• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
So for those that aren't in the know, S.T.A.L.K.E.R 2 was announced in May of last year for a 2021 release by GSC Game World. A lot of people thought this was bull but as we've seen from recent tweets, the team is hard at work in making the game. This was posted a few days ago.

Denis Rudoy who is a level designer over at GSC posted this photo (which was deleted after a bit) showing that he's ready for gamescom. Someone replied to it saying "Will there be a booth?" to which Rudoy replied with a "Shhh" emoji. While this on its own isn't really indicative of anything, this recent image of 10 GSC devs making their way to gamescom seems to heavily imply that the game will be there in some fashion.

e983737575f2baa4_original.png

9e284a4d892d6b8a_1920xH.jpg

While GSC Game World haven't officially announced their presence at gamescom, they're clearly there to either promote, make deals with publishers/investors or show off S.T.A.L.K.E.R 2 in some capacity. Hell, they might even announce an exclusive deal with Epic Games (something a lot of people have been theorizing about though I'm not 100% on this.) I'd love to see the game show up in Opening Night Live and considering Epic have a few things to announce, this might be one of them. Thoughts, Era?

Last edited:

DaciaJC

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
That's honestly quite surprising. Didn't think we'd see anything of this for at least another year.

Mentalist

Mar 14, 2019
I could see it. Galyonkin's big on courting Uki devs (4A, FrogWares), and UAH is one of the few currencies EGS supported from the get-go.

He was also the first to leak the game, implying it's running on Unreal, so this would not surprise me. Disappoint somewhat? Yes. Surprise? Not really.

It remains to be seen if the nu-GSC can recapture the lightning in the bottle that was S.T.A.L.K.E.R. The Cossacks remake they called Cossacks 3 for some reason was decent, but not amazing- I wasn't a fan of how they amplified the bonus damage to make battles faster and more decisive. Still, if they can get the atmosphere right again, and give me another romp in the hostile Zone that just unrelenting wants me dead, that's be great.

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
I hope it's good (and actually comes out lol) but I am very suspicious of whole thing.

Paragraf

May 31, 2019
Russia
Actually , the question was: "Will there be a booth?", but I don't think they a coming to gamescom just to sell some merchandise.

OP
OP
vestan

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
Actually , the question was: "Will there be a booth?", but I don't think they a coming to gamescom just to sell some merchandise.
Ah, thanks! Will correct that bit :)

Yeah I think the same too. Maybe it's just them showing it off in private but I'd love to see a public teaser trailer or something. Going by this thread, a lot of people still don't know this is being made, lol.

Ionic

Oct 31, 2017
I just finished Call of Pripyat last week and have been thinking about what the sequel could be up to.

Deleted member 28523

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 31, 2017
basically none of the original team is there so i doubt it'll capture the same feeling. probably be more like metro.

Acinixys

Banned
Nov 15, 2017
Probably my favourite game series and still the best open world FPS ever made

I'm hyped as fuck

Mentalist

Mar 14, 2019
basically none of the original team is there so i doubt it'll capture the same feeling. probably be more like metro.
On that note, anyone knows wth happened to Vostok Games?
They released "Fear the wolves" , that "battle royale but in the Zone" FPS for Focus last year that quickly died (I think? Didn't really follow it since I'm not into multi-player stuff), and then we haven't heard anything since.
Is Survarium still a thing? Are they finally making some kind of single-player game? Is the studio dead?

Siresly

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
If it'll be shown it'll be logos and some CG.
At least this Epic moneybag would be timely, what with 2 years of development to go.

Stalker 2 is such a weird thing. Not only because it's a niche-y property that's been dormant for a decade.
But, what even is GSC Game World these days? Who are these people and what are they doing with Stalker?

Poimandres

Oct 26, 2017
This is my big worry. It might regress into being focused primarily on flashy scripted set pieces instead of the simulated chaos of the Zone.

They have talked about the team being huge fans of the original and understanding what makes it unique, so that's promising at least.

I won't be getting my hopes up though. No one has managed to make a proper successor in the last decade plus, so it's clearly not an easy task. My main worry is that they won't have the ambitious focus on AI that the original games did. That's what I really want!

Akronis

Prophet of Regret - Lizard Daddy
Oct 25, 2017
Literally the game I've been looking forward to the most but I imagine since most key staff left years ago for 4A and Vostok, it will not live up to any hype. We'll see though.

They need to nail A-Life and mod support.

Oreoleo

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
I am genuinely surprised that real people are actually really working on the game.

The announcement that it was back in development seemed pretty bogus at the time.

Edit: Oh fuck it's totally gonna be EGS exclusive isn't it.

Deleted member 4783

Oct 25, 2017
I am genuinely surprised that real people are actually really working on the game.

The announcement that it was back in development seemed pretty bogus at the time.

I don't give a shit if it's exclusive to the EGS as long as it is good and cheeki breeki.

Gimme

Carbon

Deploying the stealth Cruise Missile
Oct 27, 2017
I have zero faith in this
Same.

Most of the people originally responsible for STALKER have all moved on to other studios, so who knows what GSC could come up with these days.
I just wish SOMEONE would make a game like STALKER, even if it has a different theme and setting. I just doubt GSC are still the ones to make that game.

Poimandres

Oct 26, 2017

Don't forget the original STALKER was in dev hell for years and plenty of people were skeptical it would ever release but it got there in the end. Having a largely unknown dev team is actually in keeping with the original series.

This is also one case where I am pretty okay with EGS being involved. On a project like this that currently doesn't have a publisher a few million from Epic could really be put to good use.

Mentalist

Mar 14, 2019
Same.

Most of the people originally responsible for STALKER have all moved on to other studios, so who knows what GSC could come up with these days.
I just wish SOMEONE would make a game like STALKER, even if it has a different theme and setting. I just doubt GSC are still the ones to make that game.
Chernobylite is being made by a Polish dev, but one of the narrative leads from GSC is on the team.

Aeroucn

Oct 27, 2017
I forgot this game was in development, hopefully they deliver since the original was soooo good

UnluckyKate

Oct 25, 2017
Same.

Try Metro Exodus.

Best Stalker game since last Stalker game.

Also, a very good way forward for a Metro game (also try Metro games, they are very much linear stalker)