically no-one uses them and it's kinda weird to see, so it might as well be for emphasis like others have said lmao.

Goldenroad

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Would it make sense to ask Gamepass/Xbox to not allow NFT Scheme games on their platform by any chance? I have a feeling GSC won't give a fuck in any case, but Microsoft might when it comes to their ecosystem.

If you read my post above and the link to Phil Spencer's comments, he seems to be on the same page that they don't want games with NFT's on their storefront.

Now...to be fair...you can totally argue that it's kind of self serving in the sense that I'm not sure MS will see any revenue from NFT sales associated with this game, but again, I think Phil isn't really mincing words in that article.

shan780

The Fallen
Nov 2, 2017
UK
i don't know why they'd blow up their good will like this. i thought I might pick this game up, but now it looks like a skip