• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

GillianSeed79

Oct 27, 2017
South Dakota governor gives Native American tribes 48 hours to remove checkpoints which aim to bar non-essential visitors entering
South Dakota Governor Kristi Noem on Friday told Native American tribes they have 48 hours to take down road checkpoints they had set up to keep out unnecessary visitors because of concerns over the coronavirus.

The Republican governor said she would take legal action if the tribes didn't remove the checkpoints in 48 hours.

Two tribes - the Oglala Sioux Tribe and the Cheyenne River Sioux Tribe - set up the checkpoints last month in an attempt to lock down their reservations amid fears infections could decimate members.

The move sets up a potential legal showdown between a governor who has avoided sweeping stay-at-home orders and tribes that assert their sovereign rights allow them to control who comes on reservations.

The tribes have taken stronger action than the state because they are concerned the virus could overwhelm fragile health care systems that serve many people with underlying health problems.

They are still allowing essential businesses on to the reservations and said the checkpoints were set up to keep out tourists or other visitors who could be carrying coronavirus infections.

'I request that the tribes immediately cease interfering with or regulating traffic on US and State Highways and remove all travel checkpoints,' Noem said in a statement.

Her spokeswoman Maggie Seidel said the checkpoints are illegal and the tribes should have taken them down last month after the Bureau of Indian Affairs said that tribes can close or restrict traffic on roads, but only if they get the permission of the owner of the road.

A statement from the governor's office said the tribes have not consulted or gotten an agreement from the state.

But the Cheyenne River Sioux Tribe said that it had met with local, state and federal officials to discuss the checkpoints and will not take them down.

Tribal chairman Harold Frazier issued a statement addressing Noem, saying, 'You continuing to interfere in our efforts to do what science and facts dictate seriously undermine our ability to protect everyone on the reservation.'

Chase Iron Eyes, a spokesman for Oglala Sioux president Julian Bear Runner, said he expected the tribe to defend its rights as a sovereign nation to keep out threats to their health.

'We'd be interested in talking face to face with Governor Noem and the attorney general and whoever else is involved,' he said.

I get that the roads the checkpoints are on might be owned by the state and federal government, but the reservations themselves are not part of the United States and are considered part of a sovereign nation. The governor, who has done nothing in response to Covid-19, has a lot of nerve trying to tell them who they can and can't have on their land.

Tribal chairman Harold Frazier issued a statement addressing Noem, saying, 'You continuing to interfere in our efforts to do what science and facts dictate seriously undermine our ability to protect everyone on the reservation.'

Terra Torment

Banned
Jan 4, 2020
In my view, the least we can do for Native Americans is to give them as much sovereignty as they like over their own land.

Lost Lemurian

Nov 30, 2019
What is the point of interfering with these checkpoints? They're clearly a rational and low-impact way to keep the tribespeople safe, and they don't seem to be interfering with business, so why demand they be taken down? Is it just racism again? Are racists this petty? I don't understand.

Antydotes

One Winged Slayer
Dec 3, 2017
I live in the state, and I can tell you everybody I've talked to at least strongly dislike her. Though she'll still win reelection since this state is deep red.

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
"I'm not sure why we should be held responsible for things that white people did hundreds of years ago."

grand

Oct 25, 2017
Technically the governor is right about federal and state highways being in the government's jurisdiction. But it's terrible optics to tell Native Americans what to do about their land and to not worry about infectious diseases.

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
They basically told her to fuck off so I wonder where it goes from here.

ShadowSwordmaster

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
What is the point of interfering with these checkpoints? They're clearly a rational and low-impact way to keep the tribespeople safe, and they don't seem to be interfering with business, so why demand they be taken down? Is it just racism again? Are racists this petty? I don't understand.
Have you not been paying attention to what Trump and the GOP are doing for the past couple of weeks or the past four years?

krazen

Oct 27, 2017
Gentrified Brooklyn
All because the GOP can't help but getting shitty brownie points for their base. Fucked up thing is as if they weren't hypocrites (and racist) a bunch of US citizen taking the law into their own hands to protect the community should cause a Republican to orgasm so hard they might stroke out

Mar 27, 2018
They're an apparently sovereign nation that gets trampled on at every opportunity. They have no say in the pipelines and highways that cross their lands.

The governor is overstepping, leave these people alone

djplaeskool

Oct 26, 2017
They basically told her to fuck off so I wonder where it goes from here.

Legal proceedings, most likely.
This will be an interesting test of sovereignty because Native tribes have had a fair number of legal victories when it comes to how current federal and state laws and treaties are executed.

TheMango55

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
I live in the state, and I can tell you everybody I've talked to at least strongly dislike her. Though she'll still win reelection since this state is deep red.

yeah I'm familiar with that at a county leve where I am.

"Damn these commissioners are all incompetent, corrupt, and idiots. But what are we gonna do, vote for a democrat?"

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I feel like if you give a racist an opportunity to be extremely petty to an oppressed group they're pretty much always going to do it because I feel like pettiness is one of the defining traits of racist

Gaia Lanzer

Oct 25, 2017
"I'm not sure why we should be held responsible for things that white people did hundreds of years ago."
Makes me wonder if they are thinkin' "White people invaded our land and brought diseases with them hundreds of years ago... and now they want to do it again!"

Anything regarding the mistreatment of Native Americans pisses me off. South Dakota's Governor can go to Hell!

night814

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
Pennsylvania
Makes me wonder if they are thinkin' "White people invaded our land and brought diseases with them hundreds of years ago... and now they want to do it again!"

Anything regarding the mistreatment of Native Americans pisses me off. South Dakota's Governor can go to Hell!
They would be totally justified if that is their belief

CthulhuSars

Oct 25, 2017
I fully support the Tribes view on this one. Here in my state the Navajo Nation is being hit hard with Covid-19. It is absolutely necessary to protect these people even if national roads go through their lands I believe in a crisis like this they have every right to stop traffic coming in.

frankenstrat

Oct 27, 2017
Native communities across the country are getting hammered by this and this is what they get? Fuck off, Kristi.

linkboy

Oct 26, 2017
Reno

Kristi Noem is the walking definition of what the word bitch means.

She's a fucking useless waste of a person.

She's a petty, racist piece of shit who shouldn't be in charge of anything, much less a state.

If you haven't noticed, I can't stand a thing about her.

If there's one thing the South Dakota government is good at, it's fucking over the Native tribes here (I live in Rapid City).

They've been doing it since this area became a state (before if you want to get down to the point).

Hell, Mt. freaking Rushmore is a slap in the face to every Native American that lived/lives in the Black Hills.

This state doesn't give two shits about the Native Americans here.

Daphne

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Governor is completely in the wrong here. Even if the law winds up on her side, that's just another law written to fuck over Native people. The fact this is only about letting tourists in for pleasure makes it even more infuriating. And the resonance this has with the history of bringing infectious diseases to Native American populations makes it yet more disgusting. They have the moral right to protect themselves.

Brannon

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
What in god's fuck is wrong with this governor?

Fine then, time for malicious compliance. The state owns the roads? Okay, but they don't own the buildings or the land off the roads. Just ban non-essential visitors from entering the buildings or land. Buildings include the parking lots.
Make a bunch of loud noises at scenic locations to run the mood. Achieves almost the same effect as checkpoints.

Deleted member 12790

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Trying to kill the "original mexicans"