• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Eriol

Oct 27, 2017
Santiago, Chile
Man i was watching some youtube feed and noticed some reviews, the leaked ryzen processors are living up to their name.

Watched some reviews already

It's one model so far and their variants Zephyrus G14 from Asus

AMD Ryzen 9 4900HS

and AMD Ryzen 7 4800HS

It's bonkers

Sedated

Apr 13, 2018
Yes cpu is great but new gpus coming up id say wait if anybody wants a laptop. Wait till black friday and decide then is always the best way to go. However if need is urgent then these are fantastic

Villein

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
4000 series is till Zen 2 ? or is it Zen2+ ? do we know if next gen consoles will be using 3000 or 4000 series ryzen ?

ApeEscaper

Oct 27, 2017
Bangladeshi
Hmm how's the AMD Ryzen 5 4600 version i wonder everything online only covering the more expensive Ryzen 7 and 9 versions, should be the more popular processor in mid price laptops

Komo

Info Analyst
Verified
Jan 3, 2019
I'd still not recommend to buy now since the cards now are outdated.

iamandy

Nov 6, 2017
Brasil
When I see this type of product, I am most impressed by the size of the value that a 399 or 499 console has.

jon bones

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
for $1400, i'll probably pick one of these G14s (or similar) once my MacBook finally bites it. seems like a good deal for the performance, and it's still relatively thin & light.

faint

Oct 27, 2017
Do these have Vega or Navi graphics?

4000 series is till Zen 2 ? or is it Zen2+ ? do we know if next gen consoles will be using 3000 or 4000 series ryzen ?

Ah, I thought these were APUs.

These are Zen 2 based APUs with embedded Vega cores. They just have Nvidia cards as supplementary GPUs.

SolidSnakeUS

Oct 25, 2017
I'm just waiting for the Ryzen 4000 CPUs. If this is any indication for the desktop CPUs, holy shit Intel should be shitting themselves even more.

kostacurtas

Oct 27, 2017
FYI according to leaks very soon laptops with Intel new CPUs (Comet Lake-H, 10th Gen Core) and Nvidia Super mobile GPUs will be also available:

Already we have some early listings:

phant0m

Oct 29, 2017
Looks really nice. Sadly the 2060 Max-Q isn't really enough of a jump to justify upgrading from my GS65 with i7-8750H / GTX 1070.

Apr 4, 2018
Vancouver, BC
Yes cpu is great but new gpus coming up id say wait if anybody wants a laptop. Wait till black friday and decide then is always the best way to go. However if need is urgent then these are fantastic

I'd say go for the laptop now. Mobile GPUs don't release day and date with desktop gpus, so we could be waiting another 9-12+ months before we see good new mobile gpus, unless AMD and Nvidia surprise us

Getting this Ryzen 4900HS with a RTX 2080 would be an amazing get, I hope they release them.

grmlin

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
Please Dell or Lenovo , please give me a proper mobile workstation using this. X1E that runs quiet for example. That would be awesome. I want to replace my MacBook Pro already

Theswweet

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
California
I originally had wanted to upgrade my old laptop to one of these, but it ended up falling apart and I had to get a new Intel laptop in November.

Great to see these deliver, at least! I'll probably get an AMD laptop next time.

JershJopstin

Oct 25, 2017

kami_sama

Oct 26, 2017
AMD releases their APUs (which includes all their laptop chips) much later under the next series. 2000 APUs were Zen, 3000 were Zen+, and now 4000 is Zen 2. I'm not sure why they don't just match the desktop CPUs.
Because they're pretty different than the desktop CPUs. This uses a monolithic die unlike desktop.
I would think the mobile division takes the work of the GPU and desktop ones and unifies everything into a single die.
IIRC they said this has vega and not RDNA because the schedules didn't match. Something similar probably happens with the CPU side of things.

janoGX

Banned
Nov 29, 2017
Chile
It's actually pretty decent looking for a gaming laptop. Check the intel equivalent monstrosities in the linus video.

Dell has the right looks for a gaming laptop on the intel side, the G series (I have a G3) and the last Alienware laptops (m-15 specifically) look great for work and gaming. Lenovo's gaming series also look great on their last releases. MSI and ACER have these awful looks, and actually, we're moving little by little into an era where "less is more" for gaming laptop looks.

Deleted member 49611

Nov 14, 2018
The CPU is nice but unless you can't wait then wouldn't buy it. They aren't bad but there will be new GPUs soon from both AMD and Nvidia.

grmlin

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
The CPU is nice but unless you can't wait then wouldn't buy it. They aren't bad but there will be new GPUs soon from both AMD and Nvidia.
Does the 4900 come with an integrated VEGA GPU? I don't need a gaming GPU at all, and something comparable with my old RX 470 in my desktop would be more than enough.

Poison Jam

Nov 6, 2017
Does the 4900 come with an integrated VEGA GPU? I don't need a gaming GPU at all, and something comparable with my old RX 470 in my desktop would be more than enough.
It should have the new 7nm Vega 8 graphics. It's said to be notably more performant than the Vega 8 in previous Ryzen APUs. Add in support for higher frequency memory for more bandwidth, and SmartShift for better power-delivery, and you've probably got a pretty decent APU.

I don't think it'll match an RX 470, but it should be awesome for everyday use.

grmlin

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
It should have the new 7nm Vega 8 graphics. It's said to be notably more performant than the Vega 8 in previous Ryzen APUs. Add in support for higher frequency memory for more bandwidth, and SmartShift for better power-delivery, and you've probably got a pretty decent APU.

I don't think it'll match an RX 470, but it should be awesome for everyday use.
Thank you!

I don't need the laptop for gaming, but it has to drive an external 4K monitor. Let's wait and see what other manufacturers do, I hope more announcements will follow soon.