• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

GavinUK86

Oct 25, 2017
Looks very Metro-esque which is funny considering where Metro came from. Need to see way more, including gameplay, to judge it better.

MistahS

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Sep 2, 2018
Wow that looked incredible. The wind looks great too. If the final game gets anywhere near that it's gonna look crazy.

Ali

Dec 27, 2017
Yes and i was arguing about the unlimited amount of funding comment. Just because they own it and are the publisher doesn't mean that they had given a whole lot of cash for it as compared to their other significantlty big AAA releases like Horizon, TLOU, GoW, etc.
Ahh, misinterpreted your post. Nvm me then.

Deadlock

Alt-Account
Banned
Dec 11, 2020
Yes more immersive sims please.

I just hope they add more personality to the NPC's. STALKER 1 and its expansions was awesome immersive sim, but the story, NPC's, forgettable.

Still a game I played to hundreds of hours.

Carbon

Deploying the stealth Cruise Missile
Oct 27, 2017
Hopefully it stays true to its roots and doesn't become just another Metro.

But it LOOKS good at least. Very cautiously optimistic.

Akronis

Prophet of Regret - Lizard Daddy
Oct 25, 2017
can't help but feel this is going to be compromised to hell gameplay and AI wise compared to the OG STALKER games

UnluckyKate

Oct 25, 2017
Should I play stalker? I brought it many years ago and never played it

best fps's of the 2000 but extremely clunky and hard in the first hours. Its very much an hardcore experience, from difficulty and jankiness but by god these game are amazing once you get into it.

Try looking for mods or jumping directly to the third game, that is more beginer friendly

Deleted member 17184

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The first games couldn't really grab me, so I'm curious about this one. Gonna get it on Game Pass for PC.

Apr 4, 2018
Vancouver, BC
That looked awesome, just dripping with atmosphere. Not gonna lie, if this game can keep that up, this could turn out a lot more special than I expected.

Definitely getting Metro vibes, but Metro was inspired by the original Stalker anyways? I should dive into one of the old games.

Carbon

Oct 27, 2017
That looked awesome, just dripping with atmosphere. Not gonna lie, if this game can keep that up, this could turn out a lot more special than I expected.

Definitely getting Metro vibes, but Metro was inspired by the original Stalker anyways? I should dive into one of the old games.
Metro was only sorta-kinda inspired by STALKER, but it was made largely by ex-GSC devs. After they had a falling out with GSC management, they went and created 4A Games. Metro's similarities to STALKER stem largely from them being a Ukrainian developer, sharing a similar background and frame of reference with the rest of the GSC devs.

PucePikmin

Apr 26, 2018
I'd like to see some actual gameplay soon, but nevertheless, this is promising. Definitely a big get for the XSX.

Lulu

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
call of pripayt is the one every loves right? and there's a sick mod? I have these games sitting in my library, kinda in the mood to give it a go

Last edited:

Carbon

Oct 27, 2017
call of pripayt is the one every loves right? and there's a sick mod? I have these games sitting in my library, kinda in the mod to give it a go
Pripyat and SoC. Pripyat is the most well put together STALKER game, but it lacks a bit of the atmosphere and a certain sense of place that the original SoC had. As a standalone game, especially for those potentially put off by the rough edges of the original, Pripyat is a pretty decent way to enter the series.

Carroway

Oct 25, 2017
STALKER was basically what ignited my love for the survival genre and my deep dive into russian literature and media, weird cross section I know, by god I hope it's able to capture just a fraction of what made the original trilogy of games unique, but I have my doubts.

MattyG

Oct 25, 2017
God I hope this turns out good. And it seems like they're targeting 2021, so maybe we'll see something more substantial in the coming months?

Apr 4, 2018
Vancouver, BC
Metro was only sorta-kinda inspired by STALKER, but it was made largely by ex-GSC devs. After they had a falling out with GSC management, they went and created 4A Games. Metro's similarities to STALKER stem largely from them being a Ukrainian developer, sharing a similar background and frame of reference with the rest of the GSC devs.

Ah, thanks for the heads-up. I love the Mtro games and always wanted to play Stalker, so I'll probably check one of them out.

Definitely more hyped for Stalker 2 now.

Carbon

Oct 27, 2017
How much of or is any of the original team in on this?
The split happened before the release of SoC, so it's possible some devs that stayed on and later created the sequels are still there. That said, it HAS been a while, and GSC's Management has long been rumored to not be the most dev-friendly. The dirty deets are probably out there on some Russian forum somewhere 🤷‍♂️

ginge

Jul 23, 2020
there's basically no one at GSC gameworld that made the original STALKER aside from the CEO in all likelihood, unless some devs came back. The studio was shut down in 2011 by the CEO for personal reasons then opened back up in 2014.

In any case I am very excited for this, it looks great!

Poimandres

Oct 26, 2017
can't help but feel this is going to be compromised to hell gameplay and AI wise compared to the OG STALKER games

This is what I'm most concerned about, especially the AI. I'd be totally satisfied if the graphics are average but the AI and gameplay systems live up to an expand upon the original games.

Budget wise, didn't the Metro games (well the original at least) have relatively small budgets? Maybe GSC will be able to impress, but I wouldn't go in exepcting uber polished AAA. I also think there's zero chance this launches in 2021 if they are really trying to capture the essence of the originals.

Modded STALKER is one of my favourite games of all time. I'm not letting myself get too hyped for this until we get extended gameplay.

DaciaJC

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Is it fair to say that what's going on outside the building is an Emission Event? I freaking loved those in Call of Pripyat.

I'd say that's a pretty good bet.

Blowout_soon.jpg

Akronis

Oct 25, 2017
This is what I'm most concerned about, especially the AI. I'd be totally satisfied if the graphics are average but the AI and gameplay systems live up to an expand upon the original games.

Budget wise, didn't the Metro games (well the original at least) have relatively small budgets? Maybe GSC will be able to impress, but I wouldn't go in exepcting uber polished AAA. I also think there's zero chance this launches in 2021 if they are really trying to capture the essence of the originals.

Modded STALKER is one of my favourite games of all time. I'm not letting myself get too hyped for this until we get extended gameplay.

Same. The folks who made STALKER between 2007 and 2009 are no longer at the company for the most part as well so it's even more worrying that we will get something extremely cut down.

as fucked as X-Ray was as an engine, the mod community did some AMAZING things with it. Even if the base game sucks, I really really hope they embrace the mod community again.

Poimandres

Oct 26, 2017
Same. The folks who made STALKER between 2007 and 2009 are no longer at the company for the most part as well so it's even more worrying that we will get something extremely cut down.

as fucked as X-Ray was as an engine, the mod community did some AMAZING things with it. Even if the base game sucks, I really really hope they embrace the mod community again.

At least in interviews etc the new team seems to understand what made the originals so appealing. Pretty sure they hired some folks who were involved in some of the STALKER mods and everyone seems passionate. Of course this could just be PR talk, but it all sounds good so far!

pksu

Oct 27, 2017
Finland
AFAIK this runs on Unreal Engine 4 and there are some neat examples of smaller teams creating good looking stuff on UE4 (when the overall scope of the game is reasonable).

Gabbo

Oct 25, 2017
I want it to be good, but that teaser isn't enough to build a lot of hope on given the tortured history this IP has

Carbon

Oct 27, 2017
AFAIK this runs on Unreal Engine 4 and there are some neat examples of smaller teams creating good looking stuff on UE4 (when the overall scope of the game is reasonable).
Let's see, to make a faithful sequel to STALKER, you'd need to make....
...a Shooter with RPG mechanics like dialog, quests, loot, dungeons, advanced world AI, a faction system, semi-realistic gun ballistics, good creature design, an engaging story, level-altering world events and traps.

I don't see how they could possibly fail.
I'm glad they're using a mainstream engine, but they've still got their work cut out for them.

Eugene's Axe

Jan 17, 2019
www.xbox.com

Xbox All Access: Xbox Console & Over 100 Games | Xbox

Xbox Series X|S, plus 24 months of Xbox Game Pass Ultimate, from $24.99 a month for 24 months.
Well, I don't have a PC. Got a PS 5 in case it ever comes to that though.
By the time its out they'll probably have streaming to TV and/or PC. That's always an option.
Streaming to TV would be great. Tried playing ORI on my Chromebook but it was too tiny.

Akronis

Oct 25, 2017
Let's see, to make a faithful sequel to STALKER, you'd need to make....
...a Shooter with RPG mechanics like dialog, quests, loot, dungeons, advanced world AI, a faction system, semi-realistic gun ballistics, good creature design, an engaging story, level-altering world events and traps.

I don't see how they could possibly fail.
I'm glad they're using a mainstream engine, but they've still got their work cut out for them.

yeah this lol

them replicating A-Life is easily the most work they'd have to deal with

Mr.Deadshot

Oct 27, 2017
I don't think it's a matter of the consoles, I meant it more as a matter of the team being small, and this having all the development issues it had for years. I just don't trust it being as good as they intend.

And that's okay. STALKER did not shine for its graphics entirely, it was mainly because of its unique gameplay systems and general atmosphere. That's way more important.
This had nothing to do with next-gen graphics but budget and actual engine at your disposal.

GSC last game was a strategic top down title, it's unresonable to think that they can make something that looks better than Metro Exodus while being indipendent and with several STALKER staff scattered across other studios worldwide.
Ah, ok. Budget concerns make sense. Don't they get money from Microsoft though?

wafflebrain

Oct 27, 2017
Stalker is my GOAT, and as much as I want this to be all it can be I'm massively skeptical current era GSC has the resources to do it justice.